Lucasfilms grand Oscar campaign

Discussion in 'Revenge of the Sith' started by ROTS_Obi1, Dec 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Ford_Prefect Force Ghost

star 4
    Munich-- Another Spielberg film. This one had better be good. Frankly, I'm getting tired of his shtick. Besides, he's got two Oscars already.

King Kong-- Another Peter Jackson movie. Again, I'm sure it'll be fun, but just because it's going to be three hours long doesn't mean it'll be any more deserving of the academy's recognition than ROTS. When you get right down to it, KK will just be another pop-corn blockbuster movie.

I'm starting to think that if Lucas released his movies near Christmas, that'd be all it would take to garner a nomination.

Brokeback Mountain-- Well, Ang Lee can only go up from The Hulk.

Syriana-- Looks okay, but it sure ain't the second coming of Traffic people are making it out to be.

Good Night, and Good Luck-- Actually forgot about this one. Good movie, actually wouldn't be undeserving of awards. Besides, it's directed by an actor, and the academy loves that.

My main complaint would be if KK were nominated and ROTS weren't. I don't understand why Lucasfilm isn't pushing consideration for Oscars. Granted, I know they're about as meaningful as Monopoly money, but still. I'd like to see my favorite franchise win.

Besides, that LOTR: ROTK win is seeming more and more ridiculous as more time passes. If I see one more damn elf, I think I'll puke.

2. G-FETT Force Ghost

star 7
    Well, it's nice to see that Lucasfilm is putting ROTS forward to at least be considered for nominations. Thats more than they did for AOTC, I think? As ROTS is Lucas's final Star Wars movie, I think theres a chance they may throw him a bone or two this time. Obviously they won't give an acting award to Ian (he probably won't even be nominated) But I don't think a Visual Effects and Sound Editing award is out of the question. I would LOVE Trisha Bigger to get something for all her amazing work over the three movies, but she probably won't. All of this depends on King Kong not being well recieved, of course. ;)

In relation to Ian Mcdiarmid, I agree with Tyrannus, he should be nominated, but probably won't be. However, it might not be out of the question that he may get a Golden Globe or BAFTA nomination - Sometimes these awards don't mind so much about making a few surprise nominations. :)
  3. Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus

star 5
    If the academy does toss some nominations to fantasy/sci-fi films they'll give it to King Kong and Narnia since the Academy only has a month long memory. Revenge of the Sith and Batman Begins are just as deserving of nomination as any of the "Oscar bait" films. They are both among the best reviewed films of the year and they raise the bar for the fantasy and comic book genre.

If Trisha Biggar doesn't get nominated I'll pull my hair out. Her worked on the Prequel Trilogy has been masterful and it was a crime she hasn't even been nominated yet. It takes far more talent for someone to create something from scratch then to base it on something that already existed.

Return of the King won not because it was the best Lord of the Rings film or the best film of the year. It won because Peter Jackson completed a massive undertaking and did so brilliantly. For well over six years he made three epic films at once and he was deservedly awarded for it.

However his story doesn't compare to the achievement of George Lucas completing the Star Wars Saga. Over 30 years in the making Lucas has not just created a cinematic marvel he has actually created a modern myth that has become a part of our culture. He changed film making forever and then changed it again with digital cinema.

Star Wars transcends cinema and for that reason he should be recognized for his accomplishment unparalleled in film history. Lucas deserves a "Honorary" Oscar for completing a story that took 30 years to tell and creating a new form of film making.
  4. Cryogenic Force Ghost

star 4
    I'll be perfectly honest here:

Since Guinness was only nominated and didn't win for the original Star Wars film, McDiarmid deserves nothing more than a nomination himself. I am a staunch fan of both actors, but in artistic terms, they're pretty much equal - giving an actual award to McDiarmid for his performance in the saga when Guinness didn't get one would be skewed. That's just me, however. I can't even see it happening.
  5. WEEBACCA Jedi Master

star 4
    King Kong-- Another Peter Jackson movie. Again, I'm sure it'll be fun, but just because it's going to be three hours long doesn't mean it'll be any more deserving of the academy's recognition than ROTS. When you get right down to it, KK will just be another pop-corn blockbuster movie.

I agree. KK will turn out to be the year's biggest disappointment. People seem to think it's gonna be LOTR all over again just because it's Peter Jackson directing it.
    It won't win any Oscars, but will possibly be nominated in some of the technical categories.

Besides, that LOTR: ROTK win is seeming more and more ridiculous as more time passes. If I see one more damn elf, I think I'll puke.

Yeah, ROTK winning 11 Oscars was what killed the Academy Awards for my part. It was the most stupid moment of the many stupid moments in the history of the Academy Awards. Personally I haven't really cared much for the awards from that day.

6. RamRed Force Ghost

star 4

Why do you consider Sam Jackson as a nominee for Best Supporting Actor as a joke? He has been nominated in this category before.
  7. WEEBACCA Jedi Master

star 4
    I see your point, but it would also depend on who else is nominated. If there was stronger competition when Guiness was nominated than if/when McDiarmid is nominated then it would be OK to give the Oscar to McDiarmid even if Guiness' performance was just as great. :)
  8. DarthSapient Jedi Youngling

star 10
    Very cool find. I've never seen one of those before. The one thing I'm hoping for is special effects and Best Actor/supporting actor to Ian McDiarmid. More than anything, I'd like to see it win Film of the Year, but historically I shouldn't hold my breath.
  9. Philip023 Jedi Youngling

star 3
    By the numbers:

- Best Supporting Actor: Ian McDiarmid? He's probably the only actor worth merit across all three films and into the OT. But they don't give Oscars for work across different films. In this sense, he loses.

- Best Cinematography? How can you give best cinematography to a film that has nothing but digital landscapes?

- Best Original Score? Played out. John Williams gives us nothing new in this film with the execption of a few songs. The title song is the same, Duel of the Fates is the same. There's nothing new that we can call a new body of work. He probably won't even be nominated.

- Best Sound Mixing? A probable nomination and perhaps a win.

- Best Costume Design? iffy. We don't have much new in this movie in terms of costumes. There might be a nomination but I doubt it.

- Best Visual Effects: a probable nomination and perhaps a win.

ROTS best movie of the year? Maybe top 10, but not the best. Walk the Line will probably get that nod.
  10. Ekenobi Jedi Master

star 4
  11. darth-sinister Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Well, doesn't the Academy have a new rule that prevents film sequel scores from being nominated. Since half the scores are old material combined with some new stuff. I thought I saw something about that two years ago.
  12. Jumpman Jedi Master

star 4
    Yes, they do sinister. Williams' Episode III score will not be eligible for nomination. It's not like the Academy is going to award anything with the name Star Wars on it anyway in this day and age.

Sad really...
  13. Adm_Thrawn Jedi Master

star 4
    Films like Capote, Brokeback Mountain, and North Country give the Academy all the excuses they'll ever need to push RotS off to the side as an honorable mention. Agreed. Sad.
  14. Jumpman Jedi Master

star 4
    Well, Episode III was never going to get a Best Picture nomination anyway. It's Star Wars. It's Lucas. Those are two marks against it, no matter how good the film actually is.

The real shame about Episode III is that, on the technical side, it will not be rewarded properly. If the Academy, critics, and voters were really honest and fair with themselves over the last 6 years of the Academy, the Prequel Trilogy would've already had two Academy Awards for Visual Effects, Costumes, Sound Design, and Production Design.

With this year's award show, they would win those categories to complete the awards' trilogy.
  15. WEEBACCA Jedi Master

star 4
    - Best Cinematography? How can you give best cinematography to a film that has nothing but digital landscapes?

There's not only digital landscapes in the movie. A lot is real footage combined with digital (e.g. footage from Etna for Mustafar) And cinematography involves lighting and composition not only "who's got the most beautiful landscape" which all the SW movies excells at. But the members of the Academy hates any digital stuff instead of real - so in a way you're right about that it won't win any Oscars.

- Best Original Score? Played out. John Williams gives us nothing new in this film with the execption of a few songs. The title song is the same, Duel of the Fates is the same. There's nothing new that we can call a new body of work. He probably won't even be nominated.

Don't forget that all three LOTR movies won for Best Original Score, even if there was mostly the same recurring themes in them. ROTS should have a good chance for a nomination at least.
  16. Jumpman Jedi Master

star 4
    " There's not only digital landscapes in the movie. A lot is real footage combined with digital (e.g. footage from Etna for Mustafar) And cinematography involves lighting and composition not only "who's got the most beautiful landscape" which all the SW movies excells at. But the members of the Academy hates any digital stuff instead of real - so in a way you're right about that it won't win any Oscars."

Thank you....
  17. Tyranus_the_Hutt Jedi Master

star 4
    If the academy does toss some nominations to fantasy/sci-fi films they'll give it to King Kong and Narnia since the Academy only has a month long memory.

Although "Kong" and "Narnia" could very well be terrific films, the Academy is notorious for having a short collective memory when it comes to assessing high-quality pictures for Oscar consideration. Movies that have been released in the first half of the year are traditionally, though not always, overlooked in favor of the more recent fall offerings, most of which have been positioned in order to draw the attention of Academy voters. There are exceptions, of course, including films such as "Braveheart," "Apollo 13," and "Fargo," but for the most part, movies released in the last four months of the year have a better shot at obtaining prestigious award notices.

Revenge of the Sith and Batman Begins are just as deserving of nomination as any of the "Oscar bait" films. They are both among the best reviewed films of the year and they raise the bar for the fantasy and comic book genre.

You?re right. Those two titles are by far my favorite mainstream offerings of the year thus far, and yet it is unlikely that either will be recognized by the Academy with major nominations.

If Trisha Biggar doesn't get nominated I'll pull my hair out.

I hope you have a cap.;)

Her worked on the Prequel Trilogy has been masterful and it was a crime she hasn't even been nominated yet. It takes far more talent for someone to create something from scratch then to base it on something that already existed.

It?s quite unfortunate that she hasn?t yet received a nomination for her stunning work on these pictures; regardless of whether or not you think Episodes I-III are good films, it is difficult to dismiss the craft and imagination that went into designing those costumes.

Return of the King won not because it was the best Lord of the Rings film or the best film of the year.

Although I think that "Return of the King" is a very good film, and the most dramatically engaging of the three "Lord of the Rings" installments, I agree that it wasn?t the best film in its year of release. Of the films nominated for Best Picture in 2004, "Mystic River," "Lost in Translation," and "Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World," were all vastly superior works, in my opinion. However, I do prefer ROTK to the one Best Picture contender I have not yet mentioned, "Seabiscuit."

It won because Peter Jackson completed a massive undertaking and did so brilliantly. For well over six years he made three epic films at once and he was deservedly awarded for it.

This is mostly accurate, yet is indicative of one of the underlying problems of the A.M.P.A.S. ? they are too easily influenced by strategic marketing campaigns and imposed political matters. How else can one explain that the Weinsteins and Mirimax were able to get at least one of their films nominated for Best Picture every year for 10+ years? Are "The Cider House Rules" and "Chocolat" really "great" movies deserving of multiple Oscar nominations? I don?t think so. And yet look at some of the movies they beat out to land among the five finalists in the Best Picture category: "Being John Malkovich"; "Three Kings"; "Boys Don?t Cry"; "Magnolia"; "Almost Famous"; "You Can Count on Me"; "Wonder Boys"; "Pollock"; and so on. This really doesn?t make any sense to me, but it does explain why an institution that is ostensibly committed to honoring excellence in the art and science of motion pictures would hand out 11 Oscars to ROTK as a political gesture ? in other words, to give acknowledgement to Jackson?s considerable accomplishment through the bestowment of accolades onto his picture.

However his story doesn't compare to the achievement of George Lucas completing the Star Wars Saga. Over 30 years in the making Lucas has not just created a cinematic marvel he has actually created a modern myth that has become a part of our culture. He changed film making forever a
  18. Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Howard Shore won for best score for Fellowship of the Ring and when the Academy excluded The Two Towers from being nominated he protested this ruling and I think the Academy overturned it because he nominated and did win best score for Return of the King. Considering the amount of new material in Revenge of the Sith Williams should also be nominated.

And win.

Lucas has already received the Irving G. Thalberg award in 1992 for his "career achievement."

True but Walt Disney also received the Irving G. Thalberg award and was awarded an honorary Oscar for the creation of Mickey Mouse. Why can't Lucas get one for creating Star Wars. While we'll at it let's give a lifetime achivement Oscar to Christopher Lee as well.
  19. lovelucas Force Ghost

star 4
    that's what i was trying to remember - i know there was a campaign by either the composer or the entire rings entourage - but it worked; he did receive the oscar for RotK with all the music from the first two parts of the trilogy part of the score.

john williams deserves this for:
    battle of the heros, ruminations, general grievous, order 66 - and just the amazing juxtaposition of previous themes used in entirely different ways (the force, across the stars, etc) that meshed so well with the story of RotS.

think of the opening battle...
  20. WarGodAchilles Jedi Padawan

I love ROTS but after seeing the sneak peek of Syriana ROTS doesn't have a shot. Syriana is a dark geopolitical thriller that is thought-provoking and intellectually stimulating.
  21. spacerocker Jedi Master

star 4
    Actually The Two Towers did not win for Best Original Score.
  22. Fat_Bird Jedi Knight

star 2
    Ewan was just as well-reviewed as Ian. His role was more substantial and he did a very good job of filling Alec G's shoes. I don't see why he isn't as deserving of it as Ian is.
  23. sithrules70 Jedi Master

star 4
    i dont think ewan is as good as ian but he is close and he is deffinitely the only one besides ian who can win something
  24. Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus

star 5
    They have a better chance of getting Golden Globe nominations which could in turn lead to Oscar nods.
  25. JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Grand Master

star 5

I think ROTS might win some technical awards,
    and that's about it. It's the technical and
    production side where Lucas shines, in Hollywood's
    opinion.

No one ever reads my signature! :_|
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.