Lucasfilms grand Oscar campaign

Discussion in 'Revenge of the Sith' started by ROTS_Obi1, Dec 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Formerly_Tukafo Jedi Knight

star 1
    Weebacca, you know as well as I do that hell will freeze over and pigs will fly before Sith will get any awards or nominations (apart from Sound Effects Editing or so but nobody pays attention to those awards anyway). And as much as I like Sith I wouldn't give it any awards either. Sith is a great escapist spectacle and there's nothing wrong with that but awards should go to more profound movies
  2. WEEBACCA Jedi Master

star 4
    I totally agree with you that ROTS won't win any Oscars. I also agree that awards and nominations is nothing we should pay attention of (especially the Oscars - LOTR:ROTK winning 11 ruined my relationship with the Oscars forever). But I would have given it awards, buckets full! An IMO ROTS is one of those profound movies (in my opinion the best movie since the OT). :)
  3. Formerly_Tukafo Jedi Knight

star 1
    We need to be careful not to talk too much about LOTR or the thread will be locked :)). However I thought LOTR was far more deserving of awards then for example Dances with wolves or Shakespeare in love or Chicago
  4. Tabula Rasa Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    Nobody cares about the Academy Awards anymore. The impact of the Oscars have dropped a great deal over the last ten years.
  5. skye_solo Jedi Knight

star 3
    The way they were handing out awards last year...IF, and that's a big if from looney fantasyland (cause the Academy would have to be in that frame of mind to give ROTS any awards save for FX) the film won anything they might as well accept it from the ol' Ranch with a breathtaking Pacific sunset in the background.
  6. appleseed Force Ghost

star 4
    When Saving Private Ryan didn't win Best Picture, the Oscars lost all legitimacy in my opinion.
  7. Formerly_Tukafo Jedi Knight

star 1
    Private Ryan is not without flaws, it can be seen as too sentimental, overtly melodramatic and simplistic. To say that the film MUST have won the Oscar is declaring it above and beyond any criticism and that's not justified.

8. Jedi_Ford_Prefect Force Ghost

star 4
    At least Lucas got an award from the French. Sure, it ain't a Palme D'Or, but it'd something Lynch got as well.

A big part of the French New Wave was Goddard and Trufaut expressing their love for kitschty American film noirs by making their own takes on them. I suppose the French understand Lucas' work in somewhat the same terms.
  9. TomPiltoff Jedi Knight

star 2
  10. WEEBACCA Jedi Master

star 4
    At least he won for Best Director. :)

I didn't know that. Was that awarded to him at the Cannes Festival this year? :)

11. Ekenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    Same here. That was a disgrace. Remember the look on Ford's face while reading the winner?
    :confused:
  12. appleseed Force Ghost

star 4
    Any move can be criticized no matter what awards it gets, so that arguement doesn't hold water. And Shakespere in Love over Saving Private Ryan? Absurd.

Just because the movie is patriotic towards America while at the same time condemning war does not make it too sentimental.
  13. Jedi_Ford_Prefect Force Ghost

star 4
    During the festival, yes, but not exactly a part of it. It was given to Lucas on a boat. I forget the exact nature of it all. I'm pretty sure Lynch got it as well, a few years back.

What are you guys talking about? Does this have something to do with Ford not being able to present Polanski's Oscar for The Pianist during the show?
  14. jwebb1970 Jedi Knight

star 2
  15. Jumpman Jedi Master

star 4
    ^Finally, some one with reason.

Visual Effects wise, Episode III is King this year. No question in my mind after I saw Kong last night. And yet, it won't get it and it's a damn shame. As stated above, the polish of ILM is what sets their work from others.

So the question is, why do we see it but nobody does when it's plain as day on the screen which film is better effects wise?

Seriously, it's going to baffle me to no end that Kong will win Best Visual Effects Oscar this year when two, far more superior films in terms of effects and as a film, are more deserving.
  16. jwebb1970 Jedi Knight

star 2
    Because Oscar voters will see KONG out of love for PJ (or vote for it without seeing it simply for their love of it's director and the media hype it has produced) and many probably never bothered to see ROTS. To them ROTS was just another chapter of SW and doesn't require their notice, despite the fact that KONG is a remake. PJ needs to do something post-LOTR that is truly original before Hollywood should bust out it's kneepads for him. However, don't confuse this as a PJ bash-he is very talented if not occasionally self-indulgent. Anyway, we SW fans know what was the best looking film of 2005 really was!

Thanks for considering me reasonable, Jumpman. I'm sure some hardcore LOTR fans out there do not. But I'll take Wookiees and Jedi over orcs and hobbits (or big-ass gorillas) any time, any day.
  17. DarthSapient Jedi Youngling

star 10
    I agree that the Oscars have made Peter Jackson their poster boy for fantasy and sci-fi to say, "See! You can say no longer we don't support this genre. Look at LotR and what we did for them."
  18. lovelucas Force Ghost

star 4
    and peter generates $ for the industry...
    george owns his creations. hollywood is a business - art is a secondary, and that might be an exaggeration, consideration.
  19. DarthSapient Jedi Youngling

star 10
    I completely agree. It is that simple. Lucas generates a lot of profit for himself and not the industry. Instead of Hollywood celebrating the independent filmmaker who made good on a dream, they ostracize him.
  20. Jumpman Jedi Master

star 4
    Thank you, Sapient. Excellent point. On top of all that, there is alot of techniques and equipment that he and his team have pioneered that has made him extremely wealthy. I'm sure that's a sore spot as well for some.

Speaking of Oscars and numbers, Kong only made 9.7 million on it's opening day. Perspective: All time Wednesdays( just a few numbers), Fellowship of the Ring=18 million. Episode I=28 million.

I ain't saying nothing.
  21. icqfreak Force Ghost

star 4
    Peter Jackson won't be doing anything original anytime soon, as he has the halo movie next, which is a story that he'll be adapting again, and then suppossedly after that he'll be doing the hobbit, which again is adapting an existing story, and of course both films will be blockbusters again, and it would be hilarious if halo got all these nominations just cuz peter jackson made it.
  22. JediRandy Jedi Youngling

star 4
    That's it for Kong's opening Wednesday? Sheesh. I'm surprised it's that low. (as if 10 mill is low, but comparativly speaking).
  23. Jumpman Jedi Master

star 4
    It's going to be extremely hard for it to make 100 million for it's opening five days. It has to have a number either or highter of 30 million on Friday.
  24. Alexander_DeLarge Jedi Youngling

star 1

This is true to a certain extent, but implying that had Lucas been inside the Hollywood loop he would have received the same accolades for the PT like Peter Jackson did for LOTR is proposterous. Why? Because unlike LOTR, which were spectacular in almost every facet, the PT was probably the single biggest disaster in film history. Save snippets of Sith, they were stinkbombs from start to finish.

25. JediRandy Jedi Youngling

star 4
    I don't think he was implying that.

But thanks for talking out of your patoot during the rest of your post! :p
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.