main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lucasfilms grand Oscar campaign

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by ROTS_Obi1, Dec 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darthviper107

darthviper107 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 26, 2003
    Video games? Heck yeah, 3 Star Wars games made it into the top 10 Bestsellers for 2005---better than any other movie-based games (better than any other single-themed series ever for that matter).

But this all makes you think, what does it really matter if you get an Academy Award anyway? People only remember when a single movie gets a lot of them, but not for each individual award. Besides that all it does is give you the rights to say, "Hey dude, I done got this 'ward last year, wOOt!"

2. Dezdmona

Dezdmona Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2005
    I agree Cryo. I'm terribly disappointed. Then I decided to stand back and look at it from a different POV.

I'm a little confused about all the comparisons to prior films.

Shouldn't each film be judged independently?

There's no doubt that Award voting is like High School, with cliques & groups.

Some people have an obvious bias and have no problem voting their bias.

But some people (who have a bias) will try to avoid being biased when the decision is difficult.
    When voting they will ultimately be swayed to vote in favor of someone they know and interacts within the system vs someone who stays on the ouside of the system - even if they do this unconsciously.

Then there are the folks who are able to vote purely on the merits of the work.

Sad to think the state of affairs is a popularity contest.

3. WEEBACCA

WEEBACCA Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 4, 2004
    I think it's a disgrace that ROTS only got one Oscar nomination (Best Make-Up). And a huge surprise (and disgrace) that it was not nominated for Best Visual Effects! (it clearly has effects far superior to Narnia, King Kong and War of the Worlds)!
    And why is it only 3 nominees in the Visual Effects category??!! It's usually 4 or 5 nominees!!!

TPM was nominated for 3 Oscars (Sound, Sound-effects editing and Visual Effects)
    AOTC was nominated for 1 Oscar (Visual Effects)

And ROTS, by far the best of the prequels, recieves only one!!!! nomination!!!!! If I had any respect left for the Academy Awards it's gone now!! :(

4. Obi-Chron

Obi-Chron Jedi Master star 4

Nov 11, 2003
    When it comes to entertainment value, the Oscar ratings are falling every year. The event is completely self-serving to industry members. It is about as exciting as Luke kissing Leia. Why do you think the Academy goes all out to find a top notch comedian to host the event every year?

Interesting tidbit I read on-line today on the Superbowl.com web site -- " The (previous) Super Bowl drew 42 percent more women viewers than the Academy Awards." Imagine how many fewer men will tune in.

5. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I'm still torqued about ROTS not getting a nomination for special effects. About the awards being crude, well I don't know anymore. Yesterday, at the 33rd Annual Annie Awards, the Clone Wars Volume 2 won in the Best Animated Television show category, and it beat a very good show that was going against it. I didn't think that the Clone Wars had a chance. Yet, here, they win. Now back to the other one, I didn't really expect ROTS to win, but for it to not get nominated, really bothered me. What appears to have happened is that the last two movies that came out close to the end of the year have overtaken anything that ROTS has done. King Kong, though not the financial monster that we thought it would be had some very good effects, and Narnia, who people were worried that all that Chrisitioan stuff would deter audiences away found itself in the number three spot domestically and also internationally for the 2005 box-office year. All in all, ROTS is going in the same pattern that TPM went. Two movies that were tops in the box-office, but were not as appreciated as other less making movies. Even though ROTS had better reviews, it still the same stuff.

6. Night_Sky

Night_Sky Jedi Master star 3

Aug 11, 2003
    Trisha Biggar was obviously snubbed (again). And the Best Visual Effect in WOTW is making Tom Cruise appear taller than Dakota Fanning.:p

When it comes to entertainment value, the Oscar ratings are falling every year. The event is completely self-serving to industry members.=D=

You know they're getting desperate for ratings when Jessica Alba is one of the presenters. In the past weren't Oscar presenters former winners or nominees? And are they still trying to get Brangelina® ?[face_sick]

7. annie_skywalker001

annie_skywalker001 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 14, 2002
    When it comes to entertainment value, the Oscar ratings are falling every year. The event is completely self-serving to industry members.

Right on the money.

I cannot believe this movie was snubbed in so many categories. I for one, am not watching this year's show. And I'm sure there are a lot more people out there who aren't going to either. The ratings will take a dive this year as well.

8. Boba_Fat83

Boba_Fat83 Jedi Master star 2

Feb 22, 2004
    ^^^
    Here, here.

9. Darth-Lutgerous

Darth-Lutgerous Jedi Master star 4

May 24, 2005
    It's a shame Revenge of the Sith wasn't nominated for more categories. The passion that many of the people put into this movie deserves to be recognized and I think the Academy was wrong not to include it in the categories it deserved to be in. Maybe because of its May release, which is a big disadvantage, it was forgotten, especially in: Art Direction, Visual Effects, Cinematography, Costume Design, Music Score, Sound Editing, and Sound Mixing. Even Lucas deserved to be recognized for his original work and direction.

10. Loco_for_Lucas

Loco_for_Lucas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 15, 2002
    Personally, I can see why Revenge of the Sith wasn't nominated for more categories. George Lucas doesn't appreciate his own films. The classic films he helped bring to life in the original Star Wars trilogy are dead to him, as far as he is concerned. He's gone on record to say how he was always dissatisfied with the look of those films, and how if anyone wants them, they're still on VHS out there somewhere. What sort of talk is that from a man who claims to care about our national heritage and fight for the cause of film preservation? To simply allow a set of adored and revolutionary films die and be forgotten, to wash his hands of them simply because they look dated? If George Lucas won't recognize the work and passion that went into creating the look and feel of the original Star Wars, to let them be abandoned for whoever wants to find them, to put down the work that went into those classic films, to throw away the time and ingenuity that went into the model work in favor of computer effects, if George Lucas is so fickle, if he refuses to acknowledge the work of those in the past, why should the Academy, or anyone for that matter, acknowledge the work of his teams in the present? Who's to say he won't look back and find Revenge of the Sith dated? If he doesn't see the value in the classic film, why should an Academy do it for him? Personally, I am glad he didn't get more nominations, honestly, because I don't think he deserves them.

11. WEEBACCA

Mar 4, 2004
    Ok, so you don't want Lucas get nominated because he doesn't deserve it (although I think he does), that's OK. He would only have been able to be nominated for Best Director and Best Original Screenplay anyway. But think of all the other people who has put down hard work in making ROTS??? Costume makers, SFX, Editors, sound-editors, etc. Don't they deserve nominations just because you don't like George Lucas???

12. WEEBACCA

Mar 4, 2004
    EDIT: oops! double-posted by mistake.

13. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Agreed. Right on the money. Ep.III is the closing chapter in what has become an enduring cultural mythos and one of the greatest film series of all time. While I never expected Ep.III to pull a Lord of the Rings, the fact that it has recieved so little attention disgusts me and ensures that I will defenitely NOT be watching the Oscars this year.

14. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    There is no need to waste time and debate with Loco_for_Lucas.
    He will go great lenghs to make the PT, Lucas and everyone involved look bad.

It's a FACT that this movie was ignored on purpose by the AA.
    Same with the other two Episodes. I mean, Best costumes for Road to Pertition when Trisha Biggar's work for AOTC was also nominated?!?!?! There is nothing special about the mid-depression gangster look in Perdition.

ROTS had the quality and the quanitity of SFX. The PT was the most innovative series in terms of SFX to date. Each Episode brought in a greater scale and new milestone achievements.

15. Loco_for_Lucas

Loco_for_Lucas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 15, 2002
    As I pointed out in my original post, if George Lucas doesn't recognize the hard work his crews put into classic films, why should anyone recognize the hard work his crews put into the Prequels?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.