main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lucky Germans!

Discussion in 'German Speaking FanForce' started by Obi_one_and_only, Aug 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    And Montana isn't interesting enough to make holidays there, right? ;)

(Btw. I knew a horse that was called Monatana. ;) )

2. MacCaffrey

MacCaffrey VIP star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 2000
    It seems so. ;)

3. canislupus1818

canislupus1818 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 11, 2005
    Montana's a nice place to go ... if you like trees and great streches of nothingness. (Or you just want to test the limits of your car's engine.)

4. JediMinnow608

JediMinnow608 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 4, 2005
    That almost sounds like Nebraska or even South Dakota! [face_thinking] Or even some areas of Iowa!

But then again I've traveled down to Texas over to Tennesse and up to Wisconsin! And the one thing I've noticed is that regardless of where you go...cities, and town are sometimes 5 to 25 miles from the interstate!

5. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Up to 25 miles? I heard about wide landscapes, but is it really true that there isn't a single house between the towns?

6. JediMinnow608

Sep 4, 2005
    It's true enough on the interstates! But on the 2 lane roads, sometimes it could be 5 to 10 miles before you see a house (That's if it's not on a dirt or gravel road)!

(Single house between the towns are known as farmhouses/farmsteads!)

7. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Do you know how it works for them if a person, who lives in one of these farmhouses, gets ill or need help in another case?

(Thanks, Minnow. :) )

8. JediMinnow608

Sep 4, 2005

Do you mean if they're ill/hurt and need medical help!?!? If so, here we have a system called 911 emergency! (All houses have addresses here) All you do is call and tell them what type of help you need and where you are, and they stay on the line with you till help get to you!

Also if a farmer can't work on they're corps or animals, other farmers will lean helping hands till the owner can work again!

9. Nirnaeth

Nirnaeth Jedi Youngling star 2

May 30, 2005
    Hi Minnow! :D

this 911-emergency system sounds really effective...but...how long does it take them to reach one of those farmhouses lost in the middle of nothingness?

10. JediMinnow608

Sep 4, 2005
    Hi Nirnaeth! :)

:confused: nothingness?!?

[face_thinking]
    I think you mean nowhere, right!?!?!

I say a mile a minute! So if the farmhouse is 15 miles from town it take about, I say 20 minutes (give or take)!

11. Nirnaeth

Nirnaeth Jedi Youngling star 2

May 30, 2005
    nowhere...exactly![face_blush]
    I knew there was something strange about "nothingness" but I couldn't come up with the correct expression...[face_blush]

My head's quite a mess right now...I'd better go to bed...

12. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    That's what I meant, Minnow. Somehow I forgot to write the rest of the sentences. :p

Sounds like a good system and it's good that they stay on line until help is there. :)

13. gaiatha

gaiatha Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002
    Hi Minnow :)
    I get the feeling our english will improve a lot with you being around :D ;)

Seriously I have no idea how the emergency call in Germany works. We also have one number you call everywhere in Germany in case of a medical emergency: 19222.
    Gladly I've never had to call it yet but I'm not sure if they only note down what happened where, tell you that help is on the way and hang up?!?!? Sounds strange to me.

Edit: btw What do I call in case my house is burning down (what will never happen, hopefully) 112 or 110???

14. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    I never heard about the number 19222. Can it be that it is some kind of local number?
    I learned - whereever I did the First Aid Courses and even in my study - that 112 is the number you have to call, when you need an emergency physician and/or ambulanz.

And I think 112 is also for the fire department, because 110 is only the police.

15. gaiatha

gaiatha Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002
    Nope, I checked that again and it's a number you can call from everywhere in Germany.
    Strange you've never heard about it...
    But I think it doesn't really matter which number you call, 110,112 or 19222 I'm sure you will get help. ;)

16. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Or I have heard of it, but forget it directly because 112 is easier to remember. :p

Yep, about getting help through the various numbers, I think the same. :)

17. JediMinnow608

Sep 4, 2005
    Hi gaiatha
    Thank you, one can hope!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.