main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Luke and Leia should reconnect with Padme's family!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Boba Frett, Jul 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boba Frett

Boba Frett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 21, 1999
    I know this may have been discussed before, but with the Solos having lost so much of their families, it would be interesting to see them make contact with/establish relationships with Padme's side of the family.

There were her father and mother (who probably would have passed): Ruwee (( and Jobal .

Then there were was her sister, Sola. . The databank on her says:
    Padmé's elder sister, Sola Naberrie had settled into the quiet life that her parents wished for their youngest daughter. Sola found happiness in marriage and motherhood, and would take delight in playfully teasing Padmé about any young men that would make likely suitors, much to Padmé's exasperation. Sola had two pretty young daughters, Ryoo and Pooja. Sola lived close to her parents, Ruwee and Jobal, and would visit often.

Sola met Darred Janren while studying at the university, and married the young architect shortly after graduation. Recognizing the value of the Naberrie name throughout Theed's social and political circles, the two agreed to keep it as the family name.

So there's an Aunt to Luke and Leia, and at least two cousins. I think it may be late in the game, but not TOO late to bring the family back together. There's definitely story potential there. It doesn't have to be sedate and boring- I think it would be interesting as a side story, where all of a sudden, someone shows up at Leia's door and says, "I'm your cousin, and I'm in danger."

Let's not forget that Luke had gone in search of details about his mother in the Bantam era.

2. snelson

snelson Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 21, 2005
    i agree. it is possible jobal and ruwee are living in 43 aby as you know humans can live up to 120 in star wars. and luke was tricked into believing akanah was his mother. it is possible padme and akanah knew each other.

3. El-Elyon

El-Elyon Jedi Grand Master star 2

Feb 27, 2002
    padme is boring, likely something associated with her would be boring.:rolleyes:
    tho it would give han and leia something to do, tho they're really getting on aren't they? o_O

4. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    It sounds like a good idea but at this point I'm not sure what Padme would mean to Luke and Leia at this point. They're into their 60's now and currently are stuck in that FOTJ arc. It's not like you can wedge in meeting the Naberrie's in a flashback novel like Tatooine Ghost or Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor.

If they haven't gone to Naboo by now, they never will.

5. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    :eek:

:p

6. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    They should meet, and joyously exchange information and catch up on each others' lives. And they should have a family reunion each year.

And we shouldn't see it.

We just don't need to watch Luke sit around and chitchat with his relatives. We don't need a whole book devoted to characters sitting around telling each other things we already know. A short story wouldn't be bad, and I'd like to see greater acknowledgment of the Naboo Skywalker relatives in the books -- Ryoo and Pooja being at Luke's sendoff in Outcast, for example, or Mara's funeral, or one of them calling Leia to lend her some support after Luke's exile. They should hover around on the fringes of the story -- they should be there, and they should be connected, yes. But making it the focus of a book would be unnecessary, I think. We don't need to go back to 36 ABY just for that, at least not in any form longer than a short story.

7. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

Why? What's the point? Neither gives a mullet haircut for each other. And the last thing I want is more baby names like Pooja in a book.

Oh what do I care. Not buying it, am I? Ha.

8. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Leia already knows of Pooja's existence. Pooja was a fellow Imperial Senator, but neither knew that they were cousins until the New Republic was well established.

9. NelanisGhost

NelanisGhost Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 24, 2006
    I agree OP, I have been waiting and waiting for this. Apparently authors seem to think bores like Boba Fett deserve more page time than the actual family of Luke and Leia. And a million other unmemorable bit players that are here in one book and gone the next.

10. bnxian

bnxian Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 27, 2005
    If they ever come up with a reason to go to Naboo, which considering every planet they've been too I'm surprised that they never have traveled there (to the best of my knowledge). it could, be oh! look what r2 found.. a chapter or two and then move on with whatever brought them to the planet in the first place..

r2 knows all

11. Pelranius

Pelranius Jedi Master star 5

Apr 25, 2003
    The Nabierres have probably gone the same place as Yoda's species.

12. Bill-Thompson

Bill-Thompson Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 4, 2008
    I would be in favor of it. I happened to like Tatooine Ghost a good deal, and would enjoy another tale of family discovery where a big galactic threat or huge adventure isn't really the pull of the novel.

13. Ambassador Cara Jade

Ambassador Cara Jade Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 23, 1999
    When did that happen?

14. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Per Hav.

15. QuentinGeorge

QuentinGeorge Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 12, 2003
    As Havac pointed out, they've already reunited, eight years before the FOTJ series.

16. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Which is why they should tell the story.

Have the last of Palpatine's Dark Jedi be gathering to his secret Sith Temple in the swamps of Naboo, Han and Ben and Mara and Jacen and Jaina being busy somewhere else, so Luke and Leia go in, and run into their family who help them around Naboo as they learn more about their mother and cousins. Maybe their Aunt Sola and grandparents are still alive too, they definitely could be.

It could take place as a standalone novel between Dark Nest and legacy of the Force.

17. NelanisGhost

NelanisGhost Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 24, 2006
    This could still be a thread of a story if we ever get teh gaps filled in between DNT and LOTF

18. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    In a few sentences in a sourcebook, sure. I'd rather not waste a novel.

Or maybe a short story on Hyperspace that doesn't pretend to be anything other than the tale of the family reunion. A contrived plot to justify wasting a novel on the "reconnection" would tick me off more than anything.

19. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I would love it more than anything.

20. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    What Havac and Uli said. I'd rather not have a whole book dedicated to it, but it would be nice to see some acknowledgement of them from time to time. Have one of them be a new Naboo Senator and voice objections to Daala in the Senate; have one of them be working for Lando; maybe one of their kids has become an admiral in the GA; whatever. Lots of ways to involve them in a less direct fashion. And maybe if their characters became popular, you'd see Senator Naberrie become a bigger character.

This all said, I'm not totally against the idea of a novel between DN and LOTF if they wanted to do another Luke/Mara/Ben novel. I remember Zahn saying he wanted to do a story about them, so if it could somehow be weaved into said story without feeling too forced then I wouldn't necessarily mind. What I'm less keen on though is a Millennium Falcon-type book where not much would really happen. Not that I disliked MF, personally I enjoyed it, but I recognise the vast majority of people didn't like it, if they even saw fit to buy it.

On the whole though, I'd still be more interested in seeing Senator Naberrie and the like as a way of weaving them into the story more subtly. We've lost a lot of the non-Jedi cast recently, so it'd be nice to see them building up some new senators and military officers, etc, rather than continually just dredging up characters we've not seen for the best part of thirty years. Heck, I have nothing against them trying to undo the harm Jar Jar did to his species by actually seeing an intelligent Gungan General in the GA Navy.

i.e. a Gungan stereotype breaker akin to Tarfang.

21. DarthIktomi

DarthIktomi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 11, 2009
    Yeah, it really shouldn't just be a blatant attempt to reconnect them when they write it.

Besides, there's always fanfic to reconnect the various threads of the Skywalker family. Or sometimes profic like Tatooine Ghost where Leia learns the true story of Shmi.

22. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    This.

There seem to be a whole bunch of people who think the Skywalker and Naberrie reunion needs to be shown in narrative regardless of whether there's actually a story there. Meanwhile, Hyperspace needs something to draw in new subscribers (folks who AREN'T obsessive fanboys like the bulk of us, waiting for the next new source piece) that fits its short prose format. Bringing the two together seems obvious.

23. BROWNHORNET

BROWNHORNET Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 9, 2007
    A short story might be the best way to go. I'm not sure how they could work it into an ongoing storyline. But it has great potential and is a story that needs to be told.

24. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I feel it should be part of a novel. It shouldn't be a novel just on family connection, and Padme's family shouldn't feel forced into the story, it should feel organic when they are introduced.

For example:

-The Jedi being aware of a Palpatine-supporting terrorist group based in Naboo trying to assassinate Luke.
    -Since the book would be set between Dark Nest and LOTF, have it be because they feel Luke "weakened and exposed the galaxy to the Vong" by destroying Palpatine and his Empire. That would fit the post-NJO, pre-LOTF mood of the galaxy.
    -Have Leia (working as a Jedi) foil an assassination attempt on her brother early on in the book
    -Then a quarter through the book, have Pooja's daughter show up at Leia's doorstep in distress, saying that the terrorists have kidnapped her mother to try and ransom Luke, and asking for Luke and Leia's help.
    -Luke and Leia go off together to Naboo, to save their Naberrie cousins, learn a little bit more about them and Naboo and their mother, and foil the terrorist organization
    -In an ending scene, we see one of the Naboo terrorists who escaped Naboo meeting with someone shadowy, revealed to be Lumiya, setting the stage for LOTF. Basically be like a "CLOAK OF DECEPTION" kind of book. I think Luceno would be perfect for this book too.

25. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

Your hopes are for naught, Ghost. I'll never allow a Padme-class novel. [face_not_talking]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.