main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Characters Luke and Mara Index & Discussion (2.0)! *New Topic: Change is Hard!*

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Luke_Mara_Index, Dec 1, 2014.

1. Lazy K

Lazy K Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 22, 2012
    If you go with this one, I'm going to toss in Luuke & Maara: the couple that was literally made for each other. :D

Tarsier likes this.
  2. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    I would love it if there was a canon blending challenge. [face_dancing]

3. Irish_Jedi_Jade

Irish_Jedi_Jade Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2007
    I'm not sure what this doll thing is...but you know I'm always up for a challenge Briannakin!!

4. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Basically, my idea for the doll thing/interesting versions of Luke and Mara would be (and I'll actually type up specific guidelines once I have 2 braincells to rub together/if people decide that they want this type of challenge) would be:

-Everyone (who wants to participate) would make an image of Luke using this sci-fi dress up/doll creator (http://azaleasdolls.com/dressupgames/scifi-warrior-male.php) and an image of Mara using (http://azaleasdolls.com/dressupgames/scifi-warrior.php)
    -send them to me (there's a place on both where you can save the image as a jpg, then people could upload using imager/photobucket/etc, then send me the link)
    - I'd post them all and then people would pick what images of Luke and Mara that inspired them and write a fic.

Basically, it would be writing a fic using someone else's fanart (with the acknowledgment that not all of us are visual artist, so we are using dress up dolls instead).

However, I will also acknowledge that the male version of the game has much fewer options. They are basically all Jedi robes with like 4 "non-robe looking" shirts. So we may just want to do Mara.

For example, I'm sure these two images of "Mara" conjure up totally different fic ideas (I did both rather quickly):
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

ORRRRR we can do something much more basic.

5. Irish_Jedi_Jade

Jul 19, 2007
    Thanks a lot Briannakin I seriously just spent like...four hours making about seven billion of these.

I LOVE THE INTERNET!!!!

6. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    It is with great sadness (not really, I kinda pawned it off on the poor sucker :p ) that I must announce that my time as the host of the LM Index and discussion thread is at an end. For awhile now this thread has kinda been on my backburner and blah blah blah. I'm still going to be around screaming 'MARA IS THE TRUE CANON WIFE OF LUKE SKYWALKER!' and being sassy like that ANNND kicking your butts if this thread strays from the TOS.

However, your new host is the illustrious Irish_Jedi_Jade.

7. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Booyah jinkies!!!!!!!!!! Couldn't ask or long for a better successor LOL ^:)^ :* :*

8. madman007

madman007 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 22, 2007
  9. Irish_Jedi_Jade

Jul 19, 2007
    Haha, thanks guys!!! Briannakin has left me great big shoes to fill, but it's nice to be back home [:D]

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha, you're too kind dear [face_love] We shall all make delightful things together!!! madman007 You always de-lurk at the craziest times!! :p But glad to see you're still here!

Well...is there anything that anyone would like to see? Or do? Or discuss, or challenge, or...[face_dunno] I have a few ideas, but I'd love to hear thoughts from all the L/M'ers!

10. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Congrats to both of you.

I'm all for Mara remaining Luke's canon wife.

11. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Woohoo, just got an idea for challenges which can be featured if everyone agrees.

* You can never have too many of these and if there were some posted, they're either truncated or it's been long enough ago. [face_laugh] L/M after their engagement up to and including their wedding. :cool: This can be compliant with VOTF or altogether different, i.e., taking place earlier. :) [face_batting] Can involve gals having fun with Mara, L/M having warm gooey moments [face_shhh] and just adjusting to being a couple.

** I love these -- Luke and Mara as new parents. This can be of Ben, of a daughter, or (wow!) of twins. [face_dancing] Daddy!Luke just [face_mischief] @};-

* Jealous/preoccupied Luke or Mara fics are always fun LOL Especially in the oblivious timeframe - like why am I having this reaction? [face_laugh] Why am I thinking of him/her - when I'm supposed to be totally indifferent? [face_laugh]

12. Irish_Jedi_Jade

Jul 19, 2007
    WarmNyota_SweetAyesha those are great ideas! I'll tuck them away on my challenge list!!! [:D]

As I get things up and rolling, folks, could you PM the sock with links/descriptions/etc (as outlined in the first post?) I would love to update the index with all the fics, particularly the ones posted after truncation!!!! [face_love]=((

13. madman007

Aug 22, 2007

Question: Will the old links still work after the truncation? Most of of my old ones either don't work or only show 1/3 of the story.

14. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    No. If the link was generated pre move then the link won't work because the URLs changed. You have to go back and find the Fic and get the new url.

Sorry if it seems like I am stepping on the new host's toes. I just know all about this problem.

15. Irish_Jedi_Jade

Jul 19, 2007
    Pssshhhhh it's fine!! I would have probably been double-checking my answer with you anyways ^:)^

madman007 I'd say if you're smarter than me and actually have backed-up copies of your pre-move stories, you have the option to repost per the ToS (which I believe basically just say please don't repost like 40 of your stories all in one day!) Otherwise, as much as it breaks my heart to say, the best we'll get may be folk's stuff in the archive that was posted post-move. :_|

Hugs!

madman007 likes this.
  16. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Yeah. One of the reasons why I restarted this index was so that we could get an index of fics that people could actually click and read, without having to search for the new URL, only to find it and realize it was truncated.

17. madman007

Aug 22, 2007

I may do that. I have several hard copies of all my stories. Don't worry, I won't repost all 45 (and eek, I actually do have 45 stories. :eek: ). Maybe the main epics, say like one involving a character named Skyler! :D

18. Luke_Mara_Index

Luke_Mara_Index Jedi Master star 1

May 23, 2004
    **New Discussion Topic: CHANGE IS HARD!**

So, we all know that life is dominated by change. Luke and Mara had so many changes in their lives, both when they were married and when they were single. Mara had the change of going from Imperial service to being a mechanic, to working for Karrde. Then she had her own shipping company for a while, went back to Karrde, married Luke and became a Jedi...etc. Luke's life (we all know!) went from farmboy to hero overnight. He went from loneliness and a solitary life to being surrounded by fellow rebels. He found his father and lost his father, found his sister and had to figure out how to rebuild the Jedi order. He went through trials and mistakes, fell to the dark and came back to the light, and then found the great love of his life (who was right in front of him!) and became a husband and a father.

Let's talk about that change. How do you think Mara and Luke handled the changes in their lives, internally? Did they struggle with the suddenness, or did they just let it happen and try not to think about what they had lost? How about the living circumstances, losing and finding new friendships, or the privations of meager living?

How do you think they handled the change of marriage? I think it's easy to figure out that it would be a big adjustment for a loner like Mara, but how do you think it affected Luke? Do you think they fought about how to merge their lives?

What about the change of becoming parents? Yes, the Vong war was going on, but that doesn't mean they didn't have time to think and worry. There's a surprising amount of boredom in war and all sorts of things can creep into your mind. I think that it's obvious that they were afraid of the future, but what about being parents? Did they argue over how they were going to parent Ben?

Anddddddd DISCUSS!!!!!!!

19. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I think after so much change in a person's life, a person gets used to it, so I think they would both be people to just "roll with it" by the time they got married. I think, of course, they would want what was best for the galaxy, family, friends and themselves and fight for whatever that would be, but they would accept change. I think neither Luke nor Mara would be happy with a stagnant life. We all know how whiny Luke was on Tatooine and how eager he was to leave. And, after the Emperor died, Mara was out of the Empire, she was not sticking around with Isard.

I think Luke might have mourned more for the people lost (rather than past circumstances) but he would look towards the future. Mara was always in the present: what was happening at that moment.

As for the change of marriage, I don't think they resisted the change, but more the details and the circumstances that the change brought. IE Mara had to ease into the idea of being a Jedi AND Luke's wife, so she took one thing at a time. And Luke let her and waited for her.

And for becoming parents, they wanted Ben. He was a welcome change, but that doesn't mean they didn't freak out about it, worry about him and his upbringing. They did and probably argued about it.

I think Luke and Mara were both people to accept and often welcome change, but that doesn't mean they had any idea on how to deal with any change.

Did that make any sense?

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha likes this.
  20. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Interesting discussion.

Strikes to the heart of my Star Wars knowledge, and the gaps therein.

It is one thing to acknowledge generally that there are going to be things I don't know, due to stopping buying the books after Chewie was killed off, and quite another to realise that I never really knew that Luke and Mara became parents.
    I wasn't gone THAT long, surely, and yet, by time I did come back, Ben was already a sniper in the Galactic Alliance Guard, and had slotted his first Corellian premier.

Whenever Luke found a new love, I don't recall the writer ever dwelling on the aftermaths of the previous women's various fates. So I guess he handled it alright.

Mara was pretty settled into Kaarde's organisation when I first met her; she might have struggled a bit with moving from there to her next position in life.

21. Annia Piet

Annia Piet Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 7, 2015
    Congrats to Irish_jedi_jade for the new role - look forward to what you'll come up with!

Oooh, Mara and change is a biggie, isn't it? I mean (for understandable reasons, given that the Emperor messed with her mind), she did not deal at all well with the change from being emperors hand. She was a seriously unhappy person because of it when we first meet her, which is a full five years later. Then once that is resolved, the change to having control of her own life and destiny is (arguably) also something she struggles with for a long time. We don't really see much of it in print so there's a lot of conjecture and interpretation to this, but arguably she's not really settled and happy with her life and independence until she gets her own company, and even then she's carrying around a tonne of unresolved irritation at Skywalker. She fights hard to build a life of her own, but arguably she's never settled and happy with the changes in her life until she resolves those issues with Luke and makes the decision to commit herself to being a Jedi.

So yeah, young Mara (until she hits around 40!), totally not good at change and accepting the consequences of it.

Luke's problem maybe goes the other way post ROTJ. He's so ready to accept the lot that falls to him in a zen like manner that he fails to address the problems and implications arising out of them. Look at his attitude to Mara in that era - she at least twice runs away from Jedi training with no real explanation, and he appears to just shrug and accept it (while hurting on the inside). He won't confront her about it, or about the nature of their friendship/relationship, so it just festers for years because Luke is if anything a bit to accepting of stuff just happening.

(Of course much of that is down to bad writing and the 'Prozac Luke' of that era, but we have to roll with what we've got! ;) )

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha likes this.
  22. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    LOL what Annia and Bri said. =D= I agree Mara lives in the moment/present. So she has to deal with the past and look towards the future at the same time. I think Luke is definitely going to mourn people more than circumstances and I think he let things slide with Mara too many times instead of pursuing her or he didn't know how to reach her or didn't think she'd be open to it if he did. [face_thinking] Once they were together he was able to let her move at her own pace patiently - without the insecurity of - does she feel what I feel? ;) Being parents - you know Luke is gonna embrace that and Mara perhaps feel the trepidation which JadeLotus expressed so marvelously in "Year in the Life." :)

23. Irish_Jedi_Jade

Jul 19, 2007
    Thanks for all the thanks, guys! [face_love] I'll do my best to live up to half of it! I guess I'll start by weighing in on my own topic, huh? :p

I think Annia Piet hit it on the head with Luke. I feel like he wanted so bad to get off Tatooine, that despite the traumatic circumstances to get there...he must have been so caught up in the adventure, that he used that as a coping mechanism to deal with the horrific stuff he was dealing with. I think that goes all through the "prozac" years (oh man so funny but so perfect a description!). He wanted Jedi, but when things went wrong, he just kept trucking, not really examining his actions and choices, and evaluating if he needed to alter anything. Then Mara and Niraaun and...yeah. As a total aside, I can see Leia (despite her being a strong independent person) also being the type to value her loved ones so much she would rather just love them and gently give a bit of advice here and there, rather than a big explosive confrontation. That seems more like Han's style, but being married to Leia, I think he would kinda take a cue from her and rein it in a bit.

As to Mara...we all know she didn't like the change of the Empire's collapse. But I feel like the reason she is who she is...is because she's ADAPTIVE. That's why she was such a great Hand, and why she excelled with Karrde...etc. I think part of that too is because she dealt with things and kinda just...figured them out and put them to bed, you know? I don't see her as someone to dwell on the past. Maybe think back over it from time to time to gain insight on how to do things better in the future? But not really a moper or a "why me" type of person.

Marriage--I think it would honestly be a struggle for both of them. I can see Luke being a bit of a messy organizer (aka--he knows where it all is! Yes, Mara, I know it looks like something exploded in here, but I know exactly where my socks are!" ;) Where I can see Mara being a bit more "normally" organized. And then when they had Ben...I can honestly see them not fighting too much about parenting, for some reason. Maybe that's just me...but I can see Luke just wanting to love him and be awesome, and Mara filling the role of a bit more "strict" but Luke also being a very calm disciplinarian who does. not. put. up. with. anything. A mix of Owen and Beru.

24. Annia Piet

Annia Piet Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 7, 2015
    Can I ask a little help/advice from your wise heads for a fic I'm working on?

It's essentially an 'attic wife' fic squeezing Mara and some other favourite characters into the New canon. I would like to include poor, dear Ben Skywalker in some way - except I am left with the conundrum of his name. After all, Ben has already been taken by his cousin. and he's likely to not be going by the name Skywalker (he'll be a 'hidden' child). at which point, if I've changed both parts of his name, I have to wonder whether it's still the same character? Especially as his different upbringing and background will likely change his personality a bit too.

So, what should I do? Come up with an excuse for him still being called Ben anyway ("stuff you Han and Leia!" ;) )? Change the name but hope it's clear who he's supposed to be? Or fudge it by having a middle name that is either Ben or another name that he normally goes by?

This has really left me scratching my head! Why oh why did they have to use that name again, it's so inconvenient for fanfic purposes! ;)

Opinions gratefully received!

25. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014

The middle name approach certainly would work (either Ben as middle name or Ben as first name and going by his middle name). But it's not totally unheard of for there to be first cousins with the same first name, who are all named after the same person—there were several instances of this in my own family, for example, where various siblings of my great grandmother named their children Agnes or Gladys* after their mother, who was an Agnes, so that my grandfather had several first cousins named Agnes and several named Gladys. And in fact, my son (age 6) and one of his first cousins (a teenager) share a first name, though the cousin goes by his middle name most of the time (both are named after my late father-in-law, so same principle at work). So I say, go for it!

*Yep, these great-great aunts and uncles of mine apparently considered Agnes and Gladys equivalent names. Why? Well, Agnes means "lamb" and Gladys means "lame," and... well, those two things often come out sounding alike in certain accents. :p