main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Characters Luke and Mara Index & Discussion (2.0)! *New Topic: Change is Hard!*

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Luke_Mara_Index, Dec 1, 2014.

1. ThreadSketch

ThreadSketch Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2013
    I LIKE YOU, TIM ZAHN. I REALLY, REALLY LIKE YOU. [face_laugh][:D]

Oh man. I know the "Hot Chocolate Fiasco" drove some fans nuts because of the loss of immersion, but I'm #sorrynotsorry - I think it's hilarious and chocolate is too awesome not to exist in any given fictional universe. :p (What makes me laugh even more is that in reality this is such a decadent beverage and was once something that only the wealthy would imbibe, whereas in the GFFA it's apparently a redneck drink. That's so absurd, LOL.)

No lie, this past weekend I was inside a Cost Plus World Market (it's like the love child of Pier 1 and T. J. Maxx) and my very first thought upon being confronted by an entire wall of hot chocolate choices was, "LUKE SKYWALKER WOULD LOVE AND DIE IN THIS PLACE." [face_rofl]

2. taramidala

taramidala Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 1999
    Well now I know where that Tumblr prompt came from.

3. ThreadSketch

Dec 22, 2013
    YES THAT WAS ME. :D I'm terrible, lolz.

taramidala likes this.
  4. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    ROTFL

I've actually heard both things about Zahn. I totally support the decision for hot chocolate, because not EVERYTHING has to be SW-ified. It's kinda like how if an EU book or fanfic had the word "Klenex", that would jar me, but I'm totally fine with "tissue". I know my use of "tea" may annoy people, but gosh darn it! If Zahn can have hot chocolate, I can have tea!

Also, regarding Mara's death, they should have done the decent thing and consulted him, OR AT LEAST FREAKING TOLD HIM. But I also understand that when writing for the EU, you were playing in George's sandbox and and even when you created something, like a character that saw as much action as Mara Jade, it was never going to be truly yours. Some bully is probably going to come around smashing... then Disney came with the bulldozer.

Okay. I'll stop it with the sand-box metaphor and get back to my homework.

5. ThreadSketch

Dec 22, 2013
    Luke is such a bro. He's addicted to hot chocolate and the GFFA equivalent of southern BBQ. This cracks me up unreasonably. :p

madman007, Revanfan1 and jcgoble3 like this.
  6. Annia Piet

Annia Piet Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 7, 2015
    Zahn uses tea too in TTT, so can't see why you can't have it too! (Also tea is a specific way of making a drink rather than the specific ingredients so I sort of think it doesn't make sense for the GFFA not to have it in some form). Anyway, to echo ThreadSketch on chocolate, Tea is way too amazing for the GFFA to be deprived of it! :D

I have similar over-associations of Luke with hot chocolate though. I saw the most amazing, huge hot chocolate hamper in Whittards at Christmas and my first thought was 'that is so what Mara would have to buy Luke if the GFFA had Christmas...

Gemma, Kahara and jcgoble3 like this.
  7. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012

That's what "Life Day" is for... XD

Gemma and Annia Piet like this.
  8. Irish_Jedi_Jade

Irish_Jedi_Jade Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2007
    *delurks* oh heyyyyyyy friends [:D]

So I have to say...even though obviously you all have talked a lot about the whole Ep. VII thing and no more EU as we know it....this whole deal has left me feeling like I did post-Sacrifice. Hating the general world arrayed against my L/M obsession [face_phbbbbt]

9. Annia Piet

Feb 7, 2015
    Heart breaking isn't it? I think I'm still processing it, and probably will be until at least the release of TFA (which I remain massively optimistic about, despite all this).

I do think that *eventually*, even if not in the near future, Mara will turn up in the GFFA again in some form, if only because she's such a popular character that eventually they'll want to squeeze some more cash out of her!

Till then, we'll always have fanfic. Which often does her (and the L/M ship) far more justice than the official version anyway.

10. ThreadSketch

Dec 22, 2013
    [​IMG]

11. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    AGreeing heartily with Annia Piet - woot! And they have to bring Thrawn back ... and Karrde ... because LOL ;)

Gemma and Annia Piet like this.
  12. Irish_Jedi_Jade

Jul 19, 2007
    ....I need a challenge. My muse is dead [face_worried]

13. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    My life is like, insane right now so I really can't organize a challenge. I'm actually kinda considering handing the reigns to this index over to someone else. I loved hosting the SJRS and I love my very young creation here, but between life and modding, sometimes this falls through the cracks. But I'm also power hungry :p I haven't quite decided yet.

14. Annia Piet

Feb 7, 2015
    Irish_Jedi_Jade the conversation about hot chocolate here had me wondering about doing a fic about Mara learning about Luke's 'exotic' drinking habits for the first time, and how she'd react. But I don't have time to write that at the mo, so you could have that as a personal challenge from me if you like? ;)

Nyota's Heart likes this.
  15. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Irish_Jedi_Jade - I just love seeing your ebullient reviews here again!!!!! [face_dancing] A challenge?

What about: You always see Luke giving Mara stuff. What about Mara puzzling over what to give Luke for an anniversary gift, something meaningful? But then she has to overcome her own this whole sentimentality thing is way over the top for me.

[face_laugh]
    Here's another possibility: Mara is irritated by Luke's protectiveness until the shoe's on the other foot and Luke is in danger and he says: Now you know how it feels. :p Then of course she had to rescue his behind and mush ensues once he's more or less recovered. ;)

^:)^

Gemma likes this.
  16. Irish_Jedi_Jade

Jul 19, 2007
    Hmmm....I do appreciate the plot bunny donation ladies!!!! I feel like this is trying to get on a bicycle at 25 when the last time you rode one your hair was still in pigtails and there were streamers on your handlebars (*cough cough* not speaking from experience or anything).

Oh well...I'll try to dig my muse out of the bottom of the closet. I've been trolling the boards for L/M I missed in the not so recent past...its delightful, and definitely inspiring. Makes me remember why I love them so. darn. much. Nyota's Heart will you still be my beta? [face_nail_biting]

[face_good_luck]Irish

Kahara likes this.
  17. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Irish_Jedi_Jade - like asking if I like Josh Groban and John Legend - yeahhhhh! [face_laugh] [face_laugh] As if.
    ^:)^ [face_dancing] [face_dancing]

Irish_Jedi_Jade likes this.
  18. EmeraldJediFire

EmeraldJediFire Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2012
    Hey, guys. I know I've been away for awhile. heh...so this is not directly Luke/Mara related but I found it funny. So I wanted to share.

I love when the Dad is like..Luke I think you're officially beaten. lol

19. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012

This was when I thought we were pulling ribines out of our butts, untill Timothy Zahn's novel...Survivor's Quest when its mentioned. This is then a case of which came first the chicken or the egg because I'm trying to remember if I read the book first or saw it in fan fiction first.

20. madman007

madman007 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 22, 2007
    I NEVER even made that connection to Tomo spice! He did live on a farm, he almost had the hots for his sister, and then there's the name, Luke. Yep, he's a Southerner!

MESSAGE TO DISNEY ABOUT STAR WARS FAN FICTION:

[​IMG]

Annia Piet and Nyota's Heart like this.
  21. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Alright, does anyone want a June/July challenge? I have a fun one brewing in my head, but I want to know if people will write it.

Also, can I PLEEEASE GET more submissions for the index? I hate that I'm the only one with stories up there. It makes it look like I'm using this to pimp my, and only my stories, which I'm not.

22. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012
    So you want out l/m stories?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
  24. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012
    Okay. I wasn't entirely sure. I've been so MIA