main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Luke and Vader

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by ForceofDarkness, Jun 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ForceofDarkness

ForceofDarkness Jedi Youngling

Jun 6, 2005
    Do you think Luke was stronger then his father because he had hate to his father and still did not turn to the dark side. I'm kind of new so don't mind if I ask obvious questions. :)

2. Aeneas_Falco

Aeneas_Falco Jedi Youngling star 2

May 19, 2005
    Yes.

Luke was able to resist the Emperor's efforts to turn him despite having only bare bones training w/ the force. He also defeats Vader in ROTJ with very little training. I think Luke is stronger than Anakin w/ the force personally, though I don't think we ever witness Luke at the peak of his potential. (ROTJ ends with Luke becoming a Jedi)

3. SixEagle

SixEagle Jedi Master star 1

May 30, 2002
    Not necessarily. I think Luke didn't turn pretty much solely because he was fighting his father. Whereas Anakin turned because of attachments (Padme), I think Luke didn't turn because of attachments (Anakin). I don't think either Skywalker were dramatically different than the other.

Luke showed a lot of his fathers weaknesses. Disobedience (leaving for Bespin when both Yoda and Obi-Wan specifically told him not to repeatedly), impulsiveness, hate (had Vader not stopped Luke, he would have striken the unarmed emperor, and he attacked Vader with rage after he brought in his sister).

But when it came down to the moment of truth, Luke held back, and I think that was primarily because Luke couldn't bring himself to kill his father. Whereas where when Anakin was at his moment of truth with the darkside, he turned because of Padme. Had the roles been reversed, I think the outcomes would have been as well.

4. Darth_Ares-Lido

Darth_Ares-Lido Jedi Youngling star 1

May 31, 2005
    Luke never hated his father, it was giving into his latent aggresion that could spell doom for him.

He also had plenty of training with the force, Yoda says his training is complete in ROTJ.

The most important thing Yoda taught Luke was to believe, Luke believed there was still good in his father and refused to fight him. I suppose in this way Luke defeated Vader and Anakin was spiritually reborn.

5. Sith-Jedi-Master

Sith-Jedi-Master Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 9, 2004
    well i think that luke was stronger. he did not turn and resist the dark side...

that is a stronge will to have, to not to turn. :)

6. sergejg

sergejg Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 5, 2002
    Luke hated Vader but admired his father. I think that the most significant diference between Anakin and Luke is that when Anakin's mother dies because of the Sandpeople he goes beserker, while instead when Luke's paternal figures (the Lars) are killed by the empire he doesn't join Kenobi only to advange their death, but more because he no longer has any attachments left on tatooine.

7. DantSolo

DantSolo Jedi Master star 4

Dec 15, 2000
    I think that Luke did not turn in part because of his feelings for his father but also because he saw that he could easily become just like his father. That is why he looks at Vader's mechanical hand and then looks at his own. He's seeing himself on the same path to the dark side and that's a big reason why he throws his lightsaber aside and refuses to kill Vader...because he doesn't want to turn into the same monster.

8. DARTH-SHREDDER

DARTH-SHREDDER Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 6, 2005
    "Luke was able to resist the Emperor's efforts to turn him despite having only bare bones training w/ the force. He also defeats Vader in ROTJ with very little training."

Must I say this again and again. Vader let Luke win. Then when Lukes goes dark, he wasn't expecting it. Vader was conflicted. He would not kill his own son.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.