main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Luke does a Force Choke???

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by DarthFaded, Dec 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthFaded

DarthFaded Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 11, 2003
    My friend and I are arguing about this, Does Luke "Force Choke" anyone during the Jabba scenes in ROTJ...

2. Indigo_Jade

Indigo_Jade Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2002
    Of course, he Force Chokes the two Gammorean guards...

3. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    He doesn't precisely choke the Gamorreans; he merely rendered them unconscious.

4. Leias_love_slave

Leias_love_slave Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 26, 2003
    When Luke raises his hand, the Gamoreans clutch their throats and stumble backwards. I'd say he choked them. ;)

5. Indigo_Jade

Apr 23, 2002
    And I don't remember them falling unconcious either... [face_plain]

6. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    No. He didn't. He just waved his hands and if you watch closely, they go back to the position they were asleep in. No force choking from Luke.

E_S

7. Big_Chewie_fan

Big_Chewie_fan Jedi Youngling star 1

May 6, 2003
    so the pig stumbeling backward grabbing his throat wasn't being choked just falling asleep huh intresting

8. IncomT65

IncomT65 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 1999
    He choked them alright. Evil guy, that Skywalker jr. [face_devil]

9. Lord-Vegas

Lord-Vegas Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 8, 2003
    He choked them to unconciousness and skirted very close to the Dark-side whilst doing it. He was aware of what he was doing

10. GrandAdmiral_Frank

GrandAdmiral_Frank Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 26, 2003
    I always thought it was him just making them back off with the force but my friend says its a force choke, who knows?

11. Indigo_Jade

Apr 23, 2002
    I think the choking sounds and hands to the throats would give you a good indication they were being choked?

12. thecleric007

thecleric007 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2003
    Um, yeah, the whole motions of choking kinda suggests that they were CHOKING!!!

The Cleric 007

13. Indigo_Jade

Apr 23, 2002
    I also think it is a show of power to show the audience that Luke has grown signifigantly in the Force since we last saw him in ESB.

14. Leias_love_slave

Oct 26, 2003
    Never underestimate the ability of a 'Star Wars' audience member to misinterprete what they're seeing on the screen. ;)

Example: How come when the Millenium Falcon first approaches the Death Star it's the size of an apple, but when they get really close to it, it's huge?

15. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Yeah, I mean, sure he'd choke them. After all, Yoda had shown him how right... [face_plain]

Firstly, I'd ask for actual proof and not idle speculation he's choking when we clearly know, from Yoda's teaching, that choking is darkside force use and Luke's a lightsider. Secondly, I'd introduce logic and reason here and say - why kill the guards? He was trying to make a surreptitous entry, and leaving Gamorrean corpses strewn casually would **** that up, ya think?

Also, to the person who suggested they make choking noises, let's consider two facts absent from your otherwise uninspired remark. Firstly, they are porcine creatures, and as such it's perfectly within their nature to make guttural growls. Secondly, if Luke, who's not yet a Jedi Knight, could choke two Gamorreans at once so quickly, he's a damn side stronger than Vader, a Sith Lord, who takes notably longer to strangle one person...

Jeez, people, think about what you say. Luke's a "good guy", why would he recklessly slay two creatures? He wouldn't, and to whomever said he choked them and knew what he was doing, PPOR.

EDIT: Never underestimate a shooting script to screw up speculation:

16 INT MAIN GATE AND HALL - JABBA'S PALACE 16

Noisily, the main gate lifts to flood the blackness with blinding
    LIGHT and reveal the silhouetted figure of LUKE SKYWALKER. He is
    clad in a robe similar to Ben's and wears neither pistol nor
    laser sword. Luke strides purposefully into the hallway. Two
    giant guards move to block Luke's path. Luke halts.

Luke raises his hand and points at the puzzled guards, who
    immediately lower their spears and fall back. The young Jedi
    lowers his hand and moves on down the hallway.

No mention of choking there... :p

E_S

16. Big_Chewie_fan

Big_Chewie_fan Jedi Youngling star 1

May 6, 2003
    okay Ender_Sia oh enlightened one please explain to us why they grab their throats? And where do you get that Luke and Yoda had even covered these topics in training? "incomplete is your training" does that sound familiar? There are many things Luke must learn on his own because Lets remember that he does not return to complete his training till ROTJ and by that point he must have taught himself many things or found different ways to use the force.
    If he has no intent of killing and is otherwise unarmed is he using the force for as a dark side power?

suppose it depnds on your point of view

17. IncomT65

Jul 28, 1999
    Well, choking is of the Dark Side, true. But since Luke hadn't finished his training yet, he probably thought it was o.k. to choke those pigs.

18. Quiwan

Quiwan Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    Yoda never tells Luke that choking is of the Dark Side.

I remember when I first saw him do it in the theater I wasn't thinking... "Oh no, he's becoming a bad guy cause he did something Vader did." I was thinking how cool he looked and how strong he'd become which I believe was what Lucas intended.

While I would agree that some powers are clearly Dark Side powers, I don't see how choking someone to get them out of the way counts as one provided he didn't kill them.

Another possibility is that Luke was making them think they were choking, rather than actually choking them.

19. IncomT65

Jul 28, 1999
    Well, choking is a pretty agressive action. I think Gamorreans are weak-minded. Couldn't Luke have mind-tricked them and walk by? That'd be not so agressive

20. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    A mind trick would be much safer in terms of walking the "light side". I have always thought that Skywalker choked the guards into unconsciousness instead of killing them. Killing when not needed would be a very un-Jedi like thing to do.

21. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    "No. He didn't. He just waved his hands and if you watch closely, they go back to the position they were asleep in. No force choking from Luke. "

"Resolutely, Luke strode into the arching hallway.

Almost immediately two Gamorreans stepped up, blocking his path. One spoke in voice that did not invite debate. "No chuba!"

Luke raised his hand and pointed at the guards. Before either could draw a weapon, they were both clutching their own throats, choking, gasping. They fell to their knees.

Luke lowered his hand and walked on. The guards, suddenly able to breathe again, slumped to the sand-drifted steps. They didn't follow."
    - ROTJ novelization

He did choke them, folks. Bib, you know better than to contradict EU. :p

"Yeah, I mean, sure he'd choke them. After all, Yoda had shown him how right... " [face_plain]

You make it sound so difficult... [face_plain] All he's doing is squeezing the throat. Don't you ever wonder how the first Force user learned to do it? It had to start somewhere, right? ?[face_plain]

"choking is darkside force use and Luke's a lightsider."

Force powers are used by all Force users in the films. Besides, Luke did use the Dark Side when fighting Vader. This is how he became more powerful, and the reason he subsequently threw his saber away.

22. Indigo_Jade

Apr 23, 2002
    Uhhh, Vader chokes people slowly because he enjoys it... [face_devil]

23. DarthTickle

DarthTickle Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 1, 2002
    I don't see how people can try to claim he's not choking them. They grab their throats and start gagging. Seems like choking to me.

Now that doesn't mean that he killed them. Perhaps he just choked until they lost consciousness?

24. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    He did it long enough to make the guards back up. That's all he needed.

25. Leias_love_slave

Oct 26, 2003
    Ender Sai, you quote the shooting script to make your argument.

If you can't see that the Gammorean is grabbing his throat, then I repeat...

...Never underestimate the ability of a 'Star Wars' audience member to misinterprete what they see on the screen.

The shooting script doesn't mention Oola's right boob popping out of her costume so I guess that didn't happen either.

;)

EV Edit: Can the sarcasm

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.