main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Luke does a Force Choke???

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by DarthFaded, Dec 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zethlin_Maximus

Zethlin_Maximus Jedi Youngling star 4

May 31, 2003
    Hello everybody! Didn't you all hear me?! It's not called a "Force Choke", but rather "The Grip"!!!

2. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    "Leave it up to you guys :) "

Oh, yeah. Like the emoticon helps. [face_plain]

Zethlin_Maximus, get a grip. When I said this was our lives, I was kidding. Don't go making my joke all real or anything, 'kay? ?[face_plain]

3. DarthStinkyBritches

DarthStinkyBritches Jedi Master star 2

Jun 19, 2001
    Oh, yeah. Like the emoticon helps.

hmmm. I guess if you want to take it the wrong way you can. The smile wasn't a veiled to make anyone feel better because of what I said, it was because I found it humorous. thank you.

it's a choke by the way

4. Leias_love_slave

Leias_love_slave Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 26, 2003
    I'd like to see a whole conversation carried on using only 'emoticons':

intro: :)

response: [face_plain]

followed by: :D

2nd response: :mad:

then: :confused:

another: :mad:

and finally: :(

Wouldn't it save a lot of unnecessary typing?

Sometimes my fingers get tired.

5. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Then the [face_plain] is implied in all future posts by me, followed by the obligatory ;) .

Where in the MOVIESdoes it ever say that force choking someone is a darkside force ability.

"Anger, fear, aggression... the dark side of the Force are they." That doesn't prove you have to use the dark side to choke someone, but I'd think it's pretty hard to choke someone nonaggressively.

On a related note, don't you suppose killing also requires use of the dark side? Even if it's a Jedi killing a Sith?

6. Big_Chewie_fan

Big_Chewie_fan Jedi Youngling star 1

May 6, 2003
    it was mentioned before that Luke was trying to get in as quiet as possible. DOn't you think it is possible that he choked them just to shut them up. I rewatched the sceen last night. I am convinced he chokes them till they pass out against the wall. But if you notice they don't make any noise that way. Since we have no proof on anything we are discussing here:

we know the gaurds are weak minded but are we sure that the mind trick would work on them?

look at watto he isn't the sharpest tool in the shed and the mind trick doesn't work on him because he is a tardarian

Maybe the mind trick doesn't work on them. If not, being unarmed, Luke would be forced to choke them in order to get past them as quietly as possible.

I challenege someone to prove to me that the mind trick DOES work on the gaurds for sure. If you can't I am even more convinced that it is a force choke or grip or what ever you feel like calling it

7. Zethlin_Maximus

Zethlin_Maximus Jedi Youngling star 4

May 31, 2003
    It's official name is called "The Grip"! Believe me. :)

And this isn't my life either. I just do this to pass the time.

8. Leias_love_slave

Oct 26, 2003
    "On a related note, don't you suppose killing also requires use of the dark side? Even if it's a Jedi killing a Sith?"

That's what I meant when I said that the Jedi are still 'the good guys'. They're just not as angelic as some make them out to be. They're still prone to frustration and anger and fighting with agression as anyone would be. But they make the effort to keep it in check.

I still say that Luke choked the guards to suggest to the audience that this is a slightly different Luke than we saw in ESB.

He now has a mechanical limb. He's wearing the robe of a Jedi, but he's dressed in black, like his father.

He's still good, but in subtle ways, he might be straddling the fence and there's a remote chance he could fall on the dark side.

IMO. ;)

9. vw_jedi

vw_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2002
    ESB was filled with Darth Vader choking people at will. He and Yoda are our only measure of what Jedi can do up until ROTJ. There were no prequels for us to draw knowledge from back in 1983.

To me it's pretty obvious that Luke does choke the guards and it's meant as a way to show the development of his power from ESB to ROTJ. When you last see him at the end of ESB he is a beginer with potental. By the begining of ROTJ we are meant to see his potential has blossomed and he has grown strong in the Force. The scene with the guards illustrates the point. He now has a mastery over his abilities, rather than fleeting moments as we see in ESB.

As to choking being a "Dark Side Power." There is no such thing as Light Side and Dark Side power. There is only the Force. The Dark and Light comes from the individual weilding it. You can use it to whatever end you wish, but the good or evil comes from within, not from the Force itself.

Luke certainly displayed a bit of the Dark Side IMO by chosing to use the Force to choke the guards. But who can blame him? He has no real judgement as to how to use the powers that are the legacy of his genetics. It's not until the end of ROTJ when he's faced with true evil that it all comes together and we see his true judgement come into play.

10. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    "That doesn't prove you have to use the dark side to choke someone, but I'd think it's pretty hard to choke someone nonaggressively. On a related note, don't you suppose killing also requires use of the dark side? Even if it's a Jedi killing a Sith?"

This is why I keep saying the Force is the Force, and "sides" depend on the intent of the user. The Force, like other forces of nature, does what it does without conscience. A Force-user's actions give the Force's actions intent. Both Luke and Vader actively use the Force in ESB to lift objects. However, Luke does it with an open mind, simply lifting the rocks, using the action for knowledge, whereas Vader does so for attack. Rather than a black/white separation, it is a matter of degrees.

In ROTJ, Luke arguably uses the Force choke for defense - it's not until the Gamorreans get in front of him with weapons raised that he chokes them. Nonetheless, the use is questionable even here, and shows how even Luke can border upon the "Dark Side", and risks following his father's footsteps.

In Vader's case, it's simple to understand. "The road to hell is paved with good intentions". He will be convinced that his actions are for the good of the Republic and himself, as well as giving him more power. It's not until ROTJ that he realizes (or admits to himself) that his actions have cost him everything, and all the power in the world has left him with nothing except an unreasonable and unloyal master.

"I challenege someone to prove to me that the mind trick DOES work on the gaurds for sure. If you can't I am even more convinced that it is a force choke or grip or what ever you feel like calling it"

Not even worth my time. You either believe it or you don't.

11. Obi-Wan_and_only

Obi-Wan_and_only Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 27, 2001
    So Yoda told Luke the danger's of the Dark Side. He also told him not to go to Cloud City and that he had to kill Vader. Luke didn't listen then, either.

12. Dark Lady Mara

Jun 19, 1999
    A Force-user's actions give the Force's actions intent. Both Luke and Vader actively use the Force in ESB to lift objects. However, Luke does it with an open mind, simply lifting the rocks, using the action for knowledge, whereas Vader does so for attack. Rather than a black/white separation, it is a matter of degrees.

What about Yoda's lifting the X-Wing? That definitely wasn't an aggressive act, and it strained him. I don't think it's logical to conclude that Yoda's weak, so I assume that means non-aggressive (ie. light side) acts are drawing less power from the Force.

I hope I'm making sense. I'm tired, dagnabit. :p

13. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Mindtricks are not a lightsider power. They are a Force power. Ben uses it with good intent, and Palps uses it with bad intent.

I see you spectacularly missed my point again... :p

I'm still baffled about why I was reprimanded. I thought "sarcasm" was acceptable on these boards. It seems to be present in more than half of the posts on this site. What am I missing?

I thought that the Senate comment was aimed at me, actually, given that I have 97% of my posts in there... :D

E_S

14. Luke_SW

Luke_SW Jedi Master star 2

Apr 13, 2003
    I never thought he did anything OTHER than force-choke them....it's pretty obvious, although I think he did it just enough to knock them out or scare them into letting him pass, since it's not in his nature to murder
    but then again, he didn't have a problem hacking the bad guys up on the sail barge later on so.....
    anyways, the point is, yes, he force-chokes them :)

15. Dark Lady Mara

Jun 19, 1999
    If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck... ;)

16. Leias_love_slave

Oct 26, 2003
    But Dark Lady Mara, there are no ducks in 'Star Wars'.

(Unless you count the novel.) ;)

17. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I think she was quoting Douglas Adams...

E_S

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.