main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Luke does what?!

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Ye-Intruders-Beware, Jan 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ye-Intruders-Beware

Ye-Intruders-Beware Jedi Youngling star 1

May 28, 2002
    Anyway, this has been bugging me for a while...maybe you guys can help clear this up.

in Return of the Jedi, the entire plan Luke comes up with to save Han seems a little...well, to simply state...it doesnt make sense. ok, hear me out on this ok guys?

Lando:
    -Ok, in order for Lando to become part of Jabbas gang he would have to do something vile or other wise prove his loyalty to him. Jabba is a gangster, and you just dont walk up to him and start being his bodyguard. Dont you think that there is some kind of test Lando had to take, wouldnt Lando at some point have to kill someone to show that he is Jabba material? or at least steal or fornicate? Considering that the above mentioned is true, then Luke really needed Lando to be inside the gang. right? But, what did he do? Watch the movie. He drives the landing platform when the palace explodes. When, since he was an insider, could have helped Leah free Han or something more useful.
    1.) He could have placed something in Jabbas food that would make him sleep. Then, Leah could have freed Han.
    2.) He could have snuck someone in the back, this could have proved useful when trying to free Han.
    -What did he do? Luke made him do all those things for nothing. Anyways, i need to move on.

The Droids
    -Ah yes, these fellows. Again, what purpose did they serve? And dont say that R2 was carrying Lukes saber (ill get to this in a moment). Did Luke really need to send them? And he obviously didnt bother to tell 3P0 what he was planning to do to them. Who's to say Jabba wouldn't have just scrapped them?

Leah and the Wookie
    -What is this? So, this was Luke's actual attempt at freeing Han? Leah was to free Han and escape. right? Lets just say that Jabba didnt wake up, then she would have made it out of the palace with Han...But, Lando, 3P0, R2 and Chewie would have still been left there. So...this means that Luke, Jedi Knight, would have to show up in person anyways. right?

Luke, Self-Proclaimed Jedi
    -Luke's plan was to get imprisoned. That is why R2 had is light saber. What the heck for?! So he could do a flip off a board and grab his saber in mid-air!? He needed his saber! He obviously wasnt counting on the Rankor beast, he could have died because he didnt know what the heck he was doing. And isnt odd that Lando forgot to mention the beast to Luke? You think that Lando would have said at one point "Luke, dont stand directly in front of Jabba...you see theres this giant creature that he feeds people to and..." So, why didnt he show up from the start? And why didnt he just have his saber from the beginning? And dont say that jedi arent assassins. and dont say that luke wanted jabba to seal his own fate. What is the first thing Luke does when he enters the palace? He kills 2 guards right off the bat! And then when he is talking to jabba he goes for a blaster! He was going to shoot the hutt! So, obviously Luke didnt know what his plan was.
    -I guess he just wanted to do a flip off of a board. Im sorry if i came off a little too strong, its just that this plan doesnt really make any sense to me.

2. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    What difference does it make? It worked.

3. ForceHeretic

ForceHeretic Jedi Youngling star 4

Dec 8, 2002
    That is all to make it interesting

What fun would it be to have everything work perfectly

4. Protoss72000

Protoss72000 Jedi Master star 3

Dec 3, 2001
    It was the will of the force. The force guided Luke down the correct path. as qui-gon said: The ways of the living force are beyond our understanding. We cannont know.....we can only serve

5. Epicauthor

Epicauthor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2002
    What is the first thing Luke does when he enters the palace? He kills 2 guards right off the bat!

I don't think Luke killed them, I think he just incapiciated them so he could get by.

His whole plan from the beginning was to go in an bargain with Jabba for Solo's life. He wanted to do it peacefully, but put his crew in place just in case a peaceful resolution failed.

6. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Correct, Luke didn't kill the Gamorrean guards.

7. CavrilhuPirates

CavrilhuPirates Jedi Youngling

Jan 14, 2003
    Besides! If Luke didn't jump off the platform of the skiff, we wouldn't have anything to re-enact on our diving-boards! :D

...some things are best left as mysteries...

8. sergejg

sergejg Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 5, 2002
    I have always thinked like you Ye-Intruders-Beware, Luke was just like drifting away If nothing worked I think he would have sended a Rebel Army to blow up the whole place just to get Han!! hahaha.

That whole thing in Jabba's Palace has always seemed to me that was some kind of Luke's moment into the darkside, if you think of it he kills many people, he gets all of his friends into big trouble, and he threatens Jabba. I mean the whole "you will pay for this jabba" or however that line goes is kind of totally anti Jedi.

However I always thinked that Lando went there in by his own will, not because Luke asked him. I mean he was kind of a trafficant before, right? so maybe he just went with jabba and said, "hey man I just lost Cloud city, be cool and give me a job, you know Im scum just like all the others!"

The driods at risk is kind of like sending your PC into battle, if it doesn't come back I guess you can always buy another one.

9. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    "The driods at risk is kind of like sending your PC into battle, if it doesn't come back I guess you can always buy another one."

"Dude! We're getting another Dell! [face_laugh]

10. SithLord-Will

SithLord-Will Jedi Master star 3

Mar 2, 2002
    They were all different attempts to get Han back, first Luke has Lando infiltrate the place, check it out, then he sends the droids. They fail in getting han. He sends leia and chewy, they fail as well. he goes himself, and fails.... Now instead of being alone, they are ALL there to fight to get free.

The light sabre:

Jabba: Nah, just leave it on his belt! DUR!? They would have taken it away from him! Thats why he put it in r2!

11. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    in Return of the Jedi, the entire plan Luke comes up with to save Han seems a little...well, to simply state...it doesnt make sense. ok, hear me out on this ok guys?

No need, I'm already on the same page as you (so-to-speak). I always said Luke's plan made no sense. Line up to be captured? No wonder Luke had Han worried. People say Ewoks are the problem with ROJ. Ewoks are fine, but the Jabba segment makes no sense.

12. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    Not to mention, he had the command of the Force so he really didn't need it at that point.

13. Juan_Tufte

Juan_Tufte Jedi Master star 1

May 28, 2002
    Luke doing a backflip off the plank and catching and igniting his GREEN lightsaber (the fact that he had a green lightsaber was really cool to me at the time) is one of the most thrilling moments in the OT.

That said, Luke's "plan" still makes no sense. Like the prequels, it's elaborate and needlessly complex.

14. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    But it worked...

15. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    " But it worked..." [face_laugh]

Rationalization along the same lines as, "How is Sherlock Holmes able to solve all those mysteries?"- - -Because it's written that way! [face_laugh]

Salty, methinks you've started a unhealthy glide into the Dark Side. ;)

16. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    [face_laugh]

I've been on this slippery slope towards the Dark Side for a long time.

17. La_Capitan

La_Capitan Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 22, 2003
    So I guess Leia would have just left Chewie if she would have rescued Han....
    Thats not very nice.

18. La_Capitan

La_Capitan Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 22, 2003
    ...but at least she would have had 30000 bucks more than before.

19. D_Lowe

D_Lowe Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 15, 2002
    Quit bashing Luke. His plan was to rescue Han. The plan worked. The way it happened added a lot of drama. Wouldn't it be boring if it didn't? Anyway, I could add something to it. Why didn't Luke use the Force to close the door that killed the Rancor? He threw a rock. It could of missed. But why didn't he do it the simple way. A wave of his hand and the switch would of been activated and down goes the Rancor. But it added more drama for us to wonder if the rock was going to miss.

20. Sophita

Sophita Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    I don't think people are bashing Luke so much as Luke's plan, D_Lowe. :p

I agree, it doesn't make any sense when you think about it for a long period of time. But then again, Luke wasn't exactly a professional stategiest, so...

21. Valkor

Valkor Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2002

I think Luke's Plan ruled! His "faith in his friends" was not a weakness as the Emperor thought, but was his strength! His love for Han and his knowledge of the force saved the day.
    .v.
    ps. his flip off the sarlaac plank has to be the coolest jedi move ever! (next to Rodney Dangerfield's Triple Lindy of course)

22. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    " I don't think people are bashing Luke so much as Luke's plan, D_Lowe"

Actually, I'm, bashing Lucas' plan. BTW, D_Lowe, get a grip. "Luke Skywalker" doesn't even exist (really!), so it's not like I can hurt his feelings.

Now, if I were to make Lucas cry, you'd have a more legitimate complaint :)

23. Ye-Intruders-Beware

Ye-Intruders-Beware Jedi Youngling star 1

May 28, 2002
    Lucas could have kept the same amount of action and suspense...he just could have thought of a better plan. I guess that is the whole point.

24. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    Hindsight is always 20/20.

Actually, I'm, bashing Lucas' plan. BTW, D_Lowe, get a grip. "Luke Skywalker" doesn't even exist (really!), so it's not like I can hurt his feelings.
    He doesn't exist? :(

25. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    The plan worked. The way it happened added a lot of drama. Wouldn't it be boring if it didn't?

Well, I thought it was a bit boring as it was. They were just lining up for a number to get captured.

Bib: "OK, who's getting captured next? I've got number 556. Who has that number? Is that you, Leia? OK, come here and put this on. Number 557? Uuh -- Luke, but you're not allowed in here! Ah, nevermind, its all good. Please fall into this pit."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.