main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Luke does what?!

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Ye-Intruders-Beware, Jan 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daughter_Of_TheForce

Daughter_Of_TheForce Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 1, 2001
    [face_laugh]

Okay, so Luke doesn't get a medal for strategy. 8-}

2. New_York_Jedi

New_York_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Mar 16, 2002
    What if luke got Leia's number! :eek: Then would he get put in the slave outfit? :eek: :eek: :eek:

3. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    LOL, I can't imagine that Jabba would really care who's in the suit. He just likes to see stuff wiggle. He's kinda like "Fat Bastard." The sheer logistics of any physical cojoinment would be mind-numbingly impossible to imagine. ?[face_plain]

At the end of the day, that person would be rancor vitlin's anyways. :)

4. D_Lowe

D_Lowe Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 15, 2002
    MeBeJedi, it's not about Luke Skywalker's feelings. It's about you all attacking the way Lucas wrote the story. If you don't like it, tough!

5. Old_Brown_Shoe

Old_Brown_Shoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 23, 2001
    "I'm making this up as I go." ;)

6. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    I don't like it,

TOUGH!

7. D_Lowe

Aug 15, 2002
    MeBeJedi, then why do you like Star Wars if you don't like how Lucas writes?

8. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    Knock it off. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Let's all remember that. The plan is just fine and it worked. Could the plan have been done better? Sure, but we lose the drama of the Rancor, the reuniting of all the main characters and the Sarlacc Pit scene. Love it or hate it, it served it's purpose.

:)

9. D_Lowe

Aug 15, 2002
    The whole Jabba part is one of my favorite parts. Luke kicks butt during that time. Very enjoyable.

10. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    I thought it was a little slow up until Luke gets there. When Luke confronts Jabba, it shows his maturity and those hints of arrogance that Anakin had. You're still not quite sure what's going through Luke's mind since his encounter with Vader and he's dressed in all black. Very cool scenes in my opinion.

11. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    The films are still enjoyable, despite their cheesiness. Hell, I'm a big Howard the Duck fan, and it's a bad film. I'm simply capable of holding two conflicting or incompatible thoughts simultaneously..

No, you can't...

Yes, I can.

Nope, you're losing it again!!!

Shut up! I took my happy pill. You'll disappear soon.

As if...

D_Lowe, you can't tell me that you've never had mixed feelings about something in your life. I'm just pointing out that, as exciting as the ROTJ intro scene is, it falls flat on its face logically when you consider what should have or could have happened.

I love the OT despite all its blemishes, goofs, nicks, and crows feet. I accept it for what it is, but I'm not blinded to these things by foolish favoritism. Laughing at the SW films is like laughing at yourself, you've got to take things with a grain of salt, or you're gonna give yourself a heart-attack (or hemmorhoids.) :)
    I understand that you don't like my comments about the films, but I won't apologize for them. Read at your own risk, or treat it like a spoiler.

Yeah, what he said....

Dammit, I'm uping my meds right now!

Nooooooooooooooo!!!!!

12. D_Lowe

Aug 15, 2002
    That's what I mean. Luke getting there added the excitment of it all. When I watched it for the first time 20 years ago, I could tell Luke was going to kick some serious butt.

13. D_Lowe

Aug 15, 2002
    MeBeJedi, maybe it's me, but it seems as if you do a lot of bashing of Star Wars on here. That's why I asked the question I did.

14. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    Just the way Luke enters the palace is mysterious. Sometimes it's better to just accept things for what they are. I think we fans do too much nitpicking here at the JC.

15. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    "it seems as if you do a lot of bashing of Star Wars on here."

Depends on how you take it. Considering the amount of money I've spent to get the original OT on laserdisc, I'd say your viewpoint is (perhaps understandably) askew.

Perhaps you simply don't understand my sense of humor?

16. Matthew_Wolverine

Matthew_Wolverine Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2002
    "Dont you think that there is some kind of test Lando had to take, wouldnt Lando at some point have to kill someone to show that he is Jabba material? or at least steal or fornicate?"

lol

I understand most of the point you're trying to make, but why would the test include fornication? How does that prove to Jabba that he's a capable bodyguard? :)

17. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    "why would the test include fornication? How does that prove that he's a capable bodyguard?'

Didn't Costner do this in his bodyguard film? :D

Besides, Billy Dee is the man! He probably made that up as an excuse to show off with the six-breasted woman.

18. D_Lowe

Aug 15, 2002
    I can see why people want to compare Luke to the Jedi in the Prequels. It's simple to when you see Luke defeat Darth Vader, where as Vader was pretty much unstopable and was responsible for eliminating the Jedi Order. But as a writer, Lucas did what he thought would add the more excitement. Now that we have seen his movies so many times, we start analyzing them. Fans like me saw the original trilogy hundreds of times before I saw TPM for the first time in 1999. I noticed a big difference in Jedi then what Luke was. We never even see a Force Push in the original trilogy. But Luke wasn't an average Jedi in training. Or now we call them Padawan Learners. He didn't have a braid. He learned very quickly and did a lot of it on his own. Despite all that, he had an advantage over every other Jedi. He was the son of Darth Vader. Luke's midi-chlorian count probably rivaled Anakin's. Also the bigger advantage was that Vader had a soft spot for Luke that wouldn't of happened with any other Jedi.

19. Ye-Intruders-Beware

Ye-Intruders-Beware Jedi Youngling star 1

May 28, 2002
    Umm, its script it was written. Lucas didnt have to write that scene the way he did. He could have altered it, and still left in the Rankor and the action. Thats all im saying. The plan makes no sense, and its not as if Lucas was forced to write it the way he did. Those who side with Lucas on this matter act as though Lucas had no choice but to write the scene the way he did. Its just he amount of times you are left going "What the?" "Why did he?" and so on and so forth.

20. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    The point is why does it matter? What difference does it make how the plan was written? It worked.

21. Ye-Intruders-Beware

Ye-Intruders-Beware Jedi Youngling star 1

May 28, 2002
    The point is that the plan wasn't real. Somehow you talk as though it was real. You keep on saying "it worked." Well, duh! Its a movie, Luke could have jumped through the building and sidekicked Jabba and taken Han. That would've worked too. Why? WHY do you ask? Because, it was written that way. My Point is that Lucas was trying to write a clever plan, and he failed. What difference does it make if it worked or not!

22. Daughter_Of_TheForce

Daughter_Of_TheForce Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 1, 2001
    In the real world, it probably wouldn't work, but this is a movie we're talking about here. In the movies, crazy plans work all the time. ;)

23. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    Your opinion has been noted. You don't like the way it was written. You're entitled to that opinion. I'm merely stating that over analyzing these movies to the point of arguing over whether an imaginary plan was adequate or not is dumb.

24. D_Lowe

Aug 15, 2002
    I still stand that I enjoyed watching Luke in action in ROTJ. I felt that way when I watched as a 10 year old boy and I still feel that way today.

25. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    I agree. Watch the movie and enjoy it for what it is. If people don't like certain parts, they should fast foward through those parts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.