main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Luke had not much Jedi traing so is he a full Jedi ?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Fireant, Jul 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fireant

Fireant Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 26, 2002
    My point is before Luke's first fight with Vader in ESB he had not much traing. When he first met Yoda he was only there for Hours and then rushed off to Cloud city. Who showed him to use the Saber? Ben only showed him for a very very short wile. So was it the Ghost of Ben? as Yoda did not teach him Saber skills until after ESB..

Did Luke make more that two visits to see Yoda? If not then Luke only had a very small amount of Jedi traing and became a full Jedi.. My vew is that in ROTJ he is not a full Jedi...

Other vews on the matter:)

2. AssassinDroid21

AssassinDroid21 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2002
    Aye, 'twas not but a few hours. Luke had a good deal of training on Dagobah, but still not enough to face Vader.

3. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    Luke didn't become a full Jedi until he beat Vader and refused to join Palpy.

4. Fireant

Oct 26, 2002
    That was a hard time for him but does not make him a full Jedi in my eye's, others had long years of traing to become a Jedi.... Luke's seems all a bit to rushed. I now it needed to be a rush but he should be a trainee Jedi..

5. Fireant

Oct 26, 2002
    That was a hard time for him but does not make him a full Jedi in my eye's, others had long years of traing to become a Jedi.... Luke's seems all a bit to rushed. I now it needed to be a rush but he should be a trainee Jedi..

6. Latorski

Latorski Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    Perhaps Luke had the natural talent to learn what he needed in a short time.

Besides, doesn't defeating a Sith in ROTJ makes him a knight by rule?

7. Fireant

Oct 26, 2002
    Defeating Vader is task not many could do at that time but Lukes knowledge of the Force would only be limited to say someone who has studied for years...

8. Vortigern99

Vortigern99 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2000
    Fireant, the key to decoding ESB's erratic timeline is Han's description of Bespin: "It's pretty far but I think we can make it." This is said in the context of the Falcon's hyperdrive being in disrepair. Given the unimaginable expanses of a galaxy full of billions of stars, who knows how long such a trip may have taken?
    Thus, Luke must have spent a fair chunk of time on Dagobah, not all of which was pertinent to the story at hand. The ESB novelization, for example, implies the training lasts a few weeks. I'm more inclined to give it a few months.
    Also, remember that Luke said of his failure at the cave "I've learned so much since then," indicating that a considerable period of time has elapsed.
    Hope this helps, and MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU.

9. Lightsabre

Lightsabre Fan Force Founder star 4 VIP

Nov 12, 1999
    Latorski has it. Lucas ended the debate on Luke's Jedi status with Obi-Wan becoming a Jedi after defeating Maul. I wonder if Obi-Wan would have rec'd this honor if Qui-Gon had lived...

10. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I'm sure that Luke was training with Yoda for at least a few weeks. Combining that and his strength in the force, he probably learned quite a bit. It's like taking a college classes over the summer sessions. A ton of knowledge crammed into a few weeks...

11. vapors79

vapors79 Jedi Youngling

Jul 14, 2003
    He may not be a full fledged Jedi before he faces Vader but Luke has the genetics of his father, mother, and trained by two of the most powerful Jedi. Was Anakin ever a full Jedi? "When I last left you I was but the learner, now I am the master". Yet he was predicted to be more powerful than master Yoda if his training would have continued down the right path. So I think the potential was there as it was for Anakin. We saw Obi Wan far better vs Maul then his master, and we saw Anakin fair (even though he lost an arm) contend better vs Dooku. So it is really just a technicality that Luke is not a full fledged Jedi

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.