main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Luke knew Leia was his sister in ESB: Y/N?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by The___, Apr 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The___

The___ Jedi Youngling star 3

May 14, 2002
    I remembered an SW argument from my high school days, which was X amount of years ago. The other topic thread regarding Leia's force powers reminded me of it.

These supposed SW fans said that Luke knew Leia was his sister in ESB. I disagreed (silently). I was very quiet in H.S.

He didn't have the definite knowledge that she was his sister until ROTJ. He might've had some subconscious idea to call on her from the weathervane, but he didn't know she was his twin, IMO. But they said, "He knew. Why else would he call her?"

What do you think?

2. Canderous

Canderous Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 10, 2003
    I think in ESB he sensed a stronger connection between Leia and he, but he did not completely know the feeling until ROTJ. That's just my two cents. :p

3. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    I think Luke had a hunch, and Obi-Wan confirmed that hunch.

4. The___

May 14, 2002
    Thanks.

Those answers at least have reason behind them.

They had nothing better to say than, "He called Leia, didn't he?" or "Well, why did he call Leia then?" It was basically the same sentenced rephrased and delivered again and again. That's why I called them "supposed" SW fans.

Real SW fans are intelligent!!! 8-}

5. FogeyKenobi

FogeyKenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 31, 2003
    I don't think Luke knew that Leia was his sister in ESB. I believe that he was just learning to reach out with the Force and since Leia obviously had latent Force talents it was the Force that allowed them to reach each other.

6. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    He didn't know, but looking back on ESB after the revelation in ROTJ shows a couple of good hints that she's his sister.

7. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    I don't think he had any idea.

8. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    Luke's known. Somehow...he's always known. :D

9. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Luke's reaching out to Leia doesn't prove anything. She's the only one of his friends he can be sure is still alive and will come back and help him. Obi-Wan and Yoda refused to intervene, Han's in carbonite, Lando doesn't know Luke, and Chewie... well, Chewie doesn't even speak basic. :p

10. DarthMandarb

DarthMandarb Jedi Master star 2

May 29, 2002
    I think Luke felt a 'kinship' with Leia. Something that transcended being merely friends. I doubt he thought she was his sister, but he felt a strong connection. That's why, when hanging from Cloud City, he could sense that the person he should call to for help was Leia.

So in RotJ, when Ben said he had a twin sister, it just simply clicked in Luke's head. It just suddenly made sense to him.

there's my 2 cents :)

dm

11. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I don't think he knew until Obi-Wan brought the subject up in ROTJ. Just look at the look on his face when Leia is revealed, he's definitely surprised. He had no clue that was coming.

12. DarthMandarb

May 29, 2002
    Dark Lady Mara
    Luke says, "Chewie ... hear me ... Chewie"

Meanwhile back in the Falcon, "Rhaharrrgghh reerggg rahg" growls Chewie.

But nobody understands him. So they fly away.

haha! Sorry off topic but I had to!

dm

13. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    [face_laugh]

I can just picture Chewie jumping around and screaming while the Falcon flies off.

14. Sophita

Sophita Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    [face_laugh] Nice one!

I don't think he had any idea. I think he concerned Leia like a sister, as a very close friend, but I don't think he ever actually knew she was his biological sister.

15. amien

amien Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 23, 2002
    I am just wondering; wasn't Leia curious as to how she could hear Luke's cries for help in her head? Was this indicating, in ESB before the ROTJ revelation, that Leia has some sort of Force powers, because she could communicate mentally? And how did Luke know that Leia would hear him, anyway? I also wondered if people just accepted this as normal telepathic communication, or they assumed Leia had the Force.

16. The___

May 14, 2002
    wasn't Leia curious as to how she could hear Luke's cries for help in her head?

My guess is yes. I find it to be interesting that when she instructs Chewie to go back, and sees that Luke is actually where she thought he was, she sounds surprised ("It's Luke!")

17. DarthMandarb

May 29, 2002
    Perhaps she only felt the need to turn around. She just had an urge to turn around. She didn't really hear Luke, she felt him, so that could account for her suprise. I'm sometimes suprised when a hunch plays out ...

On another note, if I didn't have the force, but knew it existed, and somebody who did have it communicated with me in that fashion? I'd probably just say, "Well who knows what they can do with the force."

But I'm more inclined to think she just felt the need to turn about and fly back. Just my thoughts ...

dm

18. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    "Just look at the look on his face when Leia is revealed"

And hear the words from his mouth when he reveals it. ;)

"I can just picture Chewie jumping around and screaming while the Falcon flies off."

[Lando] All right, All right, All right [/Lando] [face_laugh]

"Well who knows what they can do with the force."

Leia's known...somehow.....

Sorry :p

19. TheWombat

TheWombat Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 9, 2002
    Luke says, "Chewie ... hear me ... Chewie"

Meanwhile back in the Falcon, "Rhaharrrgghh reerggg rahg" growls Chewie.

But nobody understands him. So they fly away.

LOL, good one. But then again, who's gonna stop him? He's lookin for an excuse to strangle Lando anyway...

Where does a 500 lb wookiee pilot the Millenium Falcon?

Anywhere he wants!

20. Jedi of the West

Jedi of the West Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 7, 1999
    He doesn't the truth about Leia until ROTJ. In fact it doesn't even look like Obi-Wan knew that Luke and Leia were brother and sister in TESB.

21. ratmankey

ratmankey Jedi Master star 4

Feb 15, 2002
    Perhaps she only felt the need to turn around. She just had an urge to turn around. She didn't really hear Luke, she felt him, so that could account for her suprise.

Interesting idea, except she whispers "Luke" when he calls her...so obviously she knew it was him.

22. Ret

Ret Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 17, 1999
    I'd say no he's just closer to Leia.

23. Chewie18977

Chewie18977 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 3, 2003
    i think he sensed a deep connection but didnt know what it was

24. MikeSolo

MikeSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2002
    Luke wasn't that bright, so I think that when he could sense and call Leia through the force he might of thought they were soul mates. After all he thought she was beautiful and she kisses him.

25. DarthMandarb

May 29, 2002
    ratmankey - I still think my idea could be valid though. She might still have felt the need to turn around, and know it was Luke that was the reason, but still not have actually heard the words, right?

dm

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.