main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Luke, Mara, love, and what their future holds

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JadeTheMara, Sep 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JadeTheMara

JadeTheMara Jedi Youngling

Sep 5, 2004
    Hello All ^_^ I got inspired from the Luke, Mara, Sex, and the Force thread to post this one:

How do you view Luke and Mara's relationship, both emotionally, and physically, and where do you think it will be in books to come (after the NJO)? Do you think they will have any more children after Ben? (ie: in one of the NJO Leia conforts Mara by telling her she's sure her and Jaina will have many children, In VOTF Mara sees a vision of her and Luke with "Children" plural)

Any excerpts from any of the expanded universe books about this topic are welcome! ^__~

2. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    Rell from COPL also mentioned Skywalker's children---plural.

I've found the Skywalker-Jade "close" scens too lover-dovey in style. They seem to be written stiffly as a general rule, and Jade always seems to be the subservient partner in the "time" they have "offpage." I got this several times from a variety of dialogue. Not saying that Skywalker has to serve Jade; just that they don't have the fast and less rigid chummy lines the Solo pair have.

Every romance scene with the twins were equally awkward and, at least to me, came out more adultlike in speech than they should be for those their age. Okay, their more advanced in that galaxy, and you age intellectually faster as well as in war. But still . . .

3. Tiershon_Fett

Tiershon_Fett Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    What the future holds? The usual.

Luke sitting on the couch with a beer, a remote, and a five o'clock shadow.

Mara in a tent dress eating Twinkies by the sink.

Ben, out all night, trying to do stand up duwe to his shocking likeness to Carrot Top.

4. HanSolOKniser3

HanSolOKniser3 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 10, 2003
    I don't think that we are going to see a repeat performance of Han and Leia's NJO marital strain between Luke and Mara.

So either they will be incredibly happy together until death do them part, or, Mara will turn out to ba part of the Great Sith Conspiracy (along with Jorg Car'das, Vergere, Jacen, Zonama Sekot, Qui-Gon Jin, and Yoda.) :D

[face_peace]
    :)
    [face_monkey]

5. academygrad88

academygrad88 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 6, 2004
    T_F, for somebody that does not like Mara you sure talk about her, her fate, her kid and husband a lot. ;) Me thinks you are closet Mara fan.

And what do you have against redheads! Some of the most beautiful people in the world are redheads!

6. Tiershon_Fett

Oct 25, 2000
    Yes, but if you take a look at Carrot Top, he has a face a lot like Mark Hamill. And he has those weird plucked looking round eyebrows liker that card model. I don't think he'll be much of a looker.

7. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    T_F: nahh. The kid is going to look like a cross between Ewen McGregor and Anakin Solo...

:p

JadeTheMara: to get back to the topic of the thread, Mother Rell mentioned a "wife and children" back in CoPL, too... I'd like to hope that Ben gets a baby sister... :) The Skywalkers deserve some peace and quiet for a while... or at least, a less unsettled kind of interesting... ;)

- The Imperial Ewok

8. Lord_NoONE

Lord_NoONE Jedi Master star 5

Dec 17, 2001
    I see divorce in their future after Mara tells Luke she got knocked up by his nephew.

9. academygrad88

Apr 6, 2004
    nahh. The kid is going to look like a cross between Ewen McGregor and Anakin Solo

Are we starting a new paternity conspiracy here?

10. Tiershon_Fett

Oct 25, 2000
    That's Ewan.

And Obi-wan is more likely to be a couple with Anakin Solo than a girl.

11. Amidala Starkiller

Amidala Starkiller Jedi Master star 6

Dec 11, 1999
    Luke, Mara, love, and what their future holds

I'm still hoping for a divorce :)

12. Shelley

Shelley Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 9, 2001
    So am I, Amidala Starkiller.

What their future will hold: more Mara pregnancies where she acts, and is treated, like she invented birth, more gushing about their perfect marriage, their perfect bond, and wuvvy-duvvy scenes where they kiss and cuddle while Han and Leia wish they could get some time alone.

After all, Luke and Mara's marriage is apparently sacred -- the powers that be would never dare put them through the torment they inflicted on Han and Leia. They would never dare have Luke be verbally cruel to Mara before walking out on her. They would never dare have Luke think dreamily about "the good times" with Callista and then talk like the times since weren't good. And if by some miracle they were separated, they would not get gypped out of a decent reunion because of author preference for another couple -- they would get an entire chapter, if not an entire book, devoted to their reunion. Everything Han and Leia were denied, Luke and Mara have gotten in spades, so why would that trend stop?

What I would like to see their future hold: marital trouble. The reason given for the Han/Leia separation was "to shake them up and make them more interesting." If there's a couple which needs to be shaken up and made more interesting, it's Luke and Mara. The books won't shut up about their Force bond and how it makes them the perfect couple. It's boring. Why not have Luke not just rediscover his spine, but reimplant it...and actually stand up to his wife for a change? Being married, and mind-melded, to a woman like Mara would try the patience of a saint, and Luke is NOT a saint. Why not have him do something that would REALLY tick her off: i.e., revoking her (completely undeserved) Jedi master title? Or maybe they could have a conflict regarding Ben: Mara wants to raise him to be a warrior, whereas Luke wants to steer him toward the nonviolent aspects of Jedihood.

13. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    Run, Skywalker, run. Quick. I'll cover you. I'll . . . duck into that blue police box. It only looks small but it's safer.

14. academygrad88

Apr 6, 2004
    And Obi-wan is more likely to be a couple with Anakin Solo than a girl.

Obi-Wan is not gay. In fact, I think Obi-Wan has a thing for Commander Asajj Ventress. Why do you think he allowed her to keep him chained up and wearing a gimp mask in her dungeon for so long? He could have escaped sooner. I think he found it thrilling to be dominated by such a beautiful and sensuous woman (even if she is bald). ;)

I'm still hoping for a divorce.

If they got a divorce then there would be nothing for the Mara-bashers to complain about. It that happened we would all miss T_F's vitriolic rants. ;)

Everything Han and Leia were denied, Luke and Mara have gotten in spades, so why would that trend stop?

You are right about Leia and Han getting the short end of the stick. They are a great couple and the authors should give them some good and happy times together. I don?t believe trashing Luke and Mara?s relationship will solve this problem, though. Han and Leia?s love should be celebrated with the same frequency and intensity that we see with L/M.

Look at the bright side, at least Han and Leia don?t have McEwok questioning the paternity of their children.

Or maybe they could have a conflict regarding Ben: Mara wants to raise him to be a warrior, whereas Luke wants to steer him toward the nonviolent aspects of Jedihood.

This would be an interesting and believable conflict that they could face.

I've found the Skywalker-Jade "close" scenes too lover-dovey in style. They seem to be written stiffly as a general rule, and Jade always seems to be the subservient partner in the "time" they have "offpage."

I found this to be true to, but it may be done on purpose. Some of the dialog in the books hints that Luke and Mara like to partake in occasional D & S (Dominance-Submissive) role-playing. For example, Mara jokingly asks Luke if he wants her to call him Master like she sometimes does.

15. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    The only thing I hope that their future holds is a divorce and subsequent annulment.

16. Shelley

Sep 9, 2001
    You are right about Leia and Han getting the short end of the stick. They are a great couple and the authors should give them some good and happy times together.

For a change. But the NJO heaped one abuse after another on them.

I don?t believe trashing Luke and Mara?s relationship will solve this problem, though.

Putting conflict in their excruciatingly "perfect" union is not the same as "trashing." As I pointed out above, Luke and Mara's romance is apparently sacred, and the powers that be would never dare trash it -- certainly they would never trash it like they freely trashed Han and Leia's. So while that would certainly be fair, it will never happen.

I merely want to see the awe and respect and deference that Luke and Mara's romance is regularly given to stop. Han and Leia, besides being a much more popular couple than Luke and Mara, have been to hell and back more times than I care to count, and survived multiple traumas when any one of them, to say nothing of all of them, would've broken up most other couples. Yet they don't get anywhere near the respect that they deserve. Meanwhile the books love to remind us about Luke and Mara's (flourish of trumpets, please!) Force bond and how it makes them the perfect couple and perfect team, in case we forgot it from three paragraphs ago.

I've seen romance novel publishers describe their sci-fi tinged books as "having a romance like Han and Leia." How ironic that the publisher which actually possesses the rights to the characters has instead chosen to abuse them so horribly. Meanwhile, other romances get, and have gotten, red carpet treatment.

Han and Leia?s love should be celebrated with the same frequency and intensity that we see with L/M.

Look at the bright side, at least Han and Leia don?t have McEwok questioning the paternity of their children.

No, but they do have authors abusing their romance, having Leia question whether Han loves her as much as Luke loves Mara, and other unsubtle promotions of Luke and Mara at their expense.

This would be an interesting and believable conflict that they could face.

And I don't want their (flourish of trumpets, please!) Force bond to smooth it over like it does everything else. I want it to be a REAL conflict.

I found this to be true to, but it may be done on purpose. Some of the dialog in the books hints that Luke and Mara like to partake in occasional D & S (Dominance-Submissive) role-playing. For example, Mara jokingly asks Luke if he wants her to call him Master like she sometimes does.

Eww. Why do the books insist on defaming the Force and the Jedi Order in such a way? It's bad enough that Mara is made a Jedi Master, but she and Luke also use the term in their sex talk.

17. academygrad88

Apr 6, 2004
    Eww. Why do the books insist on defaming the Force and the Jedi Order in such a way? It's bad enough that Mara is made a Jedi Master, but she and Luke also use the term in their sex talk.

If you don't like that comment Shelley you better not visit the Luke, Mara, the Force and Sex thread. ;)

18. Shelley

Sep 9, 2001
    Well, I think I did post in it, back when it was still relatively new. I was wondering how Mara, who we're supposed to believe was a virgin, pure as the new fallen snow, until she married Luke, instantly transformed into the most skilled and knowledgeable lover in the universe, as the books would have us believe.

Or maybe that was another thread.

In any case, another thing I would like to see their future hold is for Mara to come face to face, literally, with her past. One of the more intriguing characters in "Xena: Warrior Princess" was Callisto, the woman whose family Xena butchered while she was evil. (Callisto had turned evil herself, but it didn't change what Xena had done.) I think it'd make for a great story if the sibling/spouse/child of one of Mara's victims had a vendetta against her and sought her out to wreak vengeance. That would remind the characters, and the readers, of what Mara had been -- it would bring her past back out from the carpet that it's been swept under.

Luke would certainly defend his wife, but perhaps this would take the blinders off his eyes -- he would see that this person wasn't acting out of hatred, but out of hurt. Moreover, he'd be reminded of what he's been in denial about for years: Mara was capable of, and did, evil...that she destroyed a lot of lives, and that her (relatively few) good deeds since then have not erased that or made it better.

19. Thrawn McEwok

May 9, 2000
    Shelley: well... maybe Farmboy's the depraved sexual pervert of the pair?

:p

- The Imperial Ewok

20. Shelley

Sep 9, 2001
    But we're supposed to believe HE was a virgin too, pure as the new fallen snow, before marrying Mara.

21. academygrad88

Apr 6, 2004
    Yes, but we're supposed to believe HE was a virgin too, pure as the new fallen snow, before marrying Mara.

No, I think most people believe he had relations with Callista.

EDIT: ADDED THE FOLLOWING:

I was wondering how Mara, who we're supposed to believe was a virgin, pure as the new fallen snow, until she married Luke, instantly transformed into the most skilled and knowledgeable lover in the universe, as the books would have us believe.

Perhaps she reads the Luke, Mara, the Force and Sex thread. You will be amazed at what you learn in that forum topic. :p

No seriously, perhaps Mara is a voracious reader like I am. She probably read the book Kama Sutra of Sexual Positions: The Tantric Art of Love. ;)

I think it is possible for two virgins (or one virgin and one partner with little experience) to learn to be great lovers together.

22. Shelley

Sep 9, 2001
    Perhaps she reads the Luke, Mara, the Force and Sex thread. You will be amazed at what you learn in that forum topic.

No thanks. [face_sick]

Kind of interesting, though, how there's so much focus on the sexual aspect of Luke and Mara's relationship. Maybe that's because it's the only aspect of their relationship.

No seriously, perhaps Mara is a voracious reader like I am. She probably read the book Kama Sutra of Sexual Positions: The Tantric Art of Love.

Why would she do that? We're supposed to think she kept not only her body but her mind totally pure. After all, even as an assassin, she was practically a saint, making sure only to knock off bad people, or people she thought were bad. Meanwhile she cried and wailed over the deaths of innocents, even though Palpatine still totally controlled her and never permitted her to question her missions, even after his death.

I think it is possible for two virgins (or one virgin and one partner with little experience) to learn to be great lovers together.

Instantly?

Anyway...I suppose they did learn to be great lovers together. Heaven knows they got enough practice; they didn't shy away from hopping into bed, even as their students were dying and Luke's sister went through one trauma after another and the galaxy fell down around their ears.

23. Thrawn McEwok

May 9, 2000
    Shelley: you have read Tyrant's Test, right? ;)

- The Imperial Ewok

24. Shelley

Sep 9, 2001
    Years ago. Why?

25. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Because Luke gets some action in it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.