main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Luke, Mara, the Force, and Sex in the Expanded Universe (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by HanSolOKniser3, Jul 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HanSolOKniser3

HanSolOKniser3 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 10, 2003
    I'd like to ask a question about Luke and Mara's sexual relationship.

While reading a passage during "Balance Point", I got to thinking:

Based upon Mara's belief that the Force should not be taken for granted and that a person should push themselves as far as they can go without having to rely on the Force as a crutch or a cushion, do you think that Luke and Mara use the Force to reach higher levels of pleasure during lovemaking?

Any thoughts?

:)
    [face_monkey]

2. academygrad88

academygrad88 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 6, 2004
    Other than knowing each other's thoughts and feelings, I am not sure how the Force would help. Are you talking about levitation? [face_thinking]

I don't think Luke and Mara would need to use the Force at all.

3. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Frankly, I think the fine muscle control and agility that come from Mara's background as an assassin and dancer and Luke's yogic physical training with Yoda would be more helpful than most of what they could do with the force. . .

Unless they used the Force to use toys while their hands were busy elsewhere. . . [face_mischief]

4. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    Thrawn McEwok will have a theory on this. I know he will. He won't disappoint us. [face_batting]

5. Tiedott

Tiedott Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 14, 2004
    call me stupid or whatever, i haven't read many EU books yet, but did they ever get any children? if no, why not?

tho most-far-reaching i have read was Vector Prime, and there she was afraid / unable to become pregnant because of the disease caused by nom anor...

6. Lank_Pavail

Lank_Pavail Jedi Knight star 7

Sep 26, 2002
    The Force bond they share might allow them to more easily find points on each other's bodies where sensitivity is higher, so called 'sweet spots'.

Leia might also have the same advantage, while Han's going about it the tried and true manner: trial and error.

But let's wait for Thawn McEwok and his therioes about Froce Tantric sex or the like. :p

7. Tiedott

Tiedott Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 14, 2004
    but uhm... did they ever get children so far?

8. SlackJawedJedi

SlackJawedJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2004
    They got one kid, Ben Skywalker. In the book "Rebirth"

He hasn't really done much though (being a baby and all).

9. CaptainArdiff

CaptainArdiff Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 26, 1999
    Well, there we are - use the Force as a birth control tool ;)

10. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    Interesting question. I wouldnt be surprised at all if they used the Force to enhance their lovemaking. It'd obviously make it even more intimate and personal and make the overall experience much better.

11. CaptainArdiff

CaptainArdiff Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 26, 1999
    Indubitably. One has only so many fingers/limbs/digits etc. This whole topic is possibly a bit too adult for here, but it's not yet been closed... >shrug<

Is anybody else having consciously to avoid thinking of Mark Hamill naked?

12. SlackJawedJedi

SlackJawedJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2004
    You know it, brother. *Shudders*

13. Pellaeon-Firke

Pellaeon-Firke Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    *paging Thrawn McEwok*

And I think CaptainArdiff's right about birth control. Which adds even more fuel to the A/M theory.

14. Suzuki_Akira

Suzuki_Akira Jedi Master star 7

May 13, 2003
    What the !*^!**&$...

15. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    "Based upon Mara's belief that the Force should not be taken for granted and that a person should push themselves as far as they can go without having to rely on the Force as a crutch or a cushion."

In my opinion Mara has that view because as far as the force is concerned she has force impotence, so she is forced to rely more on her own abilities than her abilities of the force. She's not the strongest force user, according to the EU, she had received most of her ability to use the force from Palpatine's own power, when he died, most of the power she received from palpatine began to fade from her. So she was left a fairly weak force user as far as testing goes (though she can still use the force, she's no Yoda, Obi-Wan or Luke Skywalker in level of power). So out of jealousy, which she masks from those around her, she tries to convince other characters who have more power than her to not use their powers so that they limited to her level of ability of power, since she can't espect to ever reach their level of potential. Its a way to feel more equal to those around her.

16. rogue_wookiee

rogue_wookiee Jedi Youngling star 6

Apr 24, 2004
    I'm with Suzuki. What the frag (stick rant here). . .!

And Val. Mara was self relient. If she didn't have to use the Force she didn't. Like when a friend of min had a broken ankle. If he could do something without using his crutches he wouldn't touch them. She was still very powerful. I believe someone has said that in SQ it is stated that she is just as strong as Luke. I don't have it on hand so don't hold me to that.

17. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Then she's absorbing her power from Luke, probably. Because bantam era said when she stopped getting power from palpatine she had become weak as far as force potential was concerned.

Don't get me wrong I love the character, I find the fact that she is a leech(first with Palpatine, and later with Luke), in other words a force vampire to be very interesting.

18. rogue_wookiee

Apr 24, 2004
    Here comes the whole Force vampire nonsense. . .

19. Lank_Pavail

Lank_Pavail Jedi Knight star 7

Sep 26, 2002
    *Warning: this is just a theory, I don't claim this to be THE answer, just a possible explanation*

I've always thought of using the Force like using a muscle. If you don't keep exercising it, it atrophies. Sources show she wasn't using her Force abilities much after Endor, so she likely 'lost' them simply because she hadn't been practicing. We see the same thing with Kyle Katarn after MotS and JO. Mara gets a 'jump start' thanks to Palpy's Last Command when she sees Luke and Kyle gets his by visiting the Valley of the Jedi.

But back on topic:

I suppose it could be used as a birth control or fertility method, helping a woman to know exactly when she's fertile, perhaps removing the ovum by conscious effort, etc.

Somehow, though I don't picture a Jedi, male or female concetrating on using the Force like that, since it might divide his or her or their attentions from the act itself. ;)

20. rogue_wookiee

Apr 24, 2004
    Actually to disprove the Force leech junk. Mara was quite good with the Force in MJ: BtEH. After Palpatine died she did the final task he set for her. And she used the Force very well. TK and all.

However I think that her Force bond with Luke may have caused her to grow in power. But that doesn't make her a Force leech.

21. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    "Actually to disprove the Force leech junk. Mara was quite good with the Force in MJ: BtEH. After Palpatine died she did the final task he set for her. And she used the Force very well. TK and all."

That doesn't disprove a thing, that was only a week to a month after Endor, her powers hadn't completely faded yet, the bantam EU explains that she had lost her connection to the emperor, and couldn't get anymore power from him, leading up to how she was in TTT(...and later bantam sources)... The Eu was clear that the power she had received from the emperor had faded over time until she was weak as far as force potential was concerned. As pointed she also let her natural force abilities atrophy as well.

She didn't know palpatine was still alive either, so she didn't go looking for him, and she couldn't absorb energy from him anymore. For that matter Palpatine viewed her as a traitor, because she never tried to find him, so he never bothered to contact her.

While I think atrophying from lack of use is part of the answer, its not the entire answer, as the bantam EU explained that she also took a good share of her power from Palpatine, a source of power that she lost.

Kyle never leached power from anyone else on a continuous basis like Mara, though he did have "Force Leech/Drain" power in Jedi Knight the game, to give him extra energy from his foes if he needed it, that is if if you chose to learn the power.

22. rogue_wookiee

Apr 24, 2004
    Yeah. I'm sure she was leeching power of the Emperor's foot (joke from tales) in hard vacuum over Endor. After the final assignment she let it slide and they declined. Whenever she worked at it the improved. Whenever she didn't they declined.

23. Tiershon_Fett

Tiershon_Fett Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    Mara is clearly a force leech.

By the time she met Luke, she burst into sweat trying lift a small pebble, and couldn't determine how many people were in the room. She couldn't feel them.

Then as soon as she's with Luke (her new host), she has powers again. So wherever did she get them? From Luke. Use common sense.

Hmmm, let's see, girl has powers around galaxy's most powerful force user, then he dies and her powers dissapear. Then, girl meets new most powerful force user and then her "powers" come back!
    Conclusion: They ain't hers. Her only real ability in the force is to suck their life essense from them. She can't do squat. I believe that's why she stuck with Luke instead of going with her supposedly beloved kid. She can't leech off him. So she sticks with Luke. She was of no use at all on the ZS mission. She was there because her host was there. She's more of a force parasite than anything.

Besides, the BTH hand comic, was the first step towards the ridiculous whitewashing and retconning of Mara. The fact is, Mara was a weak force user, and Zahn can't go "Do over!"
    Doesn't work with me.

24. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    HanSolOKniser3: I'd like to ask a question about Luke and Mara's sexual relationship.

Farmboy knows what sex is?! :eek: :p

Excellence: Thrawn McEwok will have a theory on this. I know he will. He won't disappoint us.

Theory? Um, no?

Straightfoward evidence from profic? Um, yes?

Am I going to say exactly where in profic it is? Um, no?

I want to make sure the editors at LFL/DelRey have noticed it before I start causing trouble for any of the novellists... [face_whistling]

Hope you're not disappointed... [face_mischief]

L_P: But let's wait for Thawn McEwok and his therioes about Froce Tantric sex or the like. :p

A 'tantric' element in the sex-life of the Skywalkers? Yes, that's made pretty clear in the passage I'm thinking of...

Do they use the Force? That's not made clear, and there are further deliberate ambiguities in the relevant passage, I think - not least the unsettling question of whether we 'should' be eavesdropping on that sort of 'private' moment between a married (and, adding to the unease, fictional) couple...

But that's all part of the fun... :D

SJJ: They got one kid, Ben Skywalker. In the book "Rebirth"

Um. Yeah. :p

CaptainArdiff: Is anybody else having consciously to avoid thinking of Mark Hamill naked?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

P-F: *paging Thrawn McEwok*

And I think CaptainArdiff's right about birth control. Which adds even more fuel to the A/M theory.

Not the Force, but yep, they were taking 'precautions' during the NJO... I think there was something in Balance Point about the effect of Vergere's tears... [face_mischief]

S_A: What the !*^!**&$...

Aye. It's a thread about !*^!**&$ing... um, I mean, cookies. Yeah. Cookies. They eat cookies before going to sleep. And they use the Force to keep the crumbs off the sheets...

Val, rogue: well, we do know that Mara's power in the Force faded after Palpatine's death, then increased for a while when Lumiya was tracking her on Caprioril, then increased again during T3 (C'baoth? Luke? Leia? The twins?), and again, from the moment her and Luke came together on Nirauan...

L_P: I've always thought of using the Force like using a muscle.

[face_laugh] I'm sure you have...

- The Imperial Ewok

25. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    "well, we do know that Mara's power in the Force faded after Palpatine's death, then increased for a while when Lumiya was tracking her on Caprioril, then increased again during T3 (C'baoth? Luke? Leia? The twins?), and again, from the moment her and Luke came together on Nirauan..."

So what you are pointing out is that she leeches off any force user she can in her vicinity be they villains or allies in order to be able to use other powers?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.