main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Luke, Mara, the Force, and Sex in the Expanded Universe (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by HanSolOKniser3, Jul 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Quiet_Mandalorian

Quiet_Mandalorian Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2005
    Ah, but he been an even greater hero if she made the offer and he turned it down out of fidelity to Jan. ;)

2. Earthknight

Earthknight Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 3, 2002
    Kyle had a choice: do the wild thing with sexy Mara and be a hero. Or turn her down and be a great hero.

He chose option one [face_mischief] .

3. Quiet_Mandalorian

Apr 19, 2005
    Fixed. ;)

4. Earthknight

Oct 3, 2002
    Oh come now, it's pretty evident which option he chose;) . Who wouldn't want to do the wild thing with Mara?

5. Quiet_Mandalorian

Apr 19, 2005
    I don't think it really ought to be an issue of wanting. :p

6. Knightfire

Knightfire Jedi Youngling star 1

May 3, 2008
    Anyone who'd want to deal with a royally p***ed off, lightsaber-wielding farmboy afterward.

7. Earthknight

Oct 3, 2002
    And yet...Kyle got away with it [face_mischief] . And then later....Anakin got away with it [face_mischief] . And who knows...between DNT and LotF, Jacen might've gotten away with it :D !

8. Emperor_Time

Emperor_Time Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2007
    Well I know of one guy that Mara never had sex with. [face_whistling]

9. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Hate to change the topic but does anyone think that Lumiya went the extra yard in seducing Jacen to the Sith?

10. Eleventh_Guard

Eleventh_Guard Jedi Master star 5

Dec 17, 2005
    I don't know about getting away with it. Luke has other ways to get at people who messed with Mara, ways that don't involve coming straight at the person with a lightsaber. Like having them lead strike teams to Myrkr... let the Yuuzhan Vong do the dirty work.

11. Earthknight

Oct 3, 2002
    :eek:

Now having Anakin lead that team makes more sense now....Luckily Kyle made out like a bandit :D .

12. Jmacq1

Jmacq1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 20, 2005
    To answer the question: There are plenty that like to speculate in that direction. I don't find it very likely, myself, even barring the question of how "functional" Lumiya was after her injuries.

As much as I know it crushes people to consider that every conceivable pairing isn't going at it like bunnies in-between the lines and off the pages, Jacen was already virtually asexual by the time Dark Nest rolled around. Even Tenel Ka came across as more of a political and intellectual endeavor than a passionate one. Sure, he loved her, but he was so off-kilter after the Vong war that he was almost "above" such things....remember..."luminous beings are we, not this crude matter." Jacen's whole goal was to become one of those "luminous beings" (again).

Lumiya didn't need sex to lure Jacen to the Sith (aside from the fact that he was about 3/4s of the way there by the time she met him). In fact offering it up probably would have cheapened her in his eyes.

13. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    I was just looking at the Guri article on the Wook and had forgotten how baldly sexual Xizor was in that book.

That's all I had to say, really...

14. Jmacq1

May 20, 2005
    Yeah, SotE might have the most blatantly sexual dialogue of any of the Novels. Or at least the most direct reference to the actual occurrence of the act. I recall my eyebrows raising a bit upon my first read-through, during Xizor's musings in his bath.

15. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Yeah, I remember him contemplating asking Guri to get in the bath with him to pleasure him, and him saying that he'd get the nude versions of Leia's holos at a later time.

Xizor's always putting off sex. Think maybe stress is giving him...problems?

16. Jmacq1

May 20, 2005
    Nah...he was clearly quite virile, and was planning on seducing Leia just a short while later.

I'm guessing he just wasn't in the mood at that particular moment.

17. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    I think it's just that Xizor is a Falleen, a predator whose primary quarry are the mammalian females his pheromones are so effective on. That's the way he regards attractive females: as prey in their own right, as potential tools for winning other, more abstract and sophisticated forms of quarry (such as power), and as sources of pleasure (itself a quarry to pursue, and one closely linked to his hormonal instincts, too)....

(random thought: Falleen sex pheromones work on mammals--is that a hunting adaptation, rather than a purely sexual one?) o_O [face_thinking]

And did Kyle have an affair with Mara? She might have wanted one... she might have wanted one with Anakin, too...

... but there's no canon evidence that it happened. In both cases, Jan and Tahiri's canonical objections were to a closeness that seemed a little degrading for their men, but actually went nowhere. [face_mischief]

So there.

- The Imperial Ewok

18. Earthknight

Oct 3, 2002
    True. There's no canon evidence. However, McEwok, you can't deny the little hints that something went down between Kyle and Mara and even Mara and Anakin.

19. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Well, I can't imagine an evolutionary reason a reptile would have to screw a mammal, so yes, it probably evolved initially as a hunting thing.

It might even just be a side effect of a completely separate biological process.

20. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    I can't deny the "hints", as you call them: Mara flirted a little with Kyle, and liked being close to Anakin, and they smiled back in a friendly manner - it's just that that doesn't mean anything. Kyle and Anakin are nice guys, Mara is a flirt. It happens. :D

Oh, sure, if you accept the Darwinian principle, don't you have to assume the origins of the capability are entirely random?

But what it seems to me is that the effect makes sense if it serves primarily as a way to manipulate mammalian species, rather than just Falleen - note that the pheremones are also accompanied by a change in skin-tone to a more mammalian hue. The presence of canonically-problematic pseudomammaries would have to be a coincidence, and a bizarre one, but could also have optimized their ability to integrate....

The pheromones, however, are also explicitly tied into the Falleen's own sex-drives, and that leads to an extra effect involving interspecies copulation. It may be that the complex Falleen pheromone signature does indeed have its origins in their own mating biology, but that is, I believe, hard to imagine for a reptile...

Or they could just have been shaped by the ancient Sith? [face_mischief]

- The Imperial Ewok

21. dizfactor

dizfactor Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 12, 2002
    Arkanians did it. One size fits all excuse for any bioweirdness.

22. Emperor_Time

Emperor_Time Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2007
    Well they were part of the Sith Empire at one point. [face_devil] [face_skull]

23. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    [face_laugh]

24. UltimateMandalore

UltimateMandalore Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 2, 2006
    I am slow on the Legacy comics. So did Cade have sex with Talon? What happened?

25. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.