main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Luke or Han? Who do you prefer ?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Winghead77, Mar 5, 2016.

1. Winghead77

Winghead77 Jedi Youngling

Mar 4, 2016
    As much as I appreciate Han for his role in the series and what Harrison Ford brought to the series, I am going with Luke on this one. Luke Skywalker has stood the test of time as perhaps the greatest fictional hero of all time. In only 3 films his metamorphosis had enoug depth to keep him important over almost 4 decades, and he was the OT character that most fans were most excited to see in TFA. I can guarantee that his role in Ep 8 will be monumental.

2. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    It used to flip flop but now it's Han Solo.

Badass smuggler but who still cares, he was great in VII too.

3. Darthman92

Darthman92 Force Ghost star 6

Feb 24, 2016
    Both are great, but ultimately I find Luke's story/character-arc the interesting of the two.

Sarge likes this.
  4. MoonFyre

MoonFyre Jedi Master star 2

Jan 19, 2016
    As a character, Han Solo is more exciting to watch. But Luke has the better, compelling story overall. His development is more fulfilling (although Han's character growth is great too).

BibFortuna_ and Sarge like this.
  5. Black Leader

Black Leader Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 4, 2016
    I pick the pirate over the farm boy

6. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    It depends on my mood, really. Sometimes I'm feeling it for Han, sometimes I'm feeling it for Luke.

themoth and Sarge like this.
  7. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Both for different reasons.

True Sith, Sarge and Dinos4Ever like this.
  8. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Han is great in his own, comparatively shallow way, but I've never really understood the insane hype surrounding that character.
    Luke is the heart and soul of the trilogy. Without him, what's the point?

Darth Dnej and Sarge like this.
  9. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    Depends on the film, Han certainly in ANH but by the end of ESB and though ROTJ Luke is the better character for me.

10. Pain and Suffering

Pain and Suffering Jedi Master star 3

Mar 8, 2015
    I like Luke the best. He's my favorite Star Wars character.

11. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Luke is the role model we want our daughters to date. Han is the bad boy our daughters want to date.

12. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    Luke.

13. Davak24

Davak24 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 15, 2015
    Both are awesome, but Luke slightly, because of how he managed to redeem his father. IMO, those were some of the Saga's best scenes.

Nyota's Heart likes this.
  14. Padmes_love_slave24

Padmes_love_slave24 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 24, 2003
    Han is a great entertaining character and a very important one but come on this one for is easy Luke Skywalker the farm boy who grew up to be a jedi knight and save his father

Nyota's Heart likes this.
  15. Prisic Duskleap

Prisic Duskleap Jedi Master star 3

Jul 24, 2014
    Han by far Luke is too much of a goody 2 shoes in the OT.

RX-77 likes this.
  16. Bob the X-Winger

Bob the X-Winger Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 8, 2016
    Neither are the best in the Saga for me Darth Vader stands out as the best portrayed of all of them followed by Leia she is just a wonderful character and finally a women as a prime character. If any one of you familiar with later tv series Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Veronica Mars both have leading women whereas Star Wars had a leading women right at the beginning of the franchise

17. zisme

zisme Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 19, 2016
  18. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    As a kid and teenager, Luke. Common misconception: Luke Skywalker is actually a bona fide badass. Look at pretty much everything he does in Return of the Jedi. Force chokes two guards for standing in his way. Nonchalantly Jedi mind-tricking his way into the palace. Murders a rancor with a door. "You should have bargained, Jabba. That's the last mistake you'll ever make." "Jabba! This is your last chance: free us, or die." "Point it at the deck!" Seriously, blowing up that sail barge wasn't remotely necessary, he was just having fun thoroughly wiping out the slime that made life hell for the people of Tatooine. Jumping from one speeder bike moving at breakneck speed to another. Cutting off the nose of a speeder bike, like an absolute tool, and letting it take its rider into a tree where it explodes into a ball of fire. His punk ass smile when the Ewoks were pointing spears at everyone, and waiting until the absolute last moment to trick the Ewoks into thinking 3PO was a god. I mean, he's really not taking that entire encounter seriously at all; he probably thinks it's hilarious and he's just letting Han sweat a little. The way he's probably the only person ever to talk smack to the Emperor like that. I mean, Luke has no delusions of surviving that encounter. He fully expects his own friends to blow him into a million little pieces; he's just savoring the moment by being rude to the Emperor's face. "Your overconfidence is your weakness." "You're wrong. Soon I'll be dead, and you with me." "You've failed, your highness." $10 says Palpatine was using all his strength not to cry from frustration.

Even in the first film, naive as he is (and he's endearingly naive), after he watches Obi-Wan get cut down he stands around for a few moments, taking pot shots at stormtroopers. And he no-scopes the Death Star. And he takes down an Imperial walker on foot. And he holds his own against Vader in his first duel, going so far as to kick him off a heightened platform and score a blow on his shoulder before he's cornered. And when Vader says, "Turn to the Dark Side and rule the Galaxy with me," Luke basically just thinks, "Yeah, I'd rather kill myself," and then immediately attempts to do just that. I cannot imagine what a blow to Vader's self-esteem that was.

At the end of the day, that utter incorruptibility is what makes Luke Skywalker awesome. When he's tempted with unspeakable power and asked to turn to the Dark Side by the two most powerful individuals in the entire Galaxy, one of whom is his father, his response both times is the same. "I'd rather be dead. I'm going to be the better person here, even if it literally kills me." That takes serious guts and conviction.

You know, I was about to say, "At this point in my life, Han." I relate to Han quite a bit (in the "most relatable Star Wars character" thread in the Saga forum, I detail why in depth), and he's extremely cool (his personality, his attire, Chewie, the Falcon, his relationship with Leia), but I think I might have just reminded myself why I loved Luke so much in the first place.

Cartooncheryl, AshiusX, Avnar and 9 others like this.
  19. AstroDroid88

AstroDroid88 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2016
    I honestly love both characters but I think Luke edges out Han for me. Luke is a better role model than Han but Han does have a lovable feature about him that

20. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    You know, with a day to mull it over, Han is still my favorite of the two at this stage in my life, but I stand by everything I wrote about Luke. Luke Skywalker is just the absolute business.

21. AniLukeRey

AniLukeRey Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 6, 2016
    Luke has the edge for me.

22. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Luke! But Han is great too.

23. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Great read...as usual! :cool:

Nate787 and PymParticles like this.
  24. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    [​IMG]

AshiusX likes this.
  25. Darth DoJ

Darth DoJ Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 13, 2016
    Luke but both are unique by today's movie standards. Today you only get pretty boys with beefy gym bodies, Luke was a skinny lad and Han was a right and ready dude but both are more representative of what kind of people those characters would be like in real life, and I wish Hollywood would go back to using those kinds of people. We relate to both Luke and Han much more than we do to batman or Tony stark, not because we are more likely to relate to a Jedi knight or the fastest smuggler ever on the kessel run than batman or iron man, all unrealistic (perhaps Han is the closest to realistic, I'd imagine) but we like the idea that guys who look like us, average dudes becoming important and powerful figures and doing it in such a cool way. Unless we are 6-day-a-week 300kg gymrats we really don't relate to the guys with pecs the size of the Death Star regardless of his situation.

Luke is a bad ass Jedi and Han is the cool dude who does loads of legendary stuff with no extra power at all, it comes down to the superman vs batman scenario, one is way more powerful, while the other does incredible things without any powers, one is kind of awkward and geeky but we would die to be him, while one is exactly the kind of person we would love to be.

Over all, nothing beats a Jedi who brings down the entire empire and sith regime by having lots of power but not using it, by knowing not to fight, Luke owned the empire, owned the emperor, and even owned every member of the extinct Jedi order. That's pretty damn cool. Han is pretty bad ass too, but come on, he's no Luke Skywalker!

AshiusX and Sarge like this.