main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Luke or Leia: who has stronger force capabilities?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by zionhyome, Jul 11, 2014.

1. zionhyome

zionhyome Jedi Youngling

Jul 11, 2014
    Sorry If this Has Been Asked Before, But I Couldn't Find Anything On It.
    I've Always Believed that Leia Has a Stronger Connection To The Force Than Luke. The Reason Being That She Was Never Trained to Use The Force, and Yet, She Is Able To Do Some Things That, To Me At Least, Seem Like obvious Force abilities. She Is Able, Not Only To tell That Luke Is Still Alive, But she knows Exactly Where To Find him. She Also Tells Luke That She Was Able To Tell That They Were Siblings Since They Met. I also Doubt That She Would Be Able To So Easily get The Upper Hand On Jabba without some Kind Of Force Power. Later On, At The End Of Jedi, she is Able To Sense That Luke Is Okay.
    Admittedly, I Have Very Little Knowledge Of The Expanded Universe, So If This Has Been Addressed There, I'm Sorry for Wasting Your Time.
    (Sorry For The weird Capitalization. My Phone Keeps Doing It, And Every Time I Erase It And rewrite It, It Does It Again.)

Yanksfan likes this.
  2. The Force Hammer

The Force Hammer Jedi Youngling

Jul 7, 2014
    I think it is somewhat impossible to say for certain if one has a better connection with the force. Luke has been trained which gives him better access to the power of the force. You say leia knew that Luke was her brother but that doesn't actually mean a lot, theres a big difference between subconsciously knowing and consciously knowing. Luke, to a degree, knew that Vader was his father but he had to "search his feelings" to find the truth. as to the Jabba point, Jabba isn't exactly a great warrior and with everyone else fleeing and trying to fight luke, it's not inconceivable that leia without the force could get him. This is not to say that Leia is necessarily weaker than Luke or even that she is not stronger, just that luke has training and leia does not. They very well could be equally powerful in the force.

Visitant likes this.
  3. Visitant

Visitant Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 20, 2014
    I, too, think it's impossible to say which one is stronger with the Force. You argue that Leia must be stronger because she's able to use the Force to an extent, even though she has never been trained. But it could very well be that Luke had also subconsciously used the Force before he was trained, for example in his piloting—We don't know.

You may be right about Leia and Jabba, though—In the novelization of RotJ, she seems to utilize the Force in killing him.

The Force Hammer likes this.
  4. The Force Hammer

Jul 7, 2014

He used to bull's-eye those womp rats in his T-16 back home.

Iron_lord and Visitant like this.
  5. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The lines in question:

With a strength beyond her own strength, she pulled. He bucked with his huge torso, nearly breaking her fingers, nearly yanking her arms from their sockets. He could get no leverage, his bulk was too unwieldy. But his sheer mass was almost enough to break any mere physical restraint.

Yet Leia's hold was not merely physical. She closed her eyes, closed out the pain in her hands, focused all her life force - and all it was able to channel - into squeezing the breath from the horrid creature.

MOC Yak Face and Visitant like this.
  6. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    In the films themselves there's little I can think of to suggest one is stronger than the other. Luke seems to pick things up from Obiwan fairly quickly, but there are a few hints that Leia is receptive also. Her mysterious ability to recall memories of her mother in ROTJ for one...

Iron_lord likes this.
  7. The Force Hammer

Jul 7, 2014
    Im not sure how this website got these numbers but heres a list of midichlorian counts (which don't translate into exact force power but are predictive). There numbers suggest that luke and leia are equal.

8. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Those numbers are completely made up and include characters that never even existed in Star Wars.

9. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Correct. Lucas addressed this.

"At the center of the movie is a lot of exposition, it's a lot of explaining what has happened, and why things are the way they are. In this particular case, there is a whole issue of Luke's sister, and you know, the fact that they were twins. Which is an element that has to be revealed, which comes in later, in terms of who is the 'other' that was talked about in Empire Strikes Back. And how could that person become as powerful as Luke? Well obviously if they were twins, then if she were trained, then, she has the same abilities as Luke has. That becomes an important issue, especially in terms of resolving all the love triangles."

--George Lucas, ROTJ DVD Commentary.

VanishingReality and Iron_lord like this.
  10. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    Leia, Luke, and Anakin all have the same potential.

11. Visitant

Jun 20, 2014
    I've heard people say several times on these forums that Luke has the same potential as Anakin (and obviously Leia would too if her potential is the same as Luke's), so I'm assuming GL said so at some point, but I've never seen the exact quote myself. So if you (or some GL quote-savvy person) could dig up the quote for me, I'd appreciate it. :)

12. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000
    I know it's supposed to be a given that Luke is at least as strong as Anakin, but when you think about it, he really shouldn't be. Anakin was half "Force baby", Luke/Leia would've been 1/4 Force baby, while their potential kids would be 1/8 Force baby…and well, I'll just stop there before the math gets too hard, but you get the idea. ;) You would think it would get watered down a bit as the generations went on. Especially when you're throwing non-Force-sensitivre people into the gene pool (Sorry, Padme. Sorry, Han).

And yeah, I never originally thought of the Force in that way. But you know, you throw in the midichlorians, and suddenly you're forcing me (heh heh, no pun intended) to look at this biologically.

*shrug* But whatever. I like the idea of Luke and Leia being really, really strong i the Force.

I even like the idea of Leia actually being *stronger* than Luke. Maybe I root of the underdog (no jabs at my username, please), but I've said this before and I'll say it again: I kinda like the idea of the overlooked "other" from the OT, actually being the *real* Force prodigy. :)

MOC Yak Face likes this.
  13. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011

Simple answer: that's just the way midi-chlorians work. Why? It doesn't really matter.

Iron_lord likes this.
  14. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    Not only are those numbers completely made up but I imagine the sequel trilogy synopsis is as well.

15. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

"And when he finds out Luke is his son, his first impulse is to figure out a way of getting him to join him to kill the Emperor. That's what Siths do! He tries it with anybody he thinks might be more powerful, which is what the Emperor was looking for in the first place: somebody who would be more powerful than he was and could help him rule the universe. But Obi-Wan screwed that up by cutting off his arms and legs and burning him up. From then on, he wasn't as strong as the Emperor -- he was like Darth Maul or Count Dooku. He wasn't what he was supposed to become. But the son could become that."

--George Lucas, Rolling Stones Interview, 2005.

"Anakin, as Skywalker, as a human being, was going to be extremely powerful, but he ended up losing his arms and a leg and became partly a robot. So a lot of his ability to use the Force, a lot of his powers, are curbed at this point, because, as a living form, there’s not that much of him left. So his ability to be twice as good as the Emperor disappeared, and now he’s maybe 20 percent less than the Emperor. So that isn’t what the Emperor had in mind. He wanted this really super guy, but that got derailed by Obi-Wan. So he finds that, with Luke, he can get a more primo version if he can turn Luke to the dark side."

--George Lucas, quoted in J. Windolf, “Star Wars: The Last Battle,” Vanity Fair, 2005

Iron_lord likes this.
  16. Visitant

Jun 20, 2014
  17. Crystalia

Crystalia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 24, 2013
    I suspect (haven't clicked the link) that midi count list is most probably the one Supershadow posted during the ROTS spoiler days, in other words take it no heed.

And in answer to the question, I'd say they were equal in terms of force ability.

18. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Put it this way, only Anakin and Yoda have ever been confirmed with what their counts are. Well, Anakin has outright, but we know that it dwarfs Yoda in comparison. Anything else is Bantha Poodoo.

19. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    Don't the quotes above from Lucas only indicate that Luke could be more powerful than suited Vader? Maybe I'm missing something. I guess it depends on "what he was supposed to become" means. What Anakin was supposed to become, or Luke?

20. Visitant

Jun 20, 2014
    Hmm, I guess you could interpret it either way, especially with the second quote. But with the first quote, my guess is that most people would read it as "what Anakin was supposed to become." (Although that doesn't necessarily mean that's the correct interpretation.)

MOC Yak Face likes this.
  21. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Both of them could become strong. They probably had different things that they were powerful in.

Visitant likes this.
  22. Among the Clouds

Among the Clouds Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2001
    That's my interpretation, too. They don't outright say that Luke could be as powerful as Anakin was supposed to be. But they indicate that Luke could've been more than Vader is in the suit, and more powerful than Maul and Dooku.

MOC Yak Face likes this.
  23. lovelikewinter

lovelikewinter Jedi Knight star 4

May 28, 2014
    One of the things I did like was the EU giving Leia a special talent for Battle Meditation. It made sense with her as a leader and the obvious way she inspired the troops.

Iron_lord likes this.
  24. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    The way I've understood it was that Anakin had so much more potential that was untapped before his injuries, that afterwards, he was diminished. But Luke could reach that potential.

MOC Yak Face and Visitant like this.
  25. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I would say the potential is equal but the manifestations of ability vary and Luke was using the Force to reach out to her that suggests it's his ability that lead her to him.

Visitant likes this.