main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Luke Rocks in Thrawn trilogy

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Earthknight, Nov 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Earthknight

Earthknight Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 3, 2002
    I've just finished reading the Thrawn trilogy and I have to say that Timothy Zahn portrayed Luke perfectly. Also, Luke was awesome in that trilogy. I like it how calm and cool he handled the whole Mara situation. In those three books he sort of like Obi Wan. Did anyone else like Luke in the Thrawn trilogy?

2. Adm_voss_parck

Adm_voss_parck Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 2, 2002
    Yeah, he was cool. But IMO he's even better in HoT trilogy

3. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    Zahn is one of my favorite writers of Luke. Takes note of The Genghis howling in the distance. He got his dialogue and actions all just right.

4. Adm_voss_parck

Adm_voss_parck Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 2, 2002
  5. DarkWoman

DarkWoman Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 31, 2002
    IMO Luke was quite well-written in the trilogy and in the duology by Timothy Zahn. He's thoughtful and yet knows how to keep the balance between thought and action never being overtly thoughtful or too much of a Rambo. :p

I like the fact that Zahn captured the characters' essense from the movies and keeps them in character so well. :)

6. WormieSaber

WormieSaber Jedi Master star 5

Oct 22, 2000
    Zahn always puts Luke in perfect character. Luke never loses that human side about him, and he makes mistakes which is human.

7. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    What the hell is Genghis doing, going all lazy suddenly? We're praising Zhan and the clouds are shining! Shouldn't a thunderstorm be rolling in now?

8. SaberGiiett7

SaberGiiett7 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 2, 2002
    I liked as well how Luke was portrayed in the Thrawn Trilogy.

In alot of the scenes it really showed Luke trying his best to do whats right in even the littliest things such as when he was forced to settle the dispute between the Barabel and the Rodian.

Luke also showed combat wise what it means to be a Jedi Knight.He employed some skills we hav'ent even see in the films.My favorite was when he used his lightsaber to scale the wall to the bottom because it was too high.

<[-]> Saber

9. Devi

Devi Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 22, 2002
    Yeah. Some ppl. complain about Zahn inventing the ysalamiri, but they don't consider what he invented them for - namely, as a plot device for the sake of showing that Luke rocks even without the Force!! :) , thus proving everyone wrong who thinks that "well, Luke is strong in the Force, but without it, he would be just another whiny farmboy".

But no, Luke's strength doesn't just come from the Force, it comes from who he is. In TTT, Luke showed resourcefulness, compassion (even towards a certain redhead who wanted to kill him), and many other admirable qualities. So I can only agree - Luke in TTT rocks! :)

10. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Counterpoint Luke's work with Joruus C'Boath seems frankly a little weak. I mean basically Luke is accepting teaching from a man he knows is insane as well as harming people he dominates with sheer magical power.

That's not a good thing

11. darthjarjarbinks

darthjarjarbinks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 3, 2000
    charles
    I think Luke just didn't want to believe it at first. And he was in awe of Joruus. I mean, here's (what appears to be) a real knight of the old republic. Luke wanted to have faith in Joruus. I think it illustrates that he's still maturing as a Jedi and a person.

He'd just said his last goodbye to obi-wan. I think he felt a big peice of himself missing- the spirit who had been guiding him for almost a decade leaves him forever, and he wants to fill that space. Even if it means turning towards a fruitcake. But he never truly embraced C'Baoth as his new master. He always seemed to keep him at arms length, until finally he knew it had to end.

I also liked how Luke was portrayed here. A lot of people complain that Luke softened over the years and that this portrayal of him was somehow wrong. I just think that was part of Luke's development as a Jedi and as a person, but I have to admit that I liked him in TTT. Not too afraid of using the force to kill. Slicing and dicing noghri and stormies left right and centre.

12. GRANDADMIRALAXLROSE

GRANDADMIRALAXLROSE Jedi Knight star 7

May 8, 2002
    Of cource he rocked!

Axl.

13. DeJade_Vu

DeJade_Vu Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 29, 2002

LUKE DEFINITELY ROCKS!! The portrayl of Luke by Zahn is the best out of all the SW novels out there, minus the OT ones. Luke is just fabulous in these books! And he's so dang SMART! I mean, he used a little device in his artificial hand to escape from a locked storage room that had been fortified so as to prevent any possible escape...and when he slides down the wall, well, that was just :cool: . Such a clever idea on the part of Zahn...how does he come up with this stuff? Not to mention when Luke destroys all those ambushing Imperials in HTTE...

"One man..."
    "...and without the force, too."

Luke's the man. That's all I can say.

14. Wrath_of_Dooku

Wrath_of_Dooku Jedi Youngling

Nov 18, 2002
    Luke seems to be a tough character to write and Zahn did a great job with him.

15. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    Luke was weaker in the Thrawn Trilogy than he was at the end of RoTJ.

16. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Weaker? No, just wiser. He was not as reckless and planned things out more.

Though his performance against the clone Luuke was less then stellar, one must realize that C'boath is a master of mind control.

17. J_K_DART

J_K_DART Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    I personally thought Zahn's portrayal of Luke in TTT was one of the best I've come across, I must admit!

18. Guinastasia

Guinastasia Force Ghost star 6

Jun 9, 2002
    Plus the whole Luke and Mara in the forest is just perfect forshadowing.

Devi-I never thought of it that way-about Luke and the ysalamir. That's a good point-Luke isn't a Jedi because he can use the Force. Well, partly that. But the Force is only a small part of how hard he kicks arse.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.