main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Luke?s theme in the prequels

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by CopernicusDent, Sep 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CopernicusDent

CopernicusDent Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 4, 2001
    Should the main Star Wars theme have had a bit of a facelift in the prequels? Maybe something similar to one of the Main Title outtakes the special edition soundtrack? It seems like nowadays it?s the track that?s always skipped. Especially when in Episode II it?s the very same-recorded music.

2. Well_Of_Souls

Well_Of_Souls Jedi Master star 5

Aug 26, 2001
    I personally hope they record a new version of the Main Title for Ep III. I always loved how in the OT scores, each recording of the Main Title had slight variations from the others to make each unique in an, albeit small, way.

Also, I would like to hear more of Luke's theme within the score itself, considering we're going to be only one chapter away from ANH.

3. CopernicusDent

Dec 4, 2001
    This is true.

The next question would be "was there a main title for Episode II recorded for Attack of the Clones to begin with"? Of course, not using a newly recorded piece makes the same amount of sense as not using the original end titles in Clones.

4. TenorAprentice

TenorAprentice Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2002
    I actually would not like to hear Luke's theme in anything except for the Title. Would it make sense, if it is his theme, to hear it before we actually see him? Otherwise, the theme just becomes another heroic action theme, and it is not significant of him coming into his role as hero to the galaxy.

5. bright sith

bright sith Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 27, 1999
    Eh, I'm really torn about this. On the one hand, I would like to have the theme explode in ANH, which uses it to some absolutely great variations. But then I miss it. Why? It's such a great theme, but also because it's been used in the prequels. So is it solely Luke's or not? Looking at the use of it--no. What is it doing at the main title when this trilogy, or whole saga, is supposed to be about Anakin?

I often wonder what the prequels would be like musically if Williams has composed an entire new main titles theme. It could have served as Anakin's theme, and this situation wouldn't in question.

6. CopernicusDent

Dec 4, 2001
    Well, that?s the whole thing, the Star Wars theme is Luke?s theme as well. What can you do?

I?d keep a few small quotes of Luke?s theme in it. Musically, the saga doesn?t quite make sense because they?ve (Lucas or Williams) has already dropped the empire motif from A New Hope--unless they put it in Episode III.

7. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    I don't think of it as Luke's theme. That's what it was called when Star Wars was the only film. Now that things have expanded to include an entire saga, the thrust of some of the themes have changed. What was once called Luke's theme is now the main theme. It covers many things having nothing to do with Luke in ESB, ROTJ and now in the prequels as well. The Force theme was once called Ben's theme. Again when things moved beyond one film, this theme became the one that best summed up the Force musically, so now it is used in many situations having nothing to do with Ben Kenobi.

In a way I think characters as critical and major as Anakin and Luke cannot be summed up in one theme. Each character has several themes used at various times:

Anakin: Anakin's theme, Force theme, Vader's theme
    Luke: Main theme, Force theme, Luke and Leia

I like it better this way, as it's more musically diverse and more emotionally fitting.

8. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    JW has said that the Imperial March will be included in the final edition of ANH. Yippie :D

9. Tho Yor

Tho Yor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2001
    I agree with strilo.

10. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I do like the idea of the IM being in ANH. We do have a thread about that subject, and recording/re-recording the scores for the OT, if anyone is interested... quite the heated debate :)

Check it out!

11. CopernicusDent

Dec 4, 2001
    "It covers many things having nothing to do with Luke in ESB, ROTJ..."

Wait, what?

The main title theme goes over many of Luke?s encounters in Empire and Jedi.

See: The cave
    See also: His final conversation with Yoda.

12. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Yes it does. But it also scores many scenes that have nothing to do with Luke in ESB and ROTJ. It's not Luke's theme. It's bigger than just Luke.

13. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    It is mainly Luke´s theme. He is the big hero of the saga and thus gets the big theme!

14. Mcily_Nochi

Mcily_Nochi Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 23, 2001
    I see it as more of the Skywalker theme. The entire saga is about the Skywalkers, and Anakin's fall and how his son redeems him. It is appropriate to use that theme occasionally with Anakin, though wehn he falls to the dark side that theme is a no no. :)

15. bright sith

bright sith Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 27, 1999
    I would tend to agree that Luke's theme in the OT is used more than just for Luke, but the prequel use, especially in AOTC, signals to me that the theme is different in the PT. The only use of the theme in AOTC, played twice consecutively during the final battle, is at a time where none of our heroes are seen. Just how does it fit in the PT?

16. CopernicusDent

Dec 4, 2001
    "I would tend to agree that Luke's theme in the OT is used more than just for Luke"

When?

"The only use of the theme in AOTC, played twice consecutively during the final battle, is at a time where none of our heroes are seen. Just how does it fit in the PT?"

Well, that was tracked on music from Menace, which, was used in different context, but used similarly to the same effect.

I don?t know who?s decision it was to leave out newly recorded main title music in Episode II, but having the tracked on piece during the Battle of Geonosis was a bit obvious, where the little hints in Menace were exhilarating.

17. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    The lack of the main star wars fanfare in aotc surprised me. I'm sure Williams had scored a new variation of it somewhere in the unedited score.

According to statistics, we still have 45 minutes of AOTC music we haven't heard. Scary eh?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.