main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Luke should have used Vader's saber

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Siths_Revenge, Jan 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Siths_Revenge

Siths_Revenge Jedi Youngling star 7

Jul 27, 2004
    During the last Luke and Vader saber fight in front of the Emperor, it would have been chilling to see Luke use his father's saber and use that to cut his father's hand off. Say that Luke lost his green saber during the battle, and picked up his father's red saber and had to use it.

2. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    I could be terribly mistaken but I believe Vader's saber fell down that shaft along with his hand.

It is so crucial to the story's arc that Vader kill Palpatine, Luke has to appear helpless for that to happen.

-Seldon

3. Siths_Revenge

Siths_Revenge Jedi Youngling star 7

Jul 27, 2004
    ^I know that part. I'm just saying that it would have been interesting if Luke had somehow had gotten a hold of Vader's saber and used it instead of his green saber during the scene?

4. StarSmuggler

StarSmuggler Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 26, 2004
    I think that Luke acutally using the Vader's saber would have been symbolic of Luke taking his father's place. Cuting off Vader's hand is one thing, but actually using the weapon of evil is another. Luke was never taken over to the Dark Side, and to me, taking up Vader;s lightsaber would have communicated that, which would have been a miscommunication to the audience.

5. Mace Windy

Mace Windy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 3, 1999
    Remember, Luke did not want to fight. I do not believe that Luke would have attacked his father had his father become unarmed. Nor do I believe that Vader would have provoked his son into fighting had he previously lost his lightsaber.

:cool: Mace Windy,
    too windy for spoilers!

6. RedeemedJedi

RedeemedJedi Jedi Youngling

Jan 6, 2005
    I agree that Luke using his father's saber would have been symbolic of him taking Vader's place. I know that Luke never would have attacked Vader if Vader had lost his saber. Luke was in tune with the Light Side of the Force and would not have done anything that might have led him ever closer to travelling the dark road that his father took.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.