main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Luke Skywalker and...hot cocoa? :-)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Chaotic_Serenity, Oct 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chaotic_Serenity

Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    All this serious conversation around here gets to me. Star Wars' whole appeal is shiny explosions and increasingly Freudian phallic symbols, so I have a semi-serious question to ask all of you to help dumb this fandom down to the level it should be. ;)

All right, this is something I keep noticing in stories and bothers me because I have no idea where it comes from. Namely, almost any time I read a fanfic where Luke is chilling in a bar or something, Luke is drinking hot chocolate. This makes me raise an eyebrow because I can't remember it having any basis in canon.

So, is there some sort of in-joke the authors of the EU have that gave him this character trait, or is it a fanfic only thing?

I can understand the boy's possibly aversion to alchohol after that whole embarassing incident involving Vodka, a squeegie, and a chandalier when he was fifteen, but what's so bad about coffee that a Jedi master must ignore it's calling? :D

2. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001
    Yes, Luke has some hot chocolate in the first book in the Thrawn Trilogy. He gets some from Lando IIRC.

3. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    Well, this book was one of the first Star Wars books, and there seems to be more in the way of earth things in the earlier books...

4. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    There are a lot of books where Luke has hot chocolate.

Most notably at the start of Heir to the Empire and at the end of Vision of the Future.

5. HanSolOKniser3

HanSolOKniser3 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 10, 2003
    I think that he also has some hot chocolate during the Union comic book series.

Basically, along with blue milk, it's his drink of choice.

[face_peace]
    :D
    [face_monkey]

6. Vong_Killer

Vong_Killer Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 22, 2001
    definatly s a Zahn thing, to have Luke drinking hot chocolate. Heir to the Empire, Vision of the Future, and Union are the only instances I can think of.

7. Chaotic_Serenity

Oct 10, 2004
    Hah, I thought so. :) Thanks guys. Apparently, it's in the one book trilogy I haven't read yet.

Wait, did I just admit to never reading Zahn in this forum? *runs for her life*

8. JediRowan

JediRowan Jedi Youngling

Jun 19, 2004
    Basically, along with blue milk, it's his drink of choice.

So, I wonder, does he make the hot chocolate with the blue milk? Wouldn't that make it a funny color?

9. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    Another thing about Luke and drinking... Remember in ANH, when Luke, feeling tough now that Ben has taken care of Ponda Bada, tugs the tough-looking bartender on the sleeve, points to a grim looking alien at the bar and says "I'll have one of those"? Turns out he was ordering some real high-class stuff, the single most expensive drink on all of Tatooine...

Water. A cup of water, according to the new Ryder Whindham novelization. Real tough, farm boy, real tough. ;)

TC

10. Chaotic_Serenity

Oct 10, 2004
    Well, actually, on a planet like Tatooine, water may be a big thing to order. :) Different cultures and all. Ever seen the movie or read the book Dune? Water's a more treasured resource than even the spice that keeps their planet's economy alive.

Though, hee, that is cute. :) Such a kid. Hamil must have had a ball with that role.

11. Senator_Cilghal

Senator_Cilghal Jedi Master star 5

Jul 19, 2003
    the preview of the next Empire issue captures Luke's childlike nature. As one of the pilots (Zev Senesca?) comments, "Where does he get the energy?"

12. Chaotic_Serenity

Oct 10, 2004
    :) I don't think you need a comic to prove that. One of the charms of Luke's character has been his boyishness, both in physical appeal and general nature. After all, it was a son's unconditional love for his father, unshaken by the cynicism of adulthood but tempered by a growing maturity, that helped Vader turn back.

13. QuentinGeorge

QuentinGeorge Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 12, 2003
    Meanwhile Kenobi is cruising the nightspots and chugging down the liquor like nobody's business. And if anyone interrupts the binge - wham! Off with the arm.

Whatta man!

;)

14. academygrad88

academygrad88 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 6, 2004
    How do we know Luke's hot cocoa is non-alcoholic? He could be drinking Hot Scotch Cocoa with a pinch of Spice for all we know.

AG88
    [face_peace]

15. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    I bet he turned to the dark side in Dark Empire because the Emperor refused to give him hot chocolate to drink and he lost control :p

16. World_Devastator

World_Devastator Jedi Youngling

Oct 14, 2004
    I bet he turned to the dark side in Dark Empire because the Emperor refused to give him hot chocolate to drink and he lost control

Face the truth: Luke turned Dark in DE because Palpy showed him those ugly Naboo herd animals that produce the milk for hot chocolate. You wouldn't stay sane after discovering that, would you?

17. Chaotic_Serenity

Oct 10, 2004
    This, from the guy who drinks blue milk? I thought Skywalker was made of stronger stuff... :D

And, actually, I always pictured a mid-twenties Anakin to be more of the bar hopper, dragging his poor, hapless Jedi master along for the mischief.

18. WedgeAntilles1

WedgeAntilles1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 16, 2002
    I think luke had some hot chocolate in I Jedi and Rebel Dream.

19. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    >Well, actually, on a planet like Tatooine, water may be a big thing to order.<

Well, yes, that's absolutely true. In fact, Greedo does the same thing, only more obnoxiously, in TFTMEC, making a big deal about it, and everything.

TC

20. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    All brooding and no hot chocolate make Luke... something something.

I'd have to wonder though if it was expensive to get on Tatooine. It doesn't seem to be a place designed with the cocoa bean in mind.

21. darth_paul

darth_paul Jedi Master star 5

Apr 24, 2000
    I wonder whether having Luke drink water was inspired primarily by its being a kids' novelization, or whether it was a carefully thought-out decision?

Is it possible that pure water has some sort of nice effect (intoxicating, for instance) on the system of someone who is not particularly accustomed to getting it in its pure form?

-Paul

22. Chaotic_Serenity

Oct 10, 2004
    It's quite possible, given what we see from Earth water supplies alone. For example, I can't go down and drink water from certain parts of Mexico because of the bacteria in it. But on the flip side, I've also heard cases of individuals from places like, say, the poorer districts of India having adverse reactions to the water we provide here. (In case you don't realize, our water isn't pure either. :) They add quite a few chemicals, stuff to clean, and things like fluoride for healthy teeth. In a place like Tatooine, I can't imagine it doesn't go through similar processes given how much it takes to unearth it.)

Actually, I think it's quite likely Luke's body is used to a near state of dehydration, hence all that running around we see in ESB without a water bottle. ;)

23. Jort

Jort Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 2, 2004
    I always thought that Snivvian in the ANH cantina ordered a hot chocolate. Don't ask why. :p

24. Tahiri-Solo

Tahiri-Solo Jedi Master star 4

Nov 21, 2001
    what about the drink he has a taste of in truce at bakura, namana nectar was it? induces a slight sensation of pleasure? bet that made him rethink hot coaco for a second.

25. World_Devastator

World_Devastator Jedi Youngling

Oct 14, 2004
    what about the drink he has a taste of in truce at bakura, namana nectar was it? induces a slight sensation of pleasure? bet that made him rethink hot coaco for a second.

You never know what extra ingredients farmboy puts in his cocoa... What does glitterstim taste like, for example? [face_mischief]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.