main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Luke Skywalker Costumes

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Phayze, Jul 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phayze

Phayze Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 23, 2004
    Hey kids. I've been doing some research (or at least trying to . . .) into Luke's costumes and
    browsing the index thread showed a shocking lack of love
    for our patricidal sister-kisser (not one link!). Personally, I'm more of an Old Ben Kenobi fan, but being 20-something and blonde, it's a lot easier to dress as Luke.

The ANH karate gi dealie is pretty basic, so there's probably not a lot of interest in gathering info for that. I seem to recall a short lived post about his ceremony jacket, as well, but I can't seem to find the thread.

I think the ESB jacket is similar enough to the Falcon Jacket that all you'd need to change is the front pockets, and add some darts at the waistline for a better fit.

Not sure where I found this, but it's a pretty good look at the jacket:

[image=http://photobucket.com/albums/v295/reverendz3n/silliness/?action=view&current=DagobaJacket.jpg]

I know that some talk of Luke's ROTJ costume came up in this thread and I've heard that the jumpsuit he wore in RotJ can be made with a few small modifications to this pattern, but that's pretty much the most info I've seen. Obi are simple, but what about the vest he wore? Just a basic jedi tunic with no sleeves, maybe?

So, anyway, is there anyone else out there who's interested in making/has already made any of Luke's costumes? How about showing off some pics, or sharing findings?

Pasty blonde guys can be heroes, too, darn it! :p

2. ThePariah

ThePariah Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 24, 2003
    *takes a moment to ROTF'nLMAO* [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

Huzzah! We are not alone! :D And here I thought I was going to have to convert more ladies to the cross-dressing side just to get our little Skywalker underdog some recognition. The shame. [face_laugh]

Since I'm really short and skinny enough to disappear if I turn sideways, I threw together the Bespin outfit using the old Fan Club jacket in a child's size and modified young boys' cargo pants. :p My boots look quite crappy, but at least I can say I made those myself. [face_blush] I'm tempted to work on the Mark III version of those the next time I'm bored and have free time. (I've seen one place online that will do them perfectly for you, but *cough* they're not cheap. [face_shhh] :eek: ) You can find some silly photos of me with my sister FF here:

http://db516.com/images/ROTS%20Opening/100_2574.JPG
    http://db516.com/images/ROTS%20Opening/100_2572.JPG

I'm actually doing the black ROTJ duds (or at least trying to, if I can find out what black hole my fabric vanished into [face_frustrated] ) and was researching the vest--I could be wrong, but judging by all the photos I've seen it doesn't appear to have any seams on the shoulders or back. Which means the only other way it could be connected is by seams under the armholes on each side. It's not quite like a prequel Jedi tunic, because it doesn't cross as much in the front. All I know is that it appears to be one entirely solid piece that's only split under the arms and joined there. If anyone thinks otherwise, feel free to give your $.02, since I've found that draping this pattern has been a pain. (Of course, I have no experience sewing or draping, so that could be it. :p ) And naturally, if you don't give a hoot about 110% screen accuracy, you could just not care and make the vest however you want, as long as it looks the same.

As for the front flap of the tunic--a friend of mine came up with an ingenious idea. Most people do snaps, velcro, or hook-and-eye to secure it and take it down, but if you notice the real costume had no such visible thing. Maybe they did two separate suits, but for practicality (duh) there's another option for us. While at C3 we found out that Padme's sleeveless brown costume had the collar attached by magnets, of all things. o_O So my friend figured, "Why not use a pair of magnets, one inside the flap and the other in the shirt, to hold it?" That way there's no thread or doohicky to see. Who knows, maybe LFL used magnets for it back in 1982. You'd need really small, lightweight magnets so you wouldn't see a big lump under the fabric, but I found some online, and hobby stores might carry some.

Ok, I think I've left enough of a long-winded reply. 8-} Oh, and just in case you change your mind about the farmboy getup, it only cost me $24 for a small boonie hat and red baron goggles. They came in really handy for a nature vacation in Maine. [face_laugh]

3. JedHead1

JedHead1 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 20, 1999
    My first costume was Luke ROTJ, and I had no patterns whatsoever. I just used photo references from books and stills from the VHS and went from there. Now, I've gotten many compliments on it! If you're going to Comic-Con, I'll wear it Thursday and maybe Sunday. My brother does the Luke ANH farm costume, and his is very good as well. If you'd like some tips, PM me or check the Rebel Legion forums under "JEDI".

4. ThePariah

Jan 24, 2003
    Yeah, I've seen your ROTJ, it's great. :D And your bro's farmboy duds are awesome! I kept gawking at them at C3! :eek: [face_laugh]

I didn't use the Green Pepper or Civil War patterns either, I recycled a basic tunic shirt pattern I used for my Jedi and just took out the curvy seams and shrunk the sleeves. (My Jedi had more of a blouse shirt than a real tunic. :p ) If it looks the same, whatever works, dude. 8-}

I really recommend raw silk for the vest--the real thing looked really textured like wool, but we all know how hot that gets. Raw silk is lightweight and breathable, and with some washings or abrasive treatment you can get it to pill and texturize well too. It's not very expensive either, if you know where to buy it, like Thai Silks. A nice cotton or light wool gabardine would be good for the tunic and pants, just thick and stiff enough to hold its shape.

5. Phayze

Nov 23, 2004
    haha! Hurray for alternative-lifestyle Skywalkers! ;)

[quote-thePariah]"Why not use a pair of magnets, one inside the flap and the other in the shirt, to hold it?" [/quote]

You know, I had that same thought! I couldn't think of anyway to hide a snap or a hook/eye, so magnets are the only thing I could think of. It's possible that they just removed whatever closure they were using before the filmed the scenes with the flap down, but I figure if I'm going to make this thing and wear it for long stretches on cons, then I want to be able to field-modify the look if I get hot, so I'm definitely going to experiment with the magnets.

Sadly, no. I won't be making it out to any cons this year, but if you have any pics I'd love to see them!

[thePariah also]I really recommend raw silk for the vest--the real thing looked really textured like wool, but we all know how hot that gets. [/quote]

I picked up some nicely textured cotton for the vest over the weekend - not screen accurate, but I loved the texture of it. It'll probably wear a little heavy, but I'm not planning on premiering it (or evening finishing it, for that matter) before Halloween. I might make a lighter weight version out of the raw silk if I decide to wear it out in the summer.

--

Also, I've got the beginnings of a plan for the lightsaber, but since I don't have a metal lathe I'm going to have to make do with some hardware options. The only part I'm stuck on is the graphlex clamp; I'd love to use a real one, but I don't want to put $30 into it right now. What kind of saber options have you guys taken?

6. ThePariah

Jan 24, 2003
    A friend of mine actually used styrene sheet for a lot of parts on his saber. He made an Anakin ROTS saber and actually carved ALL the tiny little textured pyramids on the middle grip with a file! :eek: That stuff's really versatile. I think he then glued on a little formed styrene block in the shape of the Graflex clamp and hand-carved the circuit board too.

Can you tell he's a little hardcore? :p

7. Phayze

Nov 23, 2004
    as they say in japan: o_O!

That's a little more artistic that I intend to get. I got a lead in the lightsaber thread on a hardware graflex alternative at Project Graflex. Looks interesting . . .

8. lstevens

lstevens Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 31, 2005
    I want to make the black costume that Luke wore in ROTJ but I have no idea where to start ? I can't sew worth a crap So if anyone has any suggestions it would be helpful. I was even entertaining the idea of making something similar to Anakin's costume in ROTS or maybe a cross between Luke's and Anakin's from Jedi and Sith

Thoughts anyone

9. Phayze

Nov 23, 2004
    Well, if I were going to go for a "conceptual" version (read: cheap and easy) rather than a "replica" version, I'd probably start by looking for snug-fitting cover-alls, a wide black belt and a black karate gi (all of which you could probably find at a thift store, though you might have to dye some or all of pieces). You could cut the sleeves off the gi and use them to make the obi, add a key-ring hook to your belt and viola - instant Luke. ;)

Personally, though, I'd recommend spending some time getting to know your sewing machine. I haven't started working on my ROTJ costume yet (too busy with fanfilm and renfair costumes), but the Butte Jumpsuit pattern looks pretty simple - all you'd have to do is extend the zipper flap past your pectoral muscle. I'm using this pattern for the vest. I say start with the vest and work your way in - with a little practice I'm sure you'll do fine. :)

I have a small album of reference pics that I savaged from google's images search, so feel free to check those out.

I also have an album of ESB references.

DISCLAIMER: I have no idea where I found the ref pics in my albums, so if they belong to you and you want them removed, just PM me and I'll be happy to cooperate.

If you have any good pics, let me know!

EDIT: Linkage problems.

10. lstevens

Jul 31, 2005
    I went on ahead and ordered the pattern you suggested for the jumpsuit any thoughts on the type of fabric I should use

11. Phayze

Nov 23, 2004
    I'm planning on using gabardine, but I think a wool-blend suiting would probably work well, too.

12. lstevens

Jul 31, 2005
    Phayze,

Any idea how much of the garbadine I should buy and where is a good place to buy it from

13. Phayze

Nov 23, 2004
    http://www.denverfabrics.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/15000/15228.600.jpg (copy/paste. markups being evil)

that shows the back of pattern envelope, which will tell you how much fabric you'll need for your size (measurements are given in yards, btw).

As for a source, that depends on what's in your area. You'll have to check your yellow pages to find the local fabric stores. Joanne's and Hancock are two of the most common, but you might have something else in your town. Good luck!

EDIT: more linkage problems.

14. electrakitty

electrakitty Jedi Master star 2

Apr 27, 2005
    Nice reference shots! Personally I'm making mine two pieces, a shirt and pants, partially because I've yet to see conclusive evidence that it actually is a jumpsuit, but mainly because I think it would be more comfortable/convenient for the wearer to have two pieces, so that he can get out of it easily for potty time. I may Velcro the two pieces together so that he doesn't have to worry about it coming untucked. I used a drapy poly/rayon blend twill that I got at Hancock Fabrics, and for the closure on top of the flap, I used a slot car magnet (which I got at Hobby Town for like $2.99) which I broke into three pieces and sewed two into the flap and shoulder seam. This makes for an invisible closure and a little weight when you have the flap undone. Good luck, I'm finding this costume lots of fun!

15. Phayze

Nov 23, 2004
    My wife and I went around in circles for quite a while over the jumpsuit issue, and I feel very confident that it's one piece, mainly because of the way it moves during the fight scene.

If it is a separate shirt, then it would have to be tucked in because there's no sign of anything hanging down below the belt, but if that were the case I'd expect it to pull out some while fighting (expecially considering the wild swinging he does). Also, there would probably be some bunching under the pants (which are fit pretty closely) or some wrinkling above the waistband. Hardly conclusive, but good enough for me.

You make an excellent point about bathroom access, though . . . perhaps this is something that I should give more thought to. [face_thinking]

On an aside: I'm happy to see some life in this thread! I was worried that Pariah and I were the only ones who cared about poor Luke. ;)

EDIT: Glad you liked the reference albums, BTW. It represents FAR too much time spent with google's image search. ;)

16. lstevens

Jul 31, 2005
    Any thoughts on the boots as well as the belt that is used

17. Phayze

Nov 23, 2004
    The boots are the same german riding boots that almost everyone wears in SW. You can get some low-end riding boots from equestrian suppliers for about 25 bucks, I think.

For my belt I got a rectangular buckle and 2" wide belt blank from tandyleather.com. I'll have to clip the corner of the buckle to get the right shape, and dye the belt black. If anyone can find an octagonal buckle blank, I'd love to know where!

18. electrakitty

Apr 27, 2005
    The guy at Saberbelt.com still is ordering the octagonal buckles, but he wants $20 for them. I don't know if he's already done the cutting or what, but I decided I'm going to do it myself. Though later, since I'm making a vest to cover up the join. Have you seen the "Return of the Ewok" short? It shows Mark Hamill without a vest or belt on, and it does look much like a two-piece outfit. The other reason I think it's two pieces is that jumpsuits generally get a little "sloopy" 'round the booty area, if you catch my meaning. They're just generally not as fitted there, and his doesn't seem to do this. Oooh, and also, it looks like in your reference pictures that the shirt flap is stitched down and goes across the waist section, and the fly in the pants is most definately centered. Whatever, doesn't matter :) I'm thinking just fit the two pieces nicely, and put Velcro on the waistband before it all goes together. I'll add corresponding Velcro to the shirt after I get him in for his fitting. I must remember to get pictures of him in it. It's going to be so cute! I just must try hard to get him to hold still enough (he's 20 and a spazz).

19. lstevens

Jul 31, 2005
    Watched Return Of The Ewok last night laughed my head off. I couldn't tell the difference about Mark's costume to me it still looked like a jumpsuit

20. ThePariah

Jan 24, 2003
    ALL YOUR SEARCH ARE BELONG TO GOOGLE!!! [face_hypnotized] *Ewok bows*

Seriously, Google is teh r0x0rs. :p

And, um, after burning my eyeballs out trying to make out details on black fabric in fuzzy screencaps, I couldn't find any shoulder or back seams on the ROTJ vest. So I'm guessing it was sewn together with seams under the armholes, which means it's one giant unbroken piece of fabric except for there. No wonder it was proving such a pain in the butt to drape it. [face_plain]

21. Phayze

Nov 23, 2004
    Yeah, I noticed that too. I had started to wonder if the flap was actually made more like a bib-type western shirt, but it doesn't look that way around collar. I just wish the lighting in the Throne Room scene weren't so friggin' dark!!

I agree, though, that it doesn't matter. As long as the final product looks good, who cares if it's one piece or two, right?

Never seen "Return of the Ewok", but I think perhaps I should. Sounds . . . interesting. ;)

Hahaha! Kneel before your Google!

22. electrakitty

Apr 27, 2005
    I wish it weren't so dark too. . .can't see a thing!!

"Return of the Ewok" is so silly and pointless and just plain adorable! It's well worth seeing, if you've got Hyperspace, though I doubt it's worth getting Hyperspace for. I'd screencap from it, but I haven't a clue how!

23. lstevens

Jul 31, 2005
    Where is a good place to get the boots ?

24. The_Random_Menace

The_Random_Menace Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 3, 2005
    go to www.gprix.com

they have nice boots that look almost exactly like the luke rotj boots but only for 25-30 bux

http://gprix.com/fwbt.htm

25. ThePariah

Jan 24, 2003
    I had a pair of those, and they're just fine, but boy--you must be really tall for them not to bite into the backs of your knees, and they're kinda hard to bend your leg comfortably in them. :oops:

I doubt more economic costumers are willing to pay an extra $30, but a website called Western European sells real secondhand German jack boots from military surplus between $40-$60 depending on the type. I bought a men's small size to fit me, and they're great.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.