main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Luke Skywalker Costumes

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Phayze, Jul 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JedHead1

JedHead1 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 20, 1999
    Hey, Moriah. When are you planning on wearing your Luke ROTJ costume at ComicCon? I'll probably wear mine on Friday for the slave Leia group photo shoot. :p

2. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    Dear Lord. As I take a break from sewing said costume, the thought of Moriah posing with the Slave Leias is just... odd.:confused:

3. ThePariah

ThePariah Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 24, 2003
    :eek: [face_laugh] [face_laugh] :_| [face_sick] [face_laugh]

[Yoda]I agree.[/Yoda] :p

I'll probably wear it on Friday for the Rebel Legion breakfast and photo. But I think I'll pass on the Slave Leias. o_O

4. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    I finally finished the Luke ROTJ shirt I've been working on! (Well, it may still need fitting alterations, but aside from that it's done).

A few of you know this is for a female Luke. ;) Hence, I reluctantly had to deviate from the design of Luke's shirt in order to have it work for a female figure. Darts had to be added to the back, and princess seams were added below the bib in front to help taper the waist.

Otherwise, everything else is pretty screen accurate. The yoke, center back seam, side zipper, and top stitching is all there.

Base Pattern Used: McCall's 4381
    collar used: Butterick 3345
    Fabric: Cotton Twill subtituted for Wool Gabardine. Gray Kona cotton used for bib lining (this might be lighter in color than the original, but it's the best we could find).

[image=http://kay-dee.net/costumes/luke/shirt_front2.jpg] [image=http://kay-dee.net/costumes/luke/shirt_side.jpg] [image=http://kay-dee.net/costumes/luke/shirt_back.jpg]

I studied quite a few screen caps and photos of Luke, and I felt that the best way to have the bib hang open like the real costume was to design the layers of the bib more like Han Solo's shirt. It doesn't zip up underneath or button up. I only added 2 snaps inside to help keep it from shifting, but they may not even be needed.

Here the lower flap of the bib is pulled out to give you a clearer idea of my design:

[image=http://kay-dee.net/costumes/luke/shirt_flap.jpg]

Now to get a move on with the vest. I'd like to get it done by Friday, but maybe it will get wrapped up on the 5th of July.

- kay dee

5. ThePariah

Jan 24, 2003
    MEEP! :eek: :D

You are made of awesome. =D= :cool: [face_dancing] [face_love] :* [:D] [face_dancing]

*squeeeeeeeeees like a little schoolgirl*

6. BJWagner

BJWagner Jedi Youngling

Jan 10, 2006
    That's a very nice piece. Well done!

7. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Thanks BJWagner. Your Luke costume looks great as well! I won't be making the entire costume for this one though, so I'll only have the pieces to photograph. I will be excited and nervous to see all the pieces put together at Comic-Con!

- kay dee

8. BJWagner

BJWagner Jedi Youngling

Jan 10, 2006
    Well, please do us all a favour and post those pictures when you get them. I'm sure the completed costume will look amazing.

9. Jedi-Loreen

Jedi-Loreen Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 2, 2002
    Who is it for, kay-dee? Or is it a secret and I'll just have to wait to see it at Comic-Con? :confused:

Judging my Moriah's reaction, I wonder......[face_thinking]
    But maybe not.
    :p

10. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Your hunch is probably right ;) Let's just hope if any alterations are needed for fit we can get it done in time for comic-con. Otherwise, please be forgiving for its debut outing.

- Kay Dee

11. Jedi-Loreen

Dec 2, 2002
    I will look forward to seeing it there. :)

12. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    It looks stunning kay_dee! I will take lots of pics.

13. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    It came out great, kay_dee!

14. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Thanks Matt. And thanks for letting me take a closer look at your costume too. Although this isn't a copy of yours, it did help get the wheels turning when I was trying to figure out how to go about making this.

- kay dee

15. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    Glad I could help. :)

16. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    I finally finished the Luke ROTJ vest today. Phew!

Pattern Block Used: McCall's 8155
    and collar from Butterick 4401
    Modifications Made: My final pattern doesn't look like the McCall's pattern at all. This was only a rough starting point so I'd have something to drape with. The shape of the front opening is different, The arm cycles are deep V, the waist was tapered inward, a seam was added in the back at the waist to help with shaping and eliminate baggy bulk. Facings and lining were added as well.
    Fabric Used: I suspect the real costume is made of either wool or a really heavy silk (I lean toward wool). Niether was in budget for this project, so a heavy linen was used. (A weight for jackets or upholstery). The fabric was distressed with sanding blocks (Thanks to The Pariah for that suggestion), then washed several times in very hot water to fade the color (I even threw in a tennis shoe to try to get it distressed a little more).

Since the linen was still a little thin on its own, I added Kona cotton lining to add more body to the vest. I don't think the real costume is lined though (I think I can make out where the arm hole facing tacks on to the outer fabric in screen caps.) If I had to do it over I'd probably line with black muslin, as the kona cotton is a little stiffer than I'd prefer.

[image=http://kay-dee.net/costumes/luke/vest_front.jpg] [image=http://kay-dee.net/costumes/luke/vest_side.jpg] [image=http://kay-dee.net/costumes/luke/vest_back.jpg] [image=http://kay-dee.net/costumes/luke/vest_shoulder.jpg]

You may also noticed I added a seam to the scarf bit in the center back. Although I don't see evidence of this on the movie version, for the size and shape I was making this costume it was the only way to have the grain of the fabric line up properly in front on both sides of the tabards.

- kay dee

17. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    Can't wait to see it in person at CC, Kathy!

And you call yourself an "amateur". :p

18. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Thanks. I'm excited and nervous to see it on her at Comic-Con. I will be bringning pins, chalk, and thread just in case I feel the need to mark fitting adjustments at the end of the day while I finally have her live in person! LOL!

- kay dee

19. Jedi-Loreen

Dec 2, 2002
    Looks great, kay dee. I am also looking forward to seeing this costume in a couple weeks. :)

20. ThePariah

Jan 24, 2003
    Dude. :eek:

That looks absolutely terrific. =D=

21. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Since we sort of promised full ensemble phtoos - here's ThePariah as Luke at Comic-Con (posted with her permission)

[image=http://kay-dee.net/comic-con06/rebel-legion/images/IMG_4270.jpg]

Again, I only made the vest and shirt/tunic. Someone else did the pants and cloak.

I'm pretty happy with the vest. If I had to do it over, I'd have made it a little baggier in back. It's really a pretty minor difference in fit though.

You can't see from this photo, but I will be perfectly honest and say the shirt still has fit issues. :( I think the sleeves are too narrow, causing a wrinkling problem around the elbows. The arm cycles need some work too. I suspect I'll be cutting new sleeves and putting them on after Dragon*con. I may redo the collar as well while I'm at it. Thank goodness for extra fabric!

-kay dee

22. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    I still think it came out great, Kathy. But then again, you did have a great one to model it after. ;)

23. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Thanks Matt. It's a fun photo of you two together. Uh - If you are referring to the real costume at FIDM then yeah, it was cool to be able to look at that just before making the costume! It helped seeing yours too, but I think in the end I really got my bib deal worked out after looking at tons of screen caps I'd made (the bib was so covered up at FIDM and I didn't glean a ton of info about it). Same with some details on how the 'scarf' bit seems to attach.

I wanted to make one for my husband, but after being Han last Halloween he wants to do a different series/movie. I should have spent more time looking at that BSG uniform at comic-con. It looks like that's my next project.

- kay dee

24. MorgonKEN-BUR

MorgonKEN-BUR Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 23, 2005
    does anyone know info on making the bespin luke gear? Is there a pattern for the jacket and pants? I cant seem to find much of anything on this costume, and i would love to do it. Please HELP!

25. BurntTheMacaroni

BurntTheMacaroni Jedi Knight star 3

May 16, 2005
    I have yet to find a set pattern for the jacket, but i found one that will work. Unfortunatly the one i am using is a girl's pattern

But i did find this..for guys... needs alot of work though

McCalls M2233

not perfect but it's a start

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.