main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Luke Skywalker Costumes

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Phayze, Jul 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phayze

Phayze Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 23, 2004

Starfire - Thanks for posting the pattern pics! I'm getting quite a lovely stash of reference material for when I finally get to this costume. :D

Bil-Kenobi - Hahahah! Tatooine is like one big Disco Inferno! Love it.

Aikidodoc - Thanks for the PM - it reminded me to check this thread, which I haven't done in a long time, apparently. :D I'm sorry to hear that Motorcowboy didn't work out for you. I've heard they're pretty reputable, but they're way too expensive for me. They charge more for boots than I usually spend on a whole costume!! I would be curious to see the boots that you got, though, if you wouldn't mind posting the pics.

2. MandalorFett

MandalorFett Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 28, 2006
    Thanks Starfire! =D=

3. Ysrossko

Ysrossko Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 17, 2006
    Even though I am a guy would a pair of woman's cotton blend leggings work for the pants ont the ROTJ outfit? Also I am having a heck of a time trying to find a reasonably priced pair of boots. Either they are too short or too expensive. Anyone ever use PVC boots. The pictures look good on the internet, but my fear is that they will look really rubbery in RL.

4. JedHead1

JedHead1 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 20, 1999
    I've used leggings since I first had my costume made back in 1999. I chose to go that route because, to me, that's what they looked like in the shot where Luke jumps from the skiff to the side of Jabba's barge and climbs up it. I've also used rubber boots since then, even though I'm still on a quest to find the perfect pair of leather ones. ;)

[image=http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e385/JedHead1/Star%20Wars/IMG_3334.jpg]

[image=http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e385/JedHead1/Star%20Wars/IMG_3254.jpg]

(Photos courtesy of Britt Dietz)

5. Ysrossko

Oct 17, 2006
    You da the man. Thanks. BTW what boots are those?

6. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    On the sole, it says, "Winner" - Made In Israel. That's all I know of the brand. I actually own the women's boots, since I have thin calves. [face_blush]

7. Ysrossko

Oct 17, 2006
    Well I got a pair of womens leggings XL for 3.99 at Conway and I won a pair of East German Combat boots from Ebay for 40.50 shipped so once I get the tunic and vest completed I am good to go.

8. Darth_Ravenger

Darth_Ravenger Jedi Master star 1

Oct 29, 2002
    Anyone know of somebody who is currently making Bespin Luke costumes
    who do the top and pants in time for C4? Somebody bailed out on me that promised
    they would commission one for me. The boots and belt would be of big help too.
    If someone could help Id appreciate it a lot.

9. Matt-K

Matt-K Jedi Youngling

Jul 21, 2006
    I have couple question regarding Luke Jedi costumes. What's the correct materials for Luke Jedi fabric parts? Any accurate patterns on the net? Also, who makes the most accurate boots for it? I may get into Luke Jedi costuming after I've been done with Anakin Sith costuming, with super accuracy.

10. Phayze

Nov 23, 2004
    Well, a lot of those issues have been discussed already, so even though I know it's a bit daunting considering the length, I would really recommend reading through this whole thread and then asking more specific questions to help clarify any confusion.

Good luck! :)

11. Ysrossko

Oct 17, 2006
    What do you guys think of these boots for the ROTJ outfit?

http://www.englishridingsupply.com/cartdata/?content=categories&store=englishridingsupply&mode=list&category=20006&content=store&product=1030196348

12. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    Those look like mine (see above)! :)

13. Quick2

Quick2 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 14, 2006
    Hey Jedhead.. Have you contacted your brother about some tips for me concerning ANH tatooine boots. I am with Rebel Legion up here in Oregon and the Fan force.. Any help would be great... I don't have a big budget. and slipper socks are not an option ;) ..Thanks quick2

14. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    He's currently busy at work, but check back at the SFFF boards. He knows about your post, and said he'll post as soon as he can.

15. Quick2

Quick2 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 14, 2006
    thanks so much Jedhead...... Allan

16. AL_Patterson

AL_Patterson Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 18, 2007
    Wow, call me stupid but I just realized how close in appearance Anakin's Ep III clothes are to Luke's in Ep VI.

17. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    I was having another look at Luke's ROTJ cloak because a friend of mine had questions about it. I'd like to make a correction to an observation made at FIDM last year.

I believe JedHead or I stated that there was a seam in Luke's cloak at FIDM. Honestly, I was not overly concerned with his costume so when that 'seam' was pointed out. I was kind of like 'oh wow, yeah - that looks like a seam.'. Now that I've studied the cloak more closely, I don't think the 'seam' you see on the left side of this image is a seam at all. Notice, there is no such 'seam' on the right on this image. Thus, I have concluded the 'seam' is actually just the facing of the front edge of the cloak exposed. They flipped back the left side of the cloak when they dressed the mannequin. We are just seeing the 'hem' of the front edge. It kind of looks like they folded the front edge under twice to finish off the front edge. Probably sewed it with a a machine on the first folding, then blind hem stitched it to the outer part of the cloak on the second folding so that it would look flawless and smooth from the front.

I also brought a photo of Mark Hamill into photoshop, lightened it, and you do see the the velcro style closure tab. The texture of the fabric used appears the same as well. So I do think the cloak at FIDM is the one worn by Mark in the movie. Finally, any color difference you see between these cloaks is very easily attributed to the fact that Jabba's palace is so DARK! How can the camera begin to capture the true nature of the color in such dim lighting? I think the color we see in the lighting of FIDM is correct.

I just know that theories have been running around about the cloak at FIDM not being the one used in the movie. I really think it is authentic and one in the same.

- Kay Dee

18. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    OK, Luke's cloak has been nagging at my brain all day.

Cloak Seam

I take back what I said about a lack of seam on the cloak in my previous post. I checked out all my FIDM photos and I do see the seam on the right side as you face the mannequin. You can spot it in this side shot I took of Leia (for some reason I never uploaded it to my FIDM gallery).

I still believe this is the same cloak worn in the movie. The seam just can't be seen from the front because it is placed behind his shoulders on the back side of the cloak. I don't know if any really clear photos of Mark Hamill's back as he wears this cloak even exist, but I still feel that due to the texture of the fabric and the style of closure at the neck - this was a screen worn cloak on display at FIDM.

Just my 2 cents ;)

19. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    You can see the seam in the movie, when the camera is behind Luke as he speaks to Jabba.

20. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Cool - I only had caps from the front of him in the movie. So it is confirmed! We have a seam :)

21. Taurendur

Taurendur Jedi Youngling

Mar 18, 2007
    So, I fell in love with the ESB fatigues and have always wanted a pair, and now is the time. I don't understand why more people aren't out making this costume, as it can be used for everyday wear. I have ordered the Falcon pattern for the jacket and can see what alterations need to be made to be more screen accurate. I haven't been able to find a good pattern for the pants (how do I get them to go so high?) so I'll probably have to make up a pattern using other pants as a template. Has anyone else found a good pattern? And the boots are all kinds of crazy. It kind of looks like they sewed a tongue and a square piece of leather onto a felt sole. Does anyone have a better interpretation? I've seen Starfire's pattern and picture of the boots and they look a little too saggy.

And how does the jacket close? Zipper, magnets, buttons?

Any and all help would be appreciated.

22. starfire-phoenix

starfire-phoenix Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 2, 2004
    I just used a normal pants pattern with no pockets on the back or sides, so that I could adjust the height and fit around the hips and it was pretty easy to do. The hardest part was drafting the front pockets.

The sagging can be reduced by adjusting the fit around the front. I want to go back and make the boots a bit more fitted, by taking some suede out of the part where they meet at the front. I have also thought about putting some stiffer fabric on the inside to help it hold up as the suede is a bit soft. The pics we took of my boyfriend wearing them were taking after they had been worn half the day and they had started to creep down a bit. lol

23. Phayze

Nov 23, 2004
    There was some talk on the RPF a while back about using a pair of these moc boots as a base for those. Lose the fringed ciff and laces, then add some straps and you're pretty much there . . . well obviously not if you buy the pink ones. :p Note that those are the women's - they don't have much color choice in men's. The style isn't uncommon though, so you could probably find something similar if you looked around a bit.

I have a pair of these in black, and they're soooo comfortable! Almost as good as being barefoot. :D

24. Taurendur

Taurendur Jedi Youngling

Mar 18, 2007
    I too have a black pair and they are super comfy, but they don't come around far enough to meet in the front. Maybe its not the greatest way to enter Star Wars costuming, but I want to make this costume as film perfect as possible.

I remember looking through a Native American costuming catalog and seeing a boot making kit that came with leather. Perhaps I could try that and cut it differently.

Any thoughts as to how the jacket closes (hidden zipper, buttons, magnets?)

Recommendations on making the blaster?

Thoughts on the undershirt? That material looks pretty thick, or maybe it's just rolled under at the edges.

Last question for the day, where do I find biceps like his? I've been looking everywhere but can't seem to find any that stick.

25. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    I have a replica jacket and it has buttons. The screen-used one was like that too, I believe. There were two versions of the pants: one was normal when he had the shirt on, and one that was slightly higher, with suspenders, when he had his jacket and for the fighting scenes. You can see it in behind the scenes footage.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.