main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Luke Skywalker Costumes

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Phayze, Jul 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Taurendur

Taurendur Jedi Youngling

Mar 18, 2007
    Where'd you get a replica jacket?

Buttons are much easier (I still haven't figured out the zipper foot) so that's good.

2. han_solo2510

han_solo2510 Jedi Youngling

Jan 11, 2007
    looks awesome

3. JBRO13

JBRO13 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 29, 2003
    Anyone ever work on or know of someone who completed a ceremonial Luke costume (from the end of ANH)?

I have never really seen a great fan-costume of that.

4. JedHead1

JedHead1 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 20, 1999
    There's not too many reference pics for that. The trick is getting the jacket accurate. There was one guy who made them for a short time, and now he won't make them anymore. The shirt is basically a black version of Han's ESB shirt, and the blaster is the same as Leia's on the Tantive IV. There's a pic on the "Empire of Dreams" DVD (30 minutes in) of the costume without the jacket. Another close-up of the shirt is on an old cover of the SW Insider.

I'd like to tackle this costume myself someday, after I finish a couple others. ;)

5. Quick2

Quick2 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 14, 2006
    Well I bit the Bullet and I am having MotorCowboy do my Skywalker Tatooine Boots. I know it is a little much on Money...They cost 328..that is boots and shipping. I figured since I will be wearing this costume till My hair starts to fall out.. It will be an investment. The reason why I chose Motor cowboy is because nothing really looked right, and It got frustrating with nothing on net. I tell you I contacted shoe makers here local and they were going to charge much more than Motorcowboy. Plus Finding a Surround shoe with flat sole and and upper without laces. Does anyone know what material the wraps are made of??

I also have a Prequel Jedi for back up.....

I welcome anymore comments.

Allan

6. DarthPupmind

DarthPupmind Jedi Youngling

Sep 13, 2006
    Hi this is my first post here. This thread has been very helpful and I'd like to thank all the contributors. Here's my Bespin Luke costume. I made the jacket and pants myself. The boots came from Motorcowboy as they appear on the site. (I'm actually on the site on the page with the Bespin boots.) I lightened them up with some white leather dye, and gave them the sanding treatment. The dirt on the costume is charcoal and potting soil. The lightsaber is a Graflex replica with FFX sound and Luxeon. And yes its a wig.[face_mischief]

http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=5055696
    http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=5055698
    http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=5055699
    http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=5055700
    http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=5055701

7. Taurendur

Taurendur Jedi Youngling

Mar 18, 2007
    Wow, that costume looks amazing. What went into the making/buying? Specifically what patterns, fabrics, etc. Any insights or recommendations?

8. DarthPupmind

DarthPupmind Jedi Youngling

Sep 13, 2006
    Thanks, I bought the belt, but am unsure of the maker. The jacket is made from the Falcon jacket pattern, with some alterations(cuffs, pockets, and closure method). I have recieved many compliments on the boots from some pretty knowledgable people on this costume, so I'll recommend the Motorcowboy boots, if you're willing to spend about three hours "fixing" them.

9. aikidodoc

aikidodoc Jedi Youngling

Dec 28, 2006
    Hi,

I purchased a pair of Kenobi boots from Motorcowboy. I asked for leather samples, but he said to just go by the photos (sending samples would take too long, and nobody has ever questioned his coloring of leather as being like the official boots). I agreed (that's MY fault) and ordered from him last October - ordered in late July for Halloween, received them in November (!) The color was WAY off, the cut was so bad, a cobbler told me he could not fix them; they looked NOTHING like his webpage in color or design detail. I sent him photos of the boots pictured on his webpage, contrasting with photos taken of the boots he sent me. He agreed there were serious flaws. While the re-made boots arrived too late for Halloween (the reason he knew I ordered them) and though he refused to refund my money (even though HE was at fault), to his credit, he re-made a pair... which had the EXACT same flaws, though admittedly not quite as bad. At this point, the guy simply refused to return any contact from me (he resides in Thailand; business is mediated by his brother in the States). If I sound mad, I am, but still trying to be fair in my criticism. I would gladly post photos of the final boots he sent me, so people can make up their own minds... but I need someone to tell me how (exactly) to download photos (if it matters, I use Vista). I just feel, for nearly half a grand, a guy should produce a product that resembles what's shown on his website, and in a timely manner. Yup, I am pretty mad...

10. Quick2

Sep 14, 2006
    I am waiting for Luke Tatooine Boots from Motorcowboy... I hope they turn out good.... Order went in on April 1st or 2nd... They said it should take about a month... we will see.. Peace, Allan

11. aikidodoc

aikidodoc Jedi Youngling

Dec 28, 2006
    Hey Allen, Just curious - did the boots come in on time?? Did they meet decent standards? I don't want to blast this guy if I was the sole, one bad experience...

12. Quick2

Sep 14, 2006
    well ..its now May 11th and still no boots...I have an Event Parade June 3rd and 4th... I hope they come soon.. I don't know how long it takes to ship....I have called and not really a time frame answer...I will call again next week... I am concerned..

13. -Solari_Wielder-

-Solari_Wielder- Jedi Youngling

Feb 17, 2007
    Hey there :)

Calling all Lukes! Any of you going to Celebration IV? Are you going in a Luke costume? Anyone want to be my adopted brother for a day? Im 18 years old, a Princess Leia look-a-like and Im going as Princess Leia ANH (custom made exact reproduction costume) and Im looking for a Luke and Han to buddy up with for a while. You know, take some fun pics, hang out and have fun. Check out my profile for more info, but email me at AeonFlux713@aol.com to chat further! :)

Hope to cu all at CIV!

:) MTFBWY

-Solari

14. AnasianSkywalker

AnasianSkywalker Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 2, 2003
    E-mail sent Solari!

MTFBWY @ TTYL...[face_peace]

~Dale

15. Taurendur

Taurendur Jedi Youngling

Mar 18, 2007
    Current update on my ESB costume:

I went to C IV with my nearly finished jacket, after staying up until 5:30 in the morning, when my mind was mush.

I used the Dawn Anderson Falcon pattern, and am currently wishing that I did the Han Solo jacket (an exact replica, no?). My jacket currently has no cuffs, no upper pocket flaps, and no lining; but otherwise, all is good. It took me nearly 3 hours to get the pleat in the pockets with the tags to keep them closed. I still haven't thought of a method of closure, suggestions? I used a tan twill fabric and a polyester lining. I'm sad that the jacket has a yoke, but I didn't have it in me to try and completely redo the pattern. The Dawn Anderson pattern puts the pocket too far up, so I decided not to attach the upper flaps. Instead, I will move the pockets down. The arm pockets are kind of dumb according to the pattern because the openning for the pocket is not underneath the flap but behind it (making the flap useless). Very bizarre. I added 1" to the front jacket panels so that they would overlap. And what's with the sleeves being to big for the sleeve holes? Now my shoulders are all bunched up. Any solutions for that?

All kvetching aside, I loved how I looked in the jacket. I intend on using it as a real jacket and not just a costume. And finally, I had a great time at C IV wearing my jacket, getting recognition from the other Lukes.

16. Quick2

Sep 14, 2006
    May 30, 2007 ..Update...I just recieved my Luke Tatooine boots from MotorCowboy...They look very nice.. The Soles are a little high ...but it is fine... I have 2 events this weekend so I will wear them....Peace, Allan

17. kenbri-su

kenbri-su Jedi Youngling

Jun 17, 2007
    I think I was probably the thread and they stopped it because I was repeating other threads such as yours. I was thinking of dressing as look from the medal ceremony but for one I don't know how many people dress in that costume. I don't want to be the only one there that is in that costume. Also I was wondering where I could find the jacket. The rest is pretty simple to find I think. If you could let me know that would be great. thanks

18. kenbri-su

kenbri-su Jedi Youngling

Jun 17, 2007
    hey everyone,
    im thinking of doing the luke medal ceremony costume. does anybody have any ideas on how to construct the costume. whether it is makeing it or buying cheap clothing and altering it. please let me know

19. StoyBoy720

StoyBoy720 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 26, 2003
    Farmboy Boots

I don't like the MotorCowboy boots personally, and not because of the price tag. You see the reference photo right next to the product, and you can see the inaccuracies. Case in point, the strips on the ankles don't go all the way down, they just kind of stop. For that much money, no thank you.

My temporary solution for boots has been a pair of Ugg boots. They are tan, suede, and CHEAP (I got em on clearance for 15 bucks. I darkened the soles of the boots and sanded out the logo on the heel. One of these days I'll probably find some fabric in matching color to make the strips on the ankles.

The leggings are old British military puttees. They are canvas. They DO NOT match the boots exactly, but they are close. Though there are alternatives. For a long time I've used Ace Bandages as a temporary solution. Just wrap around the leg from ankle to knee and safety pin at the top.

Is it totally accurate, no, but it's good for the here and now until I get more time/money for a better solution.

Ceremonial Costume

That's actually why I was looking through this thread. There really hasn't been a lot of talk on it. Here's what I've found so far:

Jacket: The kicker of the whole costume. The same as the Snowspeeder Pilots in ESB, Ponda Baba in the Cantina, and also from Space: 1999 but obviously yellow and with some mods to it.

Pants: Seem to be the same as Han's from ESB/ROTJ, brown with the gold "bloodstripes."

Shirt: Double-breasted. Thanks JedHead for mentioning the similarity to Han's ESB shirt. Though I've noticed it's not identical to Han's ESB shirt, as Luke's has a typical "button down" pointed collar as opposed to a mandarin collar.

Belt: Black leather, I believe I read somewhere that it's 1 3/4" width with the silver oval buckle. Holster for blaster.

Blaster: The one Leia had on the Tantive IV, not a DL-44 (Han) blaster.

Saber: Oddly enough it's one of the few costumes where Luke doesn't wear his saber. I can't find any good screencaps that show the belt in any real detail (being hidden by the jacket) so I imagine you could get away with putting a saber hook on there. Personally I plan to do so when I make this costume.

Anybody else have any info on this costume? And since the shirt is based off of a Han shirt, and my knowledge of Han costuming being a bit lacking, is there a good pattern for that shirt?

20. Reaper63

Reaper63 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 17, 2002
    Hey man, talk to me about the belt, blaster and holster, I think I can help you there.

Jacket, I'm not sure about. And the shirt, Most Hans I know use a Chef's shirt pattern and mod it accordingly. an off the shelf pattern will be difficult.

21. StoyBoy720

StoyBoy720 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 26, 2003
    Hey Ed, thanks for the offer. :D

I'll likely need help with the holster and blaster eventually. If I'm not mistaken I can get the belt and buckle blank off of Tandy Leather. I'd just need to dye the belt, which I've never done before.

And your sister has graciously offered to help me with the jacket. Ain't she great? ;)

Thanks for the tip on the chef's shirt. I may have to look into that one.

22. Reaper63

Reaper63 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 17, 2002
    She is in deed great! Dying isn't that hard, just remember to seal it or you're brown pants will have black marks on it ;)

When she's done with your Jacket, I might have to get her to do one for me ;)

23. Woofer

Woofer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2001
    The shirt is the same as the RFT shirt btw. Just different colour.

24. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    Has anyone got a place to recommend for getting a "Luke-Like" Wig and the style and color that should be chosen? Not too expansive Sythetic Fibres kind nor too cheapo. ;)

I been wanting to do ROTJ Luke ever since I started costuming (8 years ago? :eek: ) and now with some extra cash, I thot of finally getting the Tunic done from Polyester Viscose Fabric and maybe lined with Pongee (or should I use Acetate Lining to give it even more body?).

25. SithGirl132

SithGirl132 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 6, 2005
    A couple of questions, after reading parts of this thread...
    I'm one of those crazy women not afraid to cross-dress, and I'm trying to put together a Luke ROTJ costume for a convention I'm going to. Any advice on the vest-ish thing, and the cloak? I have everything else. Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.