main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Luke Skywalker Costumes

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Phayze, Jul 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThePariah

ThePariah Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 24, 2003
    After seeing what happens to clothing of mine that sit out in my room too long, I'm really tempted to just use a costume as a dust rag to help along any distressing efforts. :p (I'm semi-kidding--I know anyone remotely allergic to dust would die from this.)

Since actually rolling around in the yard or a park might not be such a good idea if pets or other animals regularly use it as a toilet ( [face_sick] ) clean potting soil would be a safer alternative for rubbing into fabric. I've also heard you can "paint" stains on with watered down fabric paints in a spray bottle applied in strategic areas like the collar, underarms, and joints. (I don't recommend acrylic paint, because it hardens into plastic and makes things very stiff.) Mild abrasives like very fine sandpaper can be used to loosen a few threads, create pills, and weaken the fabric or even make small holes. I also read you can distress pockets by weighing them down with small heavy objects like stones for periods of time. And yes, on light-colored fabric tea and coffee are viable stainers, but unless you're going to recreate sweat stains where they logically should be, be careful so that it doesn't look like you just spilled something on yourself. :p

EDIT: Thank you, darthdefyitall! :D I'll see if I can locate either of those through Google; I've never heard of them before.

I'm thinking of doing a tiny patch test with, of all things...matte medium. After using this stuff so much in my art classes, I've been surprised with how versatile and sturdy it is. We used it for everything from glue for paper collages to a clear, flexible sealant for canvases and boards before painting. It's basically a clear acrylic polymer. I'll try it on a cheap non-costume belt that has a suede backing to see if it can withstand a ton of flexing without cracking and peeling, or if it doesn't agree to the properties of leather.

2. darthdefyitall

darthdefyitall Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 15, 2005
    You can gte both from Tandy Leather. Just check their website. Edge Kote comes in a few colors: brown, black, maybe white? Gum Tragacanth comes in tubs of different sizes. Just get whatever you think you might use. I got the biggest and I still have almost 3/4 left a year later.

I've used acrylic medium on a few projects. I'd be worried about it's flexibility where it meets edges. It could start to peel or flake off with a lot of movement. If you do use it it would be a good idea to spray some Crystal Clear sealant over it to make sure it doesn't get tacky in humid situations and such.

3. Webo

Webo Jedi Youngling

Jul 23, 2005
    I have a (pretty good I must say) Luke ROTJ I had made (full costume with vest and all), I researched and hand picked my materials, ordered a custom cloak on-line, found great pair of boots on-line, and I designing the bib without a noticable latch system and made the belt myself by painting the belt & buying and polishing a tandy buckle, and adding one pouch.
    (much more to tell)

I am waiting to move into to my new place so I can take great pics...I am very proud of this costume, and I would like to share my struggles in making it with everyone.

This costume was not easy... from finding the right cloak, to finding and buying the right material, to the deciding and custom-making the pants and shirt by a tailor, getting all the conponents for the belt and making it. etc..

About the shirt, I used Han's shrit as a guide to design the front opening with (hidden) buttons used to open and close the fornt, no zippers were used. I dought that the costume designer used a zipper in his original designs, the shirt actually works well with this design and I am surprised in is not being used in shirts now. Perhaps it is a design that the costume designer had thought of for a futuristic look.

To finsh it I have a Parks (very similar to the ROTJ hilt) saber that wonderfully compliments the costume.

I will have pics soon!

Good luck to all!

4. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    I've also followed the basic idea of Han's shirt. Han's shirt worn in Empire Strikes back is simply one flap laying over another http://www.padawansguide.com/originaltrilogy/han_esb1.jpg (copy and paste link). Imagine Han's lower flap tucked in flat against his body and not pulled open the way he is wearing it in the picture. Voila, you have Luke's shirt. I constructed Luke's bib similarly and it doesn't require any buttons or zippers in the front at all - the same way that Han's does not. I simply put a snap at the corner of the bib to keep the flap up. The bottom flap just stays tucked under all by itself.

Mind you, this is a muslin - so it ain't pretty ;) (I've got to tweak the shape of the collar a tad)

[image=http://kay-dee.net/costumes/luke/shirtmuslin2.jpg]

Actually, the real costume does use a zipper on the size seam of the shirt. This was checked by someone who helped set up displays for FIDM.

- Kay Dee

5. ThePariah

Jan 24, 2003
    *clickies on muslin photo*

:eek:

[face_dancing]

[:D] :* [face_love] :D

6. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    I'm going to get the ROTJ Luke tailored by someone who to my knowledge has never seen the movies and I'm wondering if anyone knows which patterns I should bring to her and what alterations would be needed to be made that'd be great.

7. Phayze

Phayze Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 23, 2004
    I don't want this to sound rude, but if you read through the the thread you'll find at least most of the information that you're looking for. I'd be happy to clearify anything that you have questions over once you've done that, though. :)

8. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    Not rude at all, and I really don't know why I didn't do that. Lesson is posting when really tired is bad :p

Also you're right it was answered so, scratch the earlier question.

9. Phayze

Nov 23, 2004
    glad to help! :)

10. BJWagner

BJWagner Jedi Youngling

Jan 10, 2006
    Well, I just received my ESB belt and holster from The Magic Wardrobe, and I must say it's very impressive. The leather is very thick, the craftmenship is excellent, and my Master Replicas blaster fits perfectly into the holster. If you have the money, I highly recommend them. The delivery time was a few weeks longer than expected due to trouble with the color not curing properly, but in the end that just gave me extra time to pay for the thing.

As for the rest of my Bespin outfit, the pants are done, and the jacket just needs the cuffs and waistband attached. I'm really impressed with how accurate my wife has been able to get the fit of this strange, short jacket. Now just as soon as I get the boots from MotorCowboy, I'll post some pictures for those interested.

11. ThePariah

Jan 24, 2003
    Strange and short indeed. :p When I once bought one of the old Fan Club jackets on a whim off eBay, after I tried it on I realized why the real costume required suspenders on the pants--it rides up like crazy! :oops: [face_laugh] It just has a bizarre fit. I dunno, maybe Mark Hamill was just short-waisted? o_O

For that matter, I wonder why the hell the company who produced those replica jackets chose such a weird material--it was practically corduroy. [face_plain] Looked totally wrong and bulky. Then again, maybe a different fabric was used for the child sizes; I had to buy a child's large because anything bigger was huge on me. [face_blush] Is there anyone here who ever saw or owned one of the adult replica jackets? Were they corduroy also or better fabric?

12. BJWagner

BJWagner Jedi Youngling

Jan 10, 2006
    The whole costume different than most. The pants are indeed high-waisted. I added suspenders because as soon as I sat down, they were pushed down because of my stomach--and I don't have much of a gut! The jacket fits like a dress jacket in the shoulders, but is very tight in the waist like a snug t-shirt. I took us a lot to work out the fit.

13. Thallion

Thallion Jedi Youngling

Apr 17, 2006
    Ok I am about to start, An "accurate" version of the farmboy/ANH Luke outfit. Here is the data I have collected and my plans for construction.. I have worn the ole - light khaki slacks and basic wrong Gi in the past, but i want to do a more correct one. So I would really like feedback on the direction I am headed. If I have missed some vital info please let me know before I get underway...

Pants - I have read that the pants were bleached jeans (i believe even levi's). Well my plan is to buy white levi 501's and dye them slightly tannish. I was watching ANH last night, and the pants look yellowish, but I recall them being more tannish, I think this is a result of the remastering of the special editions.. but if anyone wants to jump in and declare the 'correct' color feel free.. (I figure dying white darker is much easier than bleaching something back to whitish)

Top -The top I believe was a karate gi, But it is very different from Gi's made today. The arms start off much lower on the body than most current GI's but then again maybe a Gi in the 70's had such a cut, but not on any I have seen today. Also the lapels on the costume are plain, Not ribbed like every GI you can find ready made today. So the plan is make a typical Gi pattern, but increase the size of the sleaves, and change the lapels to simple flat wide hems. It even looks like the typical medium weight canvas material Gi's are made from. (note Gi's are made in light, medium and heavy weight.)

Nice big reference Shot just for refreshers

Belt - ok this is a given the leather belt and pouches.. not much I need to say there.

Shoes/Leg Wraps - ahh those pesky shoes, I know I could go motorcowboy, but I hate spending that kind of money on a pair of boots I can only wear with one costume... I made a pair before (sorry no pics) that while they sucked, they proved I could do it right if I wanted to... On those boots I used a pair of rubber boots as a base and glued on strapping. This time around I plan on using a converse as a base, Not the sole of a converse is remarkable like the sole of his shoes, then I will build up the shoe with suede to get the look right around the foot, and attach the wrap's first go around onto the shoe's ankle support (so it can't slide up) and leave the rest to be wraped. On the sole color. Promo shots tend to have the black sole as seen, but the movie stills show a white sole... Opinions? (you can get converse with either black or white soles)

14. JedHead1

JedHead1 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 20, 1999
    I posted previously that according to the Dressing A Galaxy book, John Mollo (Costume Designer for Episode IV) said the shirt was a jujitsu shirt, and the pants were brushed denim.

15. Thallion

Thallion Jedi Youngling

Apr 17, 2006
    Well I can't find any real differences between a Karate Gi and Ju Jitsu Gi and every Ju Jitsu gi I can find today also has sleeves that are much higher under the arm than the top worn in the film. I am not saying that isn't correct, but I donot believe that style is produced anymore, or it is extremely obscure. Also every one has ribbed collars which the movie tunic does not. (Such is the problem with a mass produced society as today, and it seems the style found in the 70's has changed to the more commonly accepted smaller arm opening)

Pants - I did miss that you said it was brushed when I skimmed the thread. Brushed denim looks nearly identical to regular denim though doesn't it?, especially in such a light color. I have never owned brushed denim jeans though.. hmmm Maybe that's worth a look. I do wonder if anyone would know the difference....

hmmm how about these?

Or here is a pair from the 70's even... to bad I dont have a 29" waist... ;)

Any more thoughts?

16. BJWagner

BJWagner Jedi Youngling

Jan 10, 2006
    I don?t really see a difference between the brushed denim in the photos and regular denim?except that Luke?s pants look thinner than most jeans. I?ve got a pair of tan jeans from LL Bean that look very similar in color, so you should have no trouble finding pants that would easily pass for the proper ones. As for the tunic, I?d suggest finding a modern one that fits the way you want it, and if you can get it cheap, unstitch it and use the pieces to make your own pattern on paper. The tunic is baggy and not at all complicated, so a good seamstress should be able to make one in just a few hours. That way you can get the details that are important to you look right. I did this with my ESB jacket. I had an old dress jacket that was too short in the arms, but fit perfectly in the chest and shoulders, just like Luke?s. My wife took it apart and, with the help of Dawn Anderson?s Falcon jacket pattern to fill in the collar, made her own pattern.

Once you have a good tunic, boots, and belt?this will probably be the most expensive accessory if you want accuracy?the costume should look fine. No one will really notice the pants because they?re so nondescript.

17. Thallion

Thallion Jedi Youngling

Apr 17, 2006
  18. Phayze

Nov 23, 2004
    good find on the pants. If I ever get around to doing this costume, I'll probably just go with some flat-front khakis, but I'm lazy like that. ;)

Anybody have any decent leads on the boots? I understand that the motor cowboy boots are extremely inaccurate for the price (which is way too high for any costume accessory as far as I'm concerned).

19. BJWagner

BJWagner Jedi Youngling

Jan 10, 2006
    I really like the ones from The Magic Wardrobe. The 'Futuristic Star Farmer' costume looks good to me. Pricey, but accurate.

20. Jedi-Loreen

Jedi-Loreen Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 2, 2002
    Holy Crud is that stuff obscenely expensive at The Magic Wardrobe! :eek: How can they charge such prices in good conscience? [face_shame_on_you] It would cost you thousands of dollars to get a full and complete Star Wars-esque costume! When you could find someone to make you one, or do it yourself, for only hundreds.

I guess it's for the insanely lazy and weathy people that they must think exist out there. And probably do. I'd like to know what kind of business the do there.
    [face_hypnotized]

21. ThePariah

Jan 24, 2003
    Yeah, and I also don't like the fact that in their descriptions of the items, they mention that they shouldn't really be worn on anything but a mannequin. So they expect someone in their right mind to shell out over half a grand for a pair of boots that aren't even made sturdy enough to withstand the weather and extensive walking? [face_plain] [face_shame_on_you] Nah. This is best left to us amateurs. Anybody with decent knowledge of shoe patterning can make this boot completely accurate--it's obvious that it's a very soft boot, practically a fabric slipper mounted on a thick rubber sole. The Motor Cowboy ones look too stiff and the pattern on the front of the foot goes up too high; it should stop right at ankle height.

22. BJWagner

BJWagner Jedi Youngling

Jan 10, 2006
    The fabric part of any costume is always the cheapest IF you can find a good seamstress. It's those darn gadgets that take a bite out of your wallet. Just think about what it costs to get a good Stormtrooper or other armored costumed made? It all comes down to how accurate you want, what resources you have, and what you?re willing to shell out. I went full bore with my ESB costume, spending over $1500.00 on a prop blaster, saber, belt/holster, and custom boots. The darn costume itself was little more than $150.00 in fabric and accessories, and the construction of it was only the cost of a luxury hotel stay for my wife, the seamstress. It?s taken me 4 months to pay off the bloody outfit, but I?m loving how it?s turning out. This is the cost of being a perfectionist. I want the most accurate costume I can get, and if I can?t make it myself, I?ll spend whatever it takes to get what I want. Thank the Maker that I only allow myself to indulge in this crazy hobby once a decade!

23. Thallion

Thallion Jedi Youngling

Apr 17, 2006
    Well my opinion is that a costume should be as close as possible without breaking the bank. I am not rich, nor a "collector" such that pure screen accuracy really matters that much to me. Most of the people who see you in costume will never know the miniscule details, and shoot some people will either not even know what you are OR they will mistake you for someone else...(this has happened to me even wearing a very good costume) (when you get outide of the sci-fi fan realm) Most of what I make will probably only be worn once in a while, and most of the time will just sit on a stand in my future home theatre. I am planning on decorating the whole home theatre as SW theme. (I am currently thinking of making it look like the inside of the death star with those funky wall lights and austere metal plate walls and such. )

Anyway the boots. Here is a boot tutorial for Biker scout boots. Similar methods can be used to make more accuate versions of Lukes Farm Boy shoe. And this is what I am planning on doing for a fraction the cost of buying incorrect or outrageously expensive ones ready made. I haven't started this yet, but hopefully I will get to soon.

Here is the basic outline.
    1 - Find shoes with a similar sole - Done I think Converse all stars in either all black or all white fit this bill, AND have the added benefit of being canvas which is easy to sew through. In Promo shots there is a black sole, but the movie still indicate a white sole... take your pick... White/Chocolate/etc.. or Black

2 - Now Buy some suede. try to match the color as best you can from reference photos. Buy a bunch. (I believe it looks like suede to me If anyone else wants to suggest a material feel free).

3 - Cover the sneaker of the converse with the seude, using push pin method. This will require some stretching as seen in the scout tutorial. Never fear push pins are fine in the soles of those converse.. ;) You will need 2 pieces to do the shoe. Look at a pair of cowboy boots to see how they work together, but basically you use one for the front of the foot (over the top and down to the sole, and the other wraps around the back of the ankle. Get both piece all stretched as needed and temporarily tacked onto the shoes.

4 - Mark the 2 piece foot where you want to join them, mark both pieces. Carefully remove the suede and sew the pieces together along your marked lines, and leave a bit of the tongue unattached so you can still lace the shoes. Longer up the leg is ok as the leg wrap will cover up excess length here. A little tight is better than a little loose, as you can still stretch these a bit more when you put them back on the shoes but loose will end up baggy.

5 - Put the bootie back on the shoe, stretch and tack as neccesary. And attach the bootie to the shoe. Glue or sew or both.

6 - Measure out how long a stip to make for the leg wraps, and make the long strip.

7 - Sew one end of the leg wrap to the bootie top at around ankle level.

8 - Figure out how the top of the leg wrap will stay on. (velcro maybe, or a tie, or whatever works best, I havent decided yet what I will do, probably a tie of some sort, combined with tucking the top back inside itself)

That should do it.

Differences -
    - I think this will end up a bit shorter than the real deal as the real one seems to have a really thick sole. Converse's aren't very thick in the sole.
    - The real thing is built like stromtrooper boots/Jodphur boots. It has an elastic panel on each side that adjusts the ankle size of the boot. The elastic panel in this case is covered by strips of the shoe material to hide it (motorcowboy does that right). You could actually make this addition to the above steps, it just adds a fair amount of complexity(steps 3&4), for something most won't notice, and since these are already not 100% accurate

24. Phayze

Nov 23, 2004
    hey, cool tutorial! thanks for sharing.

That's pretty similar to how I made these boots:

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/reverendz3n/Costumes%20and%20Props/garrick_boot.jpg]

which are a kind of working prototype for my Luke ESB boots that I'll probably make (along with the rest of the costume) this winter.

vinyl, glue, an old pair of all-stars and a lot of patience. ;)

25. JedHead1

JedHead1 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 20, 1999
    A large Luke Bespin figure is coming out this fall. Might be good for reference:

http://shop.starwars.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=105068;category_id[face_talk_hand]pcid1[face_talk_hand]pcid2=

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.