main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Luke Skywalker fans UNITE! (v.2)

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by lightknight, Dec 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Naccha

Naccha Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 6, 1999
    What I don't get is why quite a few people think that Mark Hamill can't act. I thought he was great as Luke. Some complain how whiny he was in ANH, but that is how the character was written. I feel bad that he was typecast and really had a hard time breaking out of the Star Wars universe. Hollywood can be a very harsh place...you can be a star one moment and then nothing...

2. lightknight

lightknight Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 21, 2001
    I agree with you, Naccha.It is so true... unfortunately... :(

The name of Skywalker is commonly associated to Luke, so the main word for the roster can be Skywalker.
    If you find it too typical, there are always other choices, like:

Son of the Suns

or even less common

Binary Sunset

PD: guys, if you wanna be in this club, if you like it and you want it to continue,we all have to be more regular in our posts, or we'll have problems.
    I have just read a Mods'letter at Your JC Community. It would be good that you read it too: GO HERE

3. mistryljediskywalker

mistryljediskywalker Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 26, 2002
    I haven't been posting here for a while, not quite sure about titles. I'm not quite sure about Son of Suns, it seems really long.

4. Naccha

Oct 6, 1999
    We could use the name Farmboy though that's a little EUish...or how about 'the kid' cuz Han calls Luke that throughout the OT...

5. lightknight

Feb 21, 2001
    I like the kid!Perhas we could write just 'kid'. :D

6. Naccha

Oct 6, 1999
    "Kid" is good...gee, where are all the Luke fans? Everytime I come on, this thread is on page 3... Come on people...Luke is the hero of Star Wars, no doubt about it...

7. Mistryl

Mistryl Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2003
    Kid sounds good. Sorry, I'm always in other forums. Usually my last thought is tho check here cause I never go here.

8. DarthNoll

DarthNoll Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 11, 2002
    Hello again fellow Lukesters!

Just returned from Italia and I'm glad this thread is still here. I'll now be able to do my part by posting here on a regular basis.

I like "Kid" or "The Kid" for the roster also. If an additional idea needs to be thrown in the mix well, how about "Lukesters?" Just thought of that after I wrote the first line.

** Happy New Year! **

9. Naccha

Oct 6, 1999
    Welcome back DarthNoll...Lukester is good too, maybe we should take a vote or something...I just read a post in another thread where the guy went on and on about how he hated Luke in ROTJ and he didn't consider Luke a true Jedi...I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion, no matter how false it is...

10. lightknight

Feb 21, 2001
    I think I have red that too, Naccha...I just felt horrible, but I felt too sleepy and too deceptioned grown in disagree... :(

Well,in fact, the guy hates ROTJ... but specially Luke.

Hey, DarthNoll! Is good to see you! How have you been in Italy? I love that place, I envy you! Which part have you visited?

Mistryl:I hope to see you more often!
    ;)

11. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    Luke is BY FAR the best character in the SW saga, imo. One of the great things the PT has done is constantly put Anakin in the same spots as Luke...every time he makes selfish decisions...every time Luke seems to make selfless ones. I think his greatest moment was in Bespin, right after Vader told him he was his father...and Luke just let go and fell...that was so great, I don't have the words.
    Then in ROTJ, Luke is just the man...that's the main reason why its my favorite SW movie. Isn't it interesting that after all the battles fought, all the lives lost, all the hardships..what frees the galaxy is a son's love for his father? I gotta admit, I cry every time I watch ROTJ.

12. Naccha

Oct 6, 1999
    Me too, Appleseed...but my fave scene is the first one he makes his appearance. His silhouette against the sunlight as he enters the cave in Jabba's palace...gives me chills...you can feel his power...

13. appleseed

Dec 5, 2002
    Yeah, well, Naccha, that WAS quite an entrance...and you're right, Hammil has gotten a raw deal from hollywood. I liked Kevin Smith a lot anyway, but I really liked him when he showed Mark a lot of respect. And his voice work is great. I've been a Batman fan all my life, and the only version of Joker I truly love is his version from the animated series.

14. Mistryl

Jan 5, 2003
    Yeah, I'll be around more often.

I haven't seen that thread, but it seems to me that he may deliberatly be looking for some sort of argument. I try to avoid those threads cause my temper flares too easily. But it seems that it would be a waist of time to start arguing. I don't see the point in that, really I don't care if he hates Luke, there's really no point in doing something like that. Tempers will flare. I think that's usually the point of threads such as that sounds.

Personally I love ROTJ, it's my favorite movie out of all of them.

Hi appleseed.

15. appleseed

Dec 5, 2002
    Hi yourself Mistryl:) That thread sounds like it was just made to start a flame war. Some people just post to argue, it seems.

16. Mistryl

Jan 5, 2003
    yes, which is exactly why I'm staying away from it.

17. lightknight

Feb 21, 2001
    It is probably the best decision you can take.
    I have also decided to stay away from it...I would talk or discuss if I knew I were helping someone to think, or to change his/her point of view...but in cases like this , the only thing we all would achieve is -as you said- losing our tempers.

18. Naccha

Oct 6, 1999
    Personally, I like almost everything about Star Wars...I even like Jar Jar. There's enough non SW fans that diss the movies. If you are a SW fan, I don't see how you can hate any of the principal players...you might like one more than the other...but of course, there are those who love to post to flame...Anyways, I'm still a ESB fan myself, followed by ROTJ and then ANH. In ESB, Luke starts out pretty confident, he's a commander, he's giving orders and by the end he's so full of conflict and doubt, questioning the path he decided to follow...it really leads you into the character. Very well done IMO

19. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    It was Luke's dramatic change in ROTJ that clinched him as my favourite character. I liked him as the farmboy pilot beforehand, but the whole Jedi deal made Luke cool.

And appleseed makes a good point, I too have felt that Anakin's path and choices in the PT have added to Luke's path in the OT. Like father, like son? Not always.

20. Mistryl

Jan 5, 2003
    Luke has always been my favorite character, and yeah, parents and children aren't always the same.

21. DarthNoll

DarthNoll Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 11, 2002
    Yes, Luke AND Mark get a bad rap all the way around. We know differently, though, right? :)

Thanks for the welcome back, lightknight! I was in Naples and also spent a few days in Rome. My first trip over there and I had a great time. I'll be visiting again as soon as I can. :D

22. Naccha

Oct 6, 1999
    Anyways, back to the movies. There was one part in ESB that always bothered me. Luke risked his life to come after Han and Leia. But at the near end, Lando and Leia were going to leave Bespin and Leia knew Luke was still down there and in great danger with the Empire taking over. Only when Luke contacted Leia through the Force, did they turn around to rescue him. It's just one more facet to Luke's personality that I admire, he would risk everything to help those he cared about.

23. lightknight

Feb 21, 2001
    That's what makes him a hero, over the 'public' opinion...

We, Luke defenders, are on bad times, friends! Anakin has taken the lead among the youngs...and most forum members.

24. Naccha

Oct 6, 1999
    Aaah yes...the young are easily deceived by the Dark Side. Anyhow, anyone have opinions on EU Luke vs. Movie Luke...I certainly find Movie Luke more appealing to me, though there are certain books that I like EU Luke. I'm reading Darksaber right now, for some reason it's been difficult to find for me...I think that book kind of follows the character of Movie Luke. He's the type of guy who wears his heart on his sleeve...when he falls, he falls hard. He was in love with Leia in the beginning of the OT (b4 sisterhood was discovered). He hardly knew her and he was willing to risk his life for her to save her from certain doom. The same with Darksaber, he is doing everything to help Callista. But, I don't think these women totally appreciate him IMHO... What's your take on this?

25. Mistryl

Jan 5, 2003
    yeah, Anakin is taking over. I have never really liked Anakin, nor the prequel trilogy that much. I'm not so sure which I like better, I'm a huge EU fan. But his character is being really screwed up in some of them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.