main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Luke Skywalker Fans Unite!!

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Jedi Callie, Mar 28, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wormie2

Wormie2 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 22, 1999
    Actually......... Now, before I go on, I want it perfectly clear I'm not trying to tick anyone off, ok? Ok....... Actually, I can see Luke going over to the dark side. Here's why:

1. He has always been reckless, with very little consideration to the outcome of his actions. Said actions have always been benevolent in the past, but whose to say what the future could bring.

2. You know the old saying; Curiosity killed the cat. Well, it certainly applies here.

Let's do a quick little review of our boy Luke, shall we......Orphaned with no knowledge of his parents, brought up with little to go on, and what he is told turn out to be lies. He learns the truth and deals well with it, all things considered. After turning the tide of fate, he attempts to re-establish a dead tradition with no knowledge of who they were, how they operated, what they did, or how they did it. Now, what he does know it that the Sith, although obviously bad, were similar enough to the Jedi that he may be able to learn a bit from them. So, armed with the desperation to find some shred of information that could further his cause, a martyr complex, an ego that tells him he's strong enough to get out, an intense need to know why his father chose that path, fear that he will repeat his father's mistakes, and morbid curiosity, our fearless, albeit moronic hero enters the deep dark cave.

So....my point; yes, I can see DE happening exactly like it did. It seemed to me to be right in character for Luke.

2. Jedi Callie

Jedi Callie Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 14, 1999
    Wormie: you make valid and accurate observations on his personality, however I just feel like the whole point of ROTJ was to show that despite all of that--the recklessness, the impulsiveness, the curiosity--he overcame all of that to reject the dark side when the final test (i.e. his final confrontation with Vader/Palpy) came.

Perhaps this is because I think the six movie saga is a complete story in of itself, and so I feel like all the questions that needed to be answered when it comes to this particular issue have been explored and established (in my eyes, the books were just there to continue their further adventures but they didn't contribute to the overall "myth" of SW, that is: the story of human failure and redemption that George Lucas wanted to explore in a six-part saga. As Mark Hamill has said before, it always had a beginning, a middle, and an end. ROTJ was the end).

My point is, I thought the whole reason they were careful to emphasize his reckless behaviour in ANH and ESB was to set up this question in viewers' minds: what will Luke do when he faces his ultimate test? The test that will determine his character and define who he is forever? I thought that was answered in ROTJ. His decision therefore, was a binding one, one that became the core of who he is as a person, and so to me (not saying this has to be the case in everyone's eyes), it wouldn't be believable for him to reverse that decision later on no matter what the circumstances, because George Lucas had already set up the "ultimate" of circumstances for him to face in ROTJ. Everything after that would be minor adventures compared to that...

My opinion, though

"I am a Jedi, like my father before me."
    Luke Skywalker, ROTJ

[This message has been edited by Jedi Callie (edited 04-18-2000).]

3. Christina E.Skywalker

Christina E.Skywalker Jedi Youngling

Mar 16, 2000
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva,Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tainea Jinn-Skywalker:
    okay I think it´s time to send this thread back to the top!
    So let´s post a pic
    http://justluke.virtualave.net/images/wink33.jpg
    I really like this one!!
    Hi Taina,I love that pic too!!so cuuuute!

4. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    I'd like to cast my vote with the "NO WAY would Luke experiment with the Dark Side" camp. Anybody else in the EU is a definite maybe, and I'll be really surprised if Kyp doesn't become a Sith Lord...but that's another story...

Luke spent his entire life reaping the consequences of his father's actions, and came close to losing everything in the galaxy that he cared about in the process. Do I think he would willingly repeat those mistakes? Not only "No!" but....

GREAT end of RotJ pic!! Where do y'all find these things?

5. Wormie2

Feb 22, 1999
    Trace and Callie, you both have valid and correct points. Yes, Callie, the end of RoTJ represented Luke's refusal to join the dark side and the rescue of his father, and Trace, yes he has spent huge amounts of time and effort trying to make up for the acts of Anakin, but......you know, maybe I'm just coming from a different place than you. Perhaps I should explain. There are things that only personal experience can clarify. I, like Luke and Leia, grew up without my biological parents. I was adopted as an infant and spent my first 18 years trying to find some connection, one piece of something that would tell me where I came from, who I was. I understand the lengths some people would go to just to find a shred of truth. I was delivered to my parents with just the clothes on my back and three sheets of paper that summed up the medical history and physical traits of my family. A short paragraph about my parents interests and hobbies was all I had to go on. I took french lessons and horseback riding lessons to establish some flimsy connection with my mother. I entertained thoughts of joining the military to connect with my father. Do you see where I'm going? It's not a stretch of imagination for me to see Luke doing something of like mind, even going farther than I did.

6. Mara_Jade_Skywalker

Mara_Jade_Skywalker Jedi Youngling

Nov 5, 1999
    Yikes! I had no idea... I still don't think Luke would turn to the dark side though.

Hey does anyone (eg. JediMistress) have some really good pics? I'm making a gallery.

7. Jedi Callie

Jun 14, 1999
    LOL Trace: Kyp does seem like a timebomb ticking, eh?

Wormie: I really do understand your point and I'm not trying to argue you out of it... I think your point of view is valid as well, so I didn't want you to think that I was trying to convince you were wrong, because I don't think you are... (sorry if that didn't make sense, I don't think my brain is functioning at full capacity just yet )

8. Wormie2

Feb 22, 1999
    No Callie, I didn't think you were trying to change my mind. I just hadn't explained my position clear enough for my satisfaction.

9. taramidala

taramidala Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 1999
    Wormie,Trace, and Callie: all very interesting points and I can definitely see both sides of the argument. But I think I've learned from experience in controversial matters to remain "neutral."

Christina: would you please not re-post pictures if you want to reply to them. 1. It's not necessary and 2. It really takes the pages longer to load. Thanks.

MJS: I think you can find Luke pics pretty much anywhere. Try going through sites on webrings, especially Luke ones. But yes, JM's is quite nice.

MTFBWYA,
    "T"

10. Jedi Callie

Jun 14, 1999
    Hey Taramidala: thanks for reminding me, there's this pic I've been meaning to scan for y'all that's so niiice (and worry not, my dear, I haven't forgotten about your pics that I promised to work on! Will work on that this weekend...)

That pic of him in black with the lightsaber is really, really yummy. Mmm mmm mmm...

11. taramidala

Jun 18, 1999
    Uh...Callie? What was it exactly that I reminded you of? Sorry, my brain's not exactly with it, LOL.

Oooh! You're gonna work on the mother of all collages? Heeheehee. Thanks, babe! No big deal. You know I'm patient.

"T"

12. Jedi Callie

Jun 14, 1999
    Taramidala: sorry to confuse you LOL! You talking about pictures earlier just reminded me of the picture I've been meaning to post here for some time now LOL (now I just have to find it... Hmm...).

And yes, your collage will be ready soon! Will work on it this weekend...

13. taramidala

Jun 18, 1999
    Callie, oh OKAY. I get it now. Sorry, little slow today.

Collage?

"T"

14. Neon Star

Neon Star Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 30, 2000
    Hi guys! Love the pics! Here is one, it is not Mark as Luke, but I hope you like it.

http://www.theblanchards.com/mhas/pix/sam1.jpg

If you ever wanted to tell a story about what you would do if you met Luke or was a friend of his, I started a thread for it called Luke Admirers. Here is the URL Forum16/HTML/000557.html Forum16/HTML/000557.html

15. Christina E.Skywalker

Mar 16, 2000
    Hi T,I'm new at this,and I get hurt VERY
    easily.Please don't scold me.

16. taramidala

Jun 18, 1999
    Christina, my comments were not meant to scold or to be a personal affront against you. I was just speaking on behalf of those whose computers are not the fastest things in the world and offering a suggestion. There's no need to be defensive, I was not trying to be mean to you.

17. PalpyRocks!

PalpyRocks! Jedi Youngling

Jul 18, 1999
    Oooh, I;m here!!! Luke rules!!

As for the Dark Side thing, I think it COULD be possible - after all, nobody is immune. And I think it shows his strength and the bond with his family that he actually got OUT

18. PalpyRocks!

PalpyRocks! Jedi Youngling

Jul 18, 1999
    What do you love most about Luke?
    That he is the epitome of heroism - he is sacrificing and compassionate. He risks EVERYTHING and has the forgiveness and compassion enough to try and redeem a man the galaxy thinks is irredemably and totally evil - even Yoda and Obi-Wan. He isn't a macho tuff guy, although he can kick some major butt, he's got his sensitive side.

What is your favorite Luke scene?
    Hmm...in ANH, the Throne Room scene
    TESB: This one shot of him, his face half illuminated by his lightsaber, eyes burning with intensity as he faces Vader
    ROJ: The scene in which he throws down his saber and declares himself a Jedi in Palpy's face, or the scene of the Ewok Celebration

What is your favorite Luke quote?
    Ooh, toughie!
    Maybe..."I am a Jedi, like my father before me"

Ignoring EU for the moment, how do you picture Luke's future, post-ROTJ?

Well, as a powerful Jedi, devoting his life to training future Jedi. I think he'll find intense love, but he won't "settle down" - he'll marry a fellow Jedi, and together they'll forge a new Jedi order. In fact, I have a definite take on who it is, lol

19. Christina E.Skywalker

Mar 16, 2000
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva,Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by taramidala:
    Christina, my comments were not meant to scold or to be a personal affront against you. I was just speaking on behalf of those whose computers are not the fastest things in the world and offering a suggestion. There's no need to be defensive, I was not trying to be mean to you.I'm
    just learning how to post with quotes.I'm sorry.I've had an emotional week.

20. Mara_Jade_Skywalker

Mara_Jade_Skywalker Jedi Youngling

Nov 5, 1999
    OK this is wierd. I was just reading the posts on page one here, and correct me if I'm wrong, but Jedi44's Luke Skywalker Fans Unite! thread was the first -fans unite thread, right? Well, on page 1 alone, we now have:

Emperor Palpatine Fans Unite
    Han Solo Fans Unite!

Luke Skywalker Fans Unite!! Of cource

Admiral Motti Fans Unite!!!!!!!!!

Stormtrooper #2758 Fans Unite!!! WTF?

Porkins fans unite!!!! O-KAY...

Salacious B. Crumb fans unite!

Somewhere I've seen 'Third Jawa from the Left fans unite'!

We've being copied so many times... now I'm pissed off!

21. Emperor Polystyrine

Emperor Polystyrine Jedi Youngling

Apr 19, 2000
    I know I said he moans alot in the ANH but I do actually like Luke a lot. Whenever I read a SW novel it is for he that I read. I'm always tempted just to read the bits he is in. I think Hamill has had a really raw deal actually, he gets to star in 3 amazing films and then vanish off into obscurity when he is the best one in it... no fair... I'm waving my habd and waiting to join the club Callie

22. Luke Skywalker

Luke Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 2

Feb 18, 2000
    You forgot my couple of Wedge Fans Unite threads, MJS
    Come to think of it, it's time I posted a new Wedge thread
    Where's X-wing Commander when you need him?

23. taramidala

Jun 18, 1999
    PalpyRocks, hey there! Long time no "see"! How've you been? Welcome back.

MTFBWYA,
    "T"

P.S. Your story on fanfiction.net kicks some major butt!

24. taramidala

Jun 18, 1999
    Since I already took #400 over at Starbucks, I'll just go ahead and take #200 over here!

Security out.

25. Jedi15

Jedi15 Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 7, 1999
    To the top!

LUKE RULES!!!

[This message has been edited by Jedi15 (edited 04-23-2000).]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.