main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Luke Skywalker Fans UNITE!

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by DeJade_Vu, Oct 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DeJade_Vu

DeJade_Vu Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 29, 2002

I swear, there is just no Luke fans in this section at all...

Have they all fallen off the face of the earth and perished in the black cold of endless space, or what?!

2. Skywalker1138

Skywalker1138 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 7, 2002
    I own the Gothic Skywalker site to Medieval to Mark Hamill and am an avid Mark Hamill fan. Met Mark H. in 1995. We're few but definately around and proud of our hero! :)

3. ObidioJuan

ObidioJuan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2002
    I'm an old f@rt!, so I watched SW (not ANH) in 1977, remember the name ANH was added on a re-release in 81 (if I recall correct).

My favority character was Luke. He's the "unlikely" hero, very small farmboy, never done anything outside his home, yet comes through big time when the time comes, but is still just a silly kid.
    ESB is a learning movie for Luke, he's maturing as a young man and learning of life and the force, but gets kicked in the butt throughout the whole movie. In Hoth twice!, then Yoda, then the cave ('remember your failure at the cave'-Yoda), then Vader.
    In ROTJ he's more dark, mature, sure of himself and turn loner, no longer does he need his friends/family that much, all he cares is his role as the GFFA last hope.

To prove my point when my 3 yr. old son watched the SW saga (OT and EPI), his favorite movie is ROTJ and his favority character is Luke even over EP I and Ani. To me this is the greatest proof that ROTJ is the greatest SW movie to date!

4. VanLiz

VanLiz Jedi Master star 1

Apr 13, 2002
    Lightknight,

I understand Ben's point of view. Luke wasn't ready to hear the whole truth just yet and Ben was trying to protect him. I agree with Ben's decision. But the lie as well as all of the things that happened to Luke during Star Wars and ESB seemed to be too much for Luke to deal with (they would have been too much for me to deal with) and that's why I felt sorriest for him at the end of ESB.

5. DeJade_Vu

Jul 29, 2002

I've been to your site, Skywalker1138! It was a while, though. I went there to see some rare pics of Hamill. Do you still have those?

To prove my point when my 3 yr. old son watched the SW saga (OT and EPI), his favorite movie is ROTJ and his favority character is Luke even over EP I and Ani.

A wonderful child...an admirable child! :D

Luke wasn't ready to hear the whole truth just yet and Ben was trying to protect him. I agree with Ben's decision. But the lie as well as all of the things that happened to Luke during Star Wars and ESB seemed to be too much for Luke to deal with (they would have been too much for me to deal with) and that's why I felt sorriest for him at the end of ESB.

That's how I see it, too. And poor Luke DID get beaten up more than any person in the whole Star Wars Trilogy. In the whole SW saga, even. [face_shocked]

Let's see, he was:

beaten up by sandpeople
    grabbed by a diagna
    slashed by a wampa
    half frozen on Hoth
    wacked by numerous objects that Vader moved through the force
    lost his hand
    zapped by lightening

Geez, what has he NOT gone through?

6. Green_Destiny_Sword

Green_Destiny_Sword Force Ghost star 5

Jun 20, 2001
    So glad to see this thread! luke was the greatest of ALL Jedi. He did what Yoda and Obi Wan could not do, he saved the entire galaxy. The PT has only made it more clear how great Luke was.

7. Niralle

Niralle Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 28, 2001
    I concur. I mean, come on! Luke has been beaten to a bloody pulp way too many times. I didn't mind it so much in the movies because he was just learning, but if anyone has read the books, then you guys know that every other book has Luke stabbed, burned, knocked out, blown up, or ill. Very sad.

You guys want to hear something disturbing? Okay, I'll tell you! One of my close friends cannot STAND Luke Skywalker!. I mean, I wrote a fan fic about Luke, (which he read), and he explained to me--the author--that Luke was using his powers to show off! I'm the author! I would think that, being the person that wrote it, I would know why Luke was using his abilities. Isn't that crazy?!

(sigh) I don't get how anyone could not like Luke. Not be a fan, fine, but dislike him? It makes no sense!

Oh, and thanks DeJade for the link. I couldn't find the thread in here before, but I'm terrible at losing stuff, so I can't say anything. :)

You should put that in your signature, if you haven't already.

8. Master_Byrd

Master_Byrd Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 23, 2002
    Hi guys, I, too think Luke is the best character. I guess I can identify with him more than the others. He's a normal kid who wanted some adventure. I also loved him in ROTJ. Luke alone is the reason it's my favorite of the SW films. My favorite Luke scene is where he chokes Jabba's guards and mind tricks Jabba's assistant (don't know his name, pretty sure I'll hear it, though). So, rock on; Luke fans!

9. PMT99

PMT99 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 23, 2000
    "If Ben had told Luke who his father was before he was ready, Luke would have hated his own father and no doubt killed him without compassion."

But if he tells Luke after his training is complete, Luke would have hated Obi-wan and Yoda more than he will Vader because Luke will be angry with them for lying to him since day 1 about his father being killed by Vader, decieving him into believing that Anakin and Vader are 2 seperate people, and using him as a weapon to destroy Vader and the Emperor just because they couldn't do the job themselves.

Luke would have exploded in all his rage and and anger like his father had which would push him to the darkside causing Luke to become a Sith.

It would have happened in ROTJ had Yoda and Obi-wan not come clean once Luke asked them if his father was Darth Vader. Just so you all know, I am also a Luke Skywalker fan but I feel bad for them that these 2 jedi would decieve him as a way to convince him to destroy his own father as well as the Sith Master that converted Anakin.

10. Kitt327

Kitt327 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 23, 2000
    Luke is the greatest fantasy hero ever, in my opinion. I like him because he's so human ... he really is tempted by the Dark Side, but he holds strong to his beliefs. Also, he's got a good heart ... he's willing to sacrifice himself to save the father he barely knows ... inspirational, in a way.

11. SkywalkersSon

SkywalkersSon Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 28, 2001
    Great Thread, DEJADE_VU! I agree that Luke Skywalker of all characters deserves one! He's my favorite STAR WARS character ever. No PREQUEL TRILOGY character comes even close!Thanks for pasting the link in Luke's SOS thread.

VANLIZ: I like the way the prequel trilogy is showing how Anakin faced nearly the same problems as Luke yet Anakin chose the dark side while Luke chose the light.

Very good point, VANLIZ! Bot of them had many of the same problems, temptations, and powers, but Luke Skywalker chose the Light path while his father chose the Dark path.

I really think LUKE is really the Chosen One who brings balance to the Force. Anakin Skywalker helped annihilate the Jedi Order. Luke saved his father and reestablished the order his father so ruthlessly decimated. I don't think of Anakin Skywalker as a hero. His son, Luke, and his daughter, Leia, are the true heroes as far as I'm concerned!

DEJADE_VU: That Binary Sunset scene is the one that everyone seems touched by. Every person who's seen SW seems to have loved that part.

It is definitely one of my favorites.

DEJADE_VU: I was actually a little mad that they put that music into Ep.II. Excuse me, but that's LUKE'S music!!!

I'm glad someone else feels that way. I was disappointed that they used Luke's theme too. The STAR WARS main theme IS Luke's theme. Even the composer, John Williams, identified it as Luke's theme. He wrote it he said after seeing the "brassy, bold, masculine, and noble qualities" in the character of Luke Skywalker.

12. DeJade_Vu

Jul 29, 2002

Ah! My friends from Lit. and EU Community are here! How wonderful to see a familiar...um....icon! 8-}

I don't get how anyone could not like Luke. Not be a fan, fine, but dislike him? It makes no sense!

It doesn't, really. There's nothing about Luke that you could ardently dislike. None that I can think of, anyway. He doesn't COMPLAIN enough to make me dislike him, he isn't a jerk or a brat, so I can't see why...

I, too think Luke is the best character. I guess I can identify with him more than the others.

That's probably the reason I started liking Luke in the first place (one of them, at least). I mean, you can't identify with Han, obviously. And Leia, ditto. How could I identify with an Alderaanian princess involved with politics? But Luke? Ahhh, I could understand him.

He wrote it he said after seeing the "brassy, bold, masculine, and noble qualities" in the character of Luke Skywalker.

Masculine, noble... [face_love] I couldn't help it. My fingers typed it of themselves.

[face_love] <-- Yeah, that's one of the reasons Luke's my favorite character! [face_blush]

13. Niralle

Niralle Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 28, 2001
    I just think Lucas is trying to get people interested. I mean, Luke is based off of him. Even Mark Hamill pointed out that when he was acting out Luke, George Lucas would correct him until Mark realized he was more playing Lucas himself than a character. After that, everything went just fine.

I just don't get it. I like Anakin--he makes the best and most three-dimensional villian. Not hero. Can we sympathize for him? Sure, but I can sympathize for a drunk driver who accidently ran his car into a tree and died. That doesn't make him a hero.

14. DeJade_Vu

Jul 29, 2002

[face_laugh] Seriously.

Anakin is a character that I don't really like. Young Anakin, that is, not the ROTJ newly remade Anakin. Young Anakin never captured my attention. I'd like him more if he didn't do such...well...dumb things. Like when he charged and Dooku although Obe-Wan told him not to, resulting in lightening strikes and a lost arm. I was like, you dork! Another reason why I'm indifferent to him is because since AOTC came out, GALS who were Luke fans are now Ani fans. :mad: . FICKLE, FICKLE PEOPLE!! I refuse to stoop to such fickleness!! :mad:

15. lightknight

lightknight Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 21, 2001
    I really think LUKE is really the Chosen One who brings balance to the Force. Anakin Skywalker helped annihilate the Jedi Order. Luke saved his father and reestablished the order his father so ruthlessly decimated. I don't think of Anakin Skywalker as a hero. His son, Luke, and his daughter, Leia, are the true heroes as far as I'm concerned!

That's what I think too!! I have been discussing about it like a thousand times, but finally I've had no option than accepting Anakin (aaaaarrgh!) as the Chosen One, BUT LUKE AS THE SON OF THE SUNS, which means, the redeemer,the noble and high spirited,the True One.

But if I only had an argument I could add to this, I would say that he's really the Chosen One. He REALLY brings balance to the Force!!

The STAR WARS main theme IS Luke's theme. Even the composer, John Williams, identified it as Luke's theme.
    YES,YES!!!! It was commonly called 'Skywalker Sinfony' before the PT appeared.It means that its whole name was 'Luke Skywalker Sinfony'
    He wrote it he said after seeing the "brassy, bold, masculine, and noble qualities" in the character of Luke Skywalker.

You could'nt have described it with better words... [face_love]

"If Ben had told Luke who his father was before he was ready, Luke would have hated his own father and no doubt killed him without compassion."

But if he tells Luke after his training is complete, Luke would have hated Obi-wan and Yoda more than he will Vader because Luke will be angry with them for lying to him since day 1 about his father being killed by Vader, decieving him into believing that Anakin and Vader are 2 seperate people, and using him as a weapon to destroy Vader and the Emperor just because they couldn't do the job themselves

Obi-Wan and Yoda also committed mistakes, but I'm sure they did'nt want to use Luke only as a 'powerful weapon' against Vader and the Emperor.It wouldn't have been human,nor compassionate or even,if you prefer (and beeing just strictely loyal to the Light Paths)'addecuate' to the Jedi way of handeling things.

But someway, it seems like Luke was to be guided to find his own destiny and discover the truth by himself...

He was the child who became a man when he was still too young to confront his own fate.
    But he defeated all sort of prediction and brightened with a light that came from deep inside.He was not just a Jedi.He was a man and a human in all senses of these words.
    He was...Luke Skywalker.

16. lightknight

lightknight Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 21, 2001
    I'm a thread killer! :_|

17. DeJade_Vu

Jul 29, 2002

Thread killer? THREAD KILLER? Of course you aren't a thread killer!! You made a nice long post, for which I shall be eternally grateful!! Now, if this thread were locked right after you made that post, THEN I might accuse you of being a thread killer... 8-}

I still don't buy that Anakin is the Chosen One. The prophecy said that the Chosen One would be the one who "brought balance to the force". I don't see how Vader's killing all the Jedi brought balance to the force. True, he did become Anakin again in the end, but would that balance out the force? I don't see how. Luke's bringing the Jedi back into being sounds much more Chosen Onesy to me.

I need a second opinion. Or a third one. Or a fourth or fifth or sixth one...or a couple hundred.

After all, the Han and Leia thread has 3000+ replies while we still have ONLY 60+!!

And Son of the Suns...could someone care to explain that to me? I've heard the term applied to Luke before but noone ever tells exactly what it is supposed to mean. When I hear it I think of Luke watching the Binary sunset. :) . Oooo, maybe it could mean that this special person would come from Tatooine??

18. Cilghal 2

Cilghal 2 Jedi Youngling

May 31, 2000
    I'm a huge Luke fan and just found this thread. What a wonderful topic! My favorite, Luke Skywalker. The best, the very best.
    As for one of my favorite Luke scenes? (Hard to say my VERY favorite, there are so many!) But the one that grabs my heart is in RotJ, where he knows he must go off to face Vader. Alone. He leaves the warmth of the Ewok village, his new-found sister, and the security of his friends to face not only his father, to try to turn him back to the light, but also the Emperor himself, and quite possibly, death. How hard that must have been! What strength of character it showed! Leia, usually the fighter and so strong, advises him to "run away!" But Luke chooses the hard, but ultimately the galaxy-saving, path. For this reason, Luke has my vote for the Chosen One!
    And yes, please some enlightenment? Son of Suns?

Happy to meet you all!
    Cil

19. DeJade_Vu

Jul 29, 2002

Glad you stopped by, Cilghal. Hope we'll see you around here again!

20. Spacegirl

Spacegirl Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 11, 2002
    The absolute greatest moment of all the SW movies is Luke watching the setting of the suns on Tatooine!!!!!!! The music soars, Luke yearns restlessly for adventure, and I am right there with him. Luke rocks!!!!!! He is honest, optimistic, and loyal. How could you not love him?

21. DarthNoll

DarthNoll Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 11, 2002
    What a great thread indeed! Another Luke fan here.

(sigh) I don't get how anyone could not like Luke. Not be a fan, fine, but dislike him? It makes no sense!

When I first saw SW and I was 8, I gotta tell you that I did not like Luke. I thought he was a whiny little so-and-so. He seemed very selfish. HOWEVER, as I got older and I saw the movie from "a different point of view" if you will, he makes much more sense for all the reasons that I've read here. Luke is very much a believable hero. Overcoming obstacles while still making mistakes. He's much more than the kid wanting to shirk his chores to go hang out with his friends. His best scene is definitely the setting suns scene on Tatooine... Luke does indeed rule.

I really think LUKE is really the Chosen One who brings balance to the Force.

In a way, Anakin does bring balance to the Force... he did have a hand in creating Luke, right? That's just my take. I've not talked with anyone else that thinks of it in that way - what do you guys think? Anakin may have brought balance to the Force by having Luke (the Chosen One)? Do they necessarily have to be the same person?

22. Cilghal 2

Cilghal 2 Jedi Youngling

May 31, 2000
    Thanks for the welcome, DeJade_Vu! Every Luke topic is a great topic....so I'm glad to be here and have found this thread.

As for the balance in the Force issue... Lucas wrote this double trilogy, I guess you might call it, around the life of Anakin Skywalker, so he's calling him the Chosen One. The galaxy was beginning to go to the Sith, Sidious was corrupting the Senate, and even the Jedi couldn't see it clearly. In the fact that Vader does the actual killing of the Emperor, he does the final "deed", but never would or could have without Luke! So it was the dramatic interplay between Father and Son that caused the upset of Sith domination, not just Anakin. So, Darth Noll, I'd have to agree with you, that it can be a combination of two very dynamic "Chosen Ones" to save the galaxy from evil.
    And I just thought of something else.....it doesn't really bring "balance" to the Force, does it? "Balance" kind of infers a little of both of something, right? So a balance of the Force would mean some good balanced by an equal amount of evil. That's not what happens, though. The story is about good winning out over evil, not just becoming equal with it. By "Chosen One", I think I read "redeemer" more than "balancer", and in that regard, Luke is the redeemer, and Anakin is the redeemed. Maybe Lucas was trying to instill some Eastern mysticism into the whole Force concept with that line about balance. It seems to be more of a "good vs evil" struggle to me. Am I seeing it too black and white?

I'm curious if, in Ep. 3, they're going to test the midichlorian levels of Luke and Leia when they're babies. Like Qui-Gon tested Anakin in Ep. 1. I can't wait to hear how high Luke's level is! Sky-high!! The man is a tremendous combination of strength and tenderness. And am I a sucker for those!!

Cil

23. Aerica

Aerica Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 13, 1998
    Ahhh...Luke fan discussions. My favorite place to be! I love reading all these wonderful comments about Luke. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. :)

24. DeJade_Vu

Jul 29, 2002

:D Thank you. It's way better than hearing guys complain on threads like, "What's so great about Luke", huh?

I see what you're saying, Cil. I can see how Vader's destroying Palpy might point to the fact of how he's the Chosen One, but like you I still can't see how that brought balance to the force...

...UNLESS, perhaps, it means that Vader finally balanced the force within him. After becoming Anakin again, I mean.

Or maybe the whole prophecy thing is screwed. 8-}

Noone has tried explaining the Son of the Suns thing, yet, by the way...

25. Shannon Darklighter

Shannon Darklighter Jedi Grand Master star 1

Jun 11, 1999
    I remember that kick ass page devoted to all things Mark and Luke.

I miss that page, it even had some of my haiku devoted to the OT on there.

OT will always be the best. These new films are wonderful, sure, but their campy majesty will never out shine the oldies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.