main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Luke Skywalker Fans UNITE!

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by DeJade_Vu, Oct 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lightknight

lightknight Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 21, 2001
    Sorry!!! I'm here again!!
    Well, I myself don't know much about that thing of the Son of the Suns, but I know that, when Luke was born, there was said that he was going to be the owner of that name. The profecy about the Son of the Suns(fulfilled in Luke with no doubt from anybody)said that he would be perhaps not mighty and plenty of crude power as others (referring to midichlorians?), but strong in the force as anyone before;he was expected to do something of a relevance that no other would be able to do (helping, for example, Anakin to be the Chosen One and redeeming him?).

I've got a friend who knows a little bit more about this.I'll try to have him over here.

PD:If someone knows better this prophecy and sees that something I've said is wrong, you're free to correct me. :)

2. Cilghal 2

Cilghal 2 Jedi Youngling

May 31, 2000
    This Son of Suns prophecy is so new to me. Is it from a comic? An adventure game? I don't remember it in any of the novels. Lightknight, any light you or your friend can shed on it would be great. Anything and everything Luke interests me. Like, did he show tendencies to the Force as a kid, like Anakin did? And did Owen and Beru just squelch those tendencies, out of fear? He's so strong in the Force, he was able to play "catch-up" awfully fast and still become a Jedi Master even though he had none of the usual Jedi training from infancy. So strong!!!

Cil

3. Darth_Scarlet

Darth_Scarlet Jedi Youngling star 1

May 20, 2002
    Luke has always been my favorite!!!

4. lightknight

Feb 21, 2001
    Cilghal, I have alredy sent a PM to my friend (curiosely, his nickname is The_son_of_the_suns!!)I hope he'll come, but I'm afraid we'll have to wait a bit , since right now he's kinda busy at college.

Anyways,a pair of days ago I found this:

"The whole synopsis of the script of SW started with a very concrete element: a note of the Journal of the whills tittled as 3:127, and the text said:'...And in the time of greatest dispair there shall come a savior, and he shall be known as: THE SON OF THE SUNS'"

It sounds great,isn't it? :D

Dejade_Vu:I can also help thinking in Luke at the binary sunset scene when I recall this Son of the Suns name. [face_love]

5. Cilghal 2

Cilghal 2 Jedi Youngling

May 31, 2000
    Luke as a savior, a "Son of Suns"....I can see it! Thanks for any info you can find on that. I've heard of that "Journal of the Whills." They mention Lucas's first draft in "The Annotated Screenplays." Kind of interesting. I like to write Luke fanfix, and in it, I make Luke the fulfillment of a prophecy, too. There's something about his understated power that screams liberator, protector, and rescuer.

Gotta love him!!

6. DeJade_Vu

DeJade_Vu Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 29, 2002

"...a savior..."

That sounds SO cool. Almost like the Bible, actually.

I've heard of Journal of the Whills, too. But am not sure what it is, exactly. Which sounds so wierd to me...here I am, a huge fan since the OT SE came out, and there's still a lot of basic stuff I don't know about.

7. Cilghal 2

Cilghal 2 Jedi Youngling

May 31, 2000
    "It all began in 1973, when Lucas sat down and wrote a forty-page outline entitled 'Journal of the Whills' about Mace Windy, a revered Jedi Bendu of Ophuchi, as told by C.J. Thorpe, Padawaan learner of the famed Jedi.".....(Star Wars: The Annotated Screenplays" by Laurent Bouzereau)

Sure a lot of now-familiar words in there! Mace Windy (ha!), Padawaan (he gave the extra "a" to "Alderaan"??)

So it was Lucas' starting point for the whole Star Wars storyline. His rough draft, I guess.

OH, OH, I just found a quote on p.6: "The second draft as well as the third draft began with the following quote: "And in time of greatest despair there shall come a savior and he shall be known as THE SON OF THE SUN. (Journal of the Whills, 3:12)"

The book then talks about all the other permutations and name switches that occurred before screen time. Interesting. Our dear Luke Skywalker was originally supposed to have been over sixty years old!! Some script changes are very good! :)

8. DeJade_Vu

Jul 29, 2002
    Sixty!!! I heard that. Oh man, that would have been...different. We would never have had THIS, for instance--

[image=http://justluke.virtualave.net/images/sungaze.jpg]

I also heard that Luke was originally a girl. Yes, your eyes are fine. The girl would have been a combination of Luke and Leia, who would have gone to save her brother who was imprisoned on the Death Star. Han was originally an alien ( [face_laugh] ) and Ben, surprisingly, had the personality of Han...

This all sounds so crazy right now, doesn't it?

9. Cilghal 2

Cilghal 2 Jedi Youngling

May 31, 2000
    Such a nice picture!
    *sigh*

Yes, there were a lot of differences in the first few drafts. I'm glad GL changed things as he did. The main character just HAD to be Luke! Not a sixty-year old or a girl...imagine.

It's interesting how so many of the names were the same as those in the rough drafts, but just got reassigned to other characters. Artoo gets orders to seek out Lars Owen, not Obi-Wan. Jedi Bendu warriors were called Dai Nogas in the first draft...and the dianoga was that snakey creature that grabbed Luke in the trash compactor.

I'd love to see a really dynamic action figure of Luke, one that captures his intensity....along the lines of those Star Wars Unleashed figures, or the new Obi-Wan Hallmark ornament. Robes are swirling, lightsabers are dynamically placed, and the whole body screams with action. That's how I love to picture Luke.

10. Uruk-hai

Uruk-hai Jedi Youngling star 5

Oct 26, 2000
    I've always been a Luke fan. It's not trendy to like Luke the most, but I always identified with his character. He was the kid who saved the galaxy.

11. DeJade_Vu

Jul 29, 2002

Not trendy? :mad: Filled with joy am I...

There's a lot of Luke fans in the EU section, actually. They just never stray into this section.

Yeah, I'd like to see a cool figure of Luke also, Cil! They have some nice figures out there, but not many, and they are much harder to get than, say, an Ep.II figure.

12. lightknight

Feb 21, 2001
    Go on with your good work at fanfix, Cilghal!! ;)

And you,Dejade_Vu, never give up! We'll be always by your side!!
    (or at least here I am!)

I also prefer a young and...charming, masculine, lovely, awesome [face_love] ...!!! ...ehem, Luke Skywalker, than a sixty year old Luke.

Probably Lucas was thiking about an old, wise Jedi Master (in other words, thinking about YODA ) when he draw for first time the character of Luke. First a fusion of Leia and Luke, and then a fusion of Luke and Yoda... Lol!

I also assume that I've got a lack of knoledge about OT, and that's why I've created a thread called OT newbies guide to post in common all questions and curious things you might know (or want to know) about the OT. I've got some good pictures to show you, and some things you'll find intersting!

OK, no more publicity.

See ya ;)

13. lukeskywalkerrox

lukeskywalkerrox Jedi Youngling

Nov 23, 2002
    I LOVE LUKE SKYWALKER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[face_love]

I agree with everyone who thinks Luke is the greatest character ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. Jem Skywalker

Jem Skywalker Jedi Youngling

Feb 27, 2000
    I'm just stopping by fellow Luke fans. I absolutely LOVE Luke Skywalker too. There isn't a hero as brave or as solid as Luke. I always thought the Trilogy (Original) was about him saving the galaxy. Never gave any of the credit to Anakin/Vader but I guess GL had other ideas. I'm here to stand up for Luke and hopefully, the new Zahn book coming out next year (2004) will ROCK. Luke is the Man.

15. lightknight

Feb 21, 2001
    Welcome people!!
    Nice to see you among our Luke Skywalker Brotherhood.So let's keep this thread UP!!!!
    :D

16. lightknight

Feb 21, 2001
    HEEEEY....! IS THERE ANYONE ALIVE HERE???

***echo...echo........

...echo....***

17. DeJade_Vu

Jul 29, 2002

I'm here!

It's so nice to see Luke fans stop by. I hope they come back...I love serious discussions, as I've said before. Yeah, keep this thread UP! We'll be hitting 100 soon.

It's funny to think of a combination of Luke and Yoda...something like a really really short wrinkly old guy with bright blues eyes, who uses wierd grammer. [face_laugh]

And speaking of the new Zahn book, I've created a thread for it in the Lit. section, in case anyone's interested. "The Official Thread for Survivor's Quest (Spoilers)" is the name. I don't have too many spoilers now, however. ;)

18. Naccha

Naccha Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 6, 1999
    I have to admit at first I loved, loved Han. And I still do. The Anti Hero with a heart. But after TPM came out and I re-watched the OT, man my heart went out to Luke. He had to endure so much and he made it through on his courage and compassion how can you not like and admire the guy? One of my fave Luke moments that I didn't see mentioned is when Yoda dies. The heartache on his face that another loved one has died and when he goes back to his ship and says to Artoo "...I can't go on alone." That always makes me so sad for him...he's the only one left...

19. Uruk-hai

Uruk-hai Jedi Youngling star 5

Oct 26, 2000
    Yeah, Luke always seems sad to me. He's lost his parents, carers, mentors and friends. He's confronted with the fact that the second biggest villain in the galaxy is his father. He has the responsibility to carry on the Jedi Order and the expectation that he will save the galaxy. No wonder he seems terribly lonely and sad sometimes.

He's a complex character that I think Hammil played very well.

Han is just the lovable rogue, you don't expect too much from him. Good for a laugh and some action but that's about it.

20. Naccha

Naccha Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 6, 1999
    I don't know, I think Han's character develops nicely in the OT. Yeah, he's a lovable rogue, but he has a lot of heart and courage too. Plus, I like how he totally falls in love with Leia so much that at the end he's willing to back down if she really loves Luke and not him. Of course, love the expression on Han's face when he finds out Luke is her brother... But anyways, there's a really good book out there called "The Journey of Luke Skywalker" it analyzes the OT and the mythology of the hero from a Star Wars point of view. It's really cool...

21. Steve_Underwater

Steve_Underwater Jedi Youngling

Dec 2, 2002
    here, here!

Luke may have been a little annoying in ep4, but he shaped up for the next two films and is definitely my favorite character.

22. lightknight

Feb 21, 2001
    I think I should remark that, according to the guidelines given by Lucas,in ANH Luke had to look like 'a young guy with the head full of birds, dreaming all day, specially about beeing a hero'.He had to look like teenager,even a little childish sometimes.
    And he really looked like that in some ocasions.

Luke/Mark Hamill bashers never look at the role he does in each movie and the way he develops, from teenager to man; never think about the merit of playing three different Lukes and make them look like the same caracter.

No wonder he seems terribly lonely and sad sometimes.

I agree.Perhaps this is one of main facts, -if not the main one- that makes me admire him so much.

BTW, I also loved Han at first.I still love him and ,from my point of view, he's got a worthy role, although he could be the 'lauthing factor' in the movie.But I,as well as I loved Han at the moment I saw him, I have learned to love Luke.It means, I had to grown up to understand him and love him the way I do now.

And nowadays, I can't help thinking in him as my favorite caracter.

23. lightknight

Feb 21, 2001
    Sadness...

[image=http://justluke.virtualave.net/images/rotjbts3.jpg]

"I won't leave you!"

[image=http://justluke.virtualave.net/images/lukecry.jpg]

The loss of a father.

24. DarthNoll

DarthNoll Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 11, 2002
    lightknight wrote: BTW, I also loved Han at first.I still love him and ,from my point of view, he's got a worthy role, although he could be the 'lauthing factor' in the movie.But I,as well as I loved Han at the moment I saw him, I have learned to love Luke.It means, I had to grown up to understand him and love him the way I do now.

EXACTLY! I absolutely understand what you mean here. I also like what you said about Mark Hamill having to play 3 different Lukes and make them still the same character. I never quite thought about it that way. I now have a bit more respect for Mark Hamill, too.

25. DeJade_Vu

Jul 29, 2002

That's kinda the same thing that happened with me, lightnight. When I first heard of SW and saw ANH, I thought Chewy was going to be my fave. Yeah, seriously! But only the first time. Then I thought Han was pretty cool..funny, too. But then my liking of Luke just sort of grew...I suppose that underneath it all I had always liked him best, it just took me awhile to realize it. In fact, that is just what happened, now that I think of it.

Luke/Mark Hamill bashers never look at the role he does in each movie and the way he develops, from teenager to man; never think about the merit of playing three different Lukes and make them look like the same caracter.

Yeah, really. What really irks me about those bashers is how they are always making fun of Hamill's acting...something which I have never understood. I have seen the trilogy so many times, and have never seen any difference between Hamill's acting and that of his costars.

I think that one of Luke's best lines is from ROTJ: "I can't kill you, father." Or maybe it's, "I won't kill you, father," or something of the sort(I do NOT have Winter's perfect memory!!). The way Hamill delivered that line was wonderful. His voice has the little tremble in it and everything.

I've heard critics say that the Luke/Vader/Palpy scenes in ROTJ are very well acted. I whole-heartedly agree.

One more post and we'll be at 100! Good luck to whoever gets it...maybe it'll be you, lightnight! Or some other wonderful Luke fan...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.