main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Luke Skywalker (in EU) fan club!!!!

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Tallie, Apr 29, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    Well, this thread has finally made it to 900!
    :)

Niralle, I like your drawing.

Michelle, sorry you've been sick. Feel better soon!

Jedi Liz and Aunecah_Skywalker, welcome and thanks for posting.

Aunecah, you wrote:

I'll post. What do I post about? Err... Could I post about that I'm very unsatisfied with how the NJO authors are potreying Luke in NJO? Or that I wished there would have been some scenes that show him spending some more time with his little son Ben?

I too wish there would be more family scenes in the NJO. I'd love to see Luke spend more time with Ben. Hopefully, after the Yuuzhan Vong have been defeated, he'll get to spend more time with his family.

I too am VERY unsatisfied with the way Luke has been portrayed in the NJO! In fact, Skydancer started the SOS , Son of Skywalker, You the Fans are my only hope thread on the Lit board for that very reason. We're trying to petition LFL and Del Rey to portray Luke better and to give him something more useful to do in the NJO.

You'd be very welcome to come join us and help support Luke Skywalker there.

Both there and here you can mention anything you like or dislike about the way Luke has been handled in the Bantam and Del Rey books and the comic books. You can mention your favorite books and maybe why you liked them.

Post often! :)

2. DeJade_Vu

DeJade_Vu Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 29, 2002

I'll DEFINITELY post often. Luke Skywalker is my absolute most favorite character in the SW universe (Mara Jade is a very close second). :D [face_love]

Let me say that I was so thrilled when he and Mara were married. I was terrified that some author would have him marry one of those OTHER women... [face_mad]

And now they have a son!!! That thrilled me too. I just wish that the NJO authors would have more scenes showing Luke and Mara spending time with little Ben. I know that a lot of other people wish that too...

Well, that's all I have to say for the moment. By the way, are there any other Luke Fan Club in these boards?

P.S. justluke.virtualave.net is a great site. There's another one, loveluke.com that I liked but it's temporarily shut down.

3. DeJade_Vu

Jul 29, 2002

Well, I said I'd post often and here I am! Where is everyone?

I was flipping through some SW novels in B.Dalton's the other day and I must say that the post-ROTJ Luke is pretty cool. The Evil Empire always tries to capture or kill or maim him in some way, yet he always finds a way out of their traps...and with a certain ease befitting a Jedi, of course. Take the Jedi trap from one of the Zahn books. Totally fool-proof, yet he got out of it. And take the city scene on Myrkr near the end of Heir to the Empire. Luke gets rid of all those ambushing troopers by himself.

"One man..."
    "...and without the force, too."

4. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    DeJade_Vu:
    Luke gets rid of all those ambushing troopers by himself.

"One man..."
    "...and without the force, too."

Yes! That was a great line! I like when Luke is portrayed as the smart, resourceful guy that he is. Getting out of the Jedi Trap is a great example. Another is when he got himself out of that building that Talon Karrde had him put into on Myrkr. He even used the battery from his artificial hand to help free himself. Great ingenuity!

There is another Luke thread on the Lit board. It's SKydancer's "SOS Son of Skywalker, you the fans are my only hope" thread. We haven't been very happy about the way Luke has been portrayed in most of the NJO books and we're asking LFL and Del Rey to write better characterizations of our favorite Jedi and to give him a useful role to play in the defeat of the Yuuzhan Vong.

Feel free to come and join us there. I don't get to skim the boards very often, but I usually try to check the SOS thread every day.

5. Aunecah_Skywalker

Aunecah_Skywalker Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 25, 2002
    I like that line, too :D. It's one of my favorites.

Well, you said I can post it, and here it is (maybe I'll even post it in the Literature SOS thread :confused:):
    . . . .

One of my biggest problems with Luke's characterization in EU as a whole is that they make him a weak-minded guy who has little or no self-esteem, self-respect, self-worth, self-confidence, and basically everything with a self- in it.

Seriously, he single-handedly blew up the Death Star, was trained by Obi-Wan Kenobi and Master Yoda, made Darth Vader/Anakin Skywalker turn back to the Lightside (which isn't an accomplishment to slide by), indirectly destroyed Emperor Palpatine, saved the Rebellion, worked around-the-clock of the safety of the New Republic and the galaxy....

I'm sure you get the idea. For someone who has so many accomplishments, he sure wallows in self-pity ("I can't find the Jedi records" ... "what kind of a Master am I going to make?" ... "Am I sliding to the Darkside?" ... blah, blah, blah) a lot.

Luke's lack of self-confidence is particularly visible when you compare him with Leia and Han. Have you ever seen Leia or Han thinking that she can't do something, or at least *worrying* that she can't do something? In Spectar of the Past, Han even takes on a diplomacy mission, and that is something he's really bad at.

In NJO, my main problem with Luke's characterization is that ... well, there isn't much of him in there. Practically, the only Skywalker POV you get is Mara's. Leia gets her share, Han gets her share, the Solo kids get their shares. But what about Luke? We almost always get to see him through other people's eyes, never through his'. In RD and RS, we had some Luke POV, but two books in however many books until now isn't all that much.

Also, I don't like how Ben is always with Mara. Shouldn't the books have at least a paragraph or two in which Luke just forgets about the rest of the galaxy, the Jedi, and the Yuuzhan Vong, and simply reflect on his son? Just take him in his hands and hold him for a second?

And, oh yeah, how can I forget that Luke doesn't really take any action against the Yuuzhan Vong. Yes, Jedi are defenders, but sometimes the only defense you have is in attack. Kyp had been going about it the wrong way, using aggression and stuff. But Luke's idea of working against the Yuuzhan Vong is wrong, as well. He is only passively reacting to situations - if he goes on with it, there would come a time when he will find no more situations to react to, no one left to save. He should, instead, take on a role of active leader. (The latter books seem to be getting at that.)

And what about his relationship with Han and Leia? Is it always "Han, I have a mission for you," "Leia, can I borrow Threepio," or something like that. In SbS, even Mara says something comforting to Leia in her self-doubts, but I hardly ever saw Luke talking to Han and Leia as a friend and a brother. It's almost as if he never speaks to them unless it has something to do with the safety of the Jedi and the galaxy.

. . . .

Sorry, this all came out in a rush. The whole thing has been boiling through me and now it just burst. I couldn't resist putting it all down.

Aunecah_Skywalker

6. Aunecah_Skywalker

Mar 25, 2002
    And did I mention that I have to squint at the bookcover for ten minutes before realizing that the person is Luke?

Aunecah_Skywalker

7. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001

Aunecah_Skywalker, excellent post about Luke! Yes! Please DO post it in the SOS thread on the Lit board! It's Skydancer's thread and it has about 2400 posts.

8. DeJade_Vu

Jul 29, 2002

2400 posts??!! Wow, I'm joining!

Aunecah_Skywalker, I totally agree that the authors in the NJO make Luke too much of a worrier. Sure, in the trilogy he had a moment of self-doubt now and then, but only because he wanted to be sure of doing a good job. In NJO he worries incessantly. He's a Jedi Master now. He should be able to "clear his mind of questions..."

Other things I don't always like is the way Luke and Mara talk to each other in some of the novels. I like the romantic scenes themselves (some of them even merit a *sigh*) but...I mean, they call each other "dearest", "darling" and "my love". Mara isn't the sort of person to call anyone darling, come on. That's a little too sappy for me...

By the way, I've just started an Ultimate Luke Skywalker Fan Club in the Classic Trilogy section. If you'd like to join it, please do. :) I think it's on page 3 or 4 by now...

9. DeJade_Vu

Jul 29, 2002
    Apparently my Luke Club thread has been locked down since it's in the wrong section :_| , so everyone screw that last paragraph in my other post. At least now I know there is a Luke Fan Club I can join!!! :D

Anyway...we can go on, now that I've got that off my chest...

10. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    DeJade Vu and Aunecah Skywalker, thanks for posting in the SOS thread! Feel free to stop by often!

I'm sorry about your thread, DeJade Vu. :(
    However, there's still this one and the SOS thread!

11. Aunecah_Skywalker

Mar 25, 2002
    Sorry about your thread, DeJade_Vu :(. That happened to me sometimes.

Aunecah_Skywalker

12. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    Luke needs time with his son, I totally agree Aunecah.

I don't think Mara is hogging Ben, but she should be willing to let Luke hold him and not be forced to just do diapers. ;)

Luke needs to lead the Jedi, but he also needs time to be a father. He never had a good father figure in his life ( I wouldn't ahve liked Uncle Owen for a father figure ) so he needs that chance.

I'll try to post again in the SOS thread, but I have to go to bed soon.

13. DeJade_Vu

Jul 29, 2002

Hmm, noone's been posting here for awhile...

Yes, Luke DOES need time to be a father. After all, I'm sure he had been longing for a dad most of his life, only to learn that Dark Helmet himself was his father. Not exactly what he was hoping for... Therefore I think Luke would want to be the best father possible for his child.

14. _JainaSolo-

_JainaSolo- Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 31, 2002
    Yay a luke fan club. i have enver seen this thread before. Luke and jaina are my top two fav w/ mara and corran close behind.I wanna jion this club. I think that luke will be a fabulous father. I think that he'll be to ben what he always wanted his father to be.

15. lightknight

lightknight Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 21, 2001
    HEY, THIS IS GETTING MUCH,MUCH MORE INTERESTING!!!

I'm back from my vacation, so I'm ready for the war aganist the dark forces of those who hate our beloved Skywalker...

Wonderful posts,friends.You really have skills and knolegde to join SOS thread.They NEED help.I cannot join because I still have to read a lot of novels, and my opinion ona novel I have not red would not be fair.

But I stay here.Don't leave!!

Soon I'll have a good Luke portrait.I'll show you when it is finished.

16. Jedi_Wookie_Reborn

Jedi_Wookie_Reborn Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 2, 2002
    This is gonna turn into another SOS luke thread. But I'll join.

17. DeJade_Vu

Jul 29, 2002

Hellooooooooo, people. Are we going to get this thread to 1000 or not? Let's get some replies!

18. Jedi_Liz

Apr 24, 2000
    meesa here!

I posted a great quote from Star by Star in the SOS thread......and its proof that Luke does get to hold Ben sometimes. :D

I'll copy it here ASAP.

Here is the quote, and its a nice one I'd say:

From page 437 of Star by Star:

The crook of Luke's arm felt strangely empty without Ben there to keep it occupied. At the oddest times, he found himself holding his hand in front of his belly and his elbow slightly out from his body, rocking from one foot to another and humming softly to himself. Sometimes, such as now, it even seemed to him that his ribs were warm where his son would be pressed against him, or that the air was sweet with the smell of the milk on Ben's breath.

Sensing a sudden silence in the air, Luke looked up to find the three women in the room --Mara, Danni,Cilghal -- studying him with knowing smirks. He felt himself blush and knew there was no denying that his thoughts had been elsewhere.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

That passage (I found it a few nights ago while skimming the book trying to find another passage) shows that Luke does get to hold his son. His mind was definitely elsewhere --- I guess mine would be, too if I was seperated from my child if I had a child.

19. DeJade_Vu

Jul 29, 2002

I read that quote in the SOS thread and I still love it. Anyone got anymore good Luke/Mara/Baby Ben quotes? I would contribute but I don't have any NJO books.

20. DeJade_Vu

Jul 29, 2002

C'mon Luke fans, where are you? You can't ALL be on vacation. Your computers can't ALL have exploded. Let's get a discussion going! WE NEED 1000 POSTS!!!!!

I've got a topic that I find veeeery interesting. On the the SOS thread I heard a rumor that Zahn was going to write a Luke and Mara novel! :D This is extrememly exciting for me. Are the rumors true? Anyone have any news?

21. Jedi_Liz

Apr 24, 2000
    where did Tallie go? She was the originator of this thread......and she just seemed to fade away................

Anyway.......some good mush in the excerpt, though some people overreacted a little bit and said it was explicit.

It made me hope that Destiny's Way is a good book.

22. _JainaSolo-

Jul 31, 2002
    one quick question when does destiny's way come out?

23. DeJade_Vu

Jul 29, 2002

And who's going to PM me that mysterious DW excerpt?

24. Jedi_Liz

Apr 24, 2000
    I can't PM you the excerpt.....I'm not sure if I could copy/paste.....I know someone else that could send it to you, though.

I'll ask him to send it to me (already copied and pasted.......) and then I can send it to you.

Has anyone seen that official blurb about Force Heretic 1? Yeah!

25. _JainaSolo-

Jul 31, 2002
    I hope that luke has a bigger part in Destiny's way that he has in the past few books. Hey have you heard about the new SW book that's coming out like next year? It's called "Tatoine's Ghost" From what i've read about it it's mostly about Han and Leia but is sounds neat. Oh yeah it takes place right after they get married

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.