main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Luke Skywalker = "The Shade"?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Bosskkkk, Apr 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Actually the script doesn't tell us whether they are married or not. And I see no reason why Leia would want to have kids directly after defeating the empire. She might want to wait until the NR is stabilized. I can easily see Leia making the sensible decision to wait with kids until she's forty. The EU solution where she's more or less written as bad mom who never has time for her kids because next big crisis isn't good anyway. Leia is a planner. She's not the type to get knocked up on accident.

So yes, I could see them going with 20ABY: Leia gets twins.

It's possible they will stick with the celibate hero line of thought. Or maybe not. Impossible to say right now.

2. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    If Lucas wants to salavge any of his old drafts where Luke found his long lost sister and trained her son (also named Skywalker) thrn someone has to have kids, and if he wants the skywalker name to continue that means Luke must get married.

Now we also have Disney's desires and while they did buy the franchise for lightsabers and spaceships, point 3 on there list was very likely the family aspect of the story... and a family for the OT characters means kids and dumping the celibate heroes (which in turn means wider audience appear and more money too). Lets some Jedi choose celibacy but not all for the sake of the few who desire this.

As to Leia sure she might not want kids, but Han is older and he was pshing had even in Empire for the beggining of a real relationship... which is why I purposed a middle ground, one batch of kids right after but the rest later (and the right time to be born to be the perfect age for the ST). This would also appease many EU fans, also having extrs kids doesnt hurt anything plus they'd make great cast choices to kill off if that needs to happen since it would add real emotional weight to any plot.

3. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Two batches of kids? 2x2 = 4. Then add to that Ben and Mara.

Total amount of new characters to introduce: 6

Add to that non-force sensitive side chars (we need them to) and we arrive at a huge number.

It's easier to just make Leia only have twins in 20 ABY. Sure the entire timeline would need to be changed, but lets not kid ourselves. Something major like that is definitely going to happen. You don't get a round object into a square slot without some work.

4. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Not all need prominate roles in the episodes, that's what the spinoffs and the tv show are for. Taking those into account 6 characters is rather small

5. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    When it comes right down to it, I'll be thrilled as long as by the time the ST rolls around, Luke has a son roughly the same age as Luke and Leia in ANH and Han and Leia have a daughter. If that daughter is younger in the ST than she is in the EU, it would be okay with me. If Leia and Han's daughter has a twin brother, who is alive and well, I won't be torn apart over the loss of the story of Jacen's fall and death at the hands of Jaina, either. That's because I think it's far more important to get the general character templates of Luke's son and Han and Leia's daughter into the story of the ST, than it is to keep details like thier names and/or ages (and yes, even some of their prior stories) the same.

The reason I say keep Ben roughly the age he is at in the EU, is mostly because I don't care to have one of the leads any younger than that, and the character's never been portrayed as any older, but I could certainly see some flexibilty with the Solo's. No idea if we'll get anything like this, naturally, but that's my wish.

Ryus likes this.
  6. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Mostly fully agree with TreborSabreon but would Perfer no name changes since comparisons will happen anyways no matter what, so best just to claim it's them but the future went in motion a different direction leading to them taking different paths in life. I also fully support more kids than just a Jaina, Jacen, and Ben (dont care either way about Anakin Solo and suspect he wont survive any cuts, if he exsists with only a name chage I'd be shocked actually).

I also honestly like the idea of Jacen and Jaina remaining their EU age for two reason, it fits the assumed timeline of Han and Leia falling in love and second the heroes of eps VII-IX dont have to be the oldest (I say this as the oldest child in my family) in fact I like the idea ofheroes being younger than the oldest kids since it'd be a change from the last two trilogies of a single batch of kids. Im not dead set on it, just saying Id prefer it, since in the end I wouldnt mind if they edited the ages beyond finding it a bit cheesy and forced

TreborSabreon likes this.
  7. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    I was thinking along the lines of a new series having (like TCW) five years, or so, to develop it's stories. This way, Luke could meet Mara early in the series, have a season to fall in love, another season before marrying and then eventually having Ben. This way, things might not feel too rushed. The issue with this, though, is that I could see having the new characters introduced before the ST might be one of the goals of the series, so time would be a factor there.

Who knows, though? There's no reason that we couldn't meet "Ben," "Jaina" and "Jacen," for example, in Episode VII first, and then the series becomes a nice way of answering the questions we would have about their backgrounds after seeing these characters in the ST first. Still, you might just be right that saving Luke and Mara's early moments for another vehicle would be the best way.

Oh, and the names, yeah, let's skip a number of them. As much as any of the other elements, it's some of those names that I found so poorly chosen. Ugh! Actually, though, as weird as it might be getting used to it (and as clunky sounding as the formal name is), I thought seeing the remnant informally described as "the Union" was better than some of those other names.

Ryus likes this.
  8. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    Oh, I'd prefer the names and ages be kept intact, too. I'm just saying that if the only way to get these characters into the ST is through changing some of the details, I could live with it.

One way or the other, give us Ben Skywalker and Jaina Solo in the ST, please!

Ryus likes this.
  9. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Don't take the names too seriously. This is only a concept and nothing is easier than changing a name.

I'm not so sure if that's a good idea, to be honest. Even if most of those six are side characters, you'd still need to invest screentime for exposition, which wouldn't be required if less characters existed from the start.

With the amount of cameos we're probably getting (Chewie, Lando, Boba's left foot) which would also take away some screentime I doubt they want to deal with a whole circus group of Solo/Skywalkers.

As impossible as it seems, but some who go to see Ep. VII won't even know who Han, Leia and Luke are (mostly little kids, but still). This should also be taken into account.

10. Corax78

Corax78 Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 2, 2008
    Whether or not we will get a "Ben Skywalker" or "Jaina Solo" doesn't mean they will be the same characters from the books.

Plus like I said earlier in this thread if Reclamation is legit, which I think it is, then we will be introduced to the main character as an infant in this series. Most likely it will be Han and Leia's child.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  11. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    You've got that right. I'll say it again: Like as I might for the characters of Ben Skywalker and Jaina Solo, as we know them from the novels, to appear, if we are given even just the very basics of their characters in the ST, that is to say, a son for Luke and a daughter for Leia and Han, I'll have my wishes fulfilled, indeed.

12. TheManFromMortis

TheManFromMortis Jedi Master star 3

Nov 19, 2012
    _ _ _ _

I agree. That would provide some emotional depth for Leia's character within the show or the ST. People are flawed, they have secrets and weaknesses and others often seek to expose them or exploit them. I do also like the idea of the galaxy harbouring a mistrust of force users and/or Luke living in self-imposed exile, meditating on the nature of the Force, communing with Yoda or Obi-Wan ghosts, perhaps.

13. TheManFromMortis

TheManFromMortis Jedi Master star 3

Nov 19, 2012
    _ _ _ _

Unless this has been in development for a long time and a lot of the work has been done, I just can't imagine that there's enough time between now and the scheduled release of Episode VII to create and produce an entirely new animated series. It's April 2013 now. We could be only just over two years away from Episode VII's release. It sounds rather tight to me.

14. Corax78

Jun 2, 2008
    True. But I'm really thinking that if this is legitimate Luke won't have a child of his own by the time of the sequels. As a fan of the EU that potential let's me down. But as a fan of the Saga for as long as I can remember, I'm more excited that we are getting the actual Sequel Trilogy. So ultimately if everything from the EU is scrapped I don't really care, I just want new movies.

I know that there is a very vocal segment of the fandom that doesn't want anything left out from the EU, but when you take in to account the shear number of Star Wars fans that segment becomes very small. The average movie fan doesn't want to read every single novel so they can understand what's going on in the movie.

For the most part everything will be fresh and new for the movies, and I expect the new cartoon to work under the same rules. We've had twenty years of novels and comics to help feed our need for Star Wars, but it's absolutely foolish to think that every single person who has seen the movies have read the novels and comics.

With things that Disney has changed and canceled already I think too many EU fans are deluding themselves if they think Disney will keep the Post-Jedi EU to make movies for a very tiny movie going demographic.

15. Corax78

Jun 2, 2008
    Well the OP on IMDb said they started this early last year and by November they seemed to have quite a bit of the background done. The other thing to look at is that if Disney is going to make this show, or any show for that matter, they could already be working on it right now. A few, if not several episodes, could already be finished.

What I fear is that too many people are taking what the higher ups at the word. Rene Force Radio claims they had the scoop on Filoni working on the new cartoon. Well I remember reading an article with a Disney exec already saying that both Filoni and Kathleen Kennedy were working on it. A lot of these answers are smoke and mirrors folks, it's been that way since AICN started breaking stories for TPM.

TheManFromMortis likes this.
  16. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Time is short between the movies stated release and now. However the announcement of the new animated series came out as the CW staff got canned. So if this tv show is to air before episode VII the odds of it being a bridge between episode VI and VII is huge, further more due to the lack of time it does imply EU adapation to speed thinhs up, since plots and characters are there prime for being pulled into a tv show along with plently of new plots too.

Further more starting by adapting the early EU but slowly branch away from it to episode VII would give the staff time to acclamte to the new series (both graphically, story wise, and character wise) say during season 1 but then start branching away from the EU towards episode VII during the next two seasons. So season 1 buys them time to plan how to adapt it and test the waters with stuff, while season 2 on will take those to the next level. Starting off with something like this "Shade" thing and replaying droid rebellion is a bit to radical and could easily antagonize all the EU and Clone War fans, a core audience they cant lose... and if the rating of any show before episode VII flops it willlikely hurt opening weekend of episode VII via bad press.

TheManFromMortis likes this.
  17. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    I hear you and the truth is, I'm just happy to get the films, too. In fact, I'm not an EU purist by any stretch, and the reason at the core of my desire for Luke to have a son actually has nothing to do with the EU at all (though I do think it would be nice to take advantage of characters already established and the fact that it would mean something to those who are hardcore EU fans is nice).

No, for me, I want Luke to have a son who will play the role of ST protagonist strictly because I want to see the continuation of the Skywalker father/son theme. As a continuation of the Skywalker saga, I want to see certain traditions from from I-VI carry over to the ST, and this is the one thread between the Star Wars films which has meant more to me than any other.

Besides, I know some disagree (I don't think there's a single thing SW fans are 100% united on), but I don't see any reason whatsoever that Luke couldn't have a child. If Han and Leia can have kids, why not Luke and if he does have a child, why not a son? After his dealings with his father, I think Luke will see that family attachments can be used for good just as easily as not and I don't think his entire life will be in service to building the NJO, without at least the chance at falling in love. That's my take on it.

18. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I don't see this happening frankly.

19. Corax78

Jun 2, 2008
    TreborSabreon I completely agree about the father/son theme carrying on. I would love to see that happen.

20. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    I've never liked the 'celibate Jedi hero' idea. George himself seemed to latch onto that idea in his few on-record remarks about what little he'd thought about what happened after Return of the Jedi, and it makes no sense. "Celibate Jedi" only makes sense from a PT/TCW Jedi perspective--it's frowned upon in the old order. No attachments, etc. But the old order failed, for a number of reasons... if Anakin had had a healthier outlook on attachments, hadn't been so obsessed & fearful, his relationship may have gone better. But likewise, if the Jedi hadn't been so strict, Anakin wouldn't have been so fearful of being kicked out over it.

In any case, Yoda & Obi-Wan never told Luke, on-screen, anything about attachments--besides that his friends were being made to suffer because of him. And THAT was only because of the involvement of Vader. Luke's attachment to the good in his father, and vice-versa, is what saved Anakin & saved Luke's life. Yoda tells him the Force is strong in his family, so he should pass on what he's learned. Partly he's telling Luke to pass it on to his sister... but I think it's also 'permission' to go ahead & have a family of his own. Luke faced the dark side & won, he KNOWS how to control his emotions, and where his father went wrong (especially if he gets to chat with his ghost in the months/years following ROTJ)... Luke would probably want to start a family, and eventually pass on that knowledge to his children. It seems the natural thing to do... not adhere to old Jedi dogma that didn't do anyone any good in the first place.

If this 'series bible' idea turned out to be true, the Shade could be a network of individuals, not just Luke... Luke could be off raising a kid, guiding some students as other Shades in their actions against the Republic & Empire. And when EpVII rolls around, it's revealed that his son and/or daughter is now in their late teens, early 20s, ready to take up the mantle of hero of the new trilogy.

Vastor and TreborSabreon like this.
  21. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    I don't like this phrase people are using. The self-replicating droids that may have something to do with the Force aren't fighting against their own government; there is nothing that says in the draft that the droids had masters that were Republic or Loyalist citizens. Heck, they probably have their own government or ruler. In addition, it seems a bit close-minded to think of them as simply droids because for all we know, they could be shooting astromechs and butler droids every where they go. They may even call themselves something different. The antagonist of the series, if anything in the draft is true, could be a different type or race of droids that aren't intending to remake the galaxy into a haven free of organics; the goal could be more unique.

22. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    Actually, I think a droid rebellion of sorts can be a compelling plotline if executed properly. Even make the audience empathize with the droids that were oppressed by their organic masters, particularly during the OT era, where the vast majority of droids were mistreated and sold like slaves. Many of the droids of the SW universe have shown self-awareness and sentience. Do you truly believe many of the more intelligent or semi-sentient droids haven't thought about rebellion at some point? It would give us a threat quite different from the Empire or the Sith. I'm thinking they can even reference IG-88's 'Droid Revolution' in some way; it'd be especially amusing if these dark droids physically resemble IG-88. An army of insidious and ruthless assassin droids emerging from the shadows, out to exterminate organic life.

But as I mentioned before in the LACWAC thread on the topic, I don't see this storyline happening, even though it's quite interesting to explore. Someone or something sinister is likely behind this dread force, and I imagine the major villain(s) will be an organic character. I wouldn't mind this storyline either if it is convincing and well written.

23. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    You misinterpreted what I said. I wasn't saying that a droid rebellion storyline wouldn't be engaging to the audience, I was criticizing the people coming to the conclusion that the threat was a droid rebellion. For all we know, these droids could have their own organic masters or perhaps they simply want to take over Coruscant and have a place to call their own in the galaxy(and not some dark dirty place like 1313) sans any vengeance against organics. Perhaps they were programed by an ancient race of Coruscant long past to drive off any perceived foreigners. None of these scenarios count as a "rebellion" since the draft doesn't mention the dark droids being under the command of any Republic or Imperial master before they started attacking. It can only be a rebellion if its an armed resistance against their rulers or government. The draft doesn't mention them even having masters, therefore who are they rebelling against? You see, I'm not saying the "droid rebellion" storyline isn't possible, I'm simply saying that we can't jump towards conclusions about there being a droid rebellion.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  24. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    InterestingLurker

You make some good points for a narrative that doesn't revolve around a droid rebellion. These mysterious droids may have been left behind by an ancient race (perhaps the Rakatan Infinite Empire?), so they may even predate the rise of humanity in the GFFA following the introduction of the hyperdrive and the birth of the Galactic Republic. A nice tie-in for fans of the EU of the Old Republic and earlier periods. In that case, the droids are a legacy of the Abusive Precursors that ruled the galaxy eons before the PT era. I happen to like this idea as well, as I'm a sucker for the Abusive Precursors/Old Gods/Eldritch Abominations trope. These droids thus may not need a particularly convincing motivation, they might simply have been programmed by an ancient race as protectors and then (accidentally?) awoken by the Mandalorian character, Manco.

25. fishtailsam

fishtailsam Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    Not sure if I like this idea

Or am so starved for Star Wars, I'll take anything.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.