main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Luke Skywalker & the training of a Jedi

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by JediMaster34, May 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediMaster34

JediMaster34 Jedi Youngling

May 28, 2005
    This is my first post on these boards so forgive me if this question was ever asked in previous months or years.

I understand that Luke has "Anakin's bloodline" and "Skywalker genes", but how was his training "nearly complete" at the beginning of ROTJ?

He trained with Obi-Wan for only a few weeks tops and then maybe several months with Yoda. He may have practiced for several months to a year between Empire & Jedi, but how did he become so powerful with so little formal training?

Remember, even Anakin was trained from age 8 until his early to mid twenties. That's roughly 15 years for Anakin and only a few for Luke!

This has been bugging me since Jedi came out in 1983. I would really appreciate any insightful and informative theories. AGAIN - I'm looking for something deeper than "Heck, he's a Skywalker". Thanks kindly for any help.

2. LittleGreenManYoda

LittleGreenManYoda Jedi Youngling star 3

May 26, 2005
    I believe in the jedi council they train children at a very young age so they can learn to control their base emotions and feelings so they wont turn to the darkside. An adult like Luke dosnt have they training he could of very eaisly turned to the darkside and join sidous and vador.

But an adult can learn quicker than a child simply because they have a wider understanding and more or less think outside the box, witch and turn they can pick up skills and force understanding better than a child just because they are more machure about it.

3. JediMaster34

JediMaster34 Jedi Youngling

May 28, 2005
    Anybody else out there? Bueller? Bueller?

Thanks for any insight....

4. JR77

JR77 Jedi Youngling

May 24, 2005
    I've always kind of wondered about this. But what I've finally decided to believe is that Luke must have went back and trained with Yoda and Ghost Obiwan for maybe up to a year in between ESB and ROTJ. I can't remember anything that would suggest he didn't, except for Luke's "promise to keep to an old friend", to return to Dagoba to finish his training. But we only assume he's referring to when he left in ESB to rescue the gang in Cloud City. He could have gone back after he got his new hand and resumed his training, only to leave when he felt the time was right to go rescue Han, and making a similar promise that he would come back again before he went to confront Vader agin. This gives him up to a year of very intensive and focused training from the two best jedi in history.

5. Qor-Aman_Zen

Qor-Aman_Zen Jedi Youngling

May 29, 2005
    Luke pretty much got a crash course in the Jedi arts. Fortunately for him, he was a natural prodigy to The Force, so he got away with it.

Even a padawan learner is miles ahead of most non Force-Adepts, explaining how Luke managed to chop up most of Jabba's entourage. It could be reasoned that Vader was going easy on Luke for not wanting to kill his son, and that the Emperor felt no need to do anything but zap him with Force Lightning from the distance.

So in closing, I think Luke in the OT is a novice learner, with a strong natural potential and a lack of dangerous enemies strong in the force. He refines his training and grows as a Jedi after Return of the Jedi, I think.

6. classified

classified Jedi Master star 4

May 24, 2005
    I have also thought about this a lot. But the answer you dont want, is the actual answer.

Remember, with no training Anakin managed to read the images that were on Mace Windu's screen thing. This shows an amazing ability to use the force with no prior training. And remember the secont time Luke picked up his lightsaber, and managing to deflect the shots from that hovering thing with eyes shut. NO wonder he could manage to get trained to be so good in such a shot time. Maybe midichlorian scale is like thr richtor scale where each step is ten times more powerfull that the step before.

7. That_Random_Jedi

That_Random_Jedi Jedi Master star 3

May 14, 2005
    Yoda's a darn good teacher, and having a natural aptitude sure can't hurt. And how much time does Luke spend on Dagobah? I heard the Millennium Falcon took at least THREE FRICKEN MONTHS to reach Bespin at sublight speed.

8. Darth_Ares-Lido

Darth_Ares-Lido Jedi Youngling star 1

May 31, 2005
    This is an EU question. I believe there are some comic books the occur between ESB and ROTJ.

9. ClonedEmperor

ClonedEmperor Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 12, 2005
    Yeah, he doesnt get much trainign between (IN Marvel comics) but he does get some in jumping, force telepathy (pushes a star destroyer enough that it goes into a black hole [or it might be he controlled one of their minds to hit the wrong control] lightsaber combat, and a little more

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.