main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Luke Skywalker's New (or Old) Jedi Order?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Dra---, Aug 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009
    If there can be "lightsabre overload", can there be "alien overload"? "Spaceship overload"? "Blaster overload"?

As Qui-Riv-Brid and darth-sinister point out - Jedi use lightsabres ( if you had one, wouldn't you use it all the time ;) )

And where is the overuse anyway?

In the fight with Jango, Obi-Wan uses it to block blaster fire and then it is dropped in favour of fisticuffs. Lucas also removed it from the final fight with Grievous which also because a fist fight.

2. LongHairedAussieGuy

LongHairedAussieGuy Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 28, 2014
    Luke should pretty much abandon everything the Jedi Order of the PT did. The way the Jedi ran the order in the PT era was also another reason for its downfall. It will all change with how his character develops by the end of the new movie. By the second and third ST movie we will have a better idea how they will do this. If they actually go for a new Jedi order that is

Toonimator, Dra--- and darklordoftech like this.
  3. SgtTimBob

SgtTimBob Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 5, 2014
    I imagine by the end of the trilogy there will be some sort of Jedi Order re-established, but it will be very different from what we saw in the PT. Probably not located on Corouscant, but on some remote world (Dagobah, Yavin IV, or something similar?).

Dra--- likes this.
  4. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

I'm certain that the Jedi as an "organization" is not the form that the "new" Jedi will take.

Luke will train Jedi, who will head off and live their own lives and train others in turn.

They won't be at the beck and call of one particular government or be a law enforcement agency, but rather use their powers to help the helpless and maintain peace and justice.

More like wandering samurai - righting wrongs and fighting the good fight. They'll cross paths now and again and when their is a major emergency, they'll join forces (like the Avengers or The Magnificent Seven for example).

No rules against families, etc. or maybe no rules at all - a code of honour though, which isn't the same thing as rules.

5. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    That's pretty much how I envisage a new 'Order' should become. Oddly enough, it's kinda how I'd hoped the Jedi would be portrayed in the prequels. No monk robes, no rules against attachment etc. A band of Jedi. Each doing their own separate thing, wandering across the galaxy getting into adventures.

Toonimator, Revanfan1, Dra--- and 3 others like this.
  6. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    I really hope this is the direction of the new ST and I would love this. Especially independent Jedi from any government, who cannot be used by corrupted politicians.

7. MillionthVoice

MillionthVoice Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    About untrained Force users; what we see in the films is that you need to have actual training to do anything with the Force, beyond doing ordinary things really well (and having exceptionall reflexes).
    So the self styled super hero thing doesn't really jibe with what we've seen up til now.

Maybe they will want something else for the film, but that's the current state of it. No flashy telekinesis or mind tricks or lightning until someone else who is trained 'awakes' you.

Hoggsquattle likes this.
  8. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    Thinking of it, Episodes 1 and IV could've also been titled 'The Force Awakens.

Force Smuggler and Hoggsquattle like this.
  9. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

I thought so too but Lucas made the right choice because now we may get to see that version and it good that it won't be version we have seen on screen before ;)

Yes, as student/teacher relationship is vital - all previous movies and TV shows make it clear. For example, even after three years, Luke can barely Force Grab his lightsabre.

MillionthVoice and Jcuk like this.
  10. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    It's the numbers game isn't it? We can presume that by the time of ANH most of the existing Jedi had been taken care of by Order 66 and the Purge but there are Force Users being born all the time. A very rough estimate would see about 125 born every year in the area formerly controlled by the Republic. Double that for the Outer Rim and other areas of the Galaxy and there could well be 7,500 Force Users, ranging in age from new born to 30, by the time of TFA. If only 5% are detected and agree to join the cause (I'm presuming that the Empire will conscript and the Alliance will leave the decision to the Parents) then I could see where each faction has somewhere between 20 and 60 Force Users of fighting age.

This would fit in with a squad of Imperial Super Commandos and likewise for the Alliance - Force Users, not fully aligned with the practices of the Jedi or the Sith but fighting for their 'side'.

11. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    I like the idea of both sides possessing an elite squad of Force users. But how would such users have attuned their abilities? If they are neither Jedi or Sith, who has aided them in realising their Force potential? They must've needed someone trained with the Force to guide them. I'm presuming.

12. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

I like idea of the Dark Siders outnumbering the Jedi this time around.

Who would train the Dark Siders? A former Jedi who escaped the Purge, a post-RotJ Padawan of Luke's or some new from beyond Known Space.

Only options I think of just now.

I'm hoping for more cutting through blast doors with a lightsabre and as a climbing tool. Also for someone to throw it like a boomerang or control it in air and take out a few opponents.

Would love to see Luke dodging blasters bolts, not Matrix-style though, something like Kanan does in Spark of Rebellion, but different :p

Jcuk likes this.
  13. CrazyOldJedi

Oct 29, 2000
    I'm not sure that the Imperials would even use the Dark Side per se. I would hazard a guess that both sides are on an equal footing with the restrictions of the Jedi Code removed and the Sith all but forgotten.

Jcuk likes this.
  14. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

The Dark Siders and Imperials could even be two different factions.

plaidphoenix likes this.
  15. CrazyOldJedi

Oct 29, 2000

Indeed, 'Jedi' working for the Alliance, Force using Elites for the Imperials and wannabe Siths. Perhaps the real danger (revealed at the end of TFA) is the rise of the true Sith?

16. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    Episode VIII: Rise of the Sith, The Darkside Rises, A Darkness Reborn? (All rubbish, I know ;)

17. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

Episode VII - The Dark Side Oversleeps :p

nightangel and Jcuk like this.
  18. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    I agree with those that feel that the establishment of the New Jedi Order should be/will be seen on screen and as part of the boon or elixir in the Hero's Journey story in the ST. Coupled with the establishment of the New Republic, of course.

Mystery Roach and Dra--- like this.
  19. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

That sounds great–but maybe have like a meeting place where they can come and convene with other Jedi occasionally, too? Not necessarily a temple, but maybe some kind of enclave or something. I really do like your idea, though.

Hoggsquattle likes this.
  20. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    Ah, let's not fall into a reductio ad absurdum argument, folks. Once you assume a Force user can only be trained by a Jedi or Sith, you run into the absurd consequence of it being impossible for Jedi or Sith to have ever existed at all because you would always (absurdly) need another Jedi or Sith to have already existed.

So since Jedi and Sith did come into existence at some point, you have to assume some other way of them coming into existence. Those other ways include (but are not limited to):

1) Non-Force users with enough knowledge of the Force they are able to train Force users (could include the military, intelligence people, historians of the Force, warriors)

2) A Force adept with some ability who is able to use their partial ability well enough to think of training methods for others, even if they themselves can't seem to develop their own powers much. More of a thinker rather than a doer. Possibly more knowledge of the Force than natural ability.

3) A Force user of such strong natural ability that it just comes naturally to them at first, and then once they recognize certain abilities, like Spiderman, begin to practice them on their own.

4) A Force user discovers written knowledge of training instruction.

But you get it. There can be many ways for a Force user to begin developing their powers. We see this in Rebels when Ezra is already using the Force despite not being trained yet.

The idea that only a Jedi or Sith can train other Force users leads to obvious absurd consequences; hence, it can't be true.

plaidphoenix likes this.
  21. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

Yes, but nothing as grandiose as a temple.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  22. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013

Agreed. Definitely.

Hoggsquattle likes this.
  23. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

And since the Jedi will no longer be government funded (which I think was the case prior to the Purge), the Jedi will need to get jobs - as well as saving people ;)

Maybe that is why Daisy Ridley's character is "living" in the junkyard - she and Luke are earning money as scrap dealers or mechanics. :)

Revanfan1 likes this.
  24. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    That's a possibility I hadn't considered–Daisy already being a Jedi even though she's working as a junker.

25. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    If this would be true, why we don't have a lot of force users at ANH and all are waiting for Luke to be trained? And between ANH and ESB, Luke was barely able to use any force abilities, before he met Yoda. When they go now for a different route and away of the master/apprentice concept, it contradicts the original vision.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.