main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Luke Skywalker's New (or Old) Jedi Order?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Dra---, Aug 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Yes, Luke does know that he is flawed, but he should strive to keep the Jedi Order on the right path, especially as its new founder. I don't think he'd be arrogant, I don't even think he'd say he was wiser than them. But who's to say that they weren't blinded by something–power, maybe? Luke, the humble farmboy and Jedi Knight, wouldn't be blinded by power and could give them a good smack upside the head when he sees them going wrong, because he taught them. You'd hope the Jedi Luke taught would be smart enough to see past any deception, but then what is Luke there for? He should be their guide, their wise instructor, the man who keeps them on the straight and narrow.

2. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    So Luke is the only one who wouldn't be blinded by power or something else, the exalted one? He is beyond such petty feelings? He is the only one who truly sees and knows? The only pure one? :rolleyes:

What you are describing is still a "benevolent" dictator/god and I am still not sure why Luke of all people would believe in that. He has spent years fighting for freedom and equality and when it comes to his own order he suddenly forgets all about that?

You know what I think? I think you cling to much to the EU depiction of the new order where Luke is in fact a benevolent dictator, a "grand" master whose voice is more important than that of everyone else. But have you considered that this depiction might be out of character for him?

3. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Not necessarily. I'm sure others could see it. I'm just speculating for reasons he might need such a power to overrule the Council.

I definitely don't want Luke to be a dictator and I definitely think he'd be the type to sit back and let the Council make most of the decisions unless he absolutely had to, after which he'd step in and the Council would listen to him.

Nah, I just see Luke as the type who leads, but not out of desire, out of necessity. He would, again, let the Council do as they wished unless he found something severely wrong with their decisions. In that case, someone would have to make sure they didn't do something wrong; why can't it be Luke? I definitely don't like quite a bit of LOTF-FOTJ's depiction of Luke, but also I think that they should depict the Jedi Council as beings who can actually make a karking decision without bickering like children. I am sure the ST will depict them far better.

4. HanJones

HanJones Jedi Master star 2

Nov 26, 2002
    Excellent idea and one I have touted since seeing the end of TCW. It would certainly make a lot of sense and be a nice tie-in to have Ahsoka play this role.

5. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Am I talking to a wall? Don't you understand that Luke having total veto rights means he has total power over the order, something he never really desired to have? If he doesn't abuse his power that makes him a nice dictator but he would still be a dictator nonetheless. Instead of fellow Jedi he would have fellow slaves because they have no real power. Nicely treated slaves but still slaves.

A democratic Jedi order wouldn't need to be shown bickering either. I would think Jedi should have more self-discipline than that.

Dra--- likes this.
  6. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    [face_not_talking]

KSkywalker, Trebor Sabreon and Dra--- like this.
  7. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    No, I do understand, I just have a different opinion. It wouldn't make him a dictator, because he'd likely never use it. It would really be an emergency power, nothing more. I think that Luke wouldn't accept such a power until the situation called for it, and reluctantly even then. And then he'd give it up, too, when it wasn't needed. The Council would have full power. And yes, they should have more self-discipline than to bicker, like the old Jedi Council did, and I'd hope they would. Really, this won't be a problem as long as the Jedi are written as adults and not as bickering children like Denning wrote them.

8. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Emergency powers like Palpatine? What if there is a heated situation and Luke is wrong? You are still acting from the assumption that Luke is somehow better than his fellow Jedi.

The "council" also can't have full power when one mans vote can overrule it. That's the opposite of full power.

And how is decided who sits on the council? The council itself, which would result in corruption? Or is there an election? Or does Luke chose? Or is it handled so that every full fledged Jedi becomes part of the council automatically?

9. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    With all this "Power talk" I'm real tempted to crank out the "Game of Thrones" quotes about Power.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  10. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    True, you've got a point there. But the thing is, Luke has already overcome his dark side trial. He shouldn't have that problem again (it's why I dislike Dark Empire so much). He should be a kind of moral compass for the Jedi.

As to who decides who sits on the Council, that's a very good question. Obviously if every full fledged Jedi is on the Council then you have a Council of fifty and twenty-five or thirty apprentices, and that's it. Bad idea. I don't think the Council choosing would result in corruption because the Council could kind of consult the Force before electing anyone. Maybe when the Council starts Luke chooses the Jedi the Force tells him are worthy of the position, or something. It's a very difficult question to answer, though.

Darth PJ likes this.
  11. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    The dark side is not the only threat to a Jedi's mind. And even then no Jedi is 100% safe from the dark side, even if a Jedi like Luke will have more resistance to it than someone who wasn't tested.

Depends on the size of the order. Apprentices are no full-fledged Jedi as well. They of course wouldn't sit on the council.

The OJO was corrupted though. Consulting into the force doesn't seem to stem off corruption.

12. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Or even just SW quotes about power:
    Palpatine: "He became so powerful... that the only thing he was afraid of was losing his power..."

BigAl6ft6 and Darth Claire like this.
  13. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    True, there are other threats to the Jedi besides the dark side.

No, I meant there'd be the Council, and the apprentices. That's it. It wouldn't work too well, I think.

Yes, no one's doubting the OJO was corrupted. How would you have the Jedi choose the Council, then? Not have a Council at all? Your views on the Jedi seem very similar to those of Jacen Solo in Vector Prime.

14. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    Did'n
    Weren't Mace and Yoda more equal than other members of the council? It was my assumption that in the prequels, although not explicit, Mace and Yoda seemed to have more seniority.

15. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Indeed.

@ Revanfan1
    Simple election. If someone thinks a Jedi should sit on the council he meditates on the question and then raises his hand. This might create some competition though. But competition also exists in dictatorships.

Another option would be to have a lot of different little Jedi orders. They are more localized and decentralized. Every couple years they meet to discuss galactic matters.

Another option would be wandering Jedi. A knight and his padawan wander the galaxy and do good, independently of the other Jedi. They're only responsible for themselves. If someone falls they are hunted down by another Jedi duo. This is quite OT-like.

Can't think of any more at the moment.

16. Granek

Granek Jedi Master star 4

Jan 12, 2012
    1- I think the Jedi will be part of the Republic simply because they'd need funding and material. Luke isn't rich, Leia is 'rich' but rich enough to fund and entire order? Ships, fuel, space for training etc.. perhaps Lando helps out?

2- I like how Lukes EU Order does it and it seems to be working well; if you go by the Legacy Comics Kol Skywalker's Jedi are the 3-4th Generation from Luke's Jedi and they seem fine so that can work

3- YES although a 'presence ' in the senate is very important simply because of recent history(Palpatine). Tattooine is sooo overused. I'd rather a new planet entirely or even the Wookie Homeworld would work.

4- Keep most of Luke's current EU, after reading the Thrawn Trilogy after so long a time and reading all of the current EU, it was refreshing seeing a young Luke, newly Knighted having doubts about himself, the future of the order and how to train Jedi moving forward. How he is concerned about Leia's children and whether or not the future Jedi should marry and procreate.

17. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    That would be nice, I think.

18. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Any of those would be good ideas. The third option, I think would be good, but they have an Academy or Temple to meet up at every so often, like in your second option. Whatever they do will pretty much be okay with me.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  19. JediKnightOB1

JediKnightOB1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 26, 2003
    Luke is the only Jedi after RotJ, I don't see how the old Jedi Order would even apply. Just sayin'.

20. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    You don't think Luke will find any information or history about the old order? It was around so long, I find it hard to believe he couldn't learn about how they used to run things and consider those possibilities.

21. JediKnightOB1

JediKnightOB1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 26, 2003
    Not saying that, I'm saying that since he is the only one, all of that information would do little good if he has no one to teach it to. I also thought that during Order 66 all of that information was destroyed. That's a 20+ years difference in time from RotS to ANH and 30+ years difference from RotS to RotJ. Any and all information would be destroyed by the Empire.

22. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012

Maybe I'm forgetting, in what scene in the movie was all the information about the Jedi in the galaxy destroyed? Also, let's assume Luke is really the last Jedi; he can still find out about how to run a Jedi order from Yoda and Obi-Wan, as well as Anakin.

And are you really saying Luke will have no new Jedi to teach Jediing to? What will the ST be about then?

Edit: Forget ghosts. Luke learned straight from Yoda in ESB and ROTJ. I assume Yoda meant something about a Jedi Order when he said pass on what you have learned?

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  23. Sith-Mullet

Sith-Mullet Jedi Master star 3

Aug 2, 2003
    I bet that Luke will train his children and the Solo children and that kid who was a friend of Anakin, his grandchildren, yeah, that would be pretty Wizard!!! ;)

Immortiss and Dra--- like this.
  24. Jedirush2112

Jedirush2112 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2013
    I agree. I wouldn't mind if a very old Ahsoka tano would make a brief appearance in Epsiode VII! She could sit down a have a heart to heart with Luke about his father and the Jedi Order.

Dra--- likes this.
  25. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    As I mentioned in a different thread, it is against the Empire's interest to destroy the information about the Jedi. They might lock it down tightly, Palpatine might keep it in his "personal archives" or something along those lines, but destroying information about your deadliest enemy that can potentially be of use sometime in the future is simply a bad decision. I don't think Palpatine would be stupid enough to outright dismiss and destroy such a valuable trove of knowledge and information that can come useful if the Jedi were ever to pose a threat again. His swift action against the Jedi in ROTS illustrates just how seriously he takes them as an enemy. I very much doubt that someone who is the master of planning and manipulation and scheming would just destroy all information about the biggest threat to his reign.
    The public image of the Jedi might be distorted, their heroic exploits perverted to seem like nefarious schemes, the general information available to the public might as well be destroyed - but the truly important things (like holocrons, the Jedi Archives, etc.) I very much doubt Palpatine would just wipe it out.
    He might hate and despise the Jedi, but he does not underestimate them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.