main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Luke Skywalker's New (or Old) Jedi Order?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Dra---, Aug 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Han Yolo

Han Yolo Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 7, 2013

There is a 0% chance they bring back Samuel L.

Take it to that bank. and I for one am glad, they guy is not a great actor. Plus he is Fury now in the whole Marvel universe, they wont interchange the two.

EviL_eLF and C Creepio like this.
  2. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    DarkGingerJedi

Quiet. Plus, Luke probably has no knowledge of the old Order and it is highly doubtful he'll recreate a mirror image of the original. And it is wishful thinking if the scrolling open text starts "30 years after the Galactic Civil War, Jedi Grand Master Luke Skywalker.."

EviL_eLF likes this.
  3. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    I think Luke will be the Qui-Gon of this film, and Boyega will be his Obi-Wan. They've been training together for a while, but no Order exists yet. Meanwhile, Leia has learned to use the Force and has begun the training of her daughter, but didn't compete it before being captured. The Order begins to take shape when Ridley seeks out Luke and Boyega and continues her training, while at the same time Luke meets up with his son and begins his training as well. Add "Rachel" into the mix at some point along the way, and it begins to grow until it becomes an institution again at the end of the ST.

4. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    I don't think it sounds Spider-man or Batman movie at all. And I didn't really say anything about Heroes being rejected. And I certainly didn't say it wouldn't be some pure adventure, dealing with just our little group. Or some deep introspective indie movie.

More like...at the beginning of the ST the Force Users are still not trusted. The Galaxy probably doesn't really know about the Sith, and to be honest...probably doesn't care enough to make the distinction. Maybe, they'd have the mindset of how Han thought. Weird old religion, hokey, nonsense. While you're right, we've never been really given a Public View on things in the movies, we can see the impact of events across the large stage. The Galaxy went thru a series of events where the Jedi ordered a bunch of clones, fought in wars, became traitors, were destroyed except for one, Mr. Darth Vader, who's terrifying, and there's a pesky evil Empire in it's place now blowing up planets. Finally that gets destroyed too. Maybe the Galaxy doesn't want anything to do with Force Users anymore.

What I'm saying is, that it would be Luke spent the first decade after RotJ helping to destroy the remaining pockets of the Empire. After that, perhaps he's been in quiet self-imposed exile, much like Obi-wan. He's quietly lived a life learning about the Force. Maybe takes on one apprentice. I see him as an anti-Palpatine, so in my mind, he's secretly carrying forth a long term plan to rebuild things amongst the distrust and discord that exists in the Galaxy due to the Fall of the Empire. Maybe Ep 7 takes place where our main group get into trouble, run into a new Enemy that's taking over the Galaxy and at the same time, runs into Luke and his secret plan. It's the first time anyone has witnessed a Jedi in action in decades. They come off saving the main group and it feels completely mysterious, exciting, and fresh.

By EP 8, the story deepens. Luke then takes on 12 apprentices. A dozen... so that the Council can be formed at some later date. But no more than that. Imagine a scene where 12 individuals feel the call from all corners of the Galaxy and come to Luke to be trained. Meanwhile the Main Enemy is doing doing really bad stuff. There's a sense that Luke and his apprentices better get going. It's a rush, but Luke is still calm. Still putting his plan into action.

And by Jedi 'saving the day', I mean...that finally by Ep 9, Luke has, at most, a dozen or so Jedi Knights who battle against the main PT Enemy, maybe free the slaves or something, finally reveal themselves completely and publicly and the Galaxy trusts them again.

TheFoot and CheelBackFromTheDead like this.
  5. Granek

Granek Jedi Master star 4

Jan 12, 2012
    like the Franchise has had a plethora of 'great actors' *cough* Haden *cough*..[face_shame_on_you] Mark Hammil being such a thespian an all, not....I'm looking at this as a money grab... Disney wants to make bank, Samuel Jackson brings the 'cool' factor that the young crowd likes..and will increase ticket sales... Also it would be a neat tie to the Jedi prior to the Purge, and allow Luke to grow the Order with help from a true Jedi Master, again i'm hoping that Max plays a Jedi that survived 66 for this season reason.... if Luke has an established Order 100-200 strong it will be much more believable that he's had help than him doing all on his own..

in regards to the crimson bolded above..

hmm just like Christopher Lee in LoTR and Star Wars right?

6. Granek

Granek Jedi Master star 4

Jan 12, 2012

this makes more sense, sorta like what is going to happen with the new Transformers movie, the government makes new toys, weapons and decided the Autobots are not longer needed... Segway to EPVII, the senate figures that all the past wars were due to Force sensitive factions with differences in opinions... to the layman throughout the galaxy Sith<=>Jedi, especially those that are still around to remember the clone wars and/or the Rebellion.

7. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Star Wars to me first and foremost is Rebellion against the Empire or good vs evil or the underdog against the man.
    Nothing wrong with Jedi vs. Sith but the PT was way to Jedi heavy. More Jedi than in the OT but less than in the PT. Need a happy medium.

8. Bluefox

Bluefox Jedi Knight

Nov 1, 2013
    I think (and hope!) that the people wanting to see things like Jedi councils and huge Jedi battles such as in attack of the clones are going to be disappointed by these new films. I think the film makers are definitely going for something to appeal to fans of the OT, and they'll dispense with that stuff. It's only fair really, prequel fans have had years of new content to enjoy with the clone wars tv show, it's time for something new for the rest of us!

9. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I expect there to be ancient Sith War movies full of Jedi and Sith Armies just not here.

10. CheelBackFromTheDead

CheelBackFromTheDead Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 4, 2012
    I'm glad to see some of us agree that a Jedi Order is not the coolest idea at all from a star wars movie standpoint. The OT is the only reference for the ST I'm sure, and it was about many different kinds of people, with their own flaws and qualities, having to overcome their difficulties together. Not a bunch of invincible boy scouts . Honestly I can hardly remember any noticeable Jedi from Ep 2 & 3 outside of the council. Haven't watched them in a while but still.

And don't try to fit an out of shape Mark Hamill in wild speculations that lead nowhere. He'll have a minor role. He is no warrior. Let's be grateful we even have him and not project too many fantasies, unless you absolutely have to. The movies are about a bunch of new kids. Not Luke, not the image of the Jedi in the public's eye. Peace in the galaxy will be brought by blowing a huge thing up, not by convincing the senate. And certainly not with subplots of dozens of Jedi training in secret. It's not LOTR. It's SW : 6 main characters, a villain, tons of fun supporting characters and a not so complicated plot. His role will be as big as Guinness' in Jedi. Honestly, they are NOT putting that face on screen for a long amount of time. As much as I love Mark, the movie needs to convince us it's gonna be nothing short of epic. We aren't gonna spend 30 minutes catching up with old Luke and Leia. It's gonna go fast as hell because they look old and we're not here to watch old people, but exciting adventures.

TheFoot, Darth_Pevra and DanielUK like this.
  11. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004

quoted (for the 2nd time) from another thread. A new order using the concept above would be cool.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  12. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    I have to confess, the Jedi Order disappointed me the most in the PT. The OT presented the Jedi as a mystical order, almost clandestine - not this body of grandeur in the PT. ESB, to me, painted Yoda, Obi-Wan and Anakin as being part of an inner circle; thought Yoda was the only Jedi Master. But having numerous younglings, padawans, Jedi Knights and Master really bugged me.

Really hope the ST learns from the mistakes of the PT and do not rebuild the Jedi Order as a bureaucratic body.

13. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    If there's a Jedi schism, I absolutely don't want it to lead to the rebirth of the Sith.

14. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I wonder whether there will be a Jedi Temple (or an equivalent) or the Jedi will be nomadic.

mes520 likes this.
  15. TheFoot

TheFoot Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 5, 2011
    This is quite an old thread and I don't have time to really catch up to it, so apologies if I repeat anything that has came before. Just want to give my thoughts on the subject.

I think the perception of the Jedi from a public, and even political view will be important in the new films as others seem to have mentioned. Take Solo's line for example about not really respecting the Jedi (though he obviously changed his opinion of Luke later on...but I'm not sure that was enough to say 'oh Jedi must all be good then'). Since Palpatine sort of claimed the Jedi were rebelling and used that as his reason for wiping them out, I'd say that public opinion of Jedi might be quite tainted afterward. Sure we all know PERSONALLY that Palpatine was evil and a Sith, but did most of the general public know that about him? I'm sure he ran some convincing smear campaigns to paint the Jedi and their order as old/useless/unneeded in the galaxy, and had like 20 years to beat that into people's heads as the Emperor.

So just because we now have a rebuilt Republic (so we assume...), doesn't mean that people will suddenly be OK with letting the Jedi move back into their massive temple on Coruscant and be granted the immense resources they used to have, being all tight with the highest figures running politics, etc.

I much like the idea that Luke has a very small group of learners to deal with, and teaches them in a remote location, far away from the hustle and bustle of the huge metropolis. People speculate it will be on Tatooine.....I really don't know though. I'd kind of like it to be somewhere else myself, but Luke DOES know Tatooine somewhat well and perhaps it has been liberated from the Hutts. We really don't know at this point.

That may be the BIG difference going forward. The Jedi may start out being sort of....outcast to a degree. Then they will be called upon for help (perhaps not officially, but by someone like Han and Leia's offspring), and Luke will be torn with making the choice of letting his students 'fight' in a war, or have to hunt down dark force users of some kind if that's what the plot dictates.

After all, Yoda taught him that 'a Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack.' Contrast this with how many times the PT Jedi 'attacked' people. Luke will be the wise mentor, and he will take Yoda's words very seriously.

It does make me wonder though, does Luke realize or know the depth of Palpatine's deception and trickery? I mean people say the PT Jedi were doing things wrong and attacking people left and right, but most of those situations were brought on by Palpatine's behind-the-scenes devices he set into motion. He created the war and encouraged the Jedi to participate in it himself, so you could say he pushed them into this state of mind.

At the time of TPM, I don't think the Jedi were really that corrupt. Qui-Gon was a great example of a Jedi who could think for himself, be autonomous, didn't seem so strictly bound by rules, would defy the council if he believed something strong enough. I really loved Qui-Gon...

Luke may be a lot like Qui-Gon, and I would be OK with that. That doesn't mean I want to see him stabbed by a Sith thug though...

16. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    I don't think it was that Solo didn't respect Jedi... he doubted the very existence of the force in general. Obviously, spend enough time with Luke Skywalker, and you will witness not only it's existence, but see how useful it can really be to those who can utilize it.

He knows by the end that it's not all "simple tricks and nonsense" as he originally thought.

17. TheFoot

Dec 5, 2011
    Well I can see it from that angle. But, if you didn't even BELIEVE in the Force, why would you respect Jedi still?

18. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    The same way someone who is Jewish can respect a Catholic Priest.

You judge the person on their actions. If the person deserves respect, they will get it.

BTW - I think the Jedi as a whole will be pretty much forgotten by many in the Galaxy... we're talking a 30yr time-span. The kids who grew up after Order 66 never new a Galaxy with Jedi in it. Only the older generation would remember.

It's like asking someone who was 30 in the 90's about how they thought JFK's term as president went. Other than history books, they couldn't tell you. I doubt the Empire taught much history of the Jedi, if they even mentioned them at all.

19. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Their parents could tell them.
    Except the Empire's legitimacy revolved around the Jedi attempting a coup.

20. TheFoot

Dec 5, 2011
    All valid points and I agree with a lot of it. But, did Han really show much respect for Obi-Wan? 'old fossil' he called him. In the end, I'm sure he respected Obi-Wan himself for his self-sacrifice and all, but he had to know that he was a former Jedi by the time they landed on the Death Star. See what I'm saying? I'd say a lot of people feel the same way around the galaxy.

Add to that the imperial officer's disrespect for Vader and making fun of his 'religion.' Even if the Empire had a 20 year span of not teaching about Jedi though, how could you refute the previous thousands of years of them being around? They might have turned into a legend, but I do think it would be hard to stamp out the idea of them altogether to future generations.

21. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    The legitimacy of getting to the point of an Empire... sure. Beyond that point, all the power belongs to the Emperor himself, and any legitimacy from anyone other than himself no longer matters. It is now a Military controlled Empire, where anyone dissenting is summarily executed.

22. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    It still helps to maintain popular support. I doubt Palpatine wants everyone to join the Rebellion.

23. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    The old fossil comment I think you are taking too literally. Han was a smuggler who lived by his wits and trusted only Chewie. He wasn't going to trust this crackpot old man who led him right into the Death Star... to just "rescue them" while they were just waiting for him to turn off the tractor beam. Han was just mad about having to sit and wait with no control of the outcome.

24. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    Palps was ruling by FEAR not by "being popular".

25. TheFoot

Dec 5, 2011
    Just to clarify and add to this: What I'm saying is Han and the imperial officer who made fun of Vader were obviously aware the Jedi existed and were frowned upon to some extent. Yes, the Emperor probably did his best to turn people against the Jedi, but you can't compare it to a dumb kid who doesn't know anything about World War II for example. Yes, people had to have known the Jedi existed in droves, and 'betrayed the republic' according to Palpatine.

On the other hand you could argue that Luke, being a highly respected Jedi in the alliance, could have tried to undo this in the past 30 years. But that all depends on how political Luke is/wants to be. It's hard to say what sort of positions of power the big 3 might hold in the new films. Guess we'll have to wait and see on that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.