main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Luke Skywalker's New (or Old) Jedi Order?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Dra---, Aug 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    Yeah he did not do well against corran in I' Jedi but was really good fighting Guru in shadows of the empire. Who knows in new nu

2. WriterMan

WriterMan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2012
    To answer the OP:

I think the idea of separating the Jedi from their families is actually a good one. For a Jedi to lead the life they will have to for the Order, they can't be tied down to their roots.

I think their biggest problem was their direct alliance with the Republic. Working with the Republic to improve the galaxy is fine, but completely tying your order to it is not safe. Even Obi-Wan said that politicians were too corrupt to be trusted.

3. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014

Samurai had very strong family roots. Why not the Jedi? Jedi could then take their own children as Padawans and raise them to be Jedi much like the Samurai raised their sons to be Samurai as well. In the case of the Jedi it would be sons and daughters. It would work best if Jedi were encouraged to marry other Jedi. I also think Jedi raised this way would be less likely to fall. Example: had Luke not been Vader's son it's quite possible he would've fallen to the Darkside. One could argue that it was that family connection, and the fact that Luke was raised by family, that gave him the strength he showed when confronting the Emperor. Also, had Anakin been allowed to marry he would've been able to express his fears to Yoda and Obi-wan about losing Padme, and in return would've gotten advice and guidance from his fellow Jedi that might have eased his fears and caused his fall to never have happened.

4. WriterMan

WriterMan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2012

I meant in the case of recruiting Jedi that have parents that are not Jedi. I do think that Jedi having children shouldn't be a problem as long as it's seen as an act of survival and lust or passion.

5. AkshayTheJedi

AkshayTheJedi Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 12, 2013

Right on! Couldn't have said it better!

Rabs likes this.
  6. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    How about Jedi who are not warriors - who train to Use The Force but put their skillset entirely toward other purposes?

darklordoftech likes this.
  7. Luminous Beings Are We

Luminous Beings Are We Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 10, 2014

How about as an act of love? I'm so sick and tired of seeing Jedi who don't act like normal people. I sincerely hope Luke brings that heartfelt "OT attachment" to the Jedi Order.

8. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    If Luke was worried about that, he would have stopped training and left Dagobah.

Jedi aren't normal people. They have to be mindful of attachments because they lead to the dark side. There has to be a balance between having loved ones, but also not letting their fears cloud their judgment.

9. Han Drolo

Han Drolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 9, 2014
    Obviously it's not so cut and dry , assuming he didn't reestablish some sort of foundation for new Jedi, fully organized like the old order or otherwise in the last thirty years , why haven't you unless you had some sort of doubts about continuing the cycle of Jedi which in all likely hood could lead to the birth of new Sith? At least that's the only way I think this "Luke has been away for thirty years, no kids, no new Jedi Order" plot point would work. Because otherwise it's just like the Luke fans say and he's been away for so long in this canon that it means he hasn't accomplished much of anything most would assume he'd have without a reason why. Again, this is just under the assumption all we've heard about Luke's story arc in VII being true.

10. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Or Luke has been training Jedi in secret, but they haven't shown themselves yet. Luke was going to remain on Dagobah until he was ready, but Vader interfered with that. Besides, the rumor is that his friends haven't seen him in a long time, but that he's only been missing a short time.

11. Han Drolo

Han Drolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 9, 2014
    Yea , but we keep getting conflicting reports on that. Three scenarios are likely, 1. Luke left on some sort of quest of enlightenment about 10 years before VII and bumped with the new baddies along the way thus getting captured (maybe on purpose?) 2. Luke was captured by the baddies soon after the events ROTJ. 3. Luke is actually in hiding and started a new secret Jedi Order.

Number three is probably what most of us hope to be the case, but hey we wont know forsure until the first trailer or opening night.

12. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    The conflict most likely stems from two different drafts. The Lucas/Ardnt draft and the Kasdan/Abrams draft. This was common back in the AOTC days, when certain scenes were altered during the reshoots.

13. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    i just want answers darn it!!!

14. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    If the Jedi return, should they serve the Government or the Force?

I always thought that one of the major flaws of the PT Jedi (along with being too detached) was that they were primarily a bureaucracy, another department of the government... some odd combination of the Special Forces, the FBI, the PeaceCorps, and an official state-sponsored religious organization.

Why did the Jedi know about slavery, but decide to do nothing? Because the Republic functionally didn't exist on planets like Tatooine. (And the Separatist movement was able to start because there was a widespread sentiment that the wealthy and powerful worlds in the Core did not care about the economically insignificant worlds in the Outer Rim.)

Why did the Jedi decide to get involved in the Clone Wars, even serving as Generals in the Republic Army, which would be their doom? Because they served the Republic, particularly the Senate and its Supreme Chancellor. They decided to pick one side, instead of being objective outsiders trying to negotiate peace.

It seems to me that they put serving the Government over serving the Force. Yes, the government was able to fund them, but did they really need the funding? Couldn't they have secured some donors, especially since there were only 10 Thousand Jedi at their peak, in a galaxy of trillions of trillions? Do the Jedi even really need to be such a centrally-organized institution? Can't they just be people trained to use the Force and listen to it, going off to do whatever they feel the Force calls them to do, serving in a great variety of professions?

If a Jedi wants to serve in one government's military, they can serve in the military, as an individual, like Luke in the OT. If there's a Republic and an Empire, we could see light-side Jedi on both sides. Or a Jedi could become a diplomat, a scientist, an archaeologist, a doctor, a teacher, an inventor, a musician, an artist, a scholar, a philosopher, a public servant, a security official, an entrepreneur, a chef, an author, a social activist, an actress, a builder, etc. The only duties that would unite all Jedi would be information sharing, training the next generations, and tracking down any dark-siders or fallen Jedi.

Well, that's my opinion, anyways.

So, if the Jedi return, should they serve the Government or the Force?

15. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
  16. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    I think the point is that there really won't be a central government like there was in the PT. It will be a fractured galaxy where Jedi are considered a long gone religion that was mostly responsible for the wars that came before. Thus, there won't be any public trust in them. There will actually be fear.

Think of it kind of like Batman after TDK. He was on the run, blamed for the death of Harvey. Same sort of thing.

Luke'sSeveredHand likes this.
  17. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I believe in Cosinga Palpatine II.

18. Seeher

Seeher Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2003
    I have wonder if, and big if, the reason Luke hasn't been around for a few years (depending on which rumor you believe) was because Leia and the others in the Republic wanted Luke, and any trainees he might have, to be more of extension of the government, while he felt that his Order should be less involved in fighting. They wanted super soldiers to fight the Empire, while he felt it was more important not to engage in every brush fire out there.

Luke'sSeveredHand, TK327 and Redimet like this.
  19. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    The Force. Serving the government might work at first, but it would only end in disaster.

20. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    It's possible, but I don't think distrust of the Jedi would be as bad as it was under the Empire.

If there is a stable government that controls half the galaxy or more, should the Jedi serve it primarily or the Force?

And there doesn't really need to be a huge government for the Jedi to serve a government. For all we know, one of the goals of the new Jedi could be expanding the government they serve from a few star systems to the entire galaxy.

21. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    The Jedi returned 30 years ago.

ChildOfWinds likes this.
  22. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Mandalorian'sForTheWin, why did you vote for government?

I want people to explain their vote too.

That's what we thought, now it's not so certain with all the rumors of Luke being held prisoner since the Battle of Endor.

23. Bob Octa

Bob Octa Jedi Knight star 2

May 6, 2013
    I'm a fan of the PT, and the Jedi as an order concept because it worked for that story and fit into that trilogy's themes. But I want them to do something different this time. I'm all for the decentralized, Wild West-type Jedi concept that some fans have suggested. I wouldn't expect it to stay like that for forever, but I think it's a perfect fit for a "rebuilding the Jedi" era.

24. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    I don't think they should serve either. They tried serving the government and got pushed to the brink of extermination and the Force did nothing to stop this with billions of lives destroyed or ruined in the process. They should just declare a benevolent military dictatorship.

25. Ganger

Ganger Force Ghost star 4

Dec 9, 1999
    Yeah, they should also wear dark white robes and eat hot ice cream.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.