main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Luke Skywalker's New (or Old) Jedi Order?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Dra---, Aug 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Well... best way to describe it would be where the term Canon itself comes from. For those of you that aren't familiar, Canon is what is explicitly stated and accepted as religious truth. Apocryphal works (i.e. Legends) are bonus material that may or may not be true and subject to interpretation. This doesn't mean that referencing Mara Jade in Episode VII makes the Thrawn Trilogy suddenly Canon, nor does it mean her history isn't similar or identical... all of that is to be determined by authors and 'new canon' works. A reference to an EU character in Episode VII would mean nothing more then that they exist.

Simple as that.

Redimet likes this.
  2. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014
    The theory that we live in a multiverse makes everything canon because somewhere in some reality it is fact.

3. Redimet

Redimet Jedi Master star 4

Mar 2, 2014
    I think Mara Jade will be reintroduced in the novel Heir to the Jedi and will become one of the first members of Lukes new order read this. "The Galactic Civil War rages on after the destruction of the Death Star and Luke Skywalker struggles to learn more about the Force without the aid of Obi-Wan Kenobi-or indeed without any aid at all. But the few memories he has of Obi-Wan's instruction point the way to a stronger control of the Force, and he is encouraged to pursue it by a new friend in the Alliance. When Luke, R2-D2 and his new ally are tasked with liberating a valuable asset from the Empire and delivering her to a safe planet where she can aid the Alliance, their journey across the galaxy is fraught with peril-and opportunities for Luke to discover the mysteries of the Force" Who is this her they speak of?

4. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

Right now, there's a book in the works focusing on Quinlan Vos and Asajj Ventress. Both characters originated in the old EU, before making their way into TCW. The novel will probably contain some retcons for Vos, but will probably make reference to other adventures and bits of backstory from the old EU. The same thing would happen with characters like Soontir Fel, Mara Jade and even Corran Horn. Certain stories would be referenced and others, not so much. There probably would even be a nod towards past relationships, like Mara Jade seeing Luke and thinking that in another life, she could see him as a suitable companion. Characters like Jacen, Jaina and Cade will never see the light of day again. Or their names would be transposed to later descendants.

5. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    If they do bring EU characters back, just don't screw them over like they did with Barriss.

6. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    The difference being that Quinlan Vos and Asajj Ventress do not muddy the post-RotJ waters and have never been apart of them within the EU. Soontir Fel, Mara Jade and Corran Horn are all major players in the post-RotJ Legends. Especially Mara. Those characters will not be brought in to muddy the new post-RotJ history that has been written. Their presence, even if in name, would detract from the originality of the new and canon story.

7. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Not really. Retcons are made. Mara Jade would still be Palpatine's Force sensitive assassin, since TCW as canon featured that. Elements of her life from "By The Emperor's Hand" and "Allegiance" can carry over. Other stuff would have to be retconned. For instance, Mara did spent time with Talon Karrde, but she never took over his business after he retired. She can met Luke in a separate adventure for the first time and the two go from enemies to friends. Instead of "Heir To The Empire", "Dark Force Rising" and "The Last Command", it would be something else entirely. Corran Horn can still be part of Rogue Squadron and still be descended from a Jedi who broke the rules. He can still meet and learn from Luke, but the circumstances of that would be different. And so on.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  8. TheBBP

Nov 6, 2012

Yeah, all of that can happen if you are not interested in a new and original story like JJ and Kennedy are selling. They didn't say "new and original story, but with your favorite characters from the Legends universe".

9. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    In the films itself, these characters won't appear. But in books and comics between trilogies, you can bet they'd appear.

10. TheBBP

Nov 6, 2012

I wouldn't count on it brother. Not in any canon media.

darklordoftech likes this.
  11. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012

Really? TCW proves that the creators are willing to grab elements from the EU and use them at will. The actual number of examples from that which I can list are pretty darn long, even if the vast majority of them are organizations, companies, ships, and so forth. Rebels follows up on this tendency with incorporation of things like the Imperial Security Bureau (ISB), Sienar Fleet Systems (SFS), Inquisitors, and so forth even before the series has begun to air. Hell, I wouldn't bat an eye at Mara Jade being thrown in as a possible enemy for a couple episodes of Rebels.

The most popular EU figures are likely to be incorporated in some facet in the new Canon stories. The creators will have quite a bit more freedom in developing those characters then they did before thanks to circumstances, but some elements will certainly carry over. Some old legends material will be incorporated, in part because the authors will want to give nods to those that came before, and in part because some of the stuff is good and useful.

I expect new X-wing books at some point (because they did really well financially). I expect Mara Jade to reappear, because those stories do really well financially (she has a fan base). I expect an effort by some authors to try and pull their favorite EU elements back into the Canon, and so forth.

Iron_lord likes this.
  12. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Yeah, I highly doubt every EU element will be tossed, things will be picked back up, and there are EU originated elements throughout "Rebels" anyway. The names of planets, barring Moriband, are generally staying unchanged, same with species. The Ewoks are not being renamed individually.

Hell, I own a (fairly awesome) baseball cap that says "Jedi Academy" on it that was sold at Disney Star Tours. I would not be surprised if the concept of a Jedi Academy does eventually show up in the ST at some point.

Iron_lord likes this.
  13. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    good to see some of the eu elements intact. it would be too much work to start over

14. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    In a way, bizarre as it sounds, it might be the policy to give them a completely different story compared to the EU.

15. Redimet

Mar 2, 2014
    All I know is that they should not make it where "The Jedi Order is restored to its former glory and the Republic is reinstated with the Empire nothing but a rebellious remnant" Cause to me that is incredibly boring.

16. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    If they start the characters off similarly characteristic-wise and what-not with their EU selves don't go and screw them up later on. Or at least explain how the hell it happened. Barriss being a good Jedi in Season 2 and then turning bad in season 5 without any interaction with her since then is not okay.

17. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Barriss storyline and betrayal made absolutely no sense. Still don't understand her turning to dark side and the reasons behind it

18. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    That's what I don't want happening with the EU characters.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  19. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

She turned because she was like Dooku, seeing the corruption of the Jedi Order and thus chose to fight against her fellow Jedi. This is an example of what "There are heroes on both sides" and the Force going out of balance is about. Barriss sees the Jedi as fallen and corrupt and thus is willing to take them to task over it. Just as Letta Turmond did. The irony is that she doesn't see that she herself has become corrupt. Remember also in the old EU, there were other Jedi who turned for much the same reasons.

20. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Would have been nice to see it instead of having it come from out of nowhere in Season 5. Kind of hard to take seriously otherwise.

21. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    The point was that it was meant to be a surprise. We're seeing the toll the war has taken on the Jedi. It wasn't meant to be like Anakin's turn, but rather a change in beliefs. Showing it would telegraph that she was the culprit. Season six and season would probably gone further into it.

22. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Don't show her completely changed right before the bombing but show her getting worn down but nowhere near enough to make others suspicious. Maybe have Ashoka help her and and she returns to normal for Ashoka's sake. Yeah the war is hell on the Jedi but not seeing Barriss for 3 seasons is a bit much. Maybe throw in another character over the course of the show to keep up the suspense. Bit late for that.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  23. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    This is exactly what people would say if it happened in the EU rather than in TCW. When something happens in the EU, everyone talks about how awesome it is and how it makes perfect sense. When something happens in TCW, everyone talks about how terrible it is and how it makes no sense.

24. Redimet

Mar 2, 2014
    Which is silly to me their are so many more stupid things to be found in the EU then in TCW people get mad about Darth Maul being alive but not about the Emperor making clones???

25. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    The Big Bad of the first 6 movies not coming back? Yeah right.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.