main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Luke & the Jedi in the new era

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Starkiller211, Apr 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Starkiller211

Starkiller211 Jedi Youngling

Mar 16, 2004
    The only Star Wars book i've read so far is 'The New Rebellion' just wondering about a few things, since the establishment of the New Republic, have the Jedi swelled back in numbers similar to the films prequel era?

Has Luke had fights that are similar to the Ep I fight between Obi-Wan and Darth Maul?

Do characters like Yoda, Anakin, Quai-Gonn and Obi-Wan still keep in contact with Luke or anyone else in the Expanded Universe?

I've also got Jedi Knight 2 and Jedi Academy games for the PC which although wouldn't count towards the literature still provides interesting stories to the EU.

I know many of you will have replied to similar threads please be patient as this is my first post!

Cheers!

2. YoungJedi11

YoungJedi11 Jedi Knight star 5

May 20, 2002
    The only Star Wars book i've read so far is 'The New Rebellion' just wondering about a few things, since the establishment of the New Republic, have the Jedi swelled back in numbers similar to the films prequel era?

Nope, the Jedi numbered only around 100 (or less probably at the time of The New Rebellion. They get even less later on. ;)

Has Luke had fights that are similar to the Ep I fight between Obi-Wan and Darth Maul?

I guess this would be a personal opinion kind of thing. He has a fight or two that I suppose could rival it in the NJO, and in the some of the pre-NJO books.

Do characters like Yoda, Anakin, Quai-Gonn and Obi-Wan still keep in contact with Luke or anyone else in the Expanded Universe?

Nope. Anakin makes an appearance to Leia to try to mend things between them, but that's about it.

I've also got Jedi Knight 2 and Jedi Academy games for the PC which although wouldn't count towards the literature still provides interesting stories to the EU.

Yeah, they do. Kyle Katarn is mentioned a few times in the NJO, and he speaks a few lines in the final book.

3. jedimasterED

jedimasterED Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 10, 1999
    At the start of the New Jedi Order series, there are approximately 100 active Jedi, plus roughly half that number of learners at the Academy on Yavin IV.
    I think all EU authors who write lightsaber fights have tried to make them more dynamic, exciting, and visceral like the fight in TPB. So, yeah, some of the fights can be imagined a lot like Obi-Wan versus Darth Maul.
    Obi-Wan "stays in touch" with Luke, but only for a while. Anakin talks to Leia once.
    You will find that many here in the Lit forum are avid gamers and/or consider the story elements of games as worthy of discussion as any comic, book, etc.
    I know many of you will have replied to similar threads please be patient as this is my first post!
    You're doing quite well, and welcome!

4. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Obi Wan still in contact with Luke until Heir to the Empire which is set 5 yrs after ROTJ I think.

At the beginning of the book he tells Luke that his time is up or something like that.

5. LordJoda-181

LordJoda-181 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 8, 2004
    Btw The New Rebellion is a great read. It and [the paradise Snare [/i] were the first 2 I read (My parents didn't understand chronological order).
    Joey ;)

6. Pellaeon-Firke

Pellaeon-Firke Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Don't forget "Anakin"'s appearances to Jacen towards the end of NJO.

Their are few saber fights in the post RotJ books I've read, just Luke v Luuke, the Jensaarai, and Gantoris v. Luke (if that counts). There are several though in Dark Empire, and I haven't read New Rebellion, Crystal Star, CotJ, and Planet of Twilight. If you're not too picky about what constitutes a duel then Corran v. Shedao Shai is one of the greats.

7. LordJoda-181

LordJoda-181 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 8, 2004
    The NJO has some great fights, not Saber to Saber duals, but good melee action.
    Joey ;)

8. Pelranius

Pelranius Jedi Master star 5

Apr 25, 2003
    The amphistaff vs. lightsabers was quite interesting.

Though the quality of Vong warriors mysteriously detoriated as the NJO arc went on, until the Slayers from TUF were introduced.

9. Starkiller211

Starkiller211 Jedi Youngling

Mar 16, 2004
    Thanks everyone for their posts!

I'll definitely have to get more of the books soon.

10. Pellaeon-Firke

Pellaeon-Firke Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Not as much their quality deteriorated as their morale and confidence did. Plus, the Jedi got much much better. Also remember that a lot of the newer troops are green because the veterans from the journey died in the first few.

11. MariahJade2

MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 5 VIP

Mar 18, 2001

*** Tries to imagine reading New Rebellion first....can't. :p I just want to recommend you go back and read Heir to the Empire, Dark Force Rising and the Last Command by Timothy Zahn. It sets the ground work for most of the books that come after.

*** Not in the way you are thinking I suspect. He has a few good run ins, but most of the time the authors seemed afraid to make him too powerful and went overboard by making his enemies too powerful or Luke too weak. But that's just my opinion. I know some would argue with that.

*** I never would have heard of Kyle Katern if it wasn't for my son playing Jedi Knight 2. I think you'll find the game stories discussed here so don't worry about that.

*** Welcome to Lit. Drop into the SOS thread if you like Luke and long winded posters. ;) :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.