main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Luke turning to the Dark Side

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by sweeeet, Mar 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sweeeet

sweeeet Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 4, 2002
    I was just thinking, the climax of the Star Wars saga has Luke Skywalker turning down the chance to turn to the Dark Side, Anakin redeeming himself and killing the Emperor. There is supposed to be tension, what if Luke had turned, all hope would have been lost etc etc. but considering that Lando would have blown the Death Star up moments later I don't really think it makes any difference, Luke, Vader, Emperor, they'd all have died anyway and the Empire would still have fallen. What gives??

2. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    If the Emperor had survived, then the Empire would've also survived. Even the loss of a Death Star wouldn't be enough to finish them, or the scattering of the fleet. Despite the loss of the Executor, there was still a massive Imperial fleet left at Endor alone.

So, the question is how could Palpatine survive the Death Star explosion? Well, considering that Luke is able to drag Vader almost all the way to the shuttle bay by himself, and escapes in time, I think Palpatine and his new apprentice Luke would've been able to also make it to a shuttle and get the hell out of Dodge in time as well.

I've always thought that Palpatine's attention is fully on the interesting little clash he's set up between Luke and Vader, and he may not be fully aware of what's going on outside the throne room. As soon as the duel would finish, whether Vader or Luke won and killed the other (he hoped), I think Palpatine would've quickly sensed the danger they were in and hustled his new pupil away to a shuttle.

Right. Hope that helps answer your question :)

3. sweeeet

sweeeet Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 4, 2002
    I doubt it the Falcon was already inside of the Death Star and Luke would have had to kill Vader and then accept his turn to the Darkside this would take time.

And they may be powerful but I doubt they'd survive the explosion I mean come on.

4. DS615

DS615 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2003
    He didn't say they would survive the explosion, he said they would escape on a shuttle.

I agree. If Luke had time to carry Vder to the launch bay, have a nice heart to heart talk, and still fly away in time, I think 2-3 health people would move out in time just fine.

5. Aunecah_Skywalker

Aunecah_Skywalker Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 25, 2002
    You know, this is something that I often wondered, myself. But I agree with whoever said that the Emperor was *most likely to be) fully entranced by the battle to pay much attention to what was going on outside.

In the end, if Luke did turn to the Dark Side, there wouldn't have been any point to the whole SW saga. Luke's character is there to show a contrast to Anakin's. If both Luke and Anakin fall to the Dark Side, then all it does is glorify the DS and the Emperor.

:)

-Aunecah

6. Wee_Man

Wee_Man Jedi Youngling

Feb 29, 2004
    Luke would never have turned. When his lapel is revealed towards the end of the dual he has white on the inside of his outfit. Opposed to the outside which was all black. This symbolized his similar journey like his father before him.

7. Lord_Makro

Lord_Makro Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 13, 2002
    Even if the Emperor didn't have time to escape the exploding Death Star, it wouldn't make any difference because the Emperor survived after all (according to Dark Empire which is a really great story!).

8. LottDodd

LottDodd Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2002
    The dark side would not have allowed Lando and Wedge to complete there task if it's focal point had survived. The Torpedoes would have malfunctioned, an interceptor would have gotten off a lucky shot, more than the sattelite array would have been ripped of the Falcon, or even if everything had hit... the chain reaction wouldn't have occured as the rebels had planned.

9. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    Lawrence Kasdan once thought as you do, you don't know the power of Luke Skywalker.

Kasdan came up with several dark ideas for ROTJ. Like Luke turning and Leia fighting Luke. Or Luke pretending to turn and putting the Vader mask on.

Lucas refused these ideas. GL stated he used to hate when a hero died or turned evil.

-Seldon

10. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    I'm glad Lucas felt that way. I would've been really depressed if Luke had given in and turned to the Dark Side even back when I was a kid. Now that I know what happened (so far) to Anakin, it would be even worse to see Luke do the same thing.

11. MariahJade2

MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 5 VIP

Mar 18, 2001
    I enjoy Dark Luke Fan fic's but for the films I wouldn't have wanted to see him turn. Having it be more of a struggle to refuse, yes, I could see that, but Luke wouldn't turn. It wasn't ultimatly in his character. *Ignores DE*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.