main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Luke watching the Falcon fly away

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Darth-Horax, Jan 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth-Horax

Darth-Horax Force Ghost star 6

Aug 22, 2001
    Ok, in ESB when the Falcon finally gets out of the hangar and is flying towards space, Luke is stumbling towards his X-Wing and R2D2. He hears the Falcon's engines, and he watches them fly to safety. However, if you look closely, you see him turn his head way too early to see the Falcon fly away. I know that this is a simple editing error, but what kind of in-universe explanation can you think of?

Maybe he saw them through the force before they were there..."With the force, things you will see..."

:)

2. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    You can hear airplanes and helicopters well before they pass you, so why should the Falcon be different?

3. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    I was gonna say that too. He woulda heard the engines before it was visible.

4. DarthLazious

DarthLazious Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 24, 2003
    And What is the purpose of this thread agian?

DLM Edit: You know the drill, if you don't like the thread, don't post. Please don't make remarks like this again.

5. boarderbum51

boarderbum51 Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 14, 2003
    You can hear airplanes and helicopters well before they pass

Isnt it that you hear them after they pass?

6. MyHomeThisIs

MyHomeThisIs Jedi Youngling

Jan 7, 2004
    This is exceptionally funny, not because Horax didn't accept the obvious answer of him hearing it, but also thought Luke would have been able to see it from the back of his head then turn around when it DID appear :D

7. Zethlin_Maximus

Zethlin_Maximus Jedi Youngling star 4

May 31, 2003
    Question: What happens if you hear an aircraft?

Answer: You look to where the noise is coming from.

8. ObiwanJohn

ObiwanJohn Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 12, 2003
    Do you suppose Luke was humming "Wind beneath my wings" as the Falcon flew by?

9. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    No, you can hear a plane before you it passes overhead. I hear planes all the time and I'll turn and follow it with my eyes, and I can hear before it even comes anywhere close to flying above me.

10. Zethlin_Maximus

May 31, 2003
    Yeah. Luke heard the engines of the Falcon coming from behind the snow drifts. Obviously the noise couldn't be stopped by any terrain, so he just turned to await its appearance.

I too hear planes long before they become visible all the time. And I too stop to look where the noise is coming from.

11. DarthLassic007

DarthLassic007 Jedi Master star 6

Nov 25, 2002
    Luke could hear the Falcon way up in the air but couldn't hear a wampa come up right in front of his face. 8-}

12. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    Wampas are stealthy.

13. Zethlin_Maximus

May 31, 2003
    There's a big difference in noise between that of a Wampa and that of a giant starship taking off.

14. DarthLassic007

DarthLassic007 Jedi Master star 6

Nov 25, 2002
    It was a joke. Damn, tough crowd.

15. ObiwanJohn

Dec 12, 2003
    "It was a joke. Damn, tough crowd. "

You're right. You have be pretty quick around here. :D

16. Lightsabre

Lightsabre Fan Force Founder star 4 VIP

Nov 12, 1999
    Keep in mind amigos, that Luke flew headfirst at 60+ mph (safe estimate) into the snow. He probably didn't have his wits about him when he scanned for the Falcon.

So, while we're "in-universe", what's the explanation for Luke yelling "Carrie" after returning from the DS explosion? Was this his pet name for her? Or does he have bad vision and thought she was someone else? Perhaps someone from the fuel crew?

Discuss...

17. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    Luke didn't yell "Carrie." He said "Hey!"

18. Zethlin_Maximus

May 31, 2003
    That's what I always hear as well! Beats me why everyone seems to hear Hamill shout "Carrie". ?[face_plain]

19. MyHomeThisIs

Jan 7, 2004
    I've watched the movie with closed captioning on, and it says "Hey". I'm unsure if the CC people use the script to write the CC text or do it by ear, so it may not mean anything.

However, it's pretty obvious he says "hey".

20. imapilotyoureapilot

imapilotyoureapilot Jedi Youngling

Jan 8, 2004
    Ok, about Luke looking first and all that stuff. I have the perfect answer, but until Episode 1 there's no way that we could've explained it.

When Luke is looking, he's actually seeing the midicholorians that were left over from when Obi Wan was onboard. Now, this may seem a little strange, but the midicholorians managed to show Luke the path the Falcon was going to take. Lucas just couldn't come out with that official explanation until after Episode 1 came out...

I love how there are all these things that we're finding make much more sense after Episodes 1 and 2. It makes so much more sense to me now than it ever did back then!

21. ObiwanJohn

Dec 12, 2003
    "When Luke is looking, he's actually seeing the midicholorians that were left over from when Obi Wan was onboard. Now, this may seem a little strange, but the midicholorians managed to show Luke the path the Falcon was going to take. Lucas just couldn't come out with that official explanation until after Episode 1 came out... "

I'm curious as to your source on this.

I'd have to go with he heard it first, recognized the distinctive sound of the Falcon's engines, looked over to see it become visible over the terrain, and fly away safely, Luke thinking "All right! They made it out!"

22. MyHomeThisIs

Jan 7, 2004
    "I'm curious as to your source on this."

*snicker*

23. Darth-Horax

Darth-Horax Force Ghost star 6

Aug 22, 2001
    I'm not saying he turns early to see it, come on, that's logical. What's funny is he starts to scan the path where the Falcon WILL fly before it even does. Does nobody else catch this?

Yes, this is supposed to be funny...

24. ObiwanJohn

Dec 12, 2003
    Or it was bad blocking and Luke looked where Kirschner told him to and when they inserted the FX shot it didn't quite line up. Oh wait, that's a out of universe answer. Nooooo!!!!!! That's not true!!!!! That's impossible!!!!

25. Alomanuma_Topha

Alomanuma_Topha Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 2, 2004
    Or it was bad blocking and Luke looked where Kirschner told him to and when they inserted the FX shot it didn't quite line up. Oh wait, that's a out of universe answer. Nooooo!!!!!! That's not true!!!!! That's impossible!!!!

Actually they easily could have lined up the FX shot to match Luke. He couldn't have heard the sound cuz he had a helmet on, so I guess I have to agree somewhat with Imapilotyoureapilot. This would also explain why vader chases the falcon in ESB.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.