main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Luke watching the Falcon fly away

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Darth-Horax, Jan 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ObiwanJohn

ObiwanJohn Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 12, 2003
    "This would also explain why vader chases the falcon in ESB. "

I figured Vader did that for a couple of different reasons. 1) Vader know's Luke, Leia, and Han tend to stick together. Vader know's Han flys the Falcon so he assumed Luke was on it. 2) Vader sensed Leia on the Falcon. I don't think he could tell that it wasn't Luke, or maybe he just assumed it was Luke not knowing he had a daughter.

I came up with that all by myself befor we know of the midichlorines(sp)

2. imapilotyoureapilot

imapilotyoureapilot Jedi Youngling

Jan 8, 2004
    "1) Vader know's Luke, Leia, and Han tend to stick together. Vader know's Han flys the Falcon so he assumed Luke was on it. "

I'm curious as to your source on this.

3. MyHomeThisIs

MyHomeThisIs Jedi Youngling

Jan 7, 2004
    "I'm curious as to your source on this."

*snicker x2*

4. ObiwanJohn

Dec 12, 2003
    Well imapilotyourapilot, my source is the movies and logical deduction. In ANH the Falcon shows up on the DS, with Luke and Han, and they recuse the princess and escape. Later, as Vader is about to spread Luke's atoms all over space, the Falcon roars in and saves the day. The pilot of the X-Wing must know the pilot of the Falcon. 1+1=2

In ESB the opening scroll tells us Vader is intent on finding Skywalker. When Vader enters the Hoth base he is intent on capturing the Falcon. He doesn't pay attention to anything else going on in the base, just the Falcon. He chases the Falcon all the way to Bespin using his personal fleet. At this point he obviously found out Luke was not with the heros. So he set up a plan, using them as bait, to lure Skywalker. Why would he do that unless he knew these people were close to each other? 2+2=4

4+2=6. There are six movies in the Saga. I must be right :D

5. imapilotyoureapilot

Jan 8, 2004
    Interesting points. However, let me present a rebuttal.

I don't recall any point in either ANH or ESB (prior to Cloud City) where Vader even saw Han or Luke outside of their ships. So, the only thing Vader saw were the ships (except for what he sensed with the force, but obviously that only helped him to identify Obi Wan). So even if he made the connection that the Falcon was at the Death Star both times (which I'm sure he would have), he wouldn't know specifically who was on it. All he knows is that the same ship that busted the princess out also shot at him at the Death Star. When he sees the ship a third time at Hoth, I'm still not convinced that he knows for sure who's in the thing. It's not until afterwards that he does the research to bring in the bounty hunters.

Your move sir!

6. Alomanuma_Topha

Alomanuma_Topha Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 2, 2004
    He doesn't pay attention to anything else going on in the base, just the Falcon.

wha??? Does vader even know the falcon is on Hoth? How would he until he happens to see it in the Hanger.

7. ObiwanJohn

Dec 12, 2003
    "When he sees the ship a third time at Hoth, I'm still not convinced that he knows for sure who's in the thing."

I'm pretty certian the Imperial had an Intel division. I'm sure the Imps knew who the high ranking rebels were by name and probably picture. Political enemies are generally known by the ones in charge.

When I originally asked about your source on your theory, it was serious question. I was assuming you had some type of "official" knowledge, either EU or movies, that would support what you said. Actually giving you the benefit of the doubt that what you stated is accurate. That's all.

Did some one wake up on the wrong side of the taun taun?

8. imapilotyoureapilot

Jan 8, 2004
    First off, I apologize if I came across as cranky. I just take Star Wars pretty seriously (maybe a little too seriously sometimes, LOL!) and I like to think I know what I'm talking about.

I can't say that I have any sort of real sources to support my midicholorian claims, I just thought that made logical sense. Perhaps I haven't got the kind of grasp on the science of midicholorians that I like to think I do.

While I do recognize that the Empire would have an intelligence division, I'm still not convinced that there would be a huge amount of information to go on. Han was never really a member of the Rebellion until after being frozen, and Luke was just some nobody until he blew up the Death Star. Still, I like to think that Vader went after the Falcon initially just out of spite, and then later realized that it actually had tactical significance.

Still, I think I'm right about how Luke senses the Falcon.... :)

9. ObiwanJohn

Dec 12, 2003
    Imapilotyourapilot,
    You may very well be onto something in the midi's showing Luke the Falcon's path.

About the Imps intel and all that unless the discussion involves the EU it's all supposition. In none of the movies do we see any of it.

"He doesn't pay attention to anything else going on in the base, just the Falcon.

wha??? Does vader even know the falcon is on Hoth? How would he until he happens to see it in the Hanger. "

Well Alomanuma_Topha, the opening scrawl tells us Vader is obsessed with finding Skywalker. The Imps find the rebel base on Hoth and the battle happens. Vader paces throught the base ignoring all else focused on the hanger. When the Falcon escapes Vader dedicates his personal fleet to the chase. Vader knew the ship was named the Millineum Falcon and it would make sense he knew Solo was the Captian. The Falcon saved Luke at the DS. Vader knew who blew up the DS. I always figured since Leia was on the ship Vader sensed a "force shadow" and thought it was Luke.

10. Zethlin_Maximus

Zethlin_Maximus Jedi Youngling star 4

May 31, 2003
    What a load of cobblers about Luke not being able to hear the Falcon's engines because he's wearing his flight helmet! I wear a motorcycle helmet and that doesn't block out any sound whatsoever.

11. Alomanuma_Topha

Jan 2, 2004
    What a load of cobblers about Luke not being able to hear the Falcon's engines because he's wearing his flight helmet! I wear a motorcycle helmet and that doesn't block out any sound whatsoever.

I'm pretty sure the x-wing helmets are better insulated against loud sounds than an everyday motorcycle helmet. And besides, there are ships all over the place when the falcon takes off. It had to be mediclorians.

12. Zethlin_Maximus

May 31, 2003
    Real world military pilots can talk to one another while wearing their flight helmets without the aid of their microphones, as do Rebel pilots talk to one another whilst wearing their flight helmets (remember Luke meeting Dack as they get into their speeder?). So why can't Luke hear the engines of an interstellar space craft taking off? Sorry, but your argument doesn't hold water.

13. Alomanuma_Topha

Jan 2, 2004
    Real world military pilots can talk to one another while wearing their flight helmets without the aid of their microphones, as do Rebel pilots talk to one another whilst wearing their flight helmets (remember Luke meeting Dack as they get into their speeder?). So why can't Luke hear the engines of an interstellar space craft taking off? Sorry, but your argument doesn't hold water.

I guess I see your logic, but you are wrongly assuming that Luke is wearing a Real world flight helmet. He's not. He's wearing an x-wing helmet. You can clearly see this in the scene. In fact, I don't think anyone in the SW universe wears a 'Real world flight helmet'.

As far as the pilots talking to the gunners, I don't think they can hear each other. Remember when Luke says "Dak?.. Dak?" If Dak heard him, he'd respond.

14. Zethlin_Maximus

May 31, 2003
    Well, the X-Wing and Y-Wing helmets are both converted from the very same model US military flight helmets, so I'd say that they both give the pilots the same ability to hear.

Why didn't Dack hear Luke when he called his name? Maybe it's because he was a dead Dack at that point! If you remember, all the pilots and gunners were able to talk to one another over the noise of both the speeder's engines and the enemy cannon fire during the Battle of Hoth. Wedge was able to shout orders to Janson, just as Dack was able to inform Luke about the malfunction in the harpoon's fire control.

And if you're wondering, the helmet microphones are used for ship to ship communications, not for pilot to gunner.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.