main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Luke's education?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by RogueWompRat, Jan 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RogueWompRat

RogueWompRat Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 15, 2003
    How much education did Luke recieve? Does Tatooine have an educational system, or are kids just taught the essentials of farm life by their parents? If not, did Luke and Biggs have all kinds of crazy rip-roarin adventures and hilarious hijinks at Anchorhead High? (mark my words, there's a series of stories there)

Furthermore, do they teach Jedi "normal stuff" like mathematics, science, history etc. at the Jedi Temple?

2. Jort

Jort Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 2, 2004
    Luke Skywalker said in Jedi Academy the students would study history.

3. Knightstorme

Knightstorme Jedi Master star 3

Feb 23, 2003
    They probably had online classes....

4. exar-tull

exar-tull Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 22, 2001
    i believe luke had downloadable holonet courses,i believe thats how most childern on tatooine that live on moister farms are educated,i believe luke mentioned it to leia in splinter of the minds eye.

5. master_organa

master_organa Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 5, 2004
    Did they teach sex-ed at the academy?

6. -RebelScum-

-RebelScum- Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 21, 2004
  7. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    There's a great story in there. Gantoris, Streen, Kyp, Teneniel, Corran, Dorsk 81 (he particularly would have some interesting comments) all attending a sex ed class taught by Luke.

8. -RebelScum-

-RebelScum- Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 21, 2004
    HAHAHAHAHAHA

hm, how would Gantoris try to outdo everyone in sex ed? [face_mischief]

9. Tiershon_Fett

Tiershon_Fett Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    Luke: GED?

Leia: Best education in the galaxy.

Not exactly fair, eh?

I think the Lars were happy they got a hired hand for free.

The Organa's got a daughter that they wanted for years. And considered a great gift.

And Leia never fell to the Darkside, ever? Kinda blows the Obi-wan theory out the window.

10. exar-tull

exar-tull Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 22, 2001
    the GED analogy is wrong luke got a perfectly good education,just because its holonet doen't mean its bad.

11. Jedi_Jim19

Jedi_Jim19 Jedi Youngling

Jan 21, 2005
    yeah i remember reading somewhere that he was home-schooled.

12. Vindaxxus

Vindaxxus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 29, 2000
    So Beru ws good for sumthin....

13. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    Furthermore, do they teach Jedi "normal stuff" like mathematics, science, history etc. at the Jedi Temple?

I believe it was mentioned somewhere that the Jedi during the Prequel era had to learn math so they could calculate astrogation coordinates. But then the AotC novelization does state that the type of astromech Obi-Wan uses was meant to help with that type of thing. They also appear to learn some history.

14. QuentinGeorge

QuentinGeorge Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 12, 2003
    I believe it was mentioned somewhere that the Jedi during the Prequel era had to learn math so they could calculate astrogation coordinates. But then the AotC novelization does state that the type of astromech Obi-Wan uses was meant to help with that type of thing.

Nothing strange about that. I studied Maths at a high level, but I still need a calculator.

15. RogueWompRat

RogueWompRat Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 15, 2003
    Nuther thing, what are the clones taught at those little learning terminals? Do they recieve sex-ed classes, ya think? Are they encouraged to.....you know. They don't see women too often on Kamino.

16. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    I don't know what kind of education Luke had, but he obviously learned enough to be accepted at the Academy. In the script of the Audio dramas by Brian Daley, after Luke was accepted at the Academy, he was teased and scorned by his friends. Some of their comments:

FIXER: You watch it boy! Just because you got lucky on a couple of crummy tests, that doesn't make you some kind of junior space explorer.

DEAK: Yeah, Luke, so you happened to qualify; so what?

WINDY: Just because he can answer fancy trick questions and do schoolbook flight maneuvers, he thinks it makes him better than us.

So while he may have come from a rather backward planet, Luke was smart and was able to learn enough to be accepted at the Academy. We know he knows several languages, and he's a great mechanic, and he's very good at X-wing battle tactics among other many other things, so he's a guy who is bright and full of surprises even if his formal education wasn't the equivalent of his sister's.

17. StarWarsIsMyLife

StarWarsIsMyLife Jedi Master star 2

Jul 14, 2004
    Well, the Outer-Rim Territories were always free of any galactic political body. Thus, any educational system they had must've been rather primitive. As for Luke, he is a farmboy, so

Ironically, Luke COULD'VE recieved a good education. As stated in Episode IV, he was just about to send his application to the Imperial Naval Academy, which probably provided the best education in the galaxy you could get for free! Assuming he would've gotten accepted, which I highly doubt.

As for the Jedi Academy, the pre-Empire Jedi schools were like "elite" schools for the gifted. They provided plenty of the best education along with the Jedi training. Also, for positions like MedCorps, scholars, historians, Jedi obviously need to recieve lots of education. So the Old Republic Jedi was a training center and elite and exclusive academic institute all rolled into one. Especially considering all those libraries and archives they had.

In Luke's new Jedi Academy, it's heavily implied that education is very watered down, an extremely secondary thing, and that it's there just to give students some basic knowledge of the Force and the Jedi role and the nature of the galaxy. So whatever education they recieved probably wasn't very structured and was more very basic stuff.

18. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    I'm not so sure about that last bit. First of all, when Luke first started the Jedi Academy the students were largely adults and Luke no doubt expected most of them to have had an education prior to attending his academy. So some of the things taught were going to be more likely to bring those who had not had the chance at fairly similar education up to speed on at least some of what had occured in the galaxy at large.

Jacen, Jaina, and their friends began attending the academy full time around 13 or fourteen, around it pretty obvious they had had a good deal of an education before they began attending. If I recall correctly, at least one of the YJK books from the first story arc of the series brings up that in addition to their regular lessons for becoming Jedi they also have to take the same kind of lessons that would be expected of them if they were not training to be Jedi.

I'm sure as the academy grew and academy students were accepted at younger ages either for full time academy training or for the summer camp style training that Luke saw to it that things like math, history, reading, science, etc. were also taught to his students.

19. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    As I recall, the explanation that Anakin Solo did not appear in most of the YJK books was that younger academy students essentially spent part of the year at the academy, and part of the year in regular schools, and Anakin was not in the same rotation as Jacen and Jaina.

20. BOOSTERERRANT

BOOSTERERRANT Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2000
    Good question. Porbably not, in my opinion, as he worked on owen's farm since he was a kid.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.