main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Luke's fall in the ESB

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by bmr1990, May 3, 2017.

1. bmr1990

bmr1990 Jedi Knight

May 2, 2017
    A few things have always baffled me about the events that take place after the fight scene in Cloud City between Luke and Vader at the end of the ESB. When Luke chooses death over joining Vader, he lets go of the gantry and falls down into oblivion (the best option). Moments later we see him being, apparently, sucked into a pipe of some kind. Now there were many of these pipes scattered all over the chasm, all of which he could have been pulled into as he fell....why this particular one?

Also, as he was sliding down though the pipe he has a very hard time trying to stop himself seeing as he only had one hand, and also taking into account the speed in which he entered the pipe. How did he manage to stop himself so quickly or can we assume that the pipe was a lot longer than what we actually see, and that he managed to slow himself down over time?

Lastly, when he was hanging onto that weather vane, it looks like he tries to pull himself back up into the pipe, but he doesn't have much luck lol. I wonder why he tried to do that?

2. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Well, it's just the one they happened to be over at the time or he was directed into using the Force/just the "will of the Force"

Enjoy this crudely drawn pic of how he entered the tube thingy safely and momentum slowed him down, L being Luke, of course

Would you rather figure a way out of the tube thingy or risk falling into the infinite abyss that is a gas giant's atmosphere?

3. bmr1990

bmr1990 Jedi Knight

May 2, 2017
    I never thought of it like that, makes sense I guess seeing as he's falling down the centre of the chasm and the pipes are so far away that they'd have to have some very strong suction to pull him in.

Awesome drawing XD but yeah I see what you mean

Oh yeah I wouldn't want to hang around on that antenna I'd be crapping myself, but the last pipe that Luke slides out of is practically vertical, not to mention slippery as hell, so the chances of him climbing back up through the pipe system would have been nearly impossible I'd have thought...especially with just one hand lol

4. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2005
    Um, because he didn't want to die? Is that really a question? He dropped down the shaft to get away from Vader. He used the force do slow his decent. He wasn't trying to kill himself.

Sith Lord 2015 and J7Luke like this.
  5. bmr1990

bmr1990 Jedi Knight

May 2, 2017
    It's just I've heard different stories like he chose death over joining Vader and that Vader used the force to guide him into the pipe and loads of other different theories.

6. JediMasterSven

JediMasterSven Jedi Master star 3

Apr 21, 2014

Also in regards to him not having much luck holding onto the pipe, Luke does have only one hand at that point. Plus, c'mon it's a city in the clouds...that metal has to be cold.

MrMojoRisin likes this.
  7. J7Luke

J7Luke Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 30, 2017
    [face_laugh][face_rofl] I lol'd so hard when I clicked on the link. Awesome explanation, btw, but when it said "crudely drawn" I wasn't expecting it to be that crudely drawn.

8. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Luke letting go was basically an admission that he would rather die than become a Sith Lord. But once he was temporarily safe, he realized that his faith in the will of the Force was correct and that he didn't need to die today. Hence his willingness to keep on surviving.

SlashMan, Sarge and J7Luke like this.
  9. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Coupled with the mental trauma of finding out Vader was his father.

10. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    I considered drawing a stick figure, but using a laptop's mousepad in MS Paint makes it impossible for even that to be close to anatomically accurate

11. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002

Actually, Vader screwed up. Once he told Luke that the Emperor foresaw him defeating them, Luke knew his jump wouldn't necessarily be to his death. The look on Luke's face isn't one of fear or resignation. That said, he didn't know exactly what would happen next, but it became a leap of faith at that point....putting his faith into the Will of the Force.

son_of_skywalker03 likes this.
  12. son_of_skywalker03

son_of_skywalker03 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    Right, Luke definitely seems to become far more calm after Vader's words about destroying the emperor.

13. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

It wasn't mental trauma that caused him to drop. It was a sudden epiphany that he would rather die than compromise himself. The trauma was only a factor later.

Yeah, but Luke was also told that the future is always in motion. He knows that Leia is alive and so is Han. So, he can take solace that the future is not set.

14. Bob the X-Winger

Bob the X-Winger Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 8, 2016

Well Vader was also offering Luke the possibility of ending the conflict and bringing the Rebel Alliance into the centre ground and there being no need for an Empire or Storm Troopers or mass killings. Darth Vader & Luke Skywalker together could end all that suffering together. Luke was turning away from that future with what he did.

15. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Luke knew who Vader was. A feared killer. He would never join someone with that reputation, family or not.

16. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    First Point- Because it was the closest one to him when he was falling.

Second Point- The Force.

Third Point- Because he doesn't want to die.

17. Bob the X-Winger

Jan 8, 2016

He did not know Anakin Skywalker his father. A pilot during the Clone Wars, a true friend of Obi-Wan, taken down by the evil Sith Vader. Yeah he knew Vader and it turned out he got it completely wrong.

18. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Luke was in doubt over what Vader had told him about being his father. His feelings seemed to be correct, but it didn't make sense to him. It is only when he looked down that he trusted the one feeling that was correct, which was death over darkness. That's why his facial expression changed right before letting go. He was trusting the will of the Force.

Sarge likes this.
  19. Bob the X-Winger

Jan 8, 2016

He had two paths to choose first was to find out more about his father and consider seriously what Vader was telling him. His feelings and connection with the force told him that together Vader and Luke could end the conflict in the Galaxy. The other option was that set out by his mentor Obi-Wan who put faith in him that his destiny would lead to abolishing the Sith Lords.

Now i contend he would have found a way out of that dead end had he chosen option 1. A delaying tactic, try to hang on a little longer or change his fight. Instead he was so consumed by hate & uncertainly and conscious of Obi-Wan's self sacrifice he was not going to let himself become a instrument of the Emperor or Lord Vader so he broke with tradition by removing himself from Lord Vader's grasp. Get away from the Dark Side to regroup or perhaps to die not to be taken hostage.