main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Luke's Father: It does become a big deal

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by hollywooddove, Jan 27, 2015.

1. hollywooddove

hollywooddove Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 27, 2015
    We know that having Vader proclaim he is Luke's father is something Lucas patched in for ESB. But, it changes everything about ANH. Luke was, a humble farm boy who stumbles upon a message intended for Obi Wan before the revelation. Afterwards, it means the Force directed the message to Luke. It becomes far more than a coincidence. Could it have been the spirit of Qui Gon?

2. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Or the spirit of Mace Windu, or the spirit of Darth Maul, the spirit of 1000 other dead Jedi, the spirit of Shmi, etc... Put it any way you like it's the plot of the saga plain and simple.

Darth Zannah and Andy Wylde like this.
  3. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I don't think it really changes the point the OP stated.

4. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Did the Force guide the message, or was it Artoo that piloted the pod, from orbit, as close to the Lars farm as he could remember, and heading that direction in the hope of getting a lift from the Jawas?

5. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    i don't see the connection there. Luke and Obi-Wan were on the same planet ,living not far from each other.

Lucas didn't have the big picture (such as Obi-Wan there looking over Luke) so it's remarkable how many thing's did work out right.

SateleNovelist11 and Andy Wylde like this.
  6. hollywooddove

Jan 27, 2015
    All good points, I like the idea of R2 perhaps playing a part. And perhaps, with the foreknowledge that Luke is the son of Vader, Obi Wan would have reached out to Luke if the message had made to him first as intended.

I would have loved to see the epic play out as Luke was NOT Vader's son, and simply searched for vengeance on his father's behalf.

whostheBossk likes this.
  7. Among the Clouds

Among the Clouds Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2001
    It feels pretty clear to me that it's R2 who's following Princess Leia's direction to find Obi-Wan and give him the message. I don't read any further into it beyond that.

8. Andy Wylde

Andy Wylde Jedi Master star 4

Jun 26, 2014
    Yeah I agree with Among the Clouds on this one. What she said is the absolute basic idea behind R2 going to find old Ben.

9. hollywooddove

Jan 27, 2015
    Yes, I agree to a point. But once you know Luke is Vader's son, it becomes a pretty big coincidence the plans should fall in his hands. Once again, I know it was not in the original plot movement, I am just saying once it is announced in ESB, it changes the way Luke's involvement in ANH could be perceived.

10. Among the Clouds

Among the Clouds Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2001
    If you want to look at it that way that's fine. Obi-Wan has been looking after Luke for nineteen years. They live fairly close to each other. In that light, I don't think it's too much of a stretch that R2 bumped into Luke before going on to find Obi-Wan.

11. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    r2 went to the lars. he'd been there before and he remember's everything.

12. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    The Jedi had planned since the birth of the twins to go into hiding and wait until the time was right to return. Lucas and Kasdan had an explanation for this, though it wasn't written into ROTJ itself, but was in the novelization.

OBI-WAN: "The Organa household was high-born and politically quite powerful in that system. Leia became a princess by virtue of lineage... no one knew she'd been adopted, of course. But it was a title without real power, since Alderaan had long been a democracy. Even so, the family continued to be politically powerful, and Leia, following in her foster father's path, became a senator as well. That's not all she became, of course... she became the leader of her cell in the Alliance against the corrupt Empire. And because she had diplomatic immunity, she was a vital link for getting information to the Rebel cause. That's what she was doing when her path crossed yours... for her foster parents had always told her to contact me on Tatooine, if her troubles became desperate."

So Leia was to do that, but that didn't work out so well. And yes, the droids arriving at the farm rather than at Obi-wan was not a mere coincidence. Nothing happens by chance as Qui-gon would say. The Force had been, in its own way, pushing things. It is why Obi-wan found Luke as he did. Because he would have foreseen Luke in danger and it is a long way from the Judland Wastes where he lived, to where the farm was near the Western Dune Sea.

Andy Wylde and Iron_lord like this.
  13. StartCenterEnd

StartCenterEnd Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 2, 2006
    Even before Empire it is a coincidence. Luke was NEVER just some random farmboy. In ANH alone, he is the son of powerful Jedi Knight, Obi Wan's friend. Someone Obi Wan calls the "greatest star pilot in the galaxy" and a "cunning warrior".

14. enigmaticjedi

enigmaticjedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 2, 2011
    The force can make the improbable into a reality.

(1) Leia was originally en-route to Alderaan. Of all the places in space that Vader could've intercepted her ship, it was Tatooine.
    (2) The Imperial officers happen to hold fire on the escape pod. Really, what's the reservation against destroying an escape pod that has no life forms on it?
    (3) The Jawas happen to capture R2 when he was lost
    (4) Of all the farms on Tatooine, they bring him to Luke's homestead

What's the probability of all those events happening? It's probably not very high.

The force can influence the probabilities of events.

(Not to start a longer, tangential discussion, but to me, this also applies to how God can make improbable outcomes into reality in real life too)

15. hollywooddove

Jan 27, 2015

I think we are on the same page

enigmaticjedi likes this.
  16. Rachel_In_Red

Rachel_In_Red Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2013
    Fiction defies long odds all the time. The mundane isn't usually very interesting.

Walter White's BIL just happened to be a DEA agent who took him a ride-a-long. Jesse Pinkman just happened to be one of White's former students that he saw at a drug bust and became his gateway into the drug world. That's not an everyday scenario, either, but that's fiction for you.

17. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011

Well, actually, Leia was at Tatooine on purpose. She was trying to recruit Obi-Wan.

18. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Leia was headed to Tatooine to try to bring in Obi-Wan.

She got captured, R2 had the information in him to take the escape pod and go to Tatooine if anything happened to her.

R2, unfortunately, got captured by the jawas before he could get to Obi-Wan, but he managed to escape after the Lars bought him. If he had gone directly to Obi-Wan, Obi-Wan would have, eventually, brought in Luke. He just used the opportunity when it was presented.

No, Qui-Gon had nothing to do with this. Obi-Wan planned to train/encourage Luke to fight the Empire anyway, and Bail and Pbi-Wan may have planned to reunite the twins.

19. enigmaticjedi

enigmaticjedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 2, 2011

Ah yes, now I remember. The full line goes something like "But I'm afraid my mission to bring you to Alderaan has failed." When I made the last post, it seems that I only remembered the Alderaan point.

Well, in light of this, only (2) and (4) of my original points still hold.

20. Cartoon Boba

Cartoon Boba Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 30, 2014
    I must admit I hate people shoehorning in hindsight 'facts' into a piece of fiction. Talk about missing the point of appreciation.

21. hollywooddove

Jan 27, 2015
    That's a shame, because I love it when people are stiff and rigid with no sense of fun. lol, love 2 ya.