main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Luke's Force sensitivity between ANH and TESB

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Billy_Dee_Binks, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    So aboard the Falcon we've seen old Ben give Luke a lesson in deflecting blaster fire with a Lightsaber. In TESB Luke is capable of attracting objects out of reach, namely his Lightsaber in the Wampa's lair, using the Force.
    Though I've seen the Saga countless times, only now have I started to wonder about this:
    - Did Luke receive further training from Obi Wan's spirit?
    - Could Luke have returned to the old hermit's hut on Tatooine and retrieve something that'd aid his understanding of these new abilities?
    - Or is Luke just a natural and figured these useful powers out by himself?

2. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I believe a combination of 1 and 3.
    I think Obi Wan assisted him, gave him at least the bare bones, and he expanded his knowledge from there.

3. Mirax Terrik

Mirax Terrik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 11, 2000
    Luke found notes stashed in Obi Wan's hut according to Shadows of the Empire. It's where he found instructions on how to make his lightsaber.

rumsmuggler likes this.
  4. Yunners

Yunners Jedi Master star 2

Mar 30, 2006
    SOTE takes place between ESB and ROTJ, so he's already had his training with Yoda at that stage.

5. Mirax Terrik

Mirax Terrik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 11, 2000
    I'm assuming he went there under Obi Wan's instruction before that, though now that I'm thinking about, I guess he wouldn't have had time with Vader breathing down his neck.

6. Yunners

Mar 30, 2006
    Probably not. I don't think he want back to Tatooine until after the events of ESB.

7. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    Why didn't Luke simply return to Dagobah to resume his training? It would have made more sense and been more practical than using a handbook, even if it had been written by Obi-Wan.

8. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I view Luke as kinda barely above where he was in ANH in ESB until he gets his Jedi learnin' on from Yoda. Getting his lightsaber to fly to his hand is more a fluke because THE FREAKIN WAMPA WAS ABOUT TO EAT HIM OMGOGOGOGOOG *twhip the lightsbaer goes to his hand* so it was more of a Chosen One-style / Blow up the Death Star Without the Targeting Computer type of bit. He didn't exactly do much Force stuff in his spare time between ANH & ESB, if at all.

Then Yoda teaches him and it all changes. He's much more competent in his lightsaber fight with Vader (well, uh, at least at the start). He really takes a Jedi-jump in between ESB & Jedi. Guess Yoda really drilled a lot into his intensive, what, 5 day course? But, once again, extremely powerful Force user, etc.

9. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Possibly because, after what happened, he's too preoccupied with saving Han.

His fear that Yoda (and Ben) lied to him might have also played a part.

10. DRush76

Jan 25, 2008

One, it them nearly a year to rescue Han. During that time, Luke allegedly increased his connection to the Force due to Obi-Wan's handbook that he found on Tatooine. It would have been more practical for Luke to continue his training under Yoda, instead spending a year tracking down Han and utilizing Obi-Wan's handbook. And why did it take them a year to track down Han? And why would Luke fear that Yoda and Obi-Wan's lies played a part in Han being captured?

11. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Fear that they lied to him, might have played a part in his refusing to return to see them, was what was meant.

12. Samuel Vimes

Samuel Vimes Force Ghost star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Nowhere in the film does it say that RotJ takes place a year after ESB. Based on the films it seems that it was 3-4 weeks or at most 1-2 months. With that time period, Luke not going to Yoda makes some sense.
    Luke did not have to track down Han, Lando and Chewie were going to Tatooine at the end of ESB and Luke was set to join them. The films give no indication that any tracking down took place.

Bye for now.
    Old Stoneface

13. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Where are you getting that figure from?

14. Darth Ruian

Darth Ruian Jedi Youngling

Jan 21, 2013
    Obi-Wan most likely trained him more. But all Jedi (and Sith) learn things on their own quite frequently.

15. DRush76

Jan 25, 2008
    But Luke had only known Obi-Wan for a day or two before the latter's death aboard the Death Star. And as far as I know, Obi-Wan's ghost had not been in contact with Luke until it appeared on Hoth in ESB.

16. edog37

edog37 Jedi Master

Mar 20, 2005
    most likely got caught up with the rebellion & they were looking for Han. Plus, even though it wasn't shown, he probably was pretty messed up & pissed off with Yoda & Ben after the Vader revelation. He probably needed some time to sort that out....

17. Yunners

Mar 30, 2006
    It's closer to 6 months, Your Grace, but you're still right.
    And he did go back to finish his training. He just didn't expect Yoda to be so near death.

18. Joe

Joe Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 25, 2012
    6 months? I always thought it was 2-3 years.

19. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    It can't be, if TESB is in 3 ABY and ROTJ is in 4 ABY.

20. Samuel Vimes

Sep 4, 2012
    Even that seems far too long and I don't recall anything in the film that gives this info.

Bye for now.
    The Guarding Dark

21. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Wasn't it the novelization that gave the time between the two films?

That's what the wookieepedia page says:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars_Episode_VI:_Return_of_the_Jedi

though it also suggests The Essential Atlas changed it to 8 months- it can do that since novelization content can technically be C-canon if it originates with the author.

Luke certainly looks older (due to the film being made 3 years later).

I would hypothesise that back then, Marvel was considered something for authors to at least take into account- and that's why the RoTJ novel says it's six months later- since a lot is shown happening after ESB.

22. DRush76

Jan 25, 2008

And yet . . . Luke found the time to go to Tatooine, find Obi-Wan's handbook and use it as a trainer's guide?

And during a period between 3-4 weeks or 1-2 months, Luke's skill with the Force increased that much, using Obi-Wan's handbook?:rolleyes:

23. Samuel Vimes

Sep 4, 2012
    What Obi-Wan handbook, where is that spoken off in the films?

Also, how long did Luke train with Yoda in ESB? It could be as little as a couple of days to 2-3 weeks, 1-2 months on the outside. During that time his skill and power increased a lot. So Luke might simply have kept practising what Yoda taught him. He knows the basics and was able to do the rest himself. If Yodas training was as little as 1-2 weeks and the time between films is 1-2 months then I don't find it impossible that Luke's increased skill and power is due to him simply practising Yodas lessons and training on his own. Luke has been shown quite consistently as someone who picks things up quite quickly. For ex it did not take long for him to be able to "see" the remote in ANH.

Bye for now.
    Blackboard Monitor

Yunners likes this.
  24. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Why assume that something has to be spoken of in the films, to be plausible?

We know Ben hid out in a hut on Tatooine- it's not that implausible for him to have created things for Luke to use when Luke is old enough.

rumsmuggler and DarthBoba like this.
  25. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Apparently Tuskens suck at searching.