main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Luke's hand in EU Legends

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JD1975, Dec 28, 2017.

1. JD1975

JD1975 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 19, 2015
    I was wondering if Luke's hand was actually repaired in the novels or did he continue to wear the black glove? I seem to recall a story where it was repaired and then severed again in a duel but I'm not sure if that is correct.

2. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Luke got a new hand in Dark Empire.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

3. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    Didn't in one of their LOTF duels Lumiya remove Luke's prosthetic hand with her lightwhip?

Vialco likes this.
  4. Darth_Henning

Darth_Henning Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2007
    Luke lost his hand (again) a lot. I think it also malfunctioned/got broken during the GODV series.

5. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Unlike in the sequels, in the old EU Luke stayed a part of society which meant he could have his hand regularly maintained. It was damaged here and there but pretty sure most of the time it just looked like a normal hand, rather than what we got in the sequels.

Malachi108 and Daneira like this.
  6. JD1975

JD1975 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 19, 2015
    Thanks for the replies! I think my confusion stemmed from artwork I'd seen that is from the EU where Luke still wears the glove. So I guess it would be accurate that by the end of the Legacy of the Force series Luke wouldn't wear the glove?

7. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Did the EU ever do anything with this? The comic made a special point of showing and telling us that Luke was being given a "better" hand by the Emperor, very much like it was setting up some sort of plot development later on, but then the whole thing was dropped (at least in the Dark Empire series) and seemingly never came up again. Did any other story ever pick up that thread?

8. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    Yeah. In
    Yeah in those blogs that appeared online on star wars.com a few years ago connected Luke's new prosthetic from the Emperor to Cronal, otherwise known as Blackhole. In his brief stint as Palpatines apprentice, he sought Cronal out and the hand strangled him

9. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    "The Imperial Warlords: Despoilers of an Empire, Part 3" is the blog you're looking for.

10. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    ^:)^

11. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Actually he sought out Cronal long after his time as Palpatine's apprentice - since Cronal got to turn Irek into a cyborg - and that was after Children of the Jedi, which itself was on the order of 2 years after Dark Empire.

It's dated around 15 ABY (11 A-B-Endor)- Palpatine died for the last time in 11 ABY.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  12. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Wait, how many times did he lose his mechanical hand? I only know of the one from Lumiya. It would feel like quite the plot contrivance if it looks like the authors are going "well his hand is replaceable now, why don't we chop it off a few more times?"

13. The Positive Fan

Jan 19, 2015
    Thanks for the info re: Dark Empire, the Tales story, and the blog that tied them together. I wonder what Veitch's original plan for Luke's hand was; the emphasis placed on it in DE #s 4 and 5 suggested it would factor somehow into that story and I've always wondered about that.

14. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    I always thought that Lord Skywalker's new hand in Dark Empire simply symbolised his descent into Vader-like Imperialism, rather than being setup for any plot development to follow.

Just to be confusing, though, I seem to recall a novel later in the timeline - Specter of the Past, maybe? - where Luke removes the batteries of his robotic hand to hotwire his way out of a trap, and that scene implies that he retains his original hand...

The recurrence of the black glove is principally a result of artists using RotJ visual references (which may partially be to do with rights licensing), though possibly, Luke's new DE hand, like Vader's AotC/RotS prosthetic and Qorl's cyborg arm, may be covered directly by a glove rather than synthskin...

- The Imperial Ewok

15. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I believe you're thinking of Heir to the Empire, when he escapes Karrde's prison.

16. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    This may have less to do with the actual hand and more to do with the "artists kept using the glove on post-ROTJ images" thing, but I've always found it interesting that in Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy, Luke's character model had two black gloves.

[​IMG]

TheRedBlade likes this.
  17. The Positive Fan

Jan 19, 2015
    Interesting interpretation, I never thought of it like that. I should go back and reread those issues with that in mind. Back in the day I expected the hand to figure into the story in a literal fashion, like Palpatine could use it to remotely control Luke and force him to duel Leia or something. (I was young, what can I say.)

Off-topic, I know, but I wonder if we'll ever find out how Luke's hand lost its synthskin in canon. It's the same hand, just...naked?

18. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    I think @Dawud786 mentioned this was shown in Legends of Luke Skywalker?

19. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Nom von Anor likes this.
  20. TheRedBlade

TheRedBlade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 17, 2007
    I could have sworn the dialogue setting up his new hand specified that the Emperor wanted him to have something more butch and Imperial-looking.

I assumed Luke's synthskin would just rot away at a certain point. Not organic rot, but crack and crumble like uncared for leather.

21. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Before TLJ, I would have just said that as Luke had just gone off into the woods to live like some wild man, that his synth-hand's skin had just rotted away, particularly from the damage it took during that fateful night at Luke's failed academy, so he had never had time to repair it. Or rather hadn't bothered to, considering he ran off so fast he even left Artoo behind.

Now, I forget if that flashback showed if Luke's hand was still normal looking before things went bad or not. I stopped paying attention to the revisions to that scene, maybe I'll check in a few months when its out on digital.

22. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Surprised the salt water didnt rust and rot away his mech hand after all those years. He must have lubed it with green milk every day.