main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Luke's hand

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by MyDarkstar, Jan 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MyDarkstar

MyDarkstar Jedi Master star 1

Nov 8, 2014
    So, what's up with Luke's hand at the end ? He went from having a slightly damaged prosthetic hand to a completely robotic one. It's not like it got extremely damaged in RoTJ. It didn't rip the entire hand apart.

Here's the flash moment in RoTJ when we see the damage he received from the blast shot on Tatooine :

[​IMG]

That certainly doesn't look like it was damaged enough to warrant this :

[​IMG]

I'm assuming it's gotten further damaged over the years. Does anybody know if there is any further detail in the book or if anything has been spoken by anybody from the film ?

2. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Force Ghost star 4

May 8, 2002
    Well it's been 30 years. He's probably rocking the iHand 7 now.

Ghost, Sarge, Ricardo Funes and 6 others like this.
  3. Dameron

Dameron Jedi Master star 4

Apr 8, 2014
    Anakin's robotic hand looks quite nice — a clockwork mechanism for an expert warrior.

Luke's original hand is more of an "emergency medicine" model. Make the skin match the patient's real skin, reassure them that they have function and feeling, that they look normal. It's not all that durable or strong.

Luke's current hand is much more like Anakin's. Military grade. He's moved up to the good stuff. It doesn't look to me like the inside of his OT hand with skin gone. It's more of a combat model.

4. MilesEdgeworth

MilesEdgeworth Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 22, 2015
    Luke's on an island alone without much female companionship

5. Millennium Falcon 888

Millennium Falcon 888 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    Looks like the hand that can be seen on Arnold's Terminator... Same model perhaps?

Sent from MillenniumFalcon AI using Tapatalk

nightangel and Dameron like this.
  6. RobbyV

RobbyV Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    It was mainly a storytelling device to ensure the audience understood that the person in the vision with R2-D2 was Luke. After all, not everyone watching TFA knows what Luke looks like.

Ricardo Funes and Lulu Mars like this.
  7. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    It is still possible that it is not Luke and instead Luuke,so a different robotic hand. o_O

8. AmySolo

AmySolo Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 12, 2016
    Well yeah, take all the fun out of theorizing. :c

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  9. Jmacq1

Jmacq1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 20, 2005
    My personal belief/theory: Luke deliberately did not repair the cosmetic damage he took in RotJ and instead chose to remove the synthetic flesh covering. He keeps his machine-hand open and bare as a reminder of his father and the path that he himself came dangerously close to treading. Remember, it's looking at Vader's severed robotic hand and then his own that helps pull him back from the brink of the Dark Path in RotJ.

JD1975, Sarge and AmySolo like this.
  10. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    I came into this thread thinking it was about the hand that had BEEN CUT OFF! LOL.
    Anyhoo, it may be that Luke decided to remove the skin covering to make sure and remind himself that he did not ever want to go down his father's path and become "more machine than man". I love that part in RotJ where he cuts off Vader's hand and then looks down at his own mechanical hand.

11. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014
    to avoid this he needs a new job. Losing a hand (or more limbs) is a job risk of all Jedi. o_O

12. AmySolo

Jan 12, 2016
    To be fair, none of the other Jedi we've seen on screen were more machine than man. Not sure of books & the like.

Tho I get the joke, it's more symbolic than a literal thing anyway. Compassion is key to being a Jedi, and clearly dark side users have no use for it.

nightangel and rumblewagon like this.
  13. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Force Ghost star 4

May 8, 2002
    Short answer: in 1980/1983 the couldn't CGI a robotic hand :p

14. AmySolo

Jan 12, 2016
    Oh sure, just bring the logic and take all the fun out of it. :rolleyes:

Ricardo Funes and nightangel like this.
  15. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014
    But when you concsider how easy it is to lose a limb in lightsaber combat, I find it hard to believe that almost no Jedi is injured in this way. ;)

AmySolo likes this.
  16. AmySolo

Jan 12, 2016
    True but that's one of the reasons it's a Jedi weapon & not a stormtrooper's, something about being strong in the force is helpful .. or something. I'm not braining well today but I think you get where I'm going with this. xD

Sarge and nightangel like this.
  17. RobbyV

RobbyV Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015

Ah, so we're going that route, huh?

It was a teaching aid for the really slow padawan: "Robot is right, Flesh is left. Now repeat after me..."

Sarge and AmySolo like this.
  18. Tala Que

Tala Que Jedi Knight

Mar 15, 2013
    Okay, so when the trailer for TFA came out and we saw that shot of R2 with someone putting their mechanical hand on him, I immediately knew it couldn't be Luke because his robotic hand didn't look like that. But My sister kept insisting that maybe something happened and he had to get a replacement. I still didn't believe it.

Then we see the movie and it turns out it WAS Luke. But for some reason he has a different mechanical hand and I can't think of any reason why he would.

Let's say for instance that his hand got chopped off again, why wouldn't he have another realistic replacement like what he got in ESB? I just don't see any reason why it would be different.

Does anyone know or have a theory as to what's up with this?

19. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    Midichlorian overload. His body couldn't contain their numbers anymore. So they ate through his hand to escape. Now he has no power.

Confirmed.

ObiWanKnowsMe likes this.
  20. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014
    o_O

But to be serious, I think it is still the same robotic hand and only burned away the fake skin. ;)

Homergreg likes this.
  21. Breakin2

Breakin2 Jedi Grand Master star 1

May 24, 2002
    Herpes.

22. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    He changed it because a mechanical-looking bionic hand is much cooler.

23. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    Thank goodness this question has been asked...yet again. So often, I visit the forum and wonder, why has no one asked what happened to Luke's hand.......again. Then I wonder which hand might they be asking about? The real hand that was cut off, or the mechanical hand that looks like a real hand in ESB, or the burned mechanical hand that was zapped in RotJ, or the unfleshed mechanical hand at the end of TFA. My mind whirls and whirls at the possibilities.... And yet I'm so thankful that, once again, the question has been asked. Now if I can just remember all the answers.....

Brybe_Daker likes this.
  24. darthOB1

darthOB1 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 22, 2000
    The skin covering was damaged in ROTJ when hit by a blaster. He probably decided to remove all of it instead of repairing it because of the exorbitant cost of Kylo care.

25. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    It went exactly like this.
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.